Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Third Star - 23/5/2011 7:56:15 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
UK Cinema at its best - 23/5/2011 7:56:15 PM   
Freshwest

this is ahidden gem of a film. I watched the film in Cardiff, and I have never seen an audience so stunned at the end of a film. Very powerful. Great advert for beautiful Pembrokeshire - stunning photograhy. Well acted - Cumberatch deserves high accolades for acting ability. Hard real life issues - skilfully written film. This is a better cinema experience than many of the formulaic 'blockbusters' doing the rounds. Good to see UK independant film makers still out there !

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Beautiful and Moving - 25/5/2011 10:40:45 AM   
forgetfulelephant

Fantastic film! The gripping story and sharp writing brings a funny and irreverent feel to a difficult subject matter. Benedict Cumberbatch is superb as James and it's a great first feature from Dalton - definitely one to watch!

Post #: 3
Superb, criminally underrated film. WAKE UP EMPIRE! - 27/5/2011 4:49:33 PM   
Sherlockology

I cannot understand this review at all. This is a simple yet eloquent film that makes us reflect on the ultimate point of our own lives.

Benedict Cumberbatch is of course the heart of the film, displaying riotous anger and deep love for the three other men with him, as they seemingly squander their lives while his precious time runs out. Superb performances all round drive home the realism of male friendship, veering from laughter to bolted down hatred of each other, all while they travel on a near bohemian adventure having a range of random encounters with the local population.

The ending is of course inevitable, but thanks to the genuine warmth and humour between the four men, when that end comes it is truly devastating without a trace of sentimentality.

This is actually a tremendous British film that deserves to be seen widely, and debated over with those dearest to you after the credits have rolled.

Post #: 4
TWO STARS?? How is that possible? - 12/1/2012 8:26:35 PM   
Twihard12

I loved it to bits. The acting was so incredible. A true tearjerker, and I loved every minute of it, because even the happy, playful bits had an underlying sadness to them.

Post #: 5
Wrong You are Just Wrong! - 17/1/2012 4:28:47 PM   
siobhancallas

This was not a perfect movie. But the way in which it got it's message across and the manner in which it did so WAS perfect. There are way too many cliched films which try to show how people deal with death and the whole point of this movie was to show that when someone close to them is dying they don't automatically move into pity mode. They feel anger and resentment and don't always say the right thing. I thought this was a truthfully moving film and the performances and relationships seemed completely real.
I mean really, I used to love Empire but you are steadily losing my respect year after year.

Post #: 6
RE: Wrong You are Just Wrong! - 22/4/2012 1:31:19 PM   
SpeedSailor

2 stars.... Just wondering if Mrs Smith was watching a different film? Or maybe she can't get the idea that she's looking at a flat image. If so your'e doomed as a reviewer.

Gripping and superbly played by all the cast.

4 stars because it was the experience of 4 individuals, their reactions and decisions. It was a good as it could have been though.

(in reply to siobhancallas)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Third Star Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI