Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: X-Men: First Class

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: X-Men: First Class Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: X-Men: First Class - 6/6/2011 4:28:11 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

****Spoilers****

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas
And dont get me started on ''it fits with Singers first 2 X films'' because it doesnt! The Prof cleary states in the first X film that ''when i was 17 i met a young man named Eric Lensherr''.Now either Xaviers memory is fuzzy but he and Lensherr look like they are i their late twenties to me.The Prof also states in X1 that Magneto helped him build Cerebro.First Class clearly shows us that Hank Mcoy built it and Magneto had nothing to do with it besides watch Xavier use it.And they really should have remembered that Xavier seemed not to know about Magnetos helmet in X1 because it sure looks like he knows that it blocks his telepathy in First class

I wondered about that. I didn't realise we are supposed to accept that Beast built Cerebro now (the one shown in X1 I mean, not the 60's prototype), I just assumed they fucked up. Which they probably did.

You could say maybe he helped build the proper Cerebro which was much more advanced.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 271
RE: X-Men: First Class - 6/6/2011 4:30:32 PM   
superdan

Is there no way they could have pushed the release date back? Personally I'd rather wait to see a film that's fully-realised and not a compromised version of what the director and writers would prefer to make. I know it'd probably cost more, but surely it stands to reason that the better a film is the more money it should take.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 272
RE: X-Men: First Class - 6/6/2011 4:30:43 PM   
darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

****Spoilers****

quote:

And dont get me started on ''it fits with Singers first 2 X films'' because it doesnt! The Prof cleary states in the first X film that ''when i was 17 i met a young man named Eric Lensherr''.Now either Xaviers memory is fuzzy but he and Lensherr look like they are i their late twenties to me.The Prof also states in X1 that Magneto helped him build Cerebro.First Class clearly shows us that Hank Mcoy built it and Magneto had nothing to do with it besides watch Xavier use it.And they really should have remembered that Xavier seemed not to know about Magnetos helmet in X1 because it sure looks like he knows that it blocks his telepathy in First class

I wondered about that. I didn't realise we are supposed to accept that Beast built Cerebro now (the one shown in X1 I mean, not the 60's prototype), I just assumed they fucked up. Which they probably did.

You could say maybe he helped build the proper Cerebro which was much more advanced.

Unlikely considering the fact that Magneto has effectively become a terroist at the end of First Class and wont be working with Xavier on anything any time soon.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 273
RE: X-Men: First Class - 6/6/2011 4:32:12 PM   
superdan

quote:

quote:

****Spoilers****

quote:

Who, do you mean Beast? But that contradicts X-Men, where Xavier stated that he and Magneto built it.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 274
RE: X-Men: First Class - 6/6/2011 4:32:53 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

****Spoilers****

quote:

Unlikely considering the fact that Magneto has effectively become a terroist at the end of First Class and wont be working with Xavier on anything any time soon.

Almost a terrorist - I think that there is enough complexity to allow them to work together again - a mutal crisis. Charles doesn't seem to resent him, and Magneto seems to feel a considerable amount of guilt. A leap maybe, but not impossible.

That is of course, if we are trying to tie this in with the other movies exactly.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 275
RE: X-Men: First Class - 6/6/2011 4:34:47 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

****Spoilers****

quote:

Who, do you mean Beast? But that contradicts X-Men, where Xavier stated that he and Magneto built it.

No, I mean that Beast created the prototype, and Magento helped to build the one under the mansion.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 276
RE: X-Men: First Class - 6/6/2011 4:36:54 PM   
superdan

Spoilers etc.

quote:

Almost a terrorist - I think that there is enough complexity to allow them to work together again - a mutal crisis. Charles doesn't seem to resent him, and Magneto seems to feel a considerable amount of guilt. A leap maybe, but not impossible.

That is of course, if we are trying to tie this in with the other movies exactly.

I think that's quite a considerable leap given everything that happens in the last half hour, but I suppose it's not out of the question. And they've already tied it in with the other movies - they use the same opening scene as X1, the same actor in that role so to pretend it's not tied in would be a bit of a pisstake.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 277
RE: X-Men: First Class - 6/6/2011 4:39:30 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

Spoilers etc.

quote:

I think that's quite a considerable leap given everything that happens in the last half hour, but I suppose it's not out of the question. And they've already tied it in with the other movies - they use the same opening scene as X1, the same actor in that role so to pretend it's not tied in would be a bit of a pisstake.

Very, very lose tie into the other films. As I have said before, it is a soft reboot, but a reboot nonetheless.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 278
RE: X-Men: First Class - 6/6/2011 4:43:02 PM   
superdan

quote:

quote:

Spoilers etc.

quote:

Very, very lose tie into the other films. As I have said before, it is a soft reboot, but a reboot nonetheless.

Well there's only so many ways you can tie-in a film set 40 years before the 'next' one, but I think they have tied it in as much as is realistically (and occasionally unrealistically) possible. I still think that unless you're damn sure you've not missed anything a 'full' reboot would have been wiser.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 279
RE: X-Men: First Class - 6/6/2011 4:53:19 PM   
darth silas

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

****Spoilers****

quote:

ALMOST  a terrorist? In the last 15 mins of the film we see him attempt to hurtle tons of missiles at the american and russian fleets and breaks into a top security facility(causing no doubt a heck of a lot of damage in the process) to free another mutant who has no trouble with killing.Sounds a lot like a terrorist to me.I really dont see Erik and Chales working together after something like that.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 280
RE: X-Men: First Class - 6/6/2011 4:54:22 PM   
keithyt1999

quote:

Well there's only so many ways you can tie-in a film set 40 years before the 'next' one, but I think they have tied it in as much as is realistically (and occasionally unrealistically) possible. I still think that unless you're damn sure you've not missed anything a 'full' reboot would have been wiser.

I agree. Where the continuity is concerned it's no better or worse than the Marvel universe. I've got that DK Ultimate Guide to X-Men book and there are quite a few alternate universes, characters, different versions of the same characters back stories etc.

I watched First Class with an open mind, when I first heard about it I was a little disappointed that it did not have the original group (Charles with Cyclops, Marvel Girl (Jean), Beast, Angel and Iceman I think?) but ultimately I was very happy that it focussed on telling a version of Charles and Erik's histories and meeting. Superb stuff.

< Message edited by keithyt1999 -- 6/6/2011 4:55:52 PM >

None of you seem to understand, I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me!

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 281
Ignore all the naysayers - 6/6/2011 4:58:02 PM   
Madhava

I do not understand the complaints whatsoever. It was a hard decision for me rating this movie four stars, I almost would have given it five. This was absolutely hands down the best movie of ALL the X-men movies so far. Yes! I said it! Even better than 1 or 2! The Bryan Singer movies were good, but they tended to have a bit of a ponderous feel. This one is great fun, you get to see loads of cool powers being used for a change, the training sequences are great, the way everything is connected to the first movies is awesome... Particularly wonderful is how good the acting is... Michael Fassbender's Magneto in particular is the most kick-ass character ever, I found myself really rooting for him. For once there is no black and white good and evil, and you really understand everyone's motivation for doing what they do. It's quite gripping and moving. And of course, the action and affects are absolutely spectacular. Watch it! This is probably the only time ever in history that a FOURTH sequel has been the best movie of the lot!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 282
RE: X-Men: First Class - 6/6/2011 4:58:30 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

****Spoilers****

quote:

ALMOST  a terrorist? In the last 15 mins of the film we see him attempt to hurtle tons of missiles at the american and russian fleets and breaks into a top security facility(causing no doubt a heck of a lot of damage in the process) to free another mutant who has no trouble with killing.Sounds a lot like a terrorist to me.I really dont see Erik and Chales working together after something like that.

And yet Charles and Erik do work together in X2 - their relationship has always been more complex than Magento being a bad guy, and Xavier being the hero. The very first scene in X1 sets this out. Magento did what he did out of anger, and a cynical view of human nature - if he had gone through with it, then it would be a different matter. But he didn't - his genuine care for Charles overrode his anger.

Post #: 283
RE: X-Men: First Class - 6/6/2011 5:06:37 PM   
darth silas

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

****Spoilers****

quote:

And yet Charles and Erik do work together in X2 - their relationship has always been more complex than Magento being a bad guy, and Xavier being the hero. The very first scene in X1 sets this out. Magento did what he did out of anger, and a cynical view of human nature - if he had gone through with it, then it would be a different matter. But he didn't - his genuine care for Charles overrode his anger.

When do they work together in X2? Do you mean when Magneto teamed up with Wolverine and the team to rescue the Prof from Stryker? Magneto was only using them for his own ends and indeed had no trouble leaving Charles TO DIE in the dark Cerebro room towards the end.

And correct me if im wrong but Magneto would indeed have killed everyone on those american and russian ships but Charles and Moira stopped him.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 284
RE: X-Men: First Class - 6/6/2011 5:17:48 PM   
superdan

****SPOILERS*****

quote:

And correct me if im wrong but Magneto would indeed have killed everyone on those american and russian ships but Charles and Moira stopped him.

He finally stops when the Professor takes a bullet as Moira tries to stop Magneto, so in a way you and Rgirvan are both right about that one

Post #: 285
RE: X-Men: First Class - 6/6/2011 6:00:27 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

****SPOILERS*****

quote:

He finally stops when the Professor takes a bullet as Moira tries to stop Magneto, so in a way you and Rgirvan are both right about that one

The moral grey of the X Men films!

Plus they were all firing missiles at him - in the words of another film "They drew first blood."

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 286
RE: X-Men: First Class - 6/6/2011 6:30:27 PM   
darth silas

quote:

quote:

****SPOILERS*****

quote:

The moral grey of the X Men films!

Plus they were all firing missiles at him - in the words of another film "They drew first blood."

Well as Charles pointed out,those soldiers were just following orders but yes,you can understand where Magnetos hate comes from here.

Did anyone else thin the music was really overdone in places.The scene where Eric kills the nazi war criminals in the bar had such LOUD music i thought was really distracting from an otherwise well written and directed scene.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 287
RE: X-Men: First Class - 6/6/2011 6:37:27 PM   
superdan

quote:

Did anyone else thin the music was really overdone in places.The scene where Eric kills the nazi war criminals in the bar had such LOUD music i thought was really distracting from an otherwise well written and directed scene.

I quite liked the score. The only bit of music that distracted me was what sounded like Gnarls Barkley playing when they went to the strip club, which I thought was odd considering it was meant to be the 60's

Post #: 288
RE: X-Men: First Class - 6/6/2011 6:44:45 PM   
darth silas

quote:

quote:

I quite liked the score. The only bit of music that distracted me was what sounded like Gnarls Barkley playing when they went to the strip club, which I thought was odd considering it was meant to be the 60's

Indeed.And whats a Take That song doing being played on the end credits of a film set in the 60's anyway?

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 289
RE: X-Men: First Class - 6/6/2011 6:45:50 PM   
kenada_woo

Was all a bit...meh for me.

Nice setting, interesting plot (missile crisis), great leads in Fassbender and McAvoy and a good moody villain in Kevin Bacon.

But...its the same old "mutants vs humans vs we're different" etc blah blah record we've heard before in the previous "X" films that just felt they were hammering the same message and theme over 8hours or so worth of film sagarage.

While the previous X-Men films had nice rounded characters on top of some original set-pieces..what you get with First Class is a very flat and un-involving movie with thin support characters who we're meant to root for when it "kicks off". Who the fook Banshee, Havoc etc really are you never know, but hey, they're goodies so lets get involved in their superhero-ing. Not for me.

And on top of the un-involving and paper thin support, the biggest let-down were the action set-pieces which lacked any spark or creativity that Vaughan proved he could pull off in Kick-Ass. Here you get very dull, lackluster but loud 'spolsions hampered by a massive noose of "I dont give a shit about any of them" that hangs around it.

Add to that piss-poor make-up jobs on Mystique (she looked like a fan girl at comic-con) and Beast (look at Grammer in Last Stand - he didnt look like a teddy bear!) plus a "oh that's how he got crippled." damp squib by the end as the film tried to tie up everything, just adds to a very, very average movie.

The only saving grace is a nice cameo by a certain somebody which was the best thing in the entire film.

Overall, probably being harsh but got a bit sick of very average fodder Marvel movies (Iron Man 2, Thor, Wolverine etc) being churned out year after year. Anyway, good main cast, setting and idea...half arse-ly executed.

**/*****

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

Post #: 290
RE: X-Men: First Class - 6/6/2011 6:52:01 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

The scene where Eric kills the nazi war criminals in the bar had such LOUD music i thought was really distracting from an otherwise well written and directed scene.

At the start of that scene I really thought they'd cut to a Stella Artois advert, something about the location, lighting and camera angles.

Post #: 291
RE: A bit harsh Empire! - 6/6/2011 7:49:38 PM   
pauljthomas

An excellent addition to the XMen franchise, I thoroughly enjoyed this film. The cameo was brilliant, there was another that fitted in quite well too. My only gripe was the Beast effects & that Hoult's voice just did not suit when he changed. Other than that, I would say First Class was, as far as superhero films go, absolutely First Class.

You know how I know your gay? You like Coldplay

BUS WANKERS!!!!

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 292
Apparently just for the x fans - 6/6/2011 8:02:38 PM   
landedurbin

Suits me down to the ground. I thought it was great. Fed up with non comicheads knowing too much as it is

Post #: 293
RE: X-Men: First Class - 6/6/2011 8:32:38 PM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

quote:

The scene where Eric kills the nazi war criminals in the bar had such LOUD music i thought was really distracting from an otherwise well written and directed scene.

At the start of that scene I really thought they'd cut to a Stella Artois advert, something about the location, lighting and camera angles.

As I said in my review, very Inglorious Basterds this scene, this period of the film I loved, where Erik is on un-hinged warpath, brilliantly captured from actor, cinematography and direction I thought.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 294
First clas suckfest - 6/6/2011 8:51:45 PM   
kjudge6

Although it felt like a waste of 2 hours, there are 2 excellent cameos in it!

Post #: 295
RE: X-Men: First Class - 6/6/2011 9:48:29 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

quote:

Haha, it so was, now that you mention it.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 296
X-Men: Im not angry....just disappointed. - 7/6/2011 6:33:18 AM   
poogs_5

If X-Men 3 was a step back, this was two. Suffice to say, this movie was pants. Warmongering stale cardboard cutout 'Humans' vs bitchy Glee club teen 'Mutants'....where do I sign up?!

Why didn't they focus on Magneto and Prof X....done....There is your plot, Its a pearler. What could've been a classic shakespearean style plot of relationship disintegration, became a mishandled, shallow story the same as the other forty seven plots in this turgid mess, wherein every character repeats the same mantra 'Im different, you're different, lets be different together...but... the same different....or is it different different....I hate humans.' Plus dont get me started on the ridiculous looking family friendly pet blue monkey 'Beast' or the camp submarine straight out of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Unfortunately this studio has turned this into, dare I say it, A dogs breakfast. Too many characters, too many bad special effects and too many good old fashioned crapness. A Shallow movie. Utterly disappointing to say the least.

< Message edited by poogs_5 -- 7/6/2011 12:36:06 PM >

Post #: 297
RE: X-Men. First Class. - 7/6/2011 3:07:27 PM   
Cruisecontroller

For me this isn`t just the best X Men film yet but also one of the best superhero films I`ve ever seen just perfect in everyway. However I confess I haven`t read the comics so I can`t say how faithful it is to them but as a prequel to the movie series its terrific. It`s well written, acted, fun, gripping and oozes style and great period detail with a Sixties bond feel to it. It`s almost as good to me as The Dark Knight although not my all time favourite super hero movie Superman The Movie (1978) but it`s close and if your forgive me a first class five star film and maybe the superhero film of the year. We`ll see.5/5.

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to poogs_5)
Post #: 298
Best one to date - 7/6/2011 5:17:51 PM   
Whistler

Easily the most enjoyable X-Men film to date (although to be fair I was never really a big fan of the previous ones). But it's funny, exciting and action packed, with a good soundtrack and an excellent cameo. I wouldn't say no to another one, which is only a good sign because I've never been excited about one in the past.

Post #: 299
RE: X-Men: First Class - 7/6/2011 5:30:30 PM   
Gretzky

quote:

quote:

quote:

Indeed.And whats a Take That song doing being played on the end credits of a film set in the 60's anyway?

You are aware of the concept of samples...? Gnarls Barkley's song is a sample of a song from the 60s...

As for the film itself, a very mixed bag. Some *amazing* pieces, some okay scenes and some really naff parts. Why does it all have to look so cheap in places? Some of the transitions were cheesy and clunky... When you've got someone as strong as Fassbender and a character as rich as Magneto, are we really supposed to care that Beast doesn't like his *feet*?

< Message edited by Gretzky -- 7/6/2011 5:33:28 PM >

~ Formerly Ash_Boomstick
Female Film Fan

Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: X-Men: First Class Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI