Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Oh dear

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Oh dear Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Oh dear - 26/5/2011 2:37:05 PM   
Woger

it's going to be on of those threads; I almost wosh the world ended saturday.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to Big_Pants)
Post #: 61
Kick-Ass wasn't as good as I hoped either. - 26/5/2011 3:33:48 PM   
Cameron1975Williams

Matthew Vaughn's not really lived up to the promise he showed in Layer Cake. Fluke maybe?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 62
RE: More of the same from posters - 26/5/2011 6:03:27 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

My biggest hope is that there is an Avengers tribute with the Hellfire Club.

Well, it's a rip-off to begin with isn't it? They don't want to make it more obvious!

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 63
RE: Kick-Ass wasn't as good as I hoped either. - 26/5/2011 6:18:17 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cameron1975Williams

Matthew Vaughn's not really lived up to the promise he showed in Layer Cake. Fluke maybe?

I dunno.  Kick Ass was pretty kick ass.

(in reply to Cameron1975Williams)
Post #: 64
RE: Kick-Ass wasn't as good as I hoped either. - 26/5/2011 11:17:51 PM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cameron1975Williams

I dunno.  Kick Ass was pretty kick ass.

Seriously ? Each of his film's has been excellently made and been solid in it's completed work, especially Kick Ass which was just superb, his background in production first prior to direction clearly shows.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 65
RE: Kick-Ass wasn't as good as I hoped either. - 27/5/2011 10:53:38 AM   
primebhoy

Johnathon Ross tweets - 'I am coming to the conclusion that Empire Magazine are Idiots. They give X Men First Class 3 stars, and Thor 4!!?? Idiots.'

'Old Man your about one C**t hair away from hillbilly heaven' - Blade II

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 66
RE: Kick-Ass wasn't as good as I hoped either. - 27/5/2011 12:05:14 PM   
UTB

Johnathan Ross gets to play with the screenwriter's bewbs. His opinion is invalid. 

(in reply to primebhoy)
Post #: 67
RE: Kick-Ass wasn't as good as I hoped either. - 27/5/2011 5:55:51 PM   
klause

I'm with J Woss on this one. Thor was 3 stars max. All the reviews I've seen so far for First Class have been positive.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 68
RE: Ross goes nuts over Empire's review of First Class - 27/5/2011 6:14:42 PM   
Darth Marenghi

Ross has also come out with the classic "I think they did a deal with Marvel. Over generous to Thor in return for access to the Avengers set...". Guy should've realised he was never going to look good whinging about reviews of a film his wife wrote.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to klause)
Post #: 69
RE: Ross goes nuts over Empire's review of First Class - 27/5/2011 6:15:53 PM   
Darth Marenghi

EDIT: Post appeared twice for some reason.

< Message edited by Darth Marenghi -- 27/5/2011 7:10:26 PM >

(in reply to klause)
Post #: 70
RE: Ross goes nuts over Empire's review of First Class - 27/5/2011 6:24:36 PM   
superdan

I think in this instance Wossy should be deliberately ignored, given the blatant bias. Besides, three stars is hardly a bad rating.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 71
RE: Ross goes nuts over Empire's review of First Class - 27/5/2011 6:48:04 PM   
sanchia

All well and good standing up for the missus but poor show Mr Ross. Poor show, after all we remember how..eclectic and fawning some of your reviews could appear to people you knew.

quote:

"I think they did a deal with Marvel. Over generous to Thor in return for access to the Avengers set..."

Isn't this also a Marvel film?

< Message edited by sanchia -- 27/5/2011 7:03:09 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 72
RE: Ross goes nuts over Empire's review of First Class - 27/5/2011 7:09:00 PM   
MonsterCat

I challange Rgirvan44 to take on Ross on Twitter.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 73
RE: Ross goes nuts over Empire's review of First Class - 27/5/2011 7:10:03 PM   
MonsterCat

EDIT - Apologies for the double post.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 74
RE: Ross goes nuts over Empire's review of First Class - 27/5/2011 7:12:02 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

All well and good standing up for the missus but poor show Mr Ross. Poor show, after all we remember how..eclectic and fawning some of your reviews could appear to people you knew.

quote:

"I think they did a deal with Marvel. Over generous to Thor in return for access to the Avengers set..."

Isn't this also a Marvel film?

First Class is from Fox as were the other X-Men based films, not Marvel themselves like with Thor and Avengers.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 75
RE: Kick-Ass wasn't as good as I hoped either. - 27/5/2011 10:32:19 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

Johnathan Ross gets to play with the screenwriter's bewbs. His opinion is invalid. 

And what boobs they are!  True though, Ross is hardly impartial on this one.

To be honest, I'm impressed it's get as many as 3 stars - a second spin off from a trilogy whose coffin was nailed shut by a shit, generic second sequel to two films that were pretty different among superhero films is hardly classic material on paper!  Regarding the 3 star rating itself, I've always seen it as a pretty average rating - neither decidedly shit nor especially good.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 76
RE: Kick-Ass wasn't as good as I hoped either. - 28/5/2011 11:41:18 AM   
klause

Still 100% on RT after 17 reviews

(in reply to klause)
Post #: 77
RE: Kick-Ass wasn't as good as I hoped either. - 28/5/2011 11:59:51 AM   
Workshed

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

HAHA!

"Well that's just, like, you're opinion, man"

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 78
RE: More of the same from posters - 28/5/2011 4:54:01 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

If you think it's more of the same from Empire how have you managed to miss this being brought up and debunked in virtually every 'big' or fanboy movie review thread in the past 5 or more years?

A review is an individual opinion, not a committee 'consensus'. And if the committee 'consensus' didn't agree with what you expect, then you'd still just query that anyway.

The only issue here is the review doesn't meet your expectations of what you think it should be. That isn't the reviews fault, and the reviewer doesn't have to agree with you because we're talking about opinions here. And I emphasise the 'think' because, of course, you're choosing to criticise the review without actually having seen the film.

That's fairly common round here too

I can give a few reasons for Empire's 3* review.

1. The reviewer genuinely didn't think too highly of the film (most likely reason).
2. Its not that good (unlikely giving the other reviews).
3. It was a political decision, specifically referring to the criticism Empire has had on these boards and elsewhere about giving good reviews to their "mates" (ie; Vaughn, Goldman, Pegg, Wright etc). Thus they gave it an average mark to silence that criticism.

In the end the 3* will probably go up to 4* on dvd. Remember they gave Batman Begins 3* on release, only changing it later when they realised how stupidly wrong they were.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 79
RE: More of the same from posters - 28/5/2011 5:05:15 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

If you think it's more of the same from Empire how have you managed to miss this being brought up and debunked in virtually every 'big' or fanboy movie review thread in the past 5 or more years?

A review is an individual opinion, not a committee 'consensus'. And if the committee 'consensus' didn't agree with what you expect, then you'd still just query that anyway.

The only issue here is the review doesn't meet your expectations of what you think it should be. That isn't the reviews fault, and the reviewer doesn't have to agree with you because we're talking about opinions here. And I emphasise the 'think' because, of course, you're choosing to criticise the review without actually having seen the film.

3. It was a political decision, specifically referring to the criticism Empire has had on these boards and elsewhere about giving good reviews to their "mates" (ie; Vaughn, Goldman, Pegg, Wright etc). Thus they gave it an average mark to silence that criticism.

Except point 3 is also poppycock. Empire have repeatedly stated the review is the reviewer's opinion. Stating otherwise is a possibility is little different to calling them liars and the rubbish about giving good reviews to their 'mates' and undeserved scores to promote their mates' films is libel. See your av.

DVD reviews often (in fact generally if Neth's extensive research to debunk another posters idiot nonsense about this) are done by different people, hence different scores. Or are even done by the same person who's seen more in a film on a rewatch - and we have all dont that. And what they did with another random film - where they foolishly found someone who gave it more than it deserved on DVD - has nothing to do with this other completely nothing to do with that one film.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 80
RE: More of the same from posters - 28/5/2011 5:34:47 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

quote:

quote:

Except point 3 is also poppycock. Empire have repeatedly stated the review is the reviewer's opinion. Stating otherwise is a possibility is little different to calling them liars and the rubbish about giving good reviews to their 'mates' and undeserved scores to promote their mates' films is libel. See your av.

DVD reviews often (in fact generally if Neth's extensive research to debunk another posters idiot nonsense about this) are done by different people, hence different scores. Or are even done by the same person who's seen more in a film on a rewatch - and we have all dont that. And what they did with another random film - where they foolishly found someone who gave it more than it deserved on DVD - has nothing to do with this other completely nothing to do with that one film.

I didn't say Empire had been giving good reviews to their mates, I merely acknowledged that it has been said on these threads from time to time. And I pointed out that the most likely reason for the 3 * was the reviewers opinion, my post was to try and curb the conspiracies posted above.

And I'm more than aware that dvd reviews are done by different people and therefore different opinion. Although it should be pointed out that the 3* Batman Begins review is nowhere to be found on the website. In fact it has inexplicably shot up to 5* now! Going from 3 to 5* is quite a jump in such a short time considering the dvd review gave it 4* if my memory serves me.

Strange.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 81
RE: More of the same from posters - 28/5/2011 6:47:10 PM   
elab49

Not really no. Reviews are generally done after the press screening - so I'd assume for most it's based on a single viewing of the film. And if that's your opinion there was no need for 'possibility no. 3' - was there? Which suggests a 'fiddled' review just as much as the other suggestions. Empire has shown in the past they have little patience for this BS, and rightly so. Tucking it at the bottom with maybes makes little difference. Your post offered 3 options with an entirely new conspiracy theory tucked in there.

And you're still talking about a random film that has nothing to do with this one. If you wish to continue a discussion on Empire reviewing generally then please take it to the existing thread in Empire Magazine.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 82
RE: X-Men: First Class - 28/5/2011 7:25:59 PM   
Larry of Arabia

quote:

And I'm more than aware that dvd reviews are done by different people and therefore different opinion. Although it should be pointed out that the 3* Batman Begins review is nowhere to be found on the website. In fact it has inexplicably shot up to 5* now! Going from 3 to 5* is quite a jump in such a short time considering the dvd review gave it 4* if my memory serves me.

Strange.

Batman Begins got 4 stars on release and 5 on DVD, both reviews by Kim Newman I think.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 83
RE: X-Men: First Class - 28/5/2011 8:49:42 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larry of Arabia

quote:

Strange.

Batman Begins got 4 stars on release and 5 on DVD, both reviews by Kim Newman I think.

No it got 3* on release and 4* on dvd. I still have the Empire issue and my memory is good on this one.

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 84
RE: X-Men: First Class - 28/5/2011 8:52:33 PM   
rich

Begins definately got 4 on release. Since I remember Total Film giving it 5. You can actually trust me on that.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 85
RE: X-Men: First Class - 28/5/2011 8:55:44 PM   
Hood_Man

I'm pretty sure Begins go 4 stars when it was cinemas and 5 stars when it was released on DVD.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 86
RE: X-Men: First Class - 28/5/2011 9:23:14 PM   
adambatman82

Edit.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 28/5/2011 9:24:35 PM >

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 87
RE: X-Men: First Class - 28/5/2011 9:25:41 PM   
Spaldron

It got 3 stars on release. I've got the magazine somewhere in storage but I can't be arsed digging around for it but if someone has a copy to hand then we can clear this up. I distinctly remember a bit of a furore over the score at the time. Unless it was a misprint.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 88
RE: X-Men: First Class - 28/5/2011 9:36:45 PM   
Larry of Arabia

If you go on Rotten Tomatoes, you can see under Begins' reviews that Kim Newman gave it 4 out of 5.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 89
RE: X-Men: First Class - 28/5/2011 9:43:02 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larry of Arabia

If you go on Rotten Tomatoes, you can see under Begins' reviews that Kim Newman gave it 4 out of 5.

I tried to post a photo of that earlier, couldn't in here tho. But yeah, it does say that.

According to wiki BB came second in the magazine's top ten of the year too, which would be odd if it had received such an average review.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 28/5/2011 9:46:34 PM >

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Oh dear Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI