Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Blitz - 18/5/2011 7:32:23 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 18/5/2011 7:32:23 PM   
Coyleone

This is one of the worst film reviews I have ever read.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Statham Doing What He Does Best I Love It - 20/5/2011 7:07:51 PM   
Bighousewill

About three minutes into this film I realized I was on to a winner with Blitz. Statham is hard as nails and the manliest cop I've seen for a while, the baddie is bat shit psycho crazy and a genuine threatening danger to the cops. This film has all the thrills you need and if you like cop films you can't go wrong really. A satisfying four stars from me.

Post #: 3
THE HOMOPHOBIC COP AND THE RABBI - 24/5/2011 11:28:50 AM   
The Rebel

I just came acorss this on facebook. Apparently the film was blessed by a Rabbi before screen shooting. Jason Statham was there. You can read it here. Quite humorous. http://bit.ly/9m6prt
Good Movie.

Post #: 4
RE: THE HOMOPHOBIC COP AND THE RABBI - 26/5/2011 12:59:18 PM   
Dr Lenera

In London, Detective Sergeant Tom Brant has a drinking problem, a knack for getting himself into trouble and using supposedly unnecessary force.  After he wastes three thugs breaking into a car, he is threatened with suspension and then enlisted to work under openly gay DS Porter Nash, who by-the-book methods are rather different from Brantís.  The mission- to hunt down a killer who seems to be targeting cops and who also likes to tell Craig Stokes, a journalist , what he is about to do.   He is aided by his ex-boss James Roberts and undercover cop Elisabeth Falls, but the killer, who seems to be a drug addict called Barry Wiess, seems to always be one step ahead of themÖÖÖ

Iím rather fond of Jason Statham.  He seems to have carved a niche for himself, playing the same kind of character in the same kind of movie,  and hurrah for that, heís good at it, and the films are always great, blokeish, beer and kebab movies that just aim to give us a good time.  Heís also said that he normally makes the kind of films that he likes to watch, so I reckon that heís probably quite happy doing what heís doing and wouldnít want to change, though of course heís not nearly as big a star as someone like, say,  Arnold Schwarzenegger, despite being a far better actor.   Blitz therefore comes across as a curious effort.   Itís based on a novel by Ken Bruen,  and it looks like to me itís been partially turned into a Statham vehicle-apparently the main character is nothing like Statham in the book.  I say partially though, because the Stath has precious little action in the film.  Rather than an action movie itís a police mystery thriller, and being not that different from something you could probably watch on TV most evenings, itís almost totally unoriginal.  It is reasonably enjoyable,  and Statham is still Statham as he always is, but I think a great many people are going to be disappointed by Blitz.

We certainly open in typical cool Statham movie fashion, where he beats up the three car-jacking youths with a hurley. ďHurley, a cross between hockey and murderĒ he says in his best manner.  Then we get into the main murder mystery plot, and to be honest , it quickly becomes a bit of a mess.  Although not especially complicated, the script suffers from too many characters which have little bearing on the main story and situations which arenít really explained properly.  It seems obvious that writer Nathan Parker [who wrote Moon] didnít really know how to adapt an obviously densely plotted novel for the screen, and I wonder if this it would have worked better as a two or three part TV drama.  A good example is how does Blitz, the killer, know where all of Londonís cameras are?  It seems like the sort of thing that would have been explained in the book.  I kept asking myself things like this whilst watching the movie, another thing being how on earth did Blitz leave no DNA evidence at any crime scene as he wore his normal clothes.  Honestly, as a murder mystery itís pretty inept, which is possibly why we find out who the killer is about half way through to make things easier, after which the film starts to resemble a British Dirty Harry [though without the action] or even more, Ten To Midnight.  The tension does increase as weíre not entirely sure who will get who, but the film wastes time on subsidiary characters and stories who should either have been removed or had more spent on them so they register more and make more sense-as the film stands they are just a nuisance.

Iíve mentioned thereís little action and honestly all you get is the brief opening brawl, a rather fine foot chase and a brief fight at the end.  At least there are some great Statham moments and lines up there with the best.  ďAre you as nancy as they say?Ē he asks Nash sensitively, ďdo I look like I carry a pencil?Ē he replies to a request that he writes down information, and in my favourite scene he gets into a pub and is refused a drink because itís closed.  He reaches behind the bar, grabs himself a glass and talks the guy into serving him.  As he leaves he is asked to pay and refuses-he says he doesnít have to pay because the pubís closed.  This stuff is great, but it feels like it has been shoehorned into the film ,which I think would have been better deadly serious.  As it is, thereís a real depressed look to the movie, with dingy pubs and decrepit rooms murkily shot emphasising browns and greys, and cinematographer Rob Hardy almost achieves a certain poetry out of this.  Now this movie is an Ď18í, which these days normally means that itís quite extreme, but the bloody shootings are average and the two other killings, a bludgeoning with a hammer and a drowning in a toilet bowl, occur mostly off screen.  The swearing isnít constant either so I havenít got a clue why it has the certificate it has.  I also donít understand why many British films have to overdo the ďappealing to AmericansĒ bit, here we have the usual things like pubs indentified by signs saying ďbarĒ and someoneís weight being described in pounds rather than stones.

Statham is still Statham, and heís as cool as ever, but Paddy Considine is a perfect foil for him as Nash, and the two actors, though very different in style, have such chemistry I wish they were in a better movie.  Considine is as superb as ever-look at the subtle ways he indicates that his character is gay, without especially drawing attention to it.  Aiden Gillen is a terrific psychopath, one of the best in a while, you really donít know what heís going to do most of the time and you really feel he could explode.  In fact the acting is this movie is of a high standard throughout and everyone really does what they can with their underwritten characters, a good example being Zawe Ashton as Elizabeth Falls, the cop who was once a drug addict and is up to something we are not sure about.  Iím not really a fan of composer Ilan Eshkeri, but his techn Ėinspired score does work quite well for Blitz and goes excitingly into overdrive at certain key points.  Now Iíve read that this film was made with an eye to having a series, and I can see Tom Brant, and in the form of Statham, in future films.  I hope they do a better job of it next time round.

5/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to The Rebel)
Post #: 5
is homophobia acceptable as long as it draws a snigger? - 26/5/2011 2:16:06 PM   
endafk

Terrible movie, full of anti-gay comments, awful performances, crappy writing, and this review is bizarre. Did the reviewer watch the same movie or just read the press release? I'm disappointed, Empire used to be a dependable read.

Post #: 6
RE: is homophobia acceptable as long as it draws a snig... - 1/6/2011 8:58:51 AM   
wakeuptimetodie

Utter shite.

(in reply to endafk)
Post #: 7
RE: is homophobia acceptable as long as it draws a snig... - 1/6/2011 9:10:11 AM   
wakeuptimetodie

Sometimes you get a nice surprise when you go to a movie having never heard anything about it before hand. Other times you get The Blitz.

(in reply to wakeuptimetodie)
Post #: 8
RE: is homophobia acceptable as long as it draws a snig... - 9/6/2011 12:53:23 PM   
pauljthomas

I went to watch this the other week as I had time to kill & had seen most other films on at the time, I knew absolutely nothing about this film beforehand.

Blitz began & my first thought was "oh shit, it's a Statham film, better walk out", but I'm glad I stayed. It was Statham's best since Snatch, gritty, funny at times & pretty graphic with the violence but also entertaining & well written.

SPOILER ALERT I failed to see the point of the female junky cop after thinking she was going to be key to the story, but she didn't really amount to anything. The ending was a touch predictable but good nonetheless.

You know how I know your gay? You like Coldplay

BUS WANKERS!!!!

(in reply to wakeuptimetodie)
Post #: 9
Awful, awful film. - 12/9/2011 12:40:54 PM   
jon5000

Completely agree with the homophobic analysis. This is the kind of typical shit-fare Statham is usually game for, however I'm most disappointed at Considine for apparently lowering himself after several hugely impressive performances in other films.

I think this film speaks volumes about the state of the British film industry as a whole. I'm getting a bit fed up of middle class filmmakers making 'dark and gritty' films on council estates. I'm fed up of London looking so deliberately, 'stylistically' drab.

Post #: 10
Blitz: Review - 25/9/2011 1:01:16 AM   
Edward9630

Blitz is a good film. It has a good story, good cast and cool scenes. The problems with the film is it isn't Jason Stateman's best film and some scenes are just boring. I would recommend to go see this film.

Post #: 11
GOOD ONE! - 9/10/2011 12:16:11 PM   
chrisdagnall

I ENJOYED. STATHAM IS ALWAYS ENTERTAINING, AND A GOOD VILLAIN IN GILLEN. NICE ENDING TOO....

Post #: 12
RE: GOOD ONE! - 21/11/2011 4:41:36 PM   
Goodfella

Jason Statham's one-liners and awful South London slash slight Irish accent are as cringe-worthy as they're going to come, but this is a surprisingly entertaining, high-octane, popcorn-munching action flick, it basically does exactly what it says on the tin and should not be taken remotely seriously, that does not mean you can't enjoy it though and I certainly did.

As for the "homophobia," do me a favour!

4/5

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to chrisdagnall)
Post #: 13
Dreadful! - 17/2/2012 11:12:35 AM   
discodave101

3 stars Mr Newman? Oh my lord. I think they showed you another film and tricked you.

This is a dreadful, badly cliched, unintelligent film. It easily wins the honour of the worst film I've seen in the past 5 years. This is straight-to-dvd fare at its best. I'm not going to even bother going into detail as to exactly why its so bad.

Don't watch it, or, in fact, DO watch it in astonishment that Empire gave it 3 stars.

Post #: 14
RE: GOOD ONE! - 29/4/2012 6:52:52 PM   
wakeuptimetodie

Does it say 'shit' on the tin?

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 15
RE: Blitz - 2/5/2012 5:41:08 PM   
Phubbs

Mr Statham is a hard ass cop, no surprise there then, he's butch, gruff, unshaved and talks like 'Dirty Harry'....so we know where we are then. Based on a novel I have never heard of so I can't compare but the film is pretty good for a British cop thriller to be fair and doesn't feel over glamorised in any way.

Based in London with a dirty gritty flavour to it the film is a full UK affair with a good solid cast of character actors giving a nice realistic feel but also a slight hint of 'The Bill' at the same time haha. This is perfectly fine I might add and just feels like a TV movie...but with the powerhouse that is Statham running amok in it like a balding rottweiler, actually he doesn't quite fit the film to be honest. Statham has become a total action man and this slow burning stalker type thriller isn't really the vehicle for Statham's skills as he kinda sticks out against the other slow moving coppers and Aidan Gillen's excellently played psychotic killer but its still a good ride.

Post #: 16
RE: Blitz - 3/2/2013 5:51:02 PM   
sanchia

What a horrible little film. I am trying to think of a redeeming feature but am struggling to find one. To think I thought Crank was awful, this is about five times worse.

Essentially it tries to emulate the gritty 70's cop films but lacks any of the charm presented in them. The main character is an anti hero but lacking charisma or quality, Statham is on growl only mode having decided to not bother acting at all. The plot is messy, surprisingly dull and hacknied. The cinematography is ok if unsurprising.

Avoid it like herpes.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 17
RE: Blitz - 20/7/2014 9:28:34 PM   
Indio

Bloody awful, you should never expect too much from a Jason Statham film but I just felt embarassed for the likes of Paddy Considine, Aidan Gillen, Mark Rylance and David Morrissey appearing in toss like this. Tries to be Dirty Harry but ends up like a piss poor version of Monkfish.

'Think about the future.'

Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Blitz Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI