Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: X-Men: First Class

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: X-Men: First Class Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: X-Men: First Class - 28/5/2011 9:48:39 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larry of Arabia

If you go on Rotten Tomatoes, you can see under Begins' reviews that Kim Newman gave it 4 out of 5.

I tried to post a photo of that earlier, couldn't in here tho. But yeah, it does say that.

Yes it does, I'm on about what was printed in the magazine at the time. I'm not even sure it was Kim Newman who reviewed it then. I'm beginning to doubt myself now but I could swear it had 3 stars. it could've been a typo like I said, either that or I'm going bat-shit crazy.

< Message edited by Spaldron -- 28/5/2011 9:49:10 PM >

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 91
RE: X-Men: First Class - 28/5/2011 10:01:55 PM   
Captain Black

Empire Issue 194. Page 28.

ANY GOOD?
Significantly grittier than previous Bat-beginnings, this finds new things to do with a character who's been around since 1938. In a year when the frachise watchword is dark, the delivers the full noir with a side order of dementia.

Ready for the next bit?

Four stars.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 92
RE: X-Men: First Class - 28/5/2011 10:09:49 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

Empire Issue 194. Page 28.

ANY GOOD?
Significantly grittier than previous Bat-beginnings, this finds new things to do with a character who's been around since 1938. In a year when the frachise watchword is dark, the delivers the full noir with a side order of dementia.

Ready for the next bit?

Four stars.

You lie!!!

I'm going bat-shit crazy.

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 93
RE: X-Men: First Class - 29/5/2011 12:33:54 AM   
Darth Marenghi

It would seem so, Spaldron. I distinctly remember it getting 4 stars from Kim Newman, then him also reviewing the DVD (which is unusual I think) and giving it 5. And then Empire using that as the basis for changing the cinema review to a 5 too on the online copy, which there was a bit of a furore about.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 94
RE: X-Men: First Class - 29/5/2011 1:28:10 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

It would seem so, Spaldron. I distinctly remember it getting 4 stars from Kim Newman, then him also reviewing the DVD (which is unusual I think) and giving it 5. And then Empire using that as the basis for changing the cinema review to a 5 too on the online copy, which there was a bit of a furore about.

You know what, I'm probably getting it confused with another film around the same time. There definitely was a film that got an average review that didn't deserve it and there was a big kick up about it in Empire. It was probably sometime in '05 and I'm getting my tiny brain confused. That's too many years of alcohol abuse for you.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 95
RE: X-Men: First Class - 30/5/2011 10:25:12 AM   
JIm R

Begins defo got four stars upon release chaps.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 96
RE: X-Men: First Class - 30/5/2011 11:26:01 AM   
sanchia

Has anyone seen First Class yet?

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 97
RE: X-Men: First Class - 30/5/2011 12:16:42 PM   
UTB

hahahaha good one Sanchia

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 98
RE: X-Men: First Class - 30/5/2011 2:57:51 PM   
Rgirvan44

I love the summer blockbuster season. 

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 99
Untouchable - 30/5/2011 6:17:33 PM   
Billie73

Let's face it - this film was never going to get under three stars as it has a British Director and alot of Britsih talent involved. Empire never gives a film with alot of British talent in it a poor review (case in pointJames Bond series, Harry Potter series, Star Wars series, Lord of the Rings). Proof: Quantum of Solace was utter shite...how many stars Empire? The Phantom Menace...how many stars Empire?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 100
RE: Untouchable - 30/5/2011 6:32:51 PM   
sanchia

Ooo look now three stars seems to be part of the conspiracy. I wonder if one, two, four and five are also included?

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Billie73)
Post #: 101
RE: Untouchable - 30/5/2011 6:48:05 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Billie73

Let's face it - this film was never going to get under three stars as it has a British Director and alot of Britsih talent involved. Empire never gives a film with alot of British talent in it a poor review (case in pointJames Bond series, Harry Potter series, Star Wars series, Lord of the Rings). Proof: Quantum of Solace was utter shite...how many stars Empire? The Phantom Menace...how many stars Empire?

Great piece of satire showcasing the mind-numbing stupidity of.........oh wait you are being serious oh shit.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Billie73)
Post #: 102
RE: Untouchable - 30/5/2011 6:50:10 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Billie73

And just like that Billie73 steps into my life.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Billie73)
Post #: 103
RE: Untouchable - 30/5/2011 7:20:47 PM   
superdan

This thread is going to go batshit on Wednesday. Can't wait.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 104
RE: Untouchable - 30/5/2011 7:46:48 PM   
Coyleone

I am not a fan of any of the X films but I thought this one looked good from the trailer and it has recieved great reviews for the most part so i'll give it a watch I think.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 105
RE: Untouchable - 30/5/2011 9:13:18 PM   
dangerkid2010

Empire got this one spot on.

Young Charles (Professor X) is a little toff who goes off to Oxford, while young Erik (Magneto) is really angry about an evil Nazi (Kevin Bacon) who killed his mum. At one point he's so angry he throws a coin at a terrible pencil drawing of Kevin Bacon's face. I don't know where he got the drawing from, but it looks like he paid one of those rubbish caricaturists in Leicester Square 10 euros for it

(Charles can read minds - BUT only when he puts two fingers on his left temple.
In one part of the film he had to read someone's mind secretly so has to pretend to be putting his head in hands - that fools them! However, this means you could easily defeat Prof X - the world's most powerful psychic remember - by just tying his hands behind his back.)

They're brought together by the C.I.A. who co-opt the gang to help round up some more mutants and then go after Kevin Bacon.

Somehow Kevin had become young and American and changed his name to Sebastian Shaw. He's got nice hair and is the leader of the Hellfire Club - a bunch of bad mutants who want to trick the US and Russia into starting a nuclear war and wiping out human life. Then Kevin can rule over the world! Sadly the world will then be a pile of radioactive rubbish and not really worth ruling. BUT DON'T WORRY ABOUT THAT.

Luckily Kevin has got a special metal hat that stops anyone reading his brain, so again Charles' power is rendered completely useless.

There are two excellent montage sequences in X-Men: First Class. One where Charles and Erik ponce around the world rounding up mutants for their team to the sound of some Sixties jazz-funk.

(At one point Beast actually says the immortal line: 'But will the world ever be able to accept my big feet?'. Listen, his big feet are pretty big and not very attractive, but I reckon the world probably would accept his big feet. One of his mates can turn into a fish, but he's more worried about having big feet.)

In the second montage, Charles trains all the X-Men to use their powers. Beast runs round the block, Havoc sets fire to a mannequin, Mystique just turns blue again and Magneto makes a satalitte dish turn round. Great for getting a better reception for Sky Sports but quite useless for preventing WWIII.

In the end all the good mutants and the evil mutants and the US/Russian armies have a big stand-off. Erik nicks Kevin Bacon's special hat, ditches Charles and buggers off with all the best mutants. THE END. (Or is it?)

So basically First Class is a bit like a remake of the first X-Men film, if you subsitute Wolverine (the angry, revenge seeking mutant that's hard to control) for Erik, and Sebastian Shaw (the evil, human-hating mutant with designs on world domination) for Magneto. Add in Mystique as the Rogue analouge, and it's pretty much the same film but this time they only spent 2p on the special effects.

X-Men: First Class is alright - I will award it 4 out of 7.

http://popped-corn.blogspot.com/2011/05/x-men-first-class.html

http://popped-corn.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 106
RE: Untouchable - 31/5/2011 1:00:01 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: dangerkid2010

Young Charles (Professor X) is a little toff who goes off to Oxford, while young Erik (Magneto) is really angry about an evil Nazi (Kevin Bacon) who killed his mum. At one point he's so angry he throws a coin at a terrible pencil drawing of Kevin Bacon's face. I don't know where he got the drawing from, but it looks like he paid one of those rubbish caricaturists in Leicester Square 10 euros for it

In one part of the film he had to read someone's mind secretly so has to pretend to be putting his head in hands - that fools them! However, this means you could easily defeat Prof X - the world's most powerful psychic remember - by just tying his hands behind his back.)

They're brought together by the C.I.A. who co-opt the gang to help round up some more mutants and then go after Kevin Bacon.

Somehow Kevin had become young and American and changed his name to Sebastian Shaw. He's got nice hair and is the leader of the Hellfire Club - a bunch of bad mutants who want to trick the US and Russia into starting a nuclear war and wiping out human life. Then Kevin can rule over the world! Sadly the world will then be a pile of radioactive rubbish and not really worth ruling. BUT DON'T WORRY ABOUT THAT.

Luckily Kevin has got a special metal hat that stops anyone reading his brain, so again Charles' power is rendered completely useless.

There are two excellent montage sequences in X-Men: First Class. One where Charles and Erik ponce around the world rounding up mutants for their team to the sound of some Sixties jazz-funk.

(At one point Beast actually says the immortal line: 'But will the world ever be able to accept my big feet?'. Listen, his big feet are pretty big and not very attractive, but I reckon the world probably would accept his big feet. One of his mates can turn into a fish, but he's more worried about having big feet.)

In the second montage, Charles trains all the X-Men to use their powers. Beast runs round the block, Havoc sets fire to a mannequin, Mystique just turns blue again and Magneto makes a satalitte dish turn round. Great for getting a better reception for Sky Sports but quite useless for preventing WWIII.

I should be the first one here to point out that you have to put Spoilers at the head of your review especially if you're going to reveal the ending.

(in reply to dangerkid2010)
Post #: 107
RE: The.......... - 31/5/2011 7:42:29 AM   
riris

I love this movie. X men has been there around us for many years and it is still got its place in its lover till today. So I believe this one will got its place as the other series.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 108
Another Bland Empire review - 31/5/2011 8:41:04 AM   
jace007

Really, how do you get a job as a film reviewer for Empire? XM:FC gets 3/5 stars when other crap gets more?? I'll trust actual friends who've seen previews and tell me a different story. Empire, you should be ashamed!

< Message edited by jace007 -- 31/5/2011 8:42:50 AM >

Post #: 109
RE: Another Bland Empire review - 31/5/2011 9:46:23 AM   
The REAL Bozz

Really hope this film gives us a good Emma Frost or I'll be so annoyed. Not holding my breath.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to jace007)
Post #: 110
RE: Another Bland Empire review - 31/5/2011 10:13:26 AM   
dangerkid2010

quote:

ORIGINAL: jace007

Really, how do you get a job as a film reviewer for Empire? XM:FC gets 3/5 stars when other crap gets more?? I'll trust actual friends who've seen previews and tell me a different story. Empire, you should be ashamed!

i've seen First Class and Empire are 100% right with thier review IMO

(in reply to jace007)
Post #: 111
RE: Untouchable - 31/5/2011 10:15:04 AM   
dangerkid2010

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

I should be the first one here to point out that you have to put Spoilers at the head of your review especially if you're going to reveal the ending.

sorry, will do next time. Although, if Magneto becoming a bad guy is really a spoiler, you need to catch up on your X-Men movies!

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 112
RE: Untouchable - 31/5/2011 10:39:55 AM   
The REAL Bozz

Hows Emma Frost?? Fuck Magneto and Xavier.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

Post #: 113
RE: Another Bland Empire review - 31/5/2011 6:08:07 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jace007

i've seen First Class and Empire are 100% right with thier review IMO

Amazing review sir I salute you, better than the Empire one.

he's ruining my buestiful threat!

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

Post #: 114
RE: Untouchable - 31/5/2011 6:58:07 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: The REAL Bozz

Hows Emma Frost?? Fuck Magneto and Xavier.

That comment does not quite compute the right way around

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 115
RE: Untouchable - 31/5/2011 8:23:45 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

sorry, will do next time. Although, if Magneto becoming a bad guy is really a spoiler, you need to catch up on your X-Men movies!

Actually you gave away a lot more than just "Magneto goes evil", you basically read out the entire film in abbreviated form. And I've seen all the X-Men's thank you.

Post #: 116
RE: X-Men: First Class - 1/6/2011 10:39:20 AM   
Evil.Groovy.Ash

3 stars is pretty spot on for this. It's a good film but the final act lets it down. Feels rushed and the relationship between X & Magneto just dosen't feel solid enough so when he does turn, just nothing there. But the first half with Erik hunting all the nazi's is good. And the look of it all is pretty spot on for the era. And the best line in the film, 'Fuck Off'. You'll know when you see it.

last five films watched:

Bridemaids 2/5
Transformers 3 3/5
Green Lantern 1/5
X-Men First Class 3/5
Hangover 2 1/5

Post #: 117
RE: X-Men: First Class - 1/6/2011 11:38:26 AM   
talpacino

I have my tickets booked for this tonight, really can't wait. Love the first 2, 3rd isnt that bad and I'll even admit to getting some enjoyment out of Wolverine despite it's ridiculousnessness.

Wait, I'm doing this wrong. Arrrghhghh zOMG, 3 out of 5, deserves at least 17 out of 13. raaarghhh, didn't get enough set access, raaarghhh, bribes! Allegations! Raarrghhg Goldman witheld her big bewbs! raarrrgghh inconsistent despite there being completely different reviewers! etc...

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to Evil.Groovy.Ash)
Post #: 118
Empire, misfire. - 1/6/2011 11:48:31 AM   
davidleach2000

Sorry Empire, wrong again. This is easily a four star 8/10 film! Entertaining, exciting, funny, well acted and filled with some excellent CG, it's almost like you can't accept anyone other than Singer producing a good X-Men movie. This had a relentlessness about it that never let up, it was action-packed right off the bat, and although i agree with you that it would have been nice to slow down a jot, this never left me feeling bored, unlike X3 and the woeful Wolverine. Your review reads almost as if you want to find fault with it, and although I agree this isn't as good as X-Men 2, this is easily a contender for the second best of the series.

Post #: 119
A bit harsh Empire! - 1/6/2011 12:26:31 PM   
MiaZappa

This film deserves at least 4 stars! It's bloody fantastic and shouldn't be ranked the same as X-Men: The Last Stand! I'll admit, the accent changes and the switching of languages was a bit goofy, and the third act could've been stronger, but it was good quality stuff overall!

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: X-Men: First Class Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI