Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

X-Men: First Class

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> X-Men: First Class Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
X-Men: First Class - 25/5/2011 3:37:52 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
The.......... - 25/5/2011 3:37:52 PM   
guysalisbury

............trailer looked very average and don't even get me started on the posters. Im gonna wait for a few of you guys to watch it and see what you say, but to be honest I wasn't expecting any better than a 3.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: The.......... - 25/5/2011 3:48:11 PM   
Rgirvan44

Fassbender plays a Nazi hunting Magneto?

Sold. Sold a thousand times.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to guysalisbury)
Post #: 3
RE: The.......... - 25/5/2011 3:54:01 PM   
adambatman82

I've got a feeling this thread is going to be special. Lots of "X-Men 3 got 3 stars too" type outrage.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 25/5/2011 4:40:45 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 4
RE:X-men First Class Review - 25/5/2011 3:54:20 PM   
morrissey2011

i am extremely annoyed about ur review for this film as it has praise from the other film critics, however i no Chris Hewitt loved it so therefore u are forgiven

Post #: 5
RE: X-Men: First Class - 25/5/2011 3:57:13 PM   
thamuhacha

"It smacks of rush and compromise, but thereís thankfully enough to make you feel optimistic about the seriesí future once more."

Dear Empire. Please stop putting comments like this in your reviews. If a film is a three star experience, then that's what it is. Any potential for a four or five star film in two or three years time is utterly, utterly irrelevant.

You did this with your Iron Man review:

"Downey Jr and the supporting cast are so perfectly placed we're already looking forward to the bound-to-be-better sequel."

And then, ludicrously, you did it again with Iron Man 2:

"Shame this sequel feels inessential, over-busy and a little, well, mechanical. Nothing they canít put right for Iron Man 3."

How on earth can you end any review with a wistful look at the next film?

/rant over

Post #: 6
RE: The.......... - 25/5/2011 3:57:15 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

I've got a feeling this thread is going to be special. Lots of X-Men 3 got 3 stars too" type outrage.

X Men 3 was fine. Its biggest crime was stuffing far too much into such a short runtime. Some really nice stuff in there. Inperfect? Yes. Truely awful? Not really.

The real hate crime is what came next.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 7
- 25/5/2011 4:00:24 PM   
pete_traynor

Early days I suppose but this far Empire and Chud’a Devin seem to be the only people not singing it’s praises. Might be good to temper expectations a little I suppose. What with some hailing it as a rejuvenation of Star Trek/Batman Begins levels. Although I still hope it is…

Post #: 8
- 25/5/2011 4:00:57 PM   
pete_traynor

Early days I suppose but this far Empire and Chud’a Devin seem to be the only people not singing it’s praises. Might be good to temper expectations a little I suppose. What with some hailing it as a rejuvenation of Star Trek/Batman Begins levels. Although I still hope it is…

Post #: 9
RE: The.......... - 25/5/2011 4:02:34 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

I've got a feeling this thread is going to be special. Lots of X-Men 3 got 3 stars too" type outrage.

X Men 3 was fine. Its biggest crime was stuffing far too much into such a short runtime. Some really nice stuff in there. Inperfect? Yes. Truely awful? Not really.

It really wasn't. Also, that wasn't its biggest crime:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8Z5iL3358Q

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 10
RE: - 25/5/2011 4:03:08 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: pete_traynor

Early days I suppose but this far Empire and Chudía Devin seem to be the only people not singing itís praises. Might be good to temper expectations a little I suppose. What with some hailing it as a rejuvenation of Star Trek/Batman Begins levels. Although I still hope it isÖ

Devin LOVES this film. He doesn't write on CHUD anymore.

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 11
RE: The.......... - 25/5/2011 4:07:54 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sure, but if that destroyed the film for you go forward - it is still nowhere near as dumb as anything in Wolverine.

X Men 3 had too many stories running through it, and not enough time to tell them all. The cure plotline would be a movie in itself, as would Jean Gray. A longer run time might have helped there as well. But there is plenty in there that is still interesting, some nice moments, some decent action and a few times where it almost reaches some of the heights of Singers movies.

Post #: 12
Empire, Thou art a Stuborn bitch - 25/5/2011 4:14:02 PM   
sarianlives

I read Empire every single month, cover to cover, and have done for the better part of 15 years.
However, that said, I get so pissed off with your reviews. You hold the FIVE STAR review to such high esteem, and when a film comes out that you have ben hyping and hyping and hyping for months, and suddenly give it a 3 star review, and then pointedly slag off the things that previous you yourselves stated were charms that would make the film so breezy and breathless - you do yourselves and your readers a disservice.

I am looking forward to this film for three very simple reasons:
a) Macavoy and Fassbender - Xavier/Lehnsherr - Perfect casting, perfect.
b) Vaughn - The man can do no wrong, he produced two of my favourite films, and directed two of my oether favourites... He is a natural, intelligent and honest filmmaker - and the fact he made this film AT ALL in the turnaround time he had imposed/imposed upon himself - well, deserving of five star without the film being seen...
and, C) it is not WOLVERINE, or come to think of it X3.

I think you should evaluate your scores before you give them - Either it is a three star review because it merits it, or it is a four star film because of the good things - irregardless of the faults.
I have been looking forward to this since i saw the first confirm of Vaughn as director, the trailers have stoked my fires and i am now counting down the days to the first showing...
Whatever you guys say - i am there and there with bells on, repeatedly for the whole week...
I just wihs sometimes you;d make your mind up if you are the best, most competent and the most intelligent of the film rags, or whether you just want to slag off the things you feel do not live up to your ridiculous standards...

Or were all the FIVE STARs taken this week by your Apocalypse Now fetish?
I wonder...

Post #: 13
RE: X-Men: First Class - 25/5/2011 4:14:59 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: thamuhacha

"It smacks of rush and compromise, but there's thankfully enough to make you feel optimistic about the series' future once more."

Dear Empire. Please stop putting comments like this in your reviews. If a film is a three star experience, then that's what it is. Any potential for a four or five star film in two or three years time is utterly, utterly irrelevant.

You did this with your Iron Man review:

"Downey Jr and the supporting cast are so perfectly placed we're already looking forward to the bound-to-be-better sequel."

And then, ludicrously, you did it again with Iron Man 2:

"Shame this sequel feels inessential, over-busy and a little, well, mechanical. Nothing they can't put right for Iron Man 3."

How on earth can you end any review with a wistful look at the next film?

/rant over

I'm sure others will attack but this is a good point.

(in reply to thamuhacha)
Post #: 14
RE: The.......... - 25/5/2011 4:17:24 PM   
Rumbaabaa

quote:

Sure, but if that destroyed the film for you go forward - it is still nowhere near as dumb as anything in Wolverine.

X Men 3 had too many stories running through it, and not enough time to tell them all. The cure plotline would be a movie in itself, as would Jean Gray. A longer run time might have helped there as well. But there is plenty in there that is still interesting, some nice moments, some decent action and a few times where it almost reaches some of the heights of Singers movies.

Agreed. X3 is a disappointment compared to its predecessors but it's not the disaster that many people claim it is.

As for First Class, this is the first so-so review I've read. Given that Empire also gave Guy Ritchie's excellent Sherlock Holmes 3 stars, I still have high hopes for this.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 15
RE: Empire, Thou art a Stuborn bitch - 25/5/2011 4:17:49 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: sarianlives

I read Empire every single month, cover to cover, and have done for the better part of 15 years.
However, that said, I get so pissed off with your reviews. You hold the FIVE STAR review to such high esteem, and when a film comes out that you have ben hyping and hyping and hyping for months, and suddenly give it a 3 star review, and then pointedly slag off the things that previous you yourselves stated were charms that would make the film so breezy and breathless - you do yourselves and your readers a disservice.

I am looking forward to this film for three very simple reasons:
a) Macavoy and Fassbender - Xavier/Lehnsherr - Perfect casting, perfect.
b) Vaughn - The man can do no wrong, he produced two of my favourite films, and directed two of my oether favourites... He is a natural, intelligent and honest filmmaker - and the fact he made this film AT ALL in the turnaround time he had imposed/imposed upon himself - well, deserving of five star without the film being seen...
and, C) it is not WOLVERINE, or come to think of it X3.

I think you should evaluate your scores before you give them - Either it is a three star review because it merits it, or it is a four star film because of the good things - irregardless of the faults.
I have been looking forward to this since i saw the first confirm of Vaughn as director, the trailers have stoked my fires and i am now counting down the days to the first showing...
Whatever you guys say - i am there and there with bells on, repeatedly for the whole week...
I just wihs sometimes you;d make your mind up if you are the best, most competent and the most intelligent of the film rags, or whether you just want to slag off the things you feel do not live up to your ridiculous standards...

Or were all the FIVE STARs taken this week by your Apocalypse Now fetish?
I wonder...

When was 3 stars considered bad?

(in reply to sarianlives)
Post #: 16
The 3-star Standard! - 25/5/2011 4:31:37 PM   
GazzHowie

It's become readily apparent that if a movie gets a 3-star Empire rating and the review itself lambasts the film, then said film is normally a crushing disappointment but they want to go easy on it because they don't want to be seen to be out of touch with their readers... who they daren't predict in case they get it wrong!

Lest we forget, Empire turned their nose up completely at Anchorman when it first came out and champion it now because there's a cult built up around it. Basically, when First Class gets released on DVD and Blu-Ray the review is either going to gain or lose a star and we'll see what their true opinion is.

Post #: 17
RE: The.......... - 25/5/2011 4:35:19 PM   
JIm R

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You are f*cking kidding me, X Men 3 is a massive train wreck of a film that doesn't come near to Singer's first two.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 18
RE: The 3-star Standard! - 25/5/2011 4:37:09 PM   
elab49

Or you'll see what a different reviewer thinks. Or of a rewatch makes them fonder of it, as can happen to anybody. I don't think anyone absolutely fixes their view of a film on first viewing, never to be challenged.

This is interesting so far. Sarianlives thinks 3 stars is bad and is apparently arguing that Empire should have given it more because of the previous coverage? Can this be right? I think that's the opposite of the normal suggestion that coverage gives it a higher star rating, isn't it?

And then Gazz who thinks a 3 star rating isn't bad. Which I agree with too.  

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to GazzHowie)
Post #: 19
RE: The.......... - 25/5/2011 4:38:12 PM   
sanchia

Double post

< Message edited by sanchia -- 25/5/2011 4:41:13 PM >

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 20
RE: The.......... - 25/5/2011 4:39:26 PM   
sanchia

[

quote:

quote:

quote:

And wasn't he the chap cast by the director of this movie?

Still I will go in expecting nothing and hopefully enjoy the film that is all I ask of a movie nowadays.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 21
RE: The.......... - 25/5/2011 4:39:32 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You are f*cking kidding me, X Men 3 is a massive train wreck of a film that doesn't come near to Singer's first two.

No, I am not f*cking you. X Men 3 is fine, middle of the road, some decent sequences (attack at Jean Greys home a particular highlight) and Stewart and McKellen still being great. Lot to like, some stuff hard to love.

Wolverine is the massive train wreck of a film. That movie does so much more damage to Singers flicks than X Men 3 could ever hope to achieve.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 22
RE: The.......... - 25/5/2011 4:42:03 PM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

quote:

quote:

quote:

And wasn't he the chap cast by the director of this movie?

The Vaughn then to where he satnds now are two very different people, he has much more sway, input, talent and ability now then when he was being reduced to casting his 'mates' off the back of the Guy Ritchie 'years'.

Having detached himself from the untalented prick that Ritchie is, he's demonstrated who really had the talent amongst the two of them.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 23
RE: The.......... - 25/5/2011 4:42:13 PM   
sanchia

They are both deeply flawed for different reasons but they are not this film

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 24
RE: The.......... - 25/5/2011 4:44:10 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

They are both deeply flawed for different reasons but they are not this film

My hatred for Wolverine runs deep and wide.

X Men 3 does not bring out such feelings in me.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 25
RE: The.......... - 25/5/2011 4:46:52 PM   
MonsterCat

3/5 is better than I expected considering the production period was very short for a film of this scope.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 26
RE: The.......... - 25/5/2011 4:48:08 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

My hatred for Wolverine runs deep and wide.

As does mine, sir. It's fucking abysmal.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 27
RE: The.......... - 25/5/2011 4:48:57 PM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

3/5 is better than I expected considering the production period was very short for a film of this scope.

A lot of people are focusing about the 'production and filming' time being short on this film, how long are we talking about, does anyone know, they way everyone is referring to the point, you'd think they knocked it togther in around two months.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 28
RE: The.......... - 25/5/2011 4:50:31 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

A lot of people are focusing about the 'production and filming' time being short on this film, how long are we talking about, does anyone know, they way everyone is referring to the point, you'd think they knocked it togther in around two months.

The film started production in August last year.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 29
RE: The.......... - 25/5/2011 4:51:46 PM   
JIm R

quote:

quote:

quote:

The film started production in August last year.

Thanks

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> X-Men: First Class Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI