Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Okay

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Okay Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Okay - 26/6/2011 3:00:23 AM   
OfficeSpace

quote:

ORIGINAL: echoroom

Just saw this in London. Thought it was okay.
A number of scenes I felt dragged. Acting was good
and stylishly directed but nothing really new to
offer. A 13 year old Bourne?
Methinks Mindy beat Hanna to the punch

Hanna's script was actually written before Kick-Ass the comic. Hanna is also about 16 years old.

(in reply to echoroom)
Post #: 31
RE: RE: - 26/6/2011 9:16:16 AM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: OfficeSpace

. What makes this film so good is its ability to become a hybrid of art house and action.

The problem is it doesn't really work on either level. On a personal level I found it rather a clumsy film trying to crowbar in both perspectives in a very unsubtle manner and failing with many shots (such as the high shot focusing onto the hub of the spinning roundabout) coming across as the work of a student film maker.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 26/6/2011 9:17:12 AM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to OfficeSpace)
Post #: 32
RE: RE: - 27/6/2011 8:45:19 PM   
OfficeSpace

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: OfficeSpace

. What makes this film so good is its ability to become a hybrid of art house and action.

The problem is it doesn't really work on either level. On a personal level I found it rather a clumsy film trying to crowbar in both perspectives in a very unsubtle manner and failing with many shots (such as the high shot focusing onto the hub of the spinning roundabout) coming across as the work of a student film maker.

I didn't have a problem with the editing. I thought how Wright melded both aspects was affective enough. It's definitely not a film that will garner a large group that will like it due to it. To each his own I suppose.

< Message edited by OfficeSpace -- 27/6/2011 8:46:37 PM >

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 33
RE: RE: - 28/6/2011 2:43:10 PM   
theoriginalcynic

Pretty average really, seen it all before.  The fight that Bana has (near the end) seems like it's come from a different film.  Worth a watch but not worth the full price on DVD / Blu-ray IMO.  Jessica Barden is exactly the same in Tamara Drewe (a much better film.)

(in reply to OfficeSpace)
Post #: 34
RE: RE: - 29/6/2011 5:53:26 AM   
nice8520

Yes, its completely different from all others.

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 35
Hanna - 11/7/2011 10:24:25 AM   
jkconnell

Very good - somewhere between Bourne and Leon. I still don't understand why they bothered flicking that switch at the beginning though, seems to me a lot of the trouble they went to could have been avoided.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 36
4 star???? - 28/8/2011 2:13:07 AM   
xxsteveo71xx

4 star rating i dont think so. Whilst it is true Hanna is wonderful to look at and Ronan puts in a great performance it didnt engaged me as much as Salt or the Bourne films. What did annoy a little too was Hanna warning her new best friend about the bad ppl but clearly didnt give a stuff, surley she should have finished them off in the container yard.... Rent it dont buy it

Post #: 37
A brilliant fairytale - 2/9/2011 10:54:49 PM   
aamoran10

this is probably the most purely entertaining film of the year with an amazing soundtrack by the chemical brothers but all the praise has to go to the beautifal ronan who is electric as Hanna i can easily see her winning an oscar in the next five years

Post #: 38
GOOD FILM BUT COMES WITH FLAWS - 11/9/2011 12:32:46 PM   
lewisb548

Well lets just say, Hanna isn't perfect, its the story of a young girl named Hanna who has been trained by her father in the alaskan snowy forests to become a super-assassin and he soon sends her off into the world on a mission, that mission isn't very well explained, because her Papa (a grouchy eric Bana) sends her off and doesn't look back as he begins to be chased by the likes of a miscast Cate Blanchette as the villain Marrissa, and he doesn't really need to worry about the apparent bad-guy Tom Hollander, who doesn't really do or say much at all, oh-well. He meets his demise from a metal pole.
Now the action in Hanna is great, a prime example being a very long take, where Eric Bana leaves an airport followed by Henchmen and he proceeds into an abandoned little train station and kills them off with knifes, guns and two hands, before walking off. The thing with Hanna is, its filmed very uniquely, not weird, but different, sometimes the takes are very short and sometimes very long.
Hanna wasn't too long a film but at times it felt very long due to the involvment of a brittish family, and Hanna bonds with the daughter. This was a bad move involving this family because they slow down and drag down the film severely, if they hadn't been there, then Hanna would have got 4 stars.
But the brittish family isn't all bad, the put upon Dad played by Jason Flemying appears for a few laughs, most notably when his wife asks "So Hanna what did your mother die off?"
"Three Bullets." replies Hanna. Well Saoirse Ronan is a brilliant actress and she grasps the vibe of being both a dangerous killer aswell as being a vulnerable teen while sustaining a dramatic fluency to keep us gripped even as we suffer under the boredom of the introduction of the brittish family.
Saoirse Ronan was brilliant as Hanna and she does everything from scene stealing to coming of age as she embraces her hormones and becomes a real kid. Actually that last part is bollocks Hanna is not a coming of age story but at times it masquearades as one. Cate Blancette may have been rather miscast but she is still quite a good villain, although she doesn't really do too much till the second half, she makes her mark on the film aswell as on the skulls of innocents who she shoots dead without remorse. Hanna may be a misunderstood teen but she does kill a lot of people yet we still feel pity for her and me myself, I was constantly rooting for the little kid as she was being chased quite often, that said the chase scenes were brilliant. Joe Wright deserves some credit for this, most definetely.
During the glacial middle half though I wanted to switch the dvd off.
But I didn't. The only thing about Hanna I didn't understand after the end credits was that she has lived in a forest for a long time and yet she can walk into an internet cafe and acess google? SAAAAAAAAAAAYWWWWWWHHHHHHAAAAAAT?
The chase scenes were very good and I thurougly enjoyed this film but after the end I was left wanting more, more thrills and more action aswell as a longer run time and more Eric Bana and More Hanna!
Well Hanna sure isn't normal, she kills people a lot of people and very well actually.
At times to me it felt like a fairy tale was being mocked, and Hanna mocks fairy tales with a nod and a wink, well I'm sorry to say this wasn't a fairy tale, at times Hanna was very dark indeed.
Joe Wright you've certainly pleased me, but not to the extent I had hoped. 8.5/10 Good watch, I recommend it.

Post #: 39
Hanna: Review - 25/9/2011 1:06:15 AM   
Edward9630

Hanna is an alright film. It had some good moments and action scenes were cool. The problems with the film is alot of scenes are just boring and not as entertaining as I wanted it to be. I would recommend this film to be a rental.

Post #: 40
Dull and boring - 1/10/2011 10:55:34 PM   
serious_syd

And dull...

Post #: 41
wow! - 4/10/2011 1:28:29 PM   
angel503

i loved this movie and would reccomend it to anyone i enjoyed the beggining and end scene as they were connetced but i would have liked more action from Ronan :P

Post #: 42
8 minute tracking shot, Mr Nathan ??? - 23/10/2011 12:00:36 PM   
5durham

just watched the film (wasn't that impressed, stylish but largely nonsensical). Have to take issue with Ian Nathan who claims to have seen an "eight minute tracking shot". I timed it at three minutes... That, accompanied by Mr Nathan's overall review, leads me to think we may have been watching different films. Two stars at best, for the soundtrack and the kinetic cinematography.

Post #: 43
RE: 8 minute tracking shot, Mr Nathan ??? - 27/12/2011 3:30:58 PM   
MuckyMuckMan

I watched this on Christmas day for the first time and oh boy does it not deserve 4 stars! What was Empire thinking? Its a 2 star film at best. Ronan was as good as ever but that was about it for the good points. A clunky storyline with some terrible film making made it my No.1 disappointment of the year.
Certain scenes really grated with me, such as the chase down the tunnels in the underground complex, in Morroco of all places! Why on earth were there loads of flashing lights? What was their purpose other than to annoy the watcher, and again more lighting issues in the adventure park just highlighted that the Director was trying to do something flash but really didn't know what he was doing. I also had a problem with the people Cate Blanchett hired to catch Hanna, I mean come on surely she could have hired better assassins/agents/mercenaries/bounty hunters than a few skin head throw backs from the 80's.

My Film Collection:
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/MuckyMuckMan
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
Thor: Dark World 3.5/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

(in reply to 5durham)
Post #: 44
Close Combat Fairytale - 7/3/2012 2:41:13 PM   
danielthompson99

I really enjoyed this. As soon as I twigged it's not Bourne, but a fairytale with guns, it became a fun and delicious romp.
It's nice to see the world through Hanna's innocence and nievity, and Eric Bana, as always, rocks.
My only gripe was Miss Blanchet's terrible American drawl. I'm sure there are plenty of American Wicked Witch wannabees waiting in the wings that could have stepped up. Maybe it's just me being over familiar with her works.
Besides that, this is a very good Once Upon A Time, in a land far far away....

Post #: 45
wham bam thank you joe - 11/4/2012 8:50:20 PM   
peredebeeste

this movie kicks ass! i can't wait to see this unbelievabaly talented young actress develope all her skills! she (toghether with chloe grace moretz) gives me hope for the future of movies!

Post #: 46
wham bam thank you joe - 11/4/2012 8:50:21 PM   
peredebeeste

this movie kicks ass! i can't wait to see this unbelievabaly talented young actress develope all her skills! she (toghether with chloe grace moretz) gives me hope for the future of movies!

Post #: 47
- 15/6/2012 1:01:37 PM   
silence1

“ A movie that gets the spine tingling. A must see. Adrenaline was pumping on overdrive as I watched this movie, Hanna the young assasin is definetly ready for the test her father puts her through and could probably go for round two. Able to use her hands or weapons Hanna can beat the socks off anyone even her father, but theres something different about her watch to find out :). i rate this movie a 4.

Post #: 48
- 15/6/2012 1:01:38 PM   
silence1

“ A movie that gets the spine tingling. A must see. Adrenaline was pumping on overdrive as I watched this movie, Hanna the young assasin is definetly ready for the test her father puts her through and could probably go for round two. Able to use her hands or weapons Hanna can beat the socks off anyone even her father, but theres something different about her watch to find out :). i rate this movie a 4.

Post #: 49
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Okay Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI