Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: John Williams

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Soundtracks >> RE: John Williams Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: John Williams - 5/4/2006 7:20:58 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

I can't really remember the A.I. music, but then I haven't seen the film in a while. I can remember the music when they entered the flooded NY to be omniously beautiful.

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to Alistair)
Post #: 31
RE: John Williams - 5/4/2006 7:26:13 PM   
Alistair

quote:

ORIGINAL: doctorolorinbats1975

I can't really remember the A.I. music, but then I haven't seen the film in a while. I can remember the music when they entered the flooded NY to be omniously beautiful.

The highlight of the soundtrack to me, is where the aliens are flying over the frozen New York and the music melds into Where Dreams Are Born at the end. It's a beautiful piano piece. It's a stunning piece of music in general.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift...that's why they call it the present.

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 32
RE: John Williams - 7/4/2006 4:57:30 PM   
ramhouse1980

I agree fully, I had my wedding video edited to this music. It's just beautiful.

(in reply to Alistair)
Post #: 33
RE: John Williams - 8/4/2006 2:39:50 PM   
Led Zeppelin

Best Williams piece is the whole barrel chase sequences from JAWS. Superb. In fact, I'll go as far as to say that Williams' score for JAWS is the finest fusion between music and film ever put on screen. On it's own, JAWS is not an easy score to listen to but combining it with the imagery on screen, it's undoubtedly his greatest moment.

(in reply to ramhouse1980)
Post #: 34
RE: John Williams - 8/4/2006 5:47:43 PM   
cubsy1

Jaws is a great score, but my favourite marriage of music and film from Williams is the last 15 minutes of ET. I think Spielberg even re-cut the sequence to ensure the music synchronised better with the movie...

"When a man lies, he murders some part of the world" - Merlin

(in reply to Led Zeppelin)
Post #: 35
RE: John Williams - 8/4/2006 9:08:20 PM   
Jar Jar Gabor

Just to respond to Walter_Kovacs point:

There's this famous story about Brahms' reaction to critics who pointed out the striking similarity of the chorale theme of the last movement of his first symphony to Beethoven's 'Ode to Joy'; apparently Brahms' response was 'So what? Any fool can hear that!'. Hearing similarities between musical themes is not at all uncommon and, so long as it doesn't become outright plagiarism, can be fun (some passages of Bernhard Herrmann's score for Psycho are nigh on identical to Stravinsky's 'The Rites of Spring'.)

Williams may sometimes take classical themes and rework them but to suggest that he's simply a plagiarist is absurd. Let's take 'Duel of the Fates' as an example. Clearly Williams was influenced by Carl Orff's 'O Fortuna' from Carmina Burana (just as Orff was influenced by elements of Stravinsky's 'Oedipus Rex', along with Mahler and Brahms). But only a fool would say that 'Duel of the Fates' is a carbon copy of 'O Fortuna'; it's clearly a unique and original piece of work, and recognizably 'Williams'.

The many references to classical music within Star Wars are almost certainly deliberate. Let's not forget that Williams was working from a temp track that Lucas had set out and wanted him to capture the essence of. In fact, this highlights a main point about film composition - a composer must follow direction just as an actor would, and if the director has fallen in love with their temp track then they're often looking for very similar themes and moods from the original score (Zimmer's use of Holst's 'Mars, The Bringer of War' in Gladiator springs to mind).

Also, let's not forget that composers like Williams often score four or five movies a year - to expect wholly original and innovative work every single time is simply ludicrous. Particularly romantic, lyrical orchestral scores such as the ones Williams excels at. He may have two months to score two hours of material; of course he's going to look to other works for inspiration. IT'S WHAT ARTISTS DO.

Today many composers are looking to Williams for inspiration, just as he looked to Herrmann or Stravinsky. But very few of them have Williams' gift to find the emotional centre of any film and bring it out musically.

< Message edited by Jar Jar Gabor -- 8/4/2006 9:12:55 PM >

"My mother did throw me against a brick wall when I was an infant. I didn't get hurt at all. I've mentioned it to her a couple of times. She said I was a little prick."

DVD's wot I own.

(in reply to cubsy1)
Post #: 36
RE: John Williams - 8/4/2006 9:56:41 PM   
Walter_Kovacs

A good post Jar Jar Gabor at least you've been far more coherent and civilised than a particular member in this thread, however it's nothing that hasn't already been discussed.

I've already stated that I can appreciate John William's work for what it is though it doesn't detract from the fact that I don't believe he is as great as some would believe. Admittedly insinuating that he's, as you said "simply a plagiarist" is a tad harsh but the line between homage/inspiration and stealing/plagiarising is incredibly blurred, I particularly find this true of William's work as well as other's (your Zimmer/Holst comparison is one I thoroughly agree with) but then this thread isn't about other composers.

(in reply to Jar Jar Gabor)
Post #: 37
RE: John Williams - 14/4/2006 1:14:59 PM   
piano man

Hi again all John Williams fans. Just thought some of you might be interested to know that there is an interview with the maestro on bbc radio 4 at 4:30 pm today (Friday)! Should be good!

(in reply to Walter_Kovacs)
Post #: 38
RE: John Williams - 14/4/2006 1:48:40 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

Williams' collaborations with Oliver Stone often get overlooked by his Spielbeg/Lucas work.

In my opinion, Born of The Fourth of July is his most powerful and passionate score.

All I can say is JFK benefits from the drums.

Glad to hear he's on today!

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 39
RE: John Williams - 14/4/2006 5:45:00 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

quote:

ORIGINAL: piano man
Hi again all John Williams fans. Just thought some of you might be interested to know that there is an interview with the maestro on bbc radio 4 at 4:30 pm today (Friday)! Should be good!

So where the hell is he then?

(in reply to piano man)
Post #: 40
RE: John Williams - 14/4/2006 6:08:59 PM   
piano man

You sure you had the right station? Oh well, for all those who missed it, here's the link http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/filmprogramme/ - It's really good!

< Message edited by piano man -- 14/4/2006 6:09:54 PM >

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 41
RE: John Williams - 14/4/2006 6:35:21 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

My computer can't play it. Ah well. *shrugs shoulders*

(in reply to piano man)
Post #: 42
RE: John Williams - 2/6/2006 1:43:08 PM   
debsbzdc

Im so happy about finding this forum, I was begining to feel like I was the only one who actually cared about film music!
I love John Williams music, he is my fave film composer.  The very first album I ever bought was the soundtrack to Jurrassic park (yes i guess i was a bit of a strange child), so obviously i have signed the pettion for the Empire article.
I wish he would come and do a concert in England some time soon (like morricone is doing later this year).  Anyone else?

(in reply to piano man)
Post #: 43
RE: John Williams - 3/6/2006 2:57:27 PM   
adamdavidsmith

A:I - Where Dreams are Made
E.T - Adventures on Earth
Indiana Jones - Last Crusade - End Credits
Jaws - Man Against Beast
Jurassic Park - Journey to the Island
Saving Private Ryan - Hymn to the Fallen
Schindler's List - Main Theme Reprise
Star Wars - Rots - A New Hope and End Credits
Superman - Main Theme

(in reply to piano man)
Post #: 44
RE: John Williams - 20/6/2006 6:05:39 PM   
Teemo

Wow this is a hard one! Pick a favorite John Williams score?
Is this even possible? they are all so good.
it's great to see the likes of Star wars, Jurassic park and Indy in there.
I am a huge STAR WARS fan so that music holds a special place in my heart,but I feel miffed that no one has opted for the most famous two note tune of all time! yes I'm talking about JAWS! I know most people don't think theres much more than Deeer Dum, Deeer Dum. but once you listen to the full score it's packed with fantastic music. If you look at the 2000 collectors edition it has 20 tracks!
I may be a little bias as Jaws is my all time favorite movie but please, I ask that you all to listen to the score and I promise your head will be filled with those classic moments and dialog that made JAWS what it has become today.

p.s. yes I know the shark still looks fake!

< Message edited by Teemo -- 20/6/2006 6:07:29 PM >

Do or do not, there is no try.

(in reply to piano man)
Post #: 45
RE: John Williams - 27/6/2006 8:01:06 PM   
vince_vega

I agree with tech_noir "born on the fourth of july" that one gives me goosebumps!

(in reply to Teemo)
Post #: 46
RE: John Williams - 22/7/2006 3:04:24 PM   
firesidebenny

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kelly

He created the best film score ever with E.T...

What few peopl actually know is he actually had a popular band prior to his film career...

Wow. You learn something new every day.
Danny Elfman was in oingo boingo before tim burton got him to score pee wee's big adventure.

Four peshwari naans? That's insane!
Post #: 47
RE: John Williams - 22/7/2006 6:55:46 PM   
MrsAri

John Williams is awesome. He has done some amazing memorable scores but my favourite will always be the Jurassic Park Main Theme. It's my favourite movie theme of all-time and I hum it constantly.

"You wrote that world doesn't need a saviour but everyday I hear people crying for one."

My Sam Mendes fansite
Post #: 48
RE: John Williams - 23/7/2006 5:07:59 PM   
sand_is_overrated

Hook gives me shivers every time, the film would not be the same without john williams

Ned Ryerson, I dated your sister Mary Pat a couple of times until you told me not to anymore?

Idon't know if we each have a destiny, or if we're all just floating around accidental-like on a breeze, but I, I think maybe it's both.

Post #: 49
RE: John Williams - 23/7/2006 5:33:59 PM   
silverado

John Williams is indeed awesome. All the main ones such as Jaws, Star Wars, Indy & JP are magnificent. I also really like the HomeAlone theme. To be honest I didn't know it was by him 'til I got his CD but it's great.

(in reply to sand_is_overrated)
Post #: 50
RE: John Williams - 26/7/2006 10:02:25 AM   
Cuchulainn

If you haven't heard it,you should check out Williams' score for the 1979 Dracula ...great stuff.Other faves of mine-Temple Of Doom,Saving Private Ryan,Witches Of Eastwick...

"Give 'em Hell 54th!!!"

(in reply to silverado)
Post #: 51
RE: John Williams - 1/8/2006 11:08:39 AM   
Diamond Joe

Did anyone get the williams 40 years of music 4 disk cd that came out a while ago? its brilliant!! agree that empire should do some sort of write up about this legend of cinema

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
Post #: 52
RE: John Williams - 5/8/2006 3:28:10 PM   
laura1984

Yes! Hook!! Not nearly enough mention of Hook in this thread IMHO!

Personal favourite track no.7, something to do with Smee but its the music played over the menu screen on the DVD.

(in reply to sand_is_overrated)
Post #: 53
RE: John Williams - 28/8/2006 8:15:51 PM   
Private Hudson

Good shout for the Dracula score.

I have that and it is fab.

The film is okay, but his music deserves a better movie! Someone remake it and use John Williams' score (and while you're there do the same for John Barry and his Raise the Titanic score)

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to laura1984)
Post #: 54
RE: John Williams - 18/10/2006 4:49:28 PM   
unhingedmoviepigeon

For me its always a toss up between John Williams and Danny Elfman, but then after looking through my collections I now realise JW shits on everyone! John Williams has to be the greatest movie composer of all time!

Take my love.
Take my land.
Take me where I cannot stand.
I don't care, I'm still free.
You can't take the sky from me.

(in reply to piano man)
Post #: 55
RE: John Williams - 20/10/2006 7:39:45 PM   
Darth Lex

Star Wars soundtracks.

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...

(in reply to unhingedmoviepigeon)
Post #: 56
RE: John Williams - 20/10/2006 11:41:27 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

I couldn't possibly pick a favourite, the man is a legend. Good call on Home Alone. Always brings a smile to my face, that one.

If God had wanted us to walk everywhere he wouldn't have given us Little Chefs.

(in reply to Darth Lex)
Post #: 57
RE: John Williams - 2/11/2006 5:35:34 PM   
beast

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade gotta be up there (the Nazi motorbike chase), as well as the 1941 march, crap film but good score! Also Hymn to the Fallen from SPR.

My favourite tho gotta be Jurassic Park, it is what got me into film scores! Soo many fantastic themes (Main titles, Journey to the Island, Dennis Steals the Embryo!) BRILLIANT, BRILLIANT!! Gonna go listen to it!! 

< Message edited by beast -- 2/11/2006 5:36:20 PM >

(in reply to Lazy wolf eyes)
Post #: 58
RE: John Williams - 3/11/2006 1:08:16 AM   
maffew

in no order, because thats ridiculous:

indiana jones
star wars
jaws
home alone
jurassic park...

argh, im not doing any more, coz then i'll end up just listing all my favorite films, then i'll put them in order and it'll get silly..

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

(in reply to beast)
Post #: 59
RE: John Williams - 24/10/2011 10:58:20 AM   
Timon

Currently listening to the Tintin soundtrack on Spotify (spotify:track:3SZwCb3pLqVYNJAfh6yF3O) - it's good, but there doesn't appear to be a 'hero theme'. Still the 1920s French jazzy vibe fits well with the character and his world. Can't wait for the film.

A part of me wishes he'd incorporate the cartoon series film, but why would John Williams want to use anyone else's music! He's John Williams!

< Message edited by Timon -- 24/10/2011 10:59:00 AM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to piano man)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Soundtracks >> RE: John Williams Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI