Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: X-Men: First Class

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: X-Men: First Class Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: X-Men: First Class - 9/6/2011 9:52:11 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir
And what's all this about style? The Austin Powers submarine? The generic 60s songs? The Fembot, I mean Emma Frost?

So true.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 331
RE: X-Men: First Class - 10/6/2011 11:44:02 AM   
darth silas

I definetly got an Austin Powers vibe off the movie.The endless parade of scantily clad women,the montages,the music,and Shaws submarine laiiiiirrrr.I expected Dr Evil to show up

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 332
RE: X-Men: First Class - 10/6/2011 1:06:45 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

Genuinely stunned by the positive response to this film.

Yeah, people's views of this movie differ from yours. What's next? Cats and dogs living together? Mass hysteria?

Evil Dead 4 gets greenlit.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 333
RE: X-Men: First Class - 10/6/2011 2:09:01 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

I definetly got an Austin Powers vibe off the movie.The endless parade of scantily clad women,the montages,the music,and Shaws submarine laiiiiirrrr.I expected Dr Evil to show up

There's a motherfucking submarine lair in this?

Okay, that's me sold.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 334
Although it pains me... - 10/6/2011 2:17:08 PM   
kickpuncher

I've got to say I was really disappointed. Not so much in the general execution as the tone. There were endless groaners in the script, which really needed another dialogue polish, and some of the effects and costumes were just silly - I'm looking at you, Beast. But my main problem was that Goldman and Vaughn just didn't seem to be taking it seriously. I'm aware the premise is innately ridiculous, but Singer's X-Men works because it brings a sense of gravitas to the proceedings. And I don't know why, but Jennifer Lawrence just doesn't look right in Mystique's full blue get-up. Normally I roll my eyes at people who giggle in these films, but I couldn't even bring myself to be annoyed with them. By all means do the sequel, but I think a new team is needed, particularly on Script duty.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 335
x men first class - 10/6/2011 2:40:28 PM   
rottenjohnnie23

I came out of the cinema dissapointed and rather annoyed at the amount of praise this film has been given.All the female roles were reduced to simple eye candy,especially January Jones's part.At times it felt like Benny Hill was directing there was that much flesh on display.All this did was trivalise the female characters.Wolverine's one line caused histerical laughter in the cinema but just made me wish for Bryan Singer to come back.Its sad when a character like Wolverine is reduced to comedy swearing and as for Magneto's wandering accent,i think Russel Crowe would have been proud.Add to this lot shoddy cgi towards the end and some very disjointed plotting its just not the film it could have been.I must be the only person in the country who thought Kick Ass was over rated and i just dont think Mathew Vaughan is quite the director he's cracked up to be.After this i can only fear for the worst for Zack Snyders take on Superman.

Post #: 336
X-Men: First Class. - 10/6/2011 4:21:38 PM   
ashleyrhys

The first X-Men films have been nothing but a disappointment. They had massive budgets, an all-star cast of top class actors (bar a few) and they were underused and wrongly directed so that their talents were wasted. They couldn't save what was a hugely boring trilogy. The story lines seemed to disappear, film by film and by X-Men: The Last Stand I'd had enough of the series. I still can't escape these atrocities now. They're constantly on TV which speaks for itself. They clearly bring in a lot of viewers. That doesn't make them good though. For example, About a Boy is always on TV and that's one of the worst films in the world.

Plot: In 1963, Charles Xavier starts up a school and later a team, for humans with superhuman abilities. Among them is Erik Lensherr, his best friend... and future arch-enemy.

Matthew Vaughn was asked to direct The Last Stand but turned it down to make Stardust. A so-so move. Vaughn claimed that it wouldn't be him directing as it already had a cast, a story line and needed no real direction. He said that if he ever wanted to do an X-Men film that he would reinvent the series. He stuck to his guns and got the backing to create yet another origin story. He didn't rewrite the origin to fit modern times, he delved back into the '60s to truly recreate the series. Charles Xavier (James McAvoy) a walking man with long hair and Erik Lehnsherr (Michael Fassbender) as Xavier's partner in good. Before their famous aliases as Professor X and Magneto. Before the X-Men academy and before Magneto's attempt at exterminating the human race.

The X-Men have always taken the risk of not truly developing their characters by doing team films, with the exception of Wolverine's origin (terrible). The character development in this is staggering but sometimes a little rushed. It's great to see some unusual and unfamiliar characters in this one. For example, the only real characters (bar the main two) from the quadrilogy are Mystique and Beast. This gives

Post #: 337
RE: The.......... - 10/6/2011 11:38:29 PM   
blackduck

Overall loved this movie, right up there with X2. Thing is, it's more of a superhero drama than action movie. Only a few things I didn't like.
Minor irritant, Bashee should be Irish, not sayin it should be exactly as the comic, just we don't get many superheros, we'll keep what we get, even the lame ones.
But Magnetos strange Irish accent near the end kinda makes up for it.

Beast, apart from looking shite, did he have to invent everything.....

Prof X and Mysteque, Didn't see the point, actually if she swapped with beast the roles would have made more sense.

Also would have been nice to keep prof X out of the chair, Save that for the sequel.

I am but an egg.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 338
RE: X-Men: First Class - 11/6/2011 8:16:53 AM   
andrewmac1

I saw this movie 2 times in a day. I love the acting and the story. The directory is perfect. Overall it's a 9/10

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 339
X Men: Nearly first class - 11/6/2011 9:23:34 AM   
markgt

There is a lot to like about this film, Michael Fassbender is great as Magneto, his early scenes are really good, and McAvoy makes a good young professor X too.

You get the feeling they wanted to make X-men meets James Bond, but unfortunately it too often feels more like X-men meets Austin Powers.

I agree with Empire that it feels rushed, but I am hopeful that the same team will get it right, should there be a follow up.

Post #: 340
RE: Better than thor - 11/6/2011 6:35:29 PM   
princessa

Agree with the reviewer.

I thought that the film was okay but it took too long to get going.  It definitely felt rushed in places.  The plot could have been better.

The younger X-Men for the most part weren't interesting enough for me and they weren't really given much to do until the near end.

Fassbender, McAvoy and Bacon were excellent.

However i prefer the other X-Men movies to this one.  I don't think i'll be seeing the next movie.

(in reply to neillbert90)
Post #: 341
RE: Better than thor - 11/6/2011 8:24:03 PM   
ky

Going to keep this short to avoid a rant, but basically, there wasn't one part of this film that I actually enjoyed.

I wasn't expecting to love it, but at least hoped I might like it. Wrong. Thought the script was terrible, Beast looked absolutely ridiculous, Xavier's 'finger to temple ... mmm ... concentrate' move was naff, the use of the F word was gratuitous and only put in to please stupid 13 year-old boys, as was Rose Byrne's having to strip off at the start and Emma Frost's 'costume'.

It felt as if I was watching a Roger Moore Bond film, or as many people have suggested, Austin Powers. As an avid X-Men fan, I felt that this film was totally unworthy of the franchise. At no point did I feel that it belonged in the X-universe, and the material deserves so much better.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve in making this. Do most casual filmgoers even care about how Professor X and Magneto became enemies? Did it warrant an entire film? And don't get me started on how terribly inaccurate it was to the comics, and even to the other films! The Hellfire Club as a Spectre-style group who use a submarine?! Moira MacTaggart as an American CIA agent?! Magneto's wandering accent?! And why were the effects so poor towards the end (mainly the flying scenes with Banshee and Angel)?!

I know he has his fans, but Matthew Vaughn's blown it for me -Stardust was okay, Kick-Ass is a juvenile, gratuitous, overrated mess, and this is truly awful.

Sorry, know I ended up ranting after all, and I know people will disagree with me, but I'm just really disappointed in Marvel for allowing such a poor, unfaithful film to be made with one of their biggest franchises, after their recent films have been so good. I know that they haven't been as involved with this as with Thor and Iron Man, but I doubt this will win X-Men any new fans.

Rant over.

"You forgot to say please."

Check out my blog, and feel free to post comments:

http://cinemaguts.blogspot.com/

(in reply to princessa)
Post #: 342
RE: Better than thor - 11/6/2011 8:32:27 PM   
darth silas

I dont understand why Fassbender is getting so many positive notices for his role as Eric Lensherr/Magneto.His accent was all over the place and his slipping into his full on irish brogue when he put on the helmet was unintentionally funny!

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to ky)
Post #: 343
RE: Better than thor - 11/6/2011 9:52:05 PM   
ky

Agree with that. I thought he was okay at times, but his accent was appalling.

Really annoyed that I spent £17 on tickets for this film and took nothing positive away from it. Been a long time since that happened!

And what makes it worse is that I ended up having to shout at a bunch of vile little 12 year-olds for talking, which should surely be the job of the staff - does anyone else remember the days when cinema workers would stand in the room for the whole running time?

"You forgot to say please."

Check out my blog, and feel free to post comments:

http://cinemaguts.blogspot.com/

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 344
Loved it! - 12/6/2011 1:17:43 PM   
space_dementia

I loved this movie, the action scenes were very well shot, Fassbender stole the show as Magneto. The bar scene during the first 30 mins was fantastic, and the coin through the head moment...I feel will become a classic.

I've never read the comics and yet to own the previous 4 movies, so I dont consider myself a hardcore X-men fan, but this movie deffinatly won me over into the franchise. I will now get the other movies.

It came accross as more of a Magneto origin story, but I feel thats why i enjoyed it so much, i found it very emotional, one scene in perticular, that requires moving a very large object, brought a tear to my eye. (wunt describe scene inscase of spoiler)

Not the best movie of the year for me...but one I probaly enjoyed the most. Empire giving it a 3 stars I dont understand, this is a solid 4 star movie, in my opinion.

Post #: 345
Why so serious? - 12/6/2011 5:57:25 PM   
Sanya

Better then all previous parts except the 1st but for 2 hours they try to show us with serious face that Carribean crysis was about some shit with mutants, yes , good actor's job but very little humour in the story about freaks

Post #: 346
RE: Why so serious? - 12/6/2011 11:20:25 PM   
Vadersville

I hold little hope for the future of X-Men films. First the dire Wolverine Origins and now First Class. Fox, not only are you insistent on fucking up the continuity of franchise but you are adamant about doing it through the method of telling bland and ultimately pointless stories. This was supposed to be the tale of how they become the characters we know yet they end the film the same way they started. Zero character development! The only highlight being Fassbender who is fantatsic as Erik in the first half but even he is crinimally wasted with little to do but look cool and do his best with a infuriating crap script that tries to cram too much into one film and remains slow paced. 

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to Sanya)
Post #: 347
RE: Why so serious? - 13/6/2011 12:51:47 AM   
threshold

I soon as the credits rolled I was just like "F*** this I'm giving it 5 STARS!!!" But unfortunately I have found some negative points. The very razzle-dazzle special effects, as bright and wonderful as they are, are just sort of a bit dodgy for me, where I could easily tell the green screen.

As well as that there are minor fanboy quibbles:
First of all weren't Banshee and Moira Mactaggert meant to be IRISH???? (Although I forgave it after I remembered this movie is absurdly American and Patriotic)

The almost Power-rangers-ish costume of beast was absurd, but Mystique and Azezel's costuming was superb and made up for it.

Why the Hell was Riptide in there? (If you don't know who he is, he's the whirlwind cohort of Sebastian Shaw) he seriously sucks as a character (non speaking role) and he just was a waste of a pay check that could've been easily replaced with someone else with a better power/character (my ideal replacement would be Harry Leland [he’s a character in marvel not an actor])

But other than that I loved every minute of it.
I won't write a full review on it, but I'll list the best scenes, characters and acting (just because I find this fun.

Best Scene: There are many, but my personal favourite was Azezel (so underused, but so brilliant) Shaw (Kevin Bacon being awesome) and Riptide (yuk) infiltrating the mutant centre killing absolutely everyone. The bad guys actually created terror in me, which I miss in action movies.

Best Characters: Xavier, Banshee (with an adorable lisp/weird accent), Azezel (very underused and can't wait to see more of him in the sequel), Mystique, Beast, and even Moira. But the standout here is Sebastian Shaw; I just loved every minute of him. He enjoys being evil, but he has every right to be so (at least in his eyes) and you've gotta admit, has a pretty cool power.

Best acting: Michael Fassbender is very amazing making a character that would've been boring if played by another person, and he even looked a bit like Ian Mckellen (who was every bit as good as him) and James Mcavoy has a very good rapport with EVERYONE, he is as every bit as good as Magneto while being the opposite character to him.
They are truly the breakouts of this film. (Along with Kevin Bacon, who I think should get more love)
This movie deals with the idea of xenophobia and racism, both of which were explored in X-men and X2, but this movie deals with it brilliantly. Reason being is that while X-men 1 &2 showed their racism by showing crowds of angry people holding signs up, this shows in close quarters how it feels to be different, and how people feel they should be part of society. Even simpler aspects are briefly seen in here such as good and evil. The quote from Xavier to Magneto saying “The most power comes in the middle of rage and serenity” was so memorable and reminiscent of Yoda’s speeches.
In the movie many people have said how Magneto and Xavier have a friend relationship, but I see this relationship between them as a mentor relationship. Xavier here is obviously the smarter mentor type while Erik is the rash, angry “padawan” if you will.

But despite all of the smart aspects of this movie it’s nothing more than an action movie. But it’s a bloody brilliant action movie at that!!!!!!!!!!! 4.5/5

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 348
Mature and Intelligent: This is actually a good thing! - 13/6/2011 1:01:29 AM   
Mindwick

Unlike Thor that was half intelligent and half goofy childish humor, this is a mature and intelligent film, and for someone who is him/herself mature and intelligent this is also entertaining.
I know there's people for whom that which is intelligent is not entertaining. They hate multilayered storylines and just love their movies to be simplistic and childish like the Fantastic Four. They actually condemn good movies because they were not as immature as they would like them to be.These are the people who may have liked JarJar in Star Wars and who found Lord of the Rings "tiresome." I get it. They are like the music critics in the 70's who criticized amazing bands like King Crimson or Pink Floyd for being "too ambitious and difficult" and then lavished praise on pop crap.
I just hope these serious fantasy films, like Iron Man, are successful so we do not end up with more Thor-like films. And although I don’t like pseudo-history (mutants creating the Cuban missile crisis), I can forgive it if the whole picture is fair.

Post #: 349
RE: Mature and Intelligent: This is actually a good thing! - 13/6/2011 6:16:30 PM   
munro7

Quick question - was there a post-credits bit? And if so could someone (in spoilers if need be) reveal what it was please?

It's only funny till someone loses an eye.

(in reply to Mindwick)
Post #: 350
RE: Mature and Intelligent: This is actually a good thing! - 13/6/2011 7:01:23 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mindwick

Unlike Thor that was half intelligent and half goofy childish humor, this is a mature and intelligent film, and for someone who is him/herself mature and intelligent this is also entertaining.
I know there's people for whom that which is intelligent is not entertaining. They hate multilayered storylines and just love their movies to be simplistic and childish like the Fantastic Four. They actually condemn good movies because they were not as immature as they would like them to be.These are the people who may have liked JarJar in Star Wars and who found Lord of the Rings "tiresome." I get it. They are like the music critics in the 70's who criticized amazing bands like King Crimson or Pink Floyd for being "too ambitious and difficult" and then lavished praise on pop crap.
I just hope these serious fantasy films, like Iron Man, are successful so we do not end up with more Thor-like films. And although I don’t like pseudo-history (mutants creating the Cuban missile crisis), I can forgive it if the whole picture is fair.

Anyone who describes Iron Man as a serious fantasy film can't be taken seriously.

(in reply to Mindwick)
Post #: 351
RE: Mature and Intelligent: This is actually a good thing! - 13/6/2011 7:38:00 PM   
Mindwick

No, there is no post credits scene. This was filmed by a different studio so I guess there will be no X-Men appearing in the Avengers movie.

(in reply to munro7)
Post #: 352
RE: Mature and Intelligent: This is actually a good thing! - 13/6/2011 10:18:41 PM   
Deviation

DEAR GOD I LOVED THIS. It's a clear cut example of how one should do a blockbuster, and it even had a great soundtrack, a first in the series. A solid 4 stars from me.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to Mindwick)
Post #: 353
RE: Mature and Intelligent: This is actually a good thing! - 14/6/2011 1:55:05 PM   
Ditto_Head

I'm seeing this tomorrow and my hopes aren't high. Wolverine was abysmal and this doesn't sound like it's much better.

They peed on your rug?

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 354
RE: Mature and Intelligent: This is actually a good thing! - 14/6/2011 4:56:46 PM   
theoriginalcynic

Fantastic.  The best film I've seen this year.  Three stars is a little mean Empire, I'd rate it four. 

Spoilers!!! Ok, I could nitpick and say why did Charles tell Mystique to go (I know why she wanted to.) or why didn't Bacon just kill them all when he had the chance.  But every film has a few dodgy plot points, still, this is a comic book fans wet dream.  Great special effects and lots of nods to the future, superb acting.  Loved it.  No Stan Lee cameo though - which I was waiting for

Empire makes some good points (in the review) but when a film is this entertaining, I don't really care about minor plot discrepancies.

< Message edited by theoriginalcynic -- 14/6/2011 5:06:29 PM >

(in reply to Ditto_Head)
Post #: 355
RE: Mature and Intelligent: This is actually a good thing! - 14/6/2011 4:57:59 PM   
theoriginalcynic

quote:

ORIGINAL: munro7

Quick question - was there a post-credits bit? And if so could someone (in spoilers if need be) reveal what it was please?

I second this.  Edit: never mind I've just read the answer above.

< Message edited by theoriginalcynic -- 14/6/2011 4:58:49 PM >

(in reply to munro7)
Post #: 356
RE: Mature and Intelligent: This is actually a good thing! - 14/6/2011 7:03:42 PM   
Deviation

SPOILERS

quote:

Ok, I could nitpick and say why did Charles tell Mystique to go (I know why she wanted to.)

Their ideologies clearly started to diverge and the relationship between them was being destroyed.

quote:

why didn't Bacon just kill them all when he had the chance.

When did he have the chance?

quote:

quote:

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 357
RE: Mature and Intelligent: This is actually a good thing! - 14/6/2011 7:26:59 PM   
theoriginalcynic

Bacon.  When he went to meet them and he took 'flying girl' or whatever you call her!

Charles wouldn't let his best friend go off with Magneto, who just tried to kill thousands of people.  It was a QUICK lets wrap everything up moment...

< Message edited by theoriginalcynic -- 14/6/2011 7:31:21 PM >

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 358
RE: Mature and Intelligent: This is actually a good thing! - 14/6/2011 7:39:19 PM   
Deviation

quote:

Bacon. When he went to meet them and he took 'flying girl' or whatever you call her!

Guess he imagined they were no threat, he killed Darwin without any problem.

quote:

Charles wouldn't let his best friend go off with Magneto, who just tried to kill thousands of people.  It was a QUICK lets wrap everything up moment...

Yea, him accepting it was a tad sudden and so was Angel's defection to Shaw, it was a minor problem in the film. Still it was shown that the relationship between Raven and Charles was breaking down and Magneto was just reacting against the humans who fired the missiles first, doing nothing to prove M's worldview wrong.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 14/6/2011 7:53:26 PM >

quote:

quote:

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 359
RE: Mature and Intelligent: This is actually a good thing! - 14/6/2011 7:56:09 PM   
munro7

Cool, cheers. There were a number of people still sitting around when we left the cinema so just wondered.

It's only funny till someone loses an eye.

(in reply to Mindwick)
Post #: 360
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: X-Men: First Class Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI