Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

John Williams

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Soundtracks >> John Williams Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
John Williams - 30/9/2005 6:43:15 PM   
piano man

Hey there!
Isn't this site so cool!
All John Williams fans, come and leave a reply here. It would be good to hear from you!
Post #: 1
Happy Birthday John Williams - 8/2/2006 11:12:37 AM   
JediBobster

Today is John Williams' Birthday.

A Happy 74th John.

Let's hope we can still enjoy many more years of new John Williams' scores. I'm glad the guy never seems to retire and seems as if he'll go on composing until his last breath, may it be many moons away yet. Of course then he'll be decomposing, and he'll be the best at it too.

Happy Birthday John.

JEDI BOBSTER
Post #: 2
RE: Happy Birthday John Williams - 14/2/2006 7:05:19 PM   
~Angel~

John Williams...... love him!!!! A complete genius!! His music is so intense that it is hard to forget!

(in reply to JediBobster)
Post #: 3
RE: Happy Birthday John Williams - 1/3/2006 7:22:21 PM   
piano man

Just to let you know, there's a petition that's been started to get Empire to do a well overdue feature on Mr John Williams. Just go to http://www.petitiononline.com/gbm1138/petition.html. Please sign it and help honour the greatest film composer ever. Let's get the signatures people!

(in reply to ~Angel~)
Post #: 4
RE: Happy Birthday John Williams - 12/3/2006 7:57:06 PM   
krudler

as for his finest work it has to be the opening titles of Superman, as perfect a piece of triumphant music you could ever hear, its defines everything about what superman is,a pure slice of americana. Come on people that fanfare gives goosebumps every time,so annoyed he wont be conduction superman returns this year, even though the main theme will be on the score.roll on july,i have a friend who works as a projectionist and when revenge of the sith came out i asked him to make sure the music was really loud for the opening credits,it was great!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to piano man)
Post #: 5
RE: Happy Birthday John Williams - 12/3/2006 10:23:15 PM   
Dave B

Gotta love the mans work, especially Jurassic Park, which I'm listening to right now. Not only are the main themes brilliant but every track is both memorable and perfectly captures the mood of the film. Journey to the island and Welcome to Jurassic Park are the highlights.

Hey, what's with the flying jerks?

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 6
RE: John Williams - 12/3/2006 11:00:32 PM   
directorscut

Easily one of the greatest contributors to the history of cinema.

Here's hoping for many more years and scores from the man!

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.
Post #: 7
RE: John Williams - 13/3/2006 1:08:20 AM   
BooRadley

The first album I ever purchased - on my fourteenth birthday, October 29th 1977 -  was the double album soundtrack for 'Star Wars'. It cost me four quid ninety-nine. Have been a big fan of John Williams ever since and his work dominates my modest collection of film soundtrack cds.

Which is my favourite? How can one possibly choose? They are all so perfectly suited to the films they score. If I was forced at gunpoint to choose, I'd probably say 'Schindler's List' for its breathtaking beauty and emotional impact. But only if I absolutely had to choose.

Spooky, but misunderstood...

(in reply to piano man)
Post #: 8
RE: John Williams - 13/3/2006 12:08:05 PM   
moggins

quote:

ORIGINAL: BooRadley

The first album I ever purchased - on my fourteenth birthday, October 29th 1977 -  was the double album soundtrack for 'Star Wars'. It cost me four quid ninety-nine.

One of the few JW albums that I don't have, sadly.......I keep looking out for it on e-Bay and so on but no luck yet.....the sound quality on that release is much closer to what's heard in the movie, so I hear......quite a nostalgic album.....

I'll keep hunting!

Don't forget to sign the petition y'all!

Please sign the John Williams/Empire Magazine Petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/gbm1138/petition.html

You know it makes sense!!!!!!!

(in reply to BooRadley)
Post #: 9
RE: John Williams - 28/3/2006 10:55:40 PM   
ramhouse1980

Best John Williams music is Superman. I used to think it was Star Wars (Empire Strikes Back actually) until I was fortunate enough to here him conduct Superman live in London back in 1996. I am not ashamed to say that it made me cry. Watching all the different peices of the orchestra work together and come in at just right moments really made me apreciate how perfect that music really is. I have nothing but admiration for this man (most Oscar nominations than anyone bar Walt Disney by the way) who can so consistently push the right buttons with every score that he composes.
I actually drove 30 miles once to watch Stanley & Iris soley because John Williams did the music!
I just wish he would work more with Oliver Stone again as Born on the 4th of July and J.F.K. are superb. Even Nixon is underated as a score (and a film).
Nothing planned yet for 2006 :(

(in reply to moggins)
Post #: 10
RE: John Williams - 29/3/2006 1:39:49 PM   
moggins

quote:

Nothing planned yet for 2006 :(

Not new-movie-wise - at least, nothing confirmed as yet - however expect a new choral work, hopefully soon to be followed by a decent recording of said work and a few other bits and bobs that have been floating around for the past couple of years, and the imminent re-release of an extremely rare Williams soundtrack album - and a real cracker too.....

< Message edited by moggins -- 29/3/2006 1:40:46 PM >

Please sign the John Williams/Empire Magazine Petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/gbm1138/petition.html

(in reply to ramhouse1980)
Post #: 11
RE: John Williams - 31/3/2006 1:18:48 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

I'm sure Williams will be back of course for Indiana Jones IV and Spielberg film coming up, but like him Williams deserves a break after four scores in 2005.

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to moggins)
Post #: 12
RE: John Williams - 31/3/2006 3:55:31 PM   
moggins

quote:

ORIGINAL: doctorolorinbats1975

I'm sure Williams will be back of course for Indiana Jones IV and Spielberg film coming up, but like him Williams deserves a break after four scores in 2005.

Williams does seem to be taking a short break from Film scoring, but see post above - new choral work on it's way - hardly a break!

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 13
RE: John Williams - 31/3/2006 4:36:44 PM   
Tech_Noir

Williams' collaborations with Oliver Stone often get overlooked by his Spielbeg/Lucas work.

In my opinion, Born of The Fourth of July is his most powerful and passionate score.

(in reply to moggins)
Post #: 14
RE: John Williams - 31/3/2006 6:10:04 PM   
Walter_Kovacs

For certain John Williams should be included in the Tarantino school of hacks. All of his work seems to be a "homage" to Bach, Dvorak, Elgar, Moussorgsky, Strauss, Holst, Wagner, Mendelssohn and Grieg.

For his work on Star Wars he seems to have just lifted huge sections of Holst's The Planets, mixed in a bit of Wagner and Strauss, a dash of Elgar and fed it to Lucas under the guise of "Imperial March", "The Battle of Yavin" etc.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 15
RE: John Williams - 31/3/2006 7:07:20 PM   
ramhouse1980

I don't claim to be a huge lover of classical music (I do love Beethoven's 9th though), and I definately don't "know my stuff" with regards to clasical music so I can't really claim to be in authority on the subject of weather Williams (or any other movie composer for that matter) has "Stolen" music from others. But if you can tell me what music prior to 1978 that sounds remotely like the Superman soundtrack then I'll buy it.
All artists are "Inspired" by others that is a given fact of life.
Answer me these and you have my respect:-
What was The Accidental Tourist a ripp off of. or Jurassic Park, The Witches of Eastwick, J.F.K., Saving Private Ryan, Amistad or Home Alone.
Just because something sounds or looks like something else doesn't mean that it's a ripp off. It may just mean that they are trying to find a similar emotion, mood or feeling.

John Williams is no Hack.

But I am prepared to be proven wrong.

(in reply to Walter_Kovacs)
Post #: 16
RE: John Williams - 31/3/2006 7:45:45 PM   
Walter_Kovacs

Sorry ramhouse1980 I'm not particularly interested in earning your respect.

Post #: 17
RE: John Williams - 31/3/2006 8:56:00 PM   
ramhouse1980

Coward.

Post #: 18
RE: John Williams - 31/3/2006 9:14:08 PM   
Empitomezzo

For a long time I though his best work was on Memoirs of a Geisha.

http://zummer.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 19
RE: John Williams - 31/3/2006 9:21:19 PM   
Walter_Kovacs

quote:

ORIGINAL: ramhouse1980

Coward.

Incoherent delinquent.

Perhaps if you worded your post a little better so that it's clearly understandable what it is you want then I may be of service.

Alternatively you could go hide under your rock.

< Message edited by Walter_Kovacs -- 1/4/2006 1:06:18 PM >

Post #: 20
RE: John Williams - 1/4/2006 12:57:42 PM   
moggins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Walter_Kovacs

For certain John Williams should be included in the Tarantino school of hacks. All of his work seems to be a "homage" to Bach, Dvorak, Elgar, Moussorgsky, Strauss, Holst, Wagner, Mendelssohn and Grieg.

For his work on Star Wars he seems to have just lifted huge sections of Holst's The Planets, mixed in a bit of Wagner and Strauss, a dash of Elgar and fed it to Lucas under the guise of "Imperial March", "The Battle of Yavin" etc.

There is so much wrong with this post that I'm going to have to go and have a lie down to recover from the laughing.....

.....and then I'm just going to ignore it......

(Hint to Walter.....often it's best to back up statements with evidence - that way you get more credence, attention and respect......otherwise you just end up looking like a complete wanker).

Post #: 21
RE: John Williams - 1/4/2006 1:36:05 PM   
Walter_Kovacs

quote:

ORIGINAL: moggins

quote:

There is so much wrong with this post that I'm going to have to go and have a lie down to recover from the laughing.....

.....and then I'm just going to ignore it......

(Hint to Walter.....often it's best to back up statements with evidence - that way you get more credence, attention and respect......otherwise you just end up looking like a complete wanker).

Like you do muggins, you abhorrent fool?

Do you realise what an idiot you have clearly made yourself to be by advising me to, "back up statements with evidence - that way you get more credence, attention and respect", which I have done if you had bothered to read my post, yet you claim, "There is so much wrong with this post" and make no attempt whatsoever to point what exactly is wrong with the post except offer a few insults (I too can play that game).

Don't you find it amazing how "The Battle of Yavin" sounds remarkably like Gustav Holst's "Mars" from The Planets? How the Star Wars "Main Theme" sounds much alike Richard Wagner's work The Ring of the Nibelung? And an honourable mention to The Rite of Spring by Igor Stravinsky, which John Williams makes use of yet again. Of course "fanboys" will refute these comments probably because they've neither heard of those I've mentioned or their work (I'm looking at you muggins!) or label it as "inspiration" or "homage", it's no doubt the same hypocrites who criticise Brain De Palma and Quentin Tarantino for "scene stealing"

".....and then I'm just going to ignore it......", I thoroughly suggest you do that becuase you obviously have nothing worthwhile to contribute or the mental capacity to engage in discourse

(in reply to moggins)
Post #: 22
RE: John Williams - 1/4/2006 3:19:50 PM   
moggins

Even funnier......thanks for proving my point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post #: 23
RE: John Williams - 1/4/2006 3:34:28 PM   
Walter_Kovacs

Typical, predictable, cliched response from someone who clearly can't hack discussion on a public forum.

I'm glad that I proved your point despite the fact you have still failed to make clear what it is exactly.

Perhaps you should join ramhouse1980 underneath his/her rock.

(in reply to moggins)
Post #: 24
RE: John Williams - 1/4/2006 4:12:19 PM   
moggins

quote:

Typical, predictable, cliched response from someone who clearly can't hack discussion on a public forum.

I'm glad that I proved your point despite the fact you have still failed to make clear what it is exactly.

Perhaps you should join ramhouse1980 underneath his/her rock.

My point?  Read previous posts.....

Please stop being a tosspot, and go and vent your spleen somewhere else.....mature discussion I can more than handle......ignorant ramblings I tend to have a bit of a problem with....as do most people here, as I'm sure you will find out pretty soon.....

Byeeeeee!

Oh - PS - when you have actually listened to some John Williams music OTHER than Star Wars (which makes up about 2% of his output - hardly enough to base a discussion on, huh?  Or didn't you think of that?), please come back.....I look forward to clashing swords once more......now if you'll pardon me the fish need feeding.

Post #: 25
RE: John Williams - 1/4/2006 4:41:25 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

It doesn't matter anyway. William's music is great nonetheless: everything is tributed from another.

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to moggins)
Post #: 26
RE: John Williams - 1/4/2006 5:06:37 PM   
Walter_Kovacs

quote:

ORIGINAL: moggins

My point?  Read previous posts.....

Which I have done thank you very much. Still, what sort of point is that? Am I supposed to accept that I'm wrong because the majority consider John Williams a genius or something? Perhaps you could dissect "previous posts" as I've obviously missed something incredibly important and paramount to the discussion.

quote:

Please stop being a tosspot, and go and vent your spleen somewhere else.....mature discussion I can more than handle......ignorant ramblings I tend to have a bit of a problem with....as do most people here, as I'm sure you will find out pretty soon.....

I'd ask for you to explain why you think I'm being a "tosspot" for simply expressing my opinion (and backng it up, which you have failed to comprehend) but I'm guessing that you're just a bitter fanboy/girl who obviously can't handle a slight bit of criticism thrown at John Williams and will avoid enlightening me at all costs.

I'd also ask for you to explain why exactly my posts are "ignorant ramblings" but as I've previously found out; you have a problem when someone appears to confront you and ask for an explantion and cowardly shy away avoiding what has been asked.

quote:

Oh - PS - when you have actually listened to some John Williams music OTHER than Star Wars (which makes up about 2% of his output - hardly enough to base a discussion on, huh?  Or didn't you think of that?), please come back.....I look forward to clashing swords once more......now if you'll pardon me the fish need feeding.

Yet another predictable, cliched response, seems to be your forte.

I've listened to plenty of John Williams work, I'm not as ignorant as you so clearly are, and understandably John Williams has worked outside of Star Wars, which I am fully aware of. I do appreciate John Williams work for what it is and also his valuable contribution to cinema but I just don't think his work is as great as many would have believe.

I suggest to you that you go listen to the works of Edward Elgar, Igor Stravinsky, Gustav Holst, Richard Wagner, Richard Strauss and also Felix Mendelssohn, Modest Moussorgsky, Erich Korngold and Aaron Copland in fact there's a plethora of composers who's work John Williams has been "inspired" by, however you'll probably ignore this and continue with your inane ramblings dashed with your usual brand of verbal diarrhea as well as your contiual denial that John Williams' work isn't liked by everyone.

(in reply to moggins)
Post #: 27
RE: John Williams - 1/4/2006 7:28:24 PM   
moggins

quote:

I suggest to you that you go listen to the works of Edward Elgar, Igor Stravinsky, Gustav Holst, Richard Wagner, Richard Strauss and also Felix Mendelssohn, Modest Moussorgsky, Erich Korngold and Aaron Copland in fact there's a plethora of composers who's work John Williams has been "inspired" by, however you'll probably ignore this and continue with your inane ramblings dashed with your usual brand of verbal diarrhea as well as your contiual denial that John Williams' work isn't liked by everyone.

Ummmmm.....not only do I possess almost all of them (Korngold being a favourite, as well as Holst, and you missed out the soccer referee, by the way - essential when even attempting to discuss Williams and, more particularly, Horner in any intelligent depth)....., I have also listened to and analysed them (not all, but most), and indeed have either performed or conducted 95% of them......I hold several degrees (undergrad, postgrad, and Masters) in music or the arts of some form - and you have the cheek to write this bullshit?  Just goes to show, doesn't it?  Not only are you full of it, but you have not read the rest of this thread to find out what you are commmenting on, and neither have you got the faintest idea what you are going on about. May I politely suggest that rather than be a troll, you night look at some of the other threads on these boards and try and get the general gist of things before opening one's mouth and putting foot right in it?

Sir - you are clueless, offensive and I really pity you......

May I also suggest that you start reading a little?  Maybe putting in a little research into what you are talking about?  Firstly, of course Williams (just as much as any other composer alive today - have you heard Zimmer or Horner recently?????) is influenced by previous composers.  How could he not be?  What do you do?  Do you play Tennis?  Are you not then influenced by Tennis players???  As for Williams not being liked by everyone - ummmmmm......yet again you have somewhat missed the point......can you point out where I stated this?  nope - thought not.....

And as for why I think you're a tosspot?  Read your previous posts - it should become fairly obvious.....now please leave this thread alone?  It was all good until you started spouting.....everyone is entitled to opinions, but you are not stating opinions - you are being offensive, clueless and completely ridiculous.

Post #: 28
RE: John Williams - 1/4/2006 8:48:39 PM   
Walter_Kovacs

quote:

Ummmmm.....not only do I possess almost all of them (Korngold being a favourite, as well as Holst, and you missed out the soccer referee, by the way - essential when even attempting to discuss Williams and, more particularly, Horner in any intelligent depth)....., I have also listened to and analysed them (not all, but most), and indeed have either performed or conducted 95% of them......I hold several degrees (undergrad, postgrad, and Masters) in music or the arts of some form - and you have the cheek to write this bullshit?  Just goes to show, doesn't it? 

Goes to show what exactly? It's becoming rather habitual of yourself to completely disregard anything that I have posted and continually post this utter uniformed nonsense, unfortunately you're not fooling anyone but yourself.
Still what relevance has this to this issue that I originally raised that you see fit to attack me for? You could be John Willimas himself and it would still have no discernable bearing on my opinion or my right to express it.
Like it or not this is a public forum and if you don't like the context of my posts then there is an option for you to ignore me, I suggest that you use it.

quote:

Not only are you full of it, but you have not read the rest of this thread to find out what you are commmenting on, and neither have you got the faintest idea what you are going on about. May I politely suggest that rather than be a troll, you night look at some of the other threads on these boards and try and get the general gist of things before opening one's mouth and putting foot right in it?

I can guarantee that I've read the rest of this thread and am fully aware on what I am commenting on, how you can possibly digress that I haven't shows you for the ignorant charlatan that you are. Furthermore please explain how my posts constitute to being trollish? I have clearly risen an issue and applied my reasons for my opinion, yet again you fail to comprehend this, unsurpirsngly of course. Also What has looking at other threads on this board have to do with what I contribute to this thread? You're don't represnet the demographic of this community nor are you a 'sacred fruit' of it either.
If I have violated the T&Cs of this board then alert a moderator/administrator, being a troll is, I believe infringement of the forum rules either that or get a grip.

quote:

Sir - you are clueless, offensive and I really pity you......

The irony of that comment is outrageous. Take a look at your posts, please. 

quote:

May I also suggest that you start reading a little?  Maybe putting in a little research into what you are talking about?  Firstly, of course Williams (just as much as any other composer alive today - have you heard Zimmer or Horner recently?????) is influenced by previous composers.  How could he not be?  What do you do?  Do you play Tennis?  Are you not then influenced by Tennis players??? 

What on Earth are talking blabbling on about? Seriously, tennis?

Yet again it's your typical brand of rubbish: complete irrelevance and inane tosh.

I am fully aware of what I am talking about and have fully researched. It seems than rather to acknowledge that fact you have decidedly taken a 'cheap shot' at attempt to throw insults around. It's not really working, sorry to tell you that.

quote:

As for Williams not being liked by everyone - ummmmmm......yet again you have somewhat missed the point......can you point out where I stated this?  nope - thought not....

What point? You're really going to have to be a little more coherent because you're behaving like some half wit. I can't point it out because yet again you have failed to point out exactly what your point is instead you continue to presume that it's crystal clear but in reality it's as twisted and irrational as your mind.

Just accpet the fact the John Williams' work is not liked by everyone it may be difficult for you to fathom but it will make you a much more respected person if you learn that the quality of "Imperial March", "The Planet Krypton", "Flying Theme" or any other of his works are purely subjective and their value differs from person to person.

quote:

And as for why I think you're a tosspot?  Read your previous posts - it should become fairly obvious.....now please leave this thread alone?  It was all good until you started spouting.....everyone is entitled to opinions, but you are not stating opinions - you are being offensive, clueless and completely ridiculous.

No, it's not obvious and the person being offensive, clueless and completely ridiculous is yourself, you hypocrite.

Unfortunately for you I am stating opinion, an opinion which I have purposefully backed up by presenting clear examples, I don't think I could make it any more simpler for you, and no I will not leave this thread alone; I am entitled just as much as you to contribute, deal with it.

No doubt the return leg will be more irrelevant, off-topic nonsense with no vision or anythinf worthwhile. Considering that the thread has taking what seems to be a nose-dive and has very little context in regards to John Williams' work I recommend that we put this crap to an end.

(in reply to moggins)
Post #: 29
RE: John Williams - 5/4/2006 7:02:40 PM   
Alistair

Well, I'll try and kick start this thread after that debacle.

What does everyone think of the A.I soundtrack, specifically the track - Where Dreams Are Born.

Personally, that single piece of music (echoes of which play throughout the film) is one of the greatest works of John Williams' career.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift...that's why they call it the present.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Soundtracks >> John Williams Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI