Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Top Ten Movie Based Games.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> Top Ten Movie Based Games. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Top Ten Movie Based Games. - 13/5/2011 11:16:48 PM   
directorscut

Movie tie-in games are usually garbage but here are a couple of gems. 

Just to clarify these are games based specifically on the movie so spin-offs like KOTOR or RoboCop vs. The Terminator won't be on here.

Batman Returns (SNES)  

Many people will say the NES platformer is better but nuts to them.  This is one of the most fun scrolling beat-em-ups on the SNES.  It was spot-on in capturing the look and feel of the movie, and finally gamers could really feel like Batman kicking the crap out of clowns and other such delinquents.  It's fairly short but that's a good thing for games like this.  Apparently there was also a point and click adventure game on PC.  I've got to check that out.

The Lord of the Rings:  Return of the King (PC)

Holy cow Batman.  It's an EA movie tie-in that is actually pretty damn good.  This is a surprisingly fun hack n'slash game.  The co-op experience was the closest I've got to replicating the fun of Golden Axe in 3D.  The game does a good job at putting you inside the movie's battle scenes.  There are multiple paths, you get to pick from a wide range of characters from the movie and you can level up and obtain new special moves.  Best played on the PC as the console versions have far weaker graphics and choppy frame-rate (especially in the large scale battles) which interrupts the fluid combat.

Star Trek: Generations (PC) 

Back when FPSs could be more than just endless killing and explosions, Microprose continued their fine tradition of awesome Star Trek games with this versatile FPS that included puzzles, explorations, non-linear level design and the ability to set phasers to stun.  Each character had a different world to explore and the navigation screen was sweet.

Super Star Wars Trilogy (SNES)

They sure took their sweet time, but 15 years after the first film came out the Star Wars trilogy finally had a decent, nay, excellent game to its name.  Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi followed annually, maintaining the quality of the first game while adding sone new stuff.  Finally the events of the films were presented in glorious and vibrant 16-bit graphics. The games had a great mixture of Contra-style side scrolling action bonanza levels, Mode 7 vehicle sections and FPS parts, as well as doing lightsabres and force powers right for the first time.  X-Wing followed the year after the first game was released and the Star Wars gaming franchise exploded.

Aladdin (Mega Drive)

Quite why the original Prince of Persia has such a great reputation and this game has been virtually forgotten is beyond me. This is much more fun. I mean this actually has good controls for one. It also has pleasing visuals, excellent score, fun bonus levels and fun static character animation. A superior platformer that can hold its head up high against any other of the 16 bit genre. Disney tried to replicate its success with The Lion King but it was nowhere near as good. Also for some nostalgic console warring, the Mega Drive version was far superior to the SNES.

Coming soon... the rest of the list.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.
Post #: 1
RE: Top Ten Movie Based Games. - 16/5/2011 1:23:27 PM   
jcthefirst

Whoa whoa whoa, The Lion King had the stampede level. I will not hear a bad word said against it.

Aladdin was great though. I especially loved the Inside the Genie's Lamp level. With Friend Like Me playing in the background.

Also, (pause) A B B A A B B A is the skip level cheat for anyone who's interested.

level.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 2
RE: Top Ten Movie Based Games. - 16/5/2011 5:39:02 PM   
juanvasquez

I loved Super Star Wars. It was one of few SNES games I actually owned and would play it all the time. Unfortunately I never played the sequels but would love to. I haven't played any of the others, but that Batman one looks pretty cool.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 3
RE: Top Ten Movie Based Games. - 16/5/2011 9:12:07 PM   
borstal

Goldeneye.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 4
RE: Top Ten Movie Based Games. - 16/5/2011 10:12:41 PM   
directorscut

Star Wars Trilogy (Arcade)

More Star Wars. Sure this may be a fairly simple rail-shooter but what makes it is the immersion. The graphics were awesome for its time and featured perfect 3D graphic boosted re-enactments of the Death Star trench run and Battle of Hoth. It also had the Battle of Endor but that wasn't as cool.  It was even better if you could find it with the cockpit seat as you could really believe you were Luke taking part on Tie-fighters and the Death Star.  It was well worth the premium £1 per play price back in the day.  Tragically this was never ported to home consoles. What the dilli-o?

The Thing (PC)

Made back when survival horror games included "survival" and "horror" and wasn't just about a one man army shooting thousands of enemies apart The Thing does an excellent job capturing the desolation of being stuck in the Arctic with aliens hell-bent on your destruction.  Because ammo, guns and supplies are rare you really needed to manage and ration your supplies. The game had some excellent ideas including squad management, your companions having a fear level that would make them nervous wrecks if it went up to high and the ability to freeze to death and you really needed to manage and ration your supplies.

Spider-Man 2 (XBOX)

Sure the story missions were mostly pants but when the core gameplay is so good it's easy to overlook. You could spend hours just swinging around New York city because the swinging mechanic was so much fun. Much like Crackdown is was using your character's superhuman abilities to hunt down hidden collectables that was the most addictive part of the game. While climbing up to the top of the highest building and then freefall until you shoot a web just before splatting the ground is the most fun. It's a damn shame subsequent Spider-Man games haven't built up on the awesome concept of this game.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (PC)

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is the third SCUMM and the one that set the standard for SCUMM games up until Full Throttle. It's largely overshadowed now by the awesome Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis but it is still an excellent gams.  Ironically perhaps the game's biggest weakness is its ambition to follow the film almost to a tee.  LucasArts adventure games are known for their great and creative stories but The Last Crusade was very much like playing the film and the only surprises are the additional dialogue and jokes, and twists on puzzles found in the movie.  The game's biggest plus was that it did encouraged replay more than most adventure games with multiple ways to solve the puzzles and action scenes.  This also meant you had a better chance of solving the puzzles as you weren't beholden to the one completely obscure way the designers decided was sadistic enough.

Coming up... the #1.  I'm sure you can all guess what it is. 

Post #: 5
RE: Top Ten Movie Based Games. - 16/5/2011 10:16:19 PM   
DJ Satan

Anything but Goldeneye?

Let it be King Kong.

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

Post #: 6
RE: Top Ten Movie Based Games. - 16/5/2011 10:45:57 PM   
James2183

I was useless at Indiana Jones. I got as far as escaping the office and getting picked up in the car.

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 7
RE: Top Ten Movie Based Games. - 16/5/2011 10:51:08 PM   
foodage

I'm no gamer, and I don't even know what a Mega Drive is, but I had that Aladdin game on PC and it was seriously awesome.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 8
RE: Top Ten Movie Based Games. - 17/5/2011 8:11:48 AM   
borstal

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan

Anything but Goldeneye?

OK, big heads and slappers on and your Coltrane.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 9
RE: Top Ten Movie Based Games. - 17/5/2011 9:20:44 AM   
jcthefirst

Yes, Spiderman 2 is a brilliant game.

And as you say, no other Spidey game has come close.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 10
RE: Top Ten Movie Based Games. - 17/5/2011 11:38:22 AM   
juanvasquez

I played the Star Wars Trilogy arcade game a couple of times, but not enough to form a decent opinion, I enjoyed what I played though.

The Thing was a really good game. Very creepy and tense. Never finished it though. I think I got stuck. Years ago now though.

Spiderman 2 was a superb game. I played it through a good few times. As you say, no other Spiderman game comes close.

If your number 1 isn't ET on the Atari, I'll be very surprised.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 11
RE: Top Ten Movie Based Games. - 17/5/2011 11:57:48 AM   
Rob

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

I played the Star Wars Trilogy arcade game a couple of times, but not enough to form a decent opinion, I enjoyed what I played though.

The Thing was a really good game. Very creepy and tense. Never finished it though. I think I got stuck. Years ago now though.

Spiderman 2 was a superb game. I played it through a good few times. As you say, no other Spiderman game comes close.

If your number 1 isn't ET on the Atari, I'll be very surprised.

Absolutely amazing game. Such a shame the this generation of consoles hasn't come close to replicating the sheer joy of swinging through New York.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Post #: 12
RE: Top Ten Movie Based Games. - 17/5/2011 2:56:33 PM   
thepluginbaby

quote:

Anything but Goldeneye?

Let it be King Kong.

Hell yes. King Kong was fantastic, I don't know why it gets such a bad rep.

Few games know how to do dinosaurs properly (see Turok for example, fire biggest gun at the big target) but Kong had it nailed but what can you expect from Michael 'Beyone Good and Evil' Acer. Sure the bits where you play as Kong were a bit naff, though there was a bit of satisfaction to be had from laying the smackdown WWF style on a troop of V-rexes. Of course these bits only served to offset the immense feeling of disempowerment you had when playing as Adrien Brody's character. Literally scrambling around in the dirt, hurling spears at giant bugs/dinosaurs or at least distracting them with bait to give you enough time to leg it to a place of marginal safety. The game did arm you with conventional firearms but against a V-Rex they were mostly useless, you would instead have to act as bait to lure them away from your party members. The game is obviously very scripted and highly formulaic, find key to open door kind of mechanics it still managed to be one of the most immersive movie adaptations ever. The whole premise of the movie was adapted and expanded intelligently into video game form which so many rushed movie adaptations and normal games in general just fail to do.

I think people's problem with the game seems to lie with the movie, which split people like marmite. No one liked Jack Black in the role of Denham but for a game that goes against the usual grain to provide a unique experience King Kong was awesome.

Obviously I feel very strongly about this, after being mocked on several occasions about it. What you don't like dinosaurs?

"I have come to the conclusion that my gut, has shit for brains."

"Must go faster..."

My personal blog, ToBePhair, full of frantic movie/music/video game scribblings: http://tobephair.blogspot.com/

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ToBePhair

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 13
RE: Top Ten Movie Based Games. - 18/5/2011 7:51:51 PM   
directorscut

Blade Runner (PC)

What else could the #1 be but Westwood Studio's point and click adventure masterpiece? If there is a game that does a better job at immersing you into the movie world I haven't played it. The recreation of movie locations is amazing and the new areas feel like natural extensions of the film. Vangelis' muisc and the fantastic ambient sound make it an incredible aural experience. The game's story runs parallel to the film, you play as another blade runner, McCoy hunting down other replicants, but you get to visit locations and character Deckard does in the movie and hear references to his investigation. Then there's the gameplay that gets down pat the job of a detective better than any other game I've play. Interviewing people, collecting clues and exaiming them (the "Enhance" machine), chasing suspects, you even get to use the Voight-Kampff test. If the game's quality wasn't enough to get you to replay it, the game has multiple endings, important morals choices to make and missable events. It's likely you'll find something new everything you play it. The game is full of detail and every part of it feels like it was made with passion by people who love the movie rather than trying to make a buck on the movie's name. Tragically with evil overlords like EA buying up and killing studios like Westwood it is unlikely we'll see a game like this ever again. 

(in reply to thepluginbaby)
Post #: 14
RE: Top Ten Movie Based Games. - 18/5/2011 8:10:02 PM   
DJ Satan

Good call.

I must have completed it 2 or 3 times when it came out.

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

Post #: 15
RE: Top Ten Movie Based Games. - 18/5/2011 8:41:47 PM   
juanvasquez

I'm genuinely gutted I never played Blade Runner. I read an article on it a year or 2 ago in Games TM and sounded ace.

My top ten would be as follows (off the top of my head):

10: Jurassic Park (Master System)
9: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike (Cube)
8: King Kong (360)
7: Terminator 2 (Master System)
6: Goldeneye (N64)
5: Toy Story 3 (360)
4: Spider-man 2 (PS2)
3: Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader (Cube)
2: Super Star Wars (SNES)
1: LEGO Star Wars TCS (360)

Post #: 16
RE: Top Ten Movie Based Games. - 19/5/2011 10:22:38 AM   
borstal

Nice list DC, having a quick think I cant think of many movie based games heres my very tiny list

1 Goldeneye N64
2 Super Star Wars SNES
3 Cobra ZX Spectrum
4 Alien 3 SNES

Post #: 17
RE: Top Ten Movie Based Games. - 19/5/2011 6:56:23 PM   
jinks

quote:

ORIGINAL: thepluginbaby

quote:

Anything but Goldeneye?

Let it be King Kong.

Hell yes. King Kong was fantastic, I don't know why it gets such a bad rep.

110% totally and utterly agree with you there on this one dude, this and Goldeneye N64 are EASILY in my top 3 of movie based games. Finished it several times on PS2, still yet to totally finish it on 360. It's brilliant and deserves more credit than it gets.

Special mentions also go out to the following for being actually rather good movie based games (in my opinion and i dont think these have been mentioned yet)

X-Men Origins: Wolverine   Actually miles better than the film its based on, really something quite good indeed.

The Matrix: The Path Of Neo  - Once you get past the early levels and disregard the irritating Merovigeon 'ant' level its surprisingly good with some superb touches, like when fighting Seraph in the cinema with the actual film footage playing behind you.

Jurassic Park (SNES) - a lot more enjoyable than the Megadrive version and the first time you see an FPS on the SNES when entering buildings, to me, was a sight to behold.

The Warriors - only seen a little bit of the film, but have this on the PSP and had it on the PS2, great fun and a decent length too (the unlockable side scrolling mode was a hoot).

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay - Couldve been a little longer but the game as a whole was very absorbing

< Message edited by jinks -- 19/5/2011 6:58:36 PM >

Post #: 18
RE: Top Ten Movie Based Games. - 19/5/2011 7:38:26 PM   
Frank Castle

My 2 favs on the spectrum

both excellent games and i still play them on my emulator

" guys its ok, he just wanted his machette back"!!

(in reply to jinks)
Post #: 19
RE: Top Ten Movie Based Games. - 19/5/2011 9:55:46 PM   
borstal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frank Castle

My 2 favs on the spectrum

both excellent games and i still play them on my emulator

No Cobra love Frank?

(in reply to Frank Castle)
Post #: 20
RE: Top Ten Movie Based Games. - 20/5/2011 1:19:53 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

I was expecting more love for Ghostbusters, Godfather 1 & 2 and Chronicles of Riddick around these parts. They seemed quite popular on these forums. And no Hannah Montana love from DJS?!?

My list would be.

1. Goldeneye
2. Aladdin
3. Lion King
4. Toy Story
5. Toy Story 3
6. Ducktales (Gameboy) - There was a film, it counts...
7. The Simpsons Game - Again, there's been a movie...
8. South Park 64 - once again a movie exists, so I'm counting it.

If parodies were allowed then Conkers Bad Fur Day and GTA Vice City would feature highly up that list.

Can't really think of more that were enjoyable,

< Message edited by Sexual Harassment Panda -- 20/5/2011 10:07:30 AM >

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 21
RE: Top Ten Movie Based Games. - 20/5/2011 1:42:51 AM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

I was expecting more love for Ghostbusters

The Mega Drive version came close to making the list.

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 22
RE: Top Ten Movie Based Games. - 20/5/2011 1:36:06 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Blade Runner (PC)

What else could the #1 be but Westwood Studio's point and click adventure masterpiece? If there is a game that does a better job at immersing you into the movie world I haven't played it. The recreation of movie locations is amazing and the new areas feel like natural extensions of the film. Vangelis' muisc and the fantastic ambient sound make it an incredible aural experience. The game's story runs parallel to the film, you play as another blade runner, McCoy hunting down other replicants, but you get to visit locations and character Deckard does in the movie and hear references to his investigation. Then there's the gameplay that gets down pat the job of a detective better than any other game I've play. Interviewing people, collecting clues and exaiming them (the "Enhance" machine), chasing suspects, you even get to use the Voight-Kampff test. If the game's quality wasn't enough to get you to replay it, the game has multiple endings, important morals choices to make and missable events. It's likely you'll find something new everything you play it. The game is full of detail and every part of it feels like it was made with passion by people who love the movie rather than trying to make a buck on the movie's name. Tragically with evil overlords like EA buying up and killing studios like Westwood it is unlikely we'll see a game like this ever again. 

Yes! I badly need a copy of this to replay. Gutted that I didn't buy my own version back in the day, but just played an old uni housemates version instead.

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

Post #: 23
RE: Top Ten Movie Based Games. - 20/5/2011 6:58:56 PM   
jinks

Could we count The Punisher? Came out the same time as the actually quite decent film did.

Got Thomas Jane doing the voice-over for Frank Castle too

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 24
RE: Top Ten Movie Based Games. - 21/5/2011 10:59:33 AM   
Sleazy

Punisher was a fanastic game, loved the interrogation bits.

Gamertag: Sleazycome

PSN ID: Sleazytoon

(in reply to jinks)
Post #: 25
RE: Top Ten Movie Based Games. - 22/5/2011 1:33:32 PM   
thepluginbaby

Anyone played Alien Resurrection for the PSone?

It was in development for years and came out towards the end of the playstation's life cycle. But I do remember it being pretty scary and very atmospheric, almost like a first person survival horror.

< Message edited by thepluginbaby -- 22/5/2011 1:34:39 PM >

"Must go faster..."

My personal blog, ToBePhair, full of frantic movie/music/video game scribblings: http://tobephair.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 26
RE: Top Ten Movie Based Games. - 23/5/2011 10:04:05 AM   
jinks

quote:

It was in development for years and came out towards the end of the playstation's life cycle. But I do remember it being pretty scary and very atmospheric, almost like a first person survival horror.

I remember this one!! Got it for christmas one year, the underwater sections were great -very tough game though. When you got infected by a face-hugger it was basically a race through the level to find some machine to get the chest burster irradiated before you die.
Funnily enough, on the VHS release of the Alien Quadrilogy it actually had the original game trailer for Alien Ressurection - a third person shooter a little like a higher polygon version of Resident Evil in way. Ending with 'Coming soon on Playstation, Sega Saturn and Windows 95 CD-Rom'

Anyone enjoy Alien Trilogy on PS1?

First game i actually bought on the PS1. Doesnt follow the plot AT all of the original 3 films, but served as a decent enough blaster. The murmours of the dudes stuck to the walls were pretty eerie as was the music that played when you were in dark basement..ummm..places. The death cutscenes changed however you died in the game. Very cool...at the time.

< Message edited by jinks -- 23/5/2011 10:09:06 AM >

Post #: 27
RE: Top Ten Movie Based Games. - 23/5/2011 10:16:33 AM   
Rob

quote:

ORIGINAL: jinks

quote:

I remember this one!! Got it for christmas one year, the underwater sections were great -very tough game though. When you got infected by a face-hugger it was basically a race through the level to find some machine to get the chest burster irradiated before you die.
Funnily enough, on the VHS release of the Alien Quadrilogy it actually had the original game trailer for Alien Ressurection - a third person shooter a little like a higher polygon version of Resident Evil in way. Ending with 'Coming soon on Playstation, Sega Saturn and Windows 95 CD-Rom'

Anyone enjoy Alien Trilogy on PS1?

First game i actually bought on the PS1. Doesnt follow the plot AT all of the original 3 films, but served as a decent enough blaster. The murmours of the dudes stuck to the walls were pretty eerie as was the music that played when you were in dark basement..ummm..places. The death cutscenes changed however you died in the game. Very cool...at the time.

God yeah. It terrified me and the cut scenes were stunning...for the time. I can even remember the cheat to get immortality; IGOTPINKACIDBOOTSON. I loved that game

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to jinks)
Post #: 28
RE: Top Ten Movie Based Games. - 23/5/2011 10:26:03 AM   
jinks

1g0tp1nk8cidb00ts0n

Great cheat that was

< Message edited by jinks -- 23/5/2011 10:27:00 AM >

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 29
RE: Top Ten Movie Based Games. - 24/5/2011 1:43:14 PM   
thepluginbaby

Never played Alien Trilogy... It was always on my wanted list, but being 12 meant money was an issue in buying games : (

People must have played Die Hard Trilogy though...

You probably couldn't get away with driving on the sidewalks of Harlem running over countless African Amerians in games now... But that is probably a good thing. 

"Must go faster..."

(in reply to jinks)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> Top Ten Movie Based Games. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI