Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Top marks

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Top marks Page: <<   < prev  12 13 14 15 [16]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Top marks - 8/11/2011 7:58:20 AM   
cadz

This is the finest Xmen movie since Singer's last effort, possibly even the best but time (and the help of further sequels that fill the gap) will tell for certain.
The only point I do agree with in Jolin's middling review is that of Fassbender's 'accent' change in the last 20 minutes..as a fellow southern Irishman I picked up on it straight away, it was a strange part of the experience but still didn't take too much away from such a solid effort all the same.
not going overboard on the 60's setting is actually a positive, the Cuban missile crisis side of the plot is a pleasant tongue in cheek addition also. A great ensemble ensures this one never drags, good effort all around.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 451
- 10/11/2011 7:14:11 PM   
adammac467

I believe this is a great film, the best one yet. i preferred it to the first 3 x mens because they just start into the story without explaining how all these people had ended up here, i think it shouldve been the first movie to be released. i also love the way it makes you change your view slightly on magneto, because i always considered him to be just the bad guy with no feelings or any mercy, and that is just pure evil, but after seeing this movie, i really get to see things from his point of view, and you understand why he has such a hatred for mankind. overall i think its a great movie

Post #: 452
X-Men: First Class Review - 14/12/2011 4:19:46 PM   
the film man

With a strong script, stylish direction, and powerful performances from its well-rounded cast, X-Men: First Class is a welcome return to form for the franchise, if not the best in the franchise.

Post #: 453
I'm sure it's been said - 15/12/2011 4:22:59 PM   
petethejakey

But why didn't this match up with the original trilogy time-lines?

If it's not the same universe, why have the same footage from the concentration camp, and Hugh Jackman?

Weird.

Post #: 454
X Men First Class - 23/2/2012 11:08:58 PM   
lynnshep

Good not great. Great cast. Okay plot. Bacon is great and the ensemble shows promise for later films.

Post #: 455
X Men First Class - 23/2/2012 11:08:59 PM   
lynnshep

Good not great. Great cast. Okay plot. Bacon is great and the ensemble shows promise for later films.

Post #: 456
First class - 25/4/2012 1:17:35 AM   
antosh25

A bit stail in places, but good and logical film.
Deserves a sequel.

Post #: 457
X-Men: First Class - 27/11/2012 3:35:34 PM   
ajm1991

Sharing flavors of Bond and Batman, Vaughn has came up with something cooler,colorful & vibrant like 'Kick- Ass' with mutants this time. Its one of the best I seen from Marvel which as it is less cliched. 

< Message edited by elab49 -- 15/12/2012 1:05:05 PM >

Post #: 458
X-Men First Class Review - 21/2/2013 4:01:08 PM   
The Serenity

ďA great film, giving a great insight to the origin of the X-Men with some great acting as well.Ē

This Review Contains Minor Spoilers!

Director: Matthew Vaughn | Writers: Ashley Miller, Zack Stentz | Genre: Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi, Superhero | Rating: PG13 | Cast: James McAvoy (Charles Xavier), Michael Fassbender (Erik Lensherr), Kevin Bacon (Sebastian Shaw), Rose Brynn (Moria McTaggert), Jennifer Lawrence (Raven), January Jones (Emma Frost), Nicholas Hoult (Beast) | Runtime: 132 mins

I really enjoyed X-Men: First Class. Whilst I missed it at the cinema, Iíve seen it twice on DVD and the viewing experience does not decrease whilst watching it. Itís the second best X-Men film so far in my book, behind the incredible X2, but it ranks better than the rest. Whoíd have thought that a X-Men film without Wolverine would be better than a Wolverine-centric story? Because in so many ways, X-Men: First Class is awesome. The script, despite a few flaws Ė is great, and the leading roles of James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender steal the show, with some superb acting that really give this film a distinctive feel. Itís fresh, and much more modern than the previous X-Trilogy leading me to wonder what would happen if the original trilogy was released in the near future, especially on the other side of films like The Dark Knight Rises and the rest of Christopher Nolanís awesome Batman trilogy, as well as Joss Whedonís brilliant Avengers. This film itself was released a year before the aforementioned two films hit the cinemas, and really provided us with a great look at what is hopefully a positive move forward in the X-Men film universe.

"Before Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr took the names Professor X and Magneto, they were two young men discovering their powers for the first time. Before they were archenemies, they were closest of friends, working together, with other Mutants (some familiar, some new), to stop the greatest threat the world has ever known. In the process, a rift between them opened, which began the eternal war between Magnetoís Brotherhood and Professor Xís X-MEN.

[The summary is borrowed from IMDB]

The film has a backdrop of the 60s and the Cold War and with it comes a wealth of historical possibilities. X-Men: First Class had the potential to cover so many things right from the Civil Rights Movement to Kennedyís assassination and beyond, but it chose to focus on the build up to the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962, completely overshadowing the aforementioned events right to the point where the Civil Rights Movement isnít even mentioned at all.

Iíd love to have seen what an X-Men film could have done with the Civil Rights Movement Ė it had such a great potential. But unwasted potential isnít the only thing that goes amiss here, thereís just too many cast, and there are plenty of continunity errors from the first X-Men film, which Iíll touch on later. As the action is focused mainly on Xavier, Erik, Raven, Beast and the new recruits for the X-Men, our attention on the villains is rather limited and we only get Shaw and Emma Frost at centre stage. These two characters are acted brilliantly though Ė but I would have loved to have seen more of the villains who were neglected Ė Azazel, the red-skinned demon and Riptide being just two examples.

The same can be said for Xavierís students as well Ė there are just too many characters. I never get to feel sympathy for Angel and she comes across as a jerk right from the get go, and one dimensional. Darwin never gets a chance to shine, and the fact that his powers are attuned to survival is kind of awkward considering heís the first mutant to meet his end. In a pretty awesome way though, but Iíd still rather have seen more of him than Angel, but characters such as Banshee and Havok were pretty cool even if their apperances were only limited to the training montages and the final showdown in Cuba.

I mentioned earlier about continuity errors, and thereís a whole lot of them in this film. Xavier mentions at one point in the original X-Men films (I think itís X1, to Logan), that Jean Grey and Scott Summers were his first students. Now I think what this film ideally needed was to have cut down on the kids, saved them for the sequel Ė and focused heavily on Xavier, Erik and the introductions of Jean and Scott with the Hellfire Club as the villain. There are more continunity errors in First Class as well, but I canít recall them all whilst writing this review.

Iíve talked nothing good about this film since the summary and youíre probably starting to wonder why I think it deserves the ranking of the second best X-Men film if all Iíve had to say about it is bad things. Thatís not true Ė for X-Men: First Class is a stunning film. The visuals and special effects are great, but the strongest point in this film is easily the two leads, Erik and Charles. Fassbender plays a brilliant Erik Lensherr and Charles Xavier is played greatly by James McAvoy and I really think his performance of the young Charles is the standout moment in this film. There are several awesome nods to the future trilogy as well, with lines such as this:

Hank McCoy: Are you sure we canít shave your head?
Professor Charles Xavier: Donít touch my hair.

That really demonstrate just how McAvoy steals the show. Nicholas Hoult also puts in a strong performance as Hank, and even though heís overshadowed by the lead characters and arguably Jennifer Lawrence Ė playing as Mystique and Kevin Baconís Sebastian Shaw, heís in my opinion Ė the fifth best actor in the cast. The performances are all strong though and I never felt any actor/actress put in a worse performance than others Ė they just didnít have enough screentime.

The action in this film is wide and varied, and the plot is pretty enjoyable. My favourite moment in the film is the training scene at their new mansion, where several fast clips of Charles training the array of mutants Ė Hank, Erik and more Ė and combined with the awesome soundtrack First Class, the film is made even more epic Ė and you can just as easily put aside the weak elements in the film for the fact that it sets out to give you a really enjoyable and entertaining flick, with Vaughn having created a much better installment than Origins: Wolverine and using getting away with a lot of violence for its rating in a very similiar way to what The Dark Knight did, even if First Class has a lighter tone to it than Nolanís second Batman film.

VERDICT: 4/5

A good film with some great action sequences and acting from the lead stars, but suffers from the weakness of having too many characters and a whole lot of wasted potential for an X-Men film set in the 1960s. But it certainly is entertaining though, and is easily the second best X-Men film to date.

< Message edited by The Serenity -- 21/2/2013 4:03:57 PM >

Post #: 459
Entertaining - 18/3/2013 8:18:19 PM   
Mr Gittes

Normally I'd only give this movie three and a half stars for the following reasons: the bad performances from some of the younger actors, some parts of the movie felt rushed, a couple of unnecessary characters and most of all the impact of the third act (which should have been the movie's ace-card due to some powerful story points) is weakened by awful special effects and Michael Fassbender's bizarre accent change.

However, for James McAvoy alone and since the movie was good enough to give me hope for the X-franchise again, I'm going to round my rating up to four stars. So, it sure as hell isn't X2 but it's fresh and exciting enough to be worth your time.

< Message edited by Mr Gittes -- 18/3/2013 8:20:17 PM >

Post #: 460
Best of the lot - 4/3/2014 12:00:13 PM   
Samurai7

By far the best of the bunch.

Post #: 461
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 14 15 [16]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Top marks Page: <<   < prev  12 13 14 15 [16]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI