Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Ubisoft Planning Splinter Cell Film

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Ubisoft Planning Splinter Cell Film Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ubisoft Planning Splinter Cell Film - 16/5/2011 6:45:22 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Game For Return Of Noir - 16/5/2011 8:14:49 AM   
Mario Vito

quote:

ORIGINAL: BenTramer

There's a new game out soon called L.A. Noire that would make a good movie. Get James Ellroy to do the script. The character on the box cover looks like Christian Bale.

You've kind of missed the whole point of LA Noire. It's a game that's meant to bridge the gap between movies and videogames. Making a movie of it would devalue the game.

When these Ubisoft movies come out, I don't want them to be cinematic versions of the games. I don't want to hear about Sam Fisher or Desmond or Ezio. I've already heard their stories.

I don't mind if these films use the universes of these games, but straight translations of the games to film makes games seem like an inferior medium of entertainment.
Post #: 2
RE: This will be a typical computer game to film fuck u... - 16/5/2011 1:28:20 PM   
Dan! Dan! Dan!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Porter

...The problem is, producers are always trapped by the need to satisfy gamers with nods to the original product. Story comes a distant second to staging live-action versions of events in the game. Prince of Persia was probably the best live-action adaptation there's been in terms of story and character, but even that was pretty dire. Just write something original, for crying out loud.

I think the problem has been that in the past, video games were pretty much fed through the studio mill to fit any pre-existing genre. But you’re right; it doesn’t help when the producers think of the average gamer as an ADHD afflicted teen who needs a gunfight every 5 minutes before they get bored (Hitman’s a classic example of this).

Personally, I think this is good news. For a while now, developers have been doing some interesting work with short films of their games. They’re pretty much done for marketing purposes, but they’re more imaginative and faithful that any adaptation Hollywood has made to date. Check out Assassin’s Creed: Lineage and the Bright Falls prequels to Alan Wake for examples of this. Hopefully, this’ll lead the way for developers to start exerting more control over how their titles are adapted for screen and finally, we may just see a decent video game flick at long last.       
Post #: 3
nice idea but still not sure - 16/5/2011 2:29:54 PM   
dapieman

Regarding Splinter Cell: this could work but it'd be bastard hard because the thrill of the games is largely the stealth which while awesome for a section of the film would drag over a feature length.

Assassin's Creed is frankly awesome and I loved the games but the whole accessing the past through genetic memory bobbins that drives the game's plot would suck donkey balls on screen. Gamers are willing to over look the ridiculousness of it provided, a few minutes later, they can leap from the venetian canal, fillet a passing ne'er do well and haul him down to a watery grave. Film goers will be exposed to the blatant shonky premise in all it's wanky crapness...
Post #: 4
Splinter Cell - 23/5/2011 11:45:11 AM   
Kezabien

Wasn't there a Splinter Cell movie trailer on one of the games (Chaos Theory on the Xbox, I believe)?

As a gamer I tend to not watch movies about them as they generally ruin everything about it. The only ones I actually enjoyed were Silent Hill, Mortal Kombat and Hitman,

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Ubisoft Planning Splinter Cell Film Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI