Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: X-Men: First Class

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: X-Men: First Class Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: X-Men: First Class - 7/6/2011 5:37:01 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gretzky

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

Did anyone else thin the music was really overdone in places.The scene where Eric kills the nazi war criminals in the bar had such LOUD music i thought was really distracting from an otherwise well written and directed scene.

I quite liked the score. The only bit of music that distracted me was what sounded like Gnarls Barkley playing when they went to the strip club, which I thought was odd considering it was meant to be the 60's

Indeed.And whats a Take That song doing being played on the end credits of a film set in the 60's anyway?

You are aware of the concept of samples...? Gnarls Barkley's song is a sample of a song from the 60s...

It doesn't really matter, when most people will probably be more familiar with the GB version. There's a thousand songs they could have used that wouldn't seem like an unnecessary anachronism.

(in reply to Gretzky)
Post #: 301
RE: X-Men: First Class - 7/6/2011 8:18:55 PM   
anakin solo

i'm alright with everyone's opinion on this, but i wish that people would stop refering it to the previous  x men movies and it is a completely new prequel that didn't doesn't have anything to do with x men origins wolverine except for the cameo. And he did say to wolverine in x men that when he was young he met magneto but wasn't specific on when that was.
Hopefully in the sequel to first class matthew vaughn will have cyclops, jean, the proper angel and ice man joining beast as the new x men.

my ally is the force and what a powerful ally it is.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 302
Not bad - 7/6/2011 9:53:06 PM   
Nickwantstowork

I saw this one last night, overall it was good nice period detail i thought. Not really familar with the comics more the cartoons after school etc, overall attractive and endearing cast good special effects etc. But I wonder if next time they can pass on the teen angst about fitting in, and look for other morality angles. It did have that James Bond feel to it, especially Mr Fassenberger but i liked James McAvoys Xavier character the most; and January Jones the most to look at :)

Oh and i see what you mean about the irish accent at the end, how did they miss that?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 303
RE: X-Men: First Class - 7/6/2011 10:17:58 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: anakin solo

i'm alright with everyone's opinion on this, but i wish that people would stop refering it to the previous  x men movies and it is a completely new prequel that didn't doesn't have anything to do with x men origins wolverine except for the cameo.

I'd agree with that, except that the almost shot-for-shot copy of X1's opening scene and those cameos muddy the waters of it being a reboot somewhat. With other, proper, reboots (like Batman etc.) you know it is a completely distinct creation, seperate from what has gone before. As soon as you even hint at it tieing-in with previous films, it's going to create potential problems unless you get it bang on (Superman Returns springs to mind). 

(in reply to anakin solo)
Post #: 304
RE: The.......... - 8/6/2011 1:26:47 AM   
threshold

I soon as the credits rolled I was just like "F*** this I'm giving it 5 STARS!!!" But unfortunately I have found some negative points. The very razzle-dazzle special effects, as bright and wonderful as they are, are just sort of a bit dodgy for me, where I could easily tell the green screen.

As well as that there are minor fanboy quibbles:
First of all weren't Banshee and Moira Mactaggert meant to be IRISH???? (Although I forgave it after I remembered this movie is absurdly American and Patriotic)

The almost Power-rangers-ish costume of beast was absurd, but Mystique and Azezel's costuming was superb and made up for it.

Why the Hell was Riptide in there? (If you don't know who he is, he's the whirlwind cohort of Sebastian Shaw) he seriously sucks as a character (non speaking role) and he just was a waste of a pay check that could've been easily replaced with someone else with a better power/character (my ideal replacement would be Harry Leland [he’s a character in marvel not an actor])

But other than that I loved every minute of it.
I won't write a full review on it, but I'll list the best scenes, characters and acting (just because I find this fun.

Best Scene: There are many, but my personal favourite was Azezel (so underused, but so brilliant) Shaw (Kevin Bacon being awesome) and Riptide (yuk) infiltrating the mutant centre killing absolutely everyone. The bad guys actually created terror in me, which I miss in action movies.

Best Characters: Xavier, Banshee (with an adorable lisp/weird accent), Azezel (very underused and can't wait to see more of him in the sequel), Mystique, Beast, and even Moira. But the standout here is Sebastian Shaw; I just loved every minute of him. He enjoys being evil, but he has every right to be so (at least in his eyes) and you've gotta admit, has a pretty cool power.

Best acting: Michael Fassbender is very amazing making a character that would've been boring if played by another person, and he even looked a bit like Ian Mckellen (who was every bit as good as him) and James Mcavoy has a very good rapport with EVERYONE, he is as every bit as good as Magneto while being the opposite character to him.
They are truly the breakouts of this film. (Along with Kevin Bacon, who I think should get more love)
This movie deals with the idea of xenophobia and racism, both of which were explored in X-men and X2, but this movie deals with it brilliantly. Reason being is that while X-men 1 &2 showed their racism by showing crowds of angry people holding signs up, this shows in close quarters how it feels to be different, and how people feel they should be part of society. Even simpler aspects are briefly seen in here such as good and evil. The quote from Xavier to Magneto saying “The most power comes in the middle of rage and serenity” was so memorable and reminiscent of Yoda’s speeches.
In the movie many people have said how Magneto and Xavier have a friend relationship, but I see this relationship between them as a mentor relationship. Xavier here is obviously the smarter mentor type while Erik is the rash, angry “padawan” if you will.

But despite all of the smart aspects of this movie it’s nothing more than an action movie. But it’s a bloody brilliant action movie at that!!!!!!!!!!! 4.5/5

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 305
RE: The.......... - 8/6/2011 12:21:00 PM   
darth silas

I find it ironic that they didnt portray Banshee and Moira as Irish(as they are in the comics) but they didnt notice that Fassbender switched to an irish accent in the last 15 mins of the film!

And did anyone else find it hard to beleive that the young Eric in the WW2 flashback when he was provoked into using his power,that he crushed the heads of two nazi soldiers and made everything that was metal in the room(including lots of sharp instruments nearby) shake like crazy that he didnt even try to kill the GUY SITTING RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM WHO SHOT HIS MOTHER?!

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to threshold)
Post #: 306
RE: The.......... - 8/6/2011 1:07:42 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

I find it ironic that they didnt portray Banshee and Moira as Irish(as they are in the comics) but they didnt notice that Fassbender switched to an irish accent in the last 15 mins of the film!

Moira is Scottish. If you're gonna moan about accuracy you could at least be accurate!

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 307
RE: The.......... - 8/6/2011 1:25:07 PM   
darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

Moira is Scottish. If you're gonna moan about accuracy you could at least be accurate!

My bad.But hey,i didnt work on the movie,if i did would have found out for sure what accent a certain character was supposed to have.Michael Fassbender obviously didnt.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 308
RE: The.......... - 8/6/2011 2:11:06 PM   
superdan

quote:

And did anyone else find it hard to beleive that the young Eric in the WW2 flashback when he was provoked into using his power,that he crushed the heads of two nazi soldiers and made everything that was metal in the room(including lots of sharp instruments nearby) shake like crazy that he didnt even try to kill the GUY SITTING RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM WHO SHOT HIS MOTHER?!

I'd forgotten about that. Yeah I thought that was stupid too. He went apeshit and trashed everything (including a couple of soldiers) but leaves Shaw alone?? Doesn't even swing a punch or something. At least if he had tried to kill him Shaw would have been forced to defend himself, maybe use his power to deflect flying blades or whatever, but no. Basically ignores him, right after the bastards killed his mother.

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 309
RE: X-Men: First Class - 9/6/2011 4:14:51 AM   
chri819

The film overall was pretty good but I have to say.... BEST CAMEO EVER!!!!!!!!

"I've Always Wanted To Use That Spell!!" - Mievera Mogonagal

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 310
RE: X-Men: First Class - 9/6/2011 11:52:56 AM   
lukeyboy

I quite liked it. It wasn't as good as X1 or X2, but it was a damn sight better than X3 and Origins. I loved the opening 30mins or so charting Erik Lenssher's crusade of vengeance across the globe, and Fassbender was awesome during this time. McAvoy was the outstanding talent in this though for me as I thought he underplayed the role to perfection and was consistently solid throughout the movie. Kevin Bacon, Jason Flemying and Nicholas Hoult were all equally impressive as well but (as has been widely stated already) January Jones was bloody awful and by far the worst thing about it. A close second to her acting though in terms of "bad things" about the flick was the fact that Fassbender slipped into his natural Oirish accent toward the end of the film, which I found incredibly offputting and quite frustrating because he is a great actor and can do any accent he pleases! Was he just being lazy or what?

All in all it was a solid comic book flick and a worthy addition to Marvel's already impressive back catalogue of films (Ghost Rider not withstanding), and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Not a four star film by any means but better than three in my opinion - I'd give it 3.5 if I could!

And yeah - best cameo ever!

I feel like i'm Han Solo, your Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi - and we're in that FUCKED UP bar!!

(in reply to chri819)
Post #: 311
RE: X-Men: First Class - 9/6/2011 6:27:24 PM   
Dr Lenera

I didn't expect much from X-Men:First Class, especially considering none of the previous X-Men movies, whilst perfectly okay, have really done it for me, with the possible exception of the third, which, against general opinion, I found more enjoyable than both the first and the second [and certainly the fourth].  I was wrong though-this is the best of all the movies, a clever, highly entertaining adventure whose tone is perfectly balanced by director Matthew Vaughn.  The story is done mostly seriously, but, unlike Bryan Singer [the man who has no feel whatsoever for the superhero genre but has somehow managed to make three movies of that nature], Vaughn, who also co-wrote the script, throws in some nicely judged lighter sequences [ such as when Xavier is trying to recruit some more mutants and a hilarious cameo], and keeps the pace thundering forward.  Scenes are mostly short and to the point, while the action scenes, though often a little short for my liking, are inventive and exciting.  Unfortunately the final set piece, while it has some stunning moments, sometimes  goes overboard with the fast cutting and becomes almost incoherent, and the film throughout suffers from some really poor CGI.  Honestly, the effects are really inept at times, so much so that sometimes the backgrounds resemble a cartoon!  This is also the most brutal of the films, with knives impaling hands to tables, coins smashing through heads and barbed wire crushing soldiers, and I'm not it's needed.  Still, with fine performances all round, a throbbing score from Henry Jackman [the first full score he's done], not to mention some great new mutants, this ticks most of the the boxes required and may end up being the best superhero movie this year.

8/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 312
RE: X-Men: First Class - 9/6/2011 6:56:46 PM   
Tech_Noir

Genuinely stunned by the positive response to this film.

This was just as mediocre and predictable as any standard summer blockbuster of the last ten years.

The Magneto/Charles stuff was 10% of the film (and rushed), this was the only interesting thing in the entire film.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 313
RE: X-Men: First Class - 9/6/2011 7:16:30 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

This was just as mediocre and predictable as any standard summer blockbuster of the last ten years.

The Magneto/Charles stuff was 10% of the film (and rushed), this was the only interesting thing in the entire film.

You liked Wolverine. Go figure.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 314
RE: X-Men: First Class - 9/6/2011 7:28:01 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

Please explain to me why First Class was so good, because this was a film that had literally no surprises, everything was by the numbers. I just don't understand why people are calling it "smart", "innovative", "best comic adaption since The Dark Knight".

I mean look at the scene when Havoc (if that's his name) is showing his powers to the other X-kids, when they lean out from behind the wall - it's like a Friends gag.

< Message edited by Tech_Noir -- 9/6/2011 7:34:38 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 315
RE: X-Men: First Class - 9/6/2011 7:38:11 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

Please explain to me why First Class was so good, because this was a film had no surprises, everything was by the numbers. I just don't understand why people are calling it "smart", "innovative", "best comic adaption since The Dark Knight".

I mean look at the scene when Havoc (if that's his name) is showing his powers to the other X-kids, when they lean out from behind the wall - it's like a Friends gag.

Well it wasn't as good as Dark Knight, but it was a lot of fun. It had a style which set it apart from other superhero movies and it went more into the direction of a Roger Moore Bond film. You enjoyed Star Trek to an extent right? Nothing really surprising there either, but it was just nice to see a well put together movie, which had a fresh style to it.

It won't set the world alight, but Fassbender and McAvoy alone elevated this material far about other recent superhero movies.

I am surprised at you being critical of a movie because it is a prequel. I can think of a few other films which would fit your criticism as well.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 316
RE: X-Men: First Class - 9/6/2011 7:39:18 PM   
kenada_woo

quote:

Boom! Head-shot.

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 317
RE: X-Men: First Class - 9/6/2011 7:51:15 PM   
Tech_Noir

But it wasn't well put together,l it was choppy as hell, scenes usually lasting 2-3 exchanges and jumping all over the place.

And what's all this about style? The Austin Powers submarine? The generic 60s songs? The Fembot, I mean Emma Frost?

I don't think this is film is awful but it's very strange to hear so many people praising such an average film, a film where most people walked out talking about a 10 second cameo by a character from the other movies (Terminator Salvation anyone?).

< Message edited by Tech_Noir -- 9/6/2011 7:52:42 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 318
RE: X-Men: First Class - 9/6/2011 7:53:05 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

But it wasn't well put together,l it was choppy as hell, scenes usually lasting 2-3 exchanges and jumping all over the place.

And what's all this about style? The Austin Powers submarine? The generic 60s songs? The Fembot, I mean Emma Frost?

I don't think this is film is awful but it's very strange to hear so many people praising such an average film (a film where most people walked out talking about a 10 second cameo).

Ah well. We can't all be as awesome as you, and for that we are sorry.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 319
RE: X-Men: First Class - 9/6/2011 7:59:00 PM   
Rgirvan44

And where the heck are people saying this is better than the Dark Knight?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 320
RE: X-Men: First Class - 9/6/2011 8:10:36 PM   
Tech_Noir

Calm down, it's just a movie.

I've been browsing message boards over the past week and the general consensus seems to be that it's up there with Dark Knight, Spiderman 2, etc. when I see it more akin to Fantastic Four.

BTW, am I the only one who thought of Teen Wolf when Beast showed up?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 321
RE: X-Men: First Class - 9/6/2011 8:16:11 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

I've been browsing message boards over the past week and the general consensus seems to be that it's up there with Dark Knight, Spiderman 2, etc. when I see it more akin to Fantastic Four.

No. But you know what did remind me of Teen Wolf?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ9jPVQQyeY

And you came back into the thread repeated the points you had made before, and when given a response, repeated the point once again. What do you want me to say?

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 322
RE: X-Men: First Class - 9/6/2011 8:16:50 PM   
kenada_woo

quote:

I don't think this is film is awful but it's very strange to hear so many people praising such an average film, a film where most people walked out talking about a 10 second cameo by a character from the other movies (Terminator Salvation anyone?).

And compare it to the hatred of The Last Stand...which IMO is a far better film.

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 323
RE: X-Men: First Class - 9/6/2011 8:18:46 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: kenada_woo

quote:

And compare it to the hatred of The Last Stand...which IMO is a far better film.

Just as long as you don't apply the same feeling to Wolverine.

(in reply to kenada_woo)
Post #: 324
RE: X-Men: First Class - 9/6/2011 8:19:19 PM   
Deviation

quote:

And you came back into the thread repeated the points you had made before, and when given a response, repeated the point once again. What do you want me to say?

Jesus Christ, are you saying First Class is worse than Batman Forever?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to kenada_woo)
Post #: 325
RE: X-Men: First Class - 9/6/2011 8:21:52 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

I don't get it.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 326
RE: X-Men: First Class - 9/6/2011 8:23:24 PM   
paul_ie86

quote:

Can I have links to these threads?

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 327
RE: X-Men: First Class - 9/6/2011 8:25:56 PM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

I don't get it.

A mistake happened here....that comment was meant to kanedawoo saying that Last Stand was better than First Class.

I have no idea what happened.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 328
RE: X-Men: First Class - 9/6/2011 8:48:06 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

Yeah, people's views of this movie differ from yours. What's next? Cats and dogs living together? Mass hysteria?

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 329
RE: X-Men: First Class - 9/6/2011 9:44:42 PM   
kenada_woo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kenada_woo

quote:

Just as long as you don't apply the same feeling to Wolverine.

LOL

Wolverine was on par with First Class. IE...a bit Meh but not terrible.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: X-Men: First Class Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI