Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 23/10/2011 2:13:43 PM   
Dark Knight

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: DazDaMan

Can't quite see how Crystal Skull was rated a 12, though.

Yeah, I've always wondered this, especially when compared to the violence in the first three. Odd.

Wasn't it something to do with Mutt wielding a flick-knife? And possibly the bar-fight towards the start....

"I'm too tense to speak!" - Borstal

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 151
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 23/10/2011 2:18:38 PM   
Rhubarb

Also the first three predate the 12 rating, don't they?

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Dark Knight)
Post #: 152
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 23/10/2011 2:30:06 PM   
DazDaMan

The first three certainly do (Last Crusade, only just), but I just can't really see how Crystal Skull warranted a 12 rating.

Maybe it was the flick knife thing, but that's unbelievably tame compared to what went before!

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 153
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 23/10/2011 2:55:50 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

Whether you're a fan of it or not, to this day I still have no idea how THE RING remake was certified 15!? It deserved an 18 rating imho. It was visually disturbing and psychologically distressing and it still freaks me out today.

Was it really that bad?  I did watch it once years ago but don't remember it being any more disturbing or frightening than the original.  I think they both fit firmly in the 15 certificate.  I think horrors nowdays have to be really quite nasty and vicious in tone to get anything more than a 15 don't they?  Even liberal amounts of gore won't necessarily earn a film an 18 (look at the Final Destination films for example).

I'm not sure I agree with the comments about The Matrix being strong for a 15 either.  I know it was made back when BBFC were still pretty harsh on things like headbutts but while The Matrix does undeniably contain a lot of violence, it's all very comic book-ish and removed from reality.  I know it has quite a high body count in parts (the lobby shootout for instance) but since they're essentially just shooting computer programmes, it's all relatively free of consequence. They're not destroying lives exactly are they?

I'm saying this having not wathced The Matrix for years though, so I'm happy to be reminded of just how brutal it is, or corrected if I've ill-remembered the finer points of the film's concept!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 154
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 27/10/2011 6:37:02 PM   
Dr Lenera

Starship Troopers [though an 18 when on DVD/video]
Braveheart
Conan The Barbarian '82'  [god knows how that got a 15 or AA in the early 80s!]
Conan The Barbarian [shitty remake]
Scream 4
Final Destination 4

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 27/10/2011 6:38:51 PM >

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 155
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 28/10/2011 12:15:10 PM   
Swoz_MK

Sex & Drugs & Rock N' Roll had a higher "cunt"-count than most 18s that used that beautiful word.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 156
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 1/11/2011 12:01:35 AM   
adamthehorrorfan

I know that The Matrix was cut to remove 10 seconds of headbutts during the scenes where Morpheus and Agent Smith fight and Neo and Agent Smith at the subway station.

However, even though the film was cut to receive a 15 certificate instead of an 18 rating, it was re-released uncut on blu ray a few years back which I found out online and it still remained with a 15 certificate.

As soon as I buy a blu ray player, I need to buy The Matrix on blu ray and sell the UK dvd I have which is cut. Also, the special features seem to be a lot better on the blu ray release.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 157
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 1/11/2011 8:16:43 PM   
Dark Knight

quote:

ORIGINAL: DazDaMan

The first three certainly do (Last Crusade, only just), but I just can't really see how Crystal Skull warranted a 12 rating.

Maybe it was the flick knife thing, but that's unbelievably tame compared to what went before!

Agreed, but being as this was bugging me, I went on the BBFC website and got this....

"Furthermore, the character of Mutt, a 1950s-style Teddy Boy, carries with him a flick-knife which is focussed upon throughout the film. The BBFC's Guidelines at 'PG' do not permit the 'glamorisation of realistic or easily accessible weapons', and it was felt that Mutt's fixation with his knife was sufficiently focussed upon to be better placed at '12A.' "

But agreed, the melting German faces in Raiders always shocked me as being rather harsh in a PG - great, but harsh!

"I'm too tense to speak!" - Borstal

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 158
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 2/11/2011 10:47:36 AM   
TrendMeUp

After watching this last night, I can assure you that this thread is now over:

SPOILERS BELOW

The film features a child being shot with a bow and arrow, a naked woman who has had her arms and legs forcibly amputated screaming in horror (granted they're just stumps now, but still...), several hara-kiris, a couple of decapitations and around 250 onscreen deaths. I get why the film only got a 15 (although it did get an 18 in Ireland) since the violence is never totally explicit or graphic, but it is without a shadow of a doubt the strongest 15 film I've ever seen and maybe will ever see. It was also excellent, for the record.

EDIT: I just noticed that picture has the Irish certificate as a 15 also, but my copy has the 18 rating on the disc and no Irish rating on the cover. Not sure why it's different here.

< Message edited by TrendMeUp -- 2/11/2011 10:49:51 AM >

http://thatgumyoulikeblog.wordpress.com - a film blog

(in reply to Dark Knight)
Post #: 159
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 13/3/2013 9:03:13 PM   
jackcarter

no one mentioned Splice?

caught it for first time the other night and could barely watch it - was 100% sure it would be an 18 yet was shocked to discover it was 15

graphic sex with a monster, incest, rape, strong early Cronenberg style horror and its a 15?!

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 13/3/2013 9:13:12 PM >

(in reply to TrendMeUp)
Post #: 160
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 25/3/2013 1:19:58 PM   
Mr Gittes

Wasn't Schindler's List a 15? If so, then that, definitely.

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 161
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 25/3/2013 3:24:11 PM   
NCC1701A

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Gittes

Yes it does have a 15 rating.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 162
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 27/3/2013 12:26:39 AM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: NCC1701A

quote:

Surely SAVING PRIVATE RYAN tops SCHINDLERS LIST? Both equally horrific, but SPR is in colour?

Yes it does have a 15 rating.

Say what now?

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 163
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 27/3/2013 7:50:09 AM   
Mr Gittes

Oh yeah. Good point. Oof, especially that knife scene

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 164
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 28/3/2013 10:23:59 AM   
sharkboy

I've often wondered whether the BBFC takes movie themes into consideration when classifying (I'm sure the answer is "no", by the way), based largely around the 15 certificates granted to the aforementioned Spielberg war duo.  Horribly, realistically graphic in nature but both with over-arching themes that perhaps warranted the larger audience that a 15 would bring?

To answer the earlier Jaws question, the original cinema release received an A certificate which allowed admission to any kid over 5, but was not recommended for kids under 14.  The fact that it was only a recommendation allowed me to persuade my mum that we'd not be traumatised by the movie and she should let us go to see it.   Ah, the good old days...

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 165
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 28/3/2013 10:30:09 AM   
Mr Gittes

You lucky lucky bastard. Only time I've seen Jaws on the big screen was the recent re-release. But to see it at the cinema for the first time and as a kid...arrrrgghhh, I'm gonna KILL you

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 166
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 28/3/2013 1:06:38 PM   
sharkboy

I've been lucky enough to have seen it several times on the big screen - about a half dozen times on its original release (we lived beside a cinema and knew all the best tricks to sneak in without paying ), a memorable week's holiday in Butlins when it showed in the camp's cinema every night, and as a double bill with the sequel.  Then of course there was the glory of the remastered re-release last year

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 167
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 28/3/2013 3:19:23 PM   
Whistler

quote:

You lucky lucky bastard. Only time I've seen Jaws on the big screen was the recent re-release. But to see it at the cinema for the first time and as a kid...arrrrgghhh, I'm gonna KILL you

You lucky bastard. The only time I've seen Jaws on the big screen is never

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 168
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 30/3/2013 10:33:53 PM   
sandy666

Danny Boyle's Trance - just seen it. (to say more would give stuff away and I'm not complaining).

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 169
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 13/4/2013 10:10:21 AM   
adamthehorrorfan

I was at Fopp yesterday and by surprise I discovered that American History X is now a 15. I could not actually believe it.

I remember that film having some brutal scenes, like the infamous head stomp on the curb and the death scene in the end. Perhaps I should not spoil that ending for anyone who has not seen it. Also, there is the shower rape scene and don't know how that scene managed to get away with a 15? I remember the film containing loads of profanity but so do many 15 rated films like South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut and Clerks 2, so that is not really an issue. American History X would probably be a pretty strong 15 though.

Perhaps the BBFC are becoming a lot more relaxed these days and could expect to see a lot more 18 rated films become 15's. It has already happened with many other films, such as Terminator 1, Return of the Living Dead and The Shining. Let's wait and see what happens in the future?

< Message edited by adamthehorrorfan -- 13/4/2013 10:29:48 AM >

(in reply to sandy666)
Post #: 170
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 19/4/2013 12:30:45 AM   
Mr Gittes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

quote:

You lucky bastard. The only time I've seen Jaws on the big screen is never

Ah, well. You could watch Jaws on the screen of an airplane seat, and it would still be the best movie ever

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 171
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 30/4/2013 8:55:32 AM   
Cloud Cuckoo

This is an interesting thread. It's not a film, but the most extreme 15-rated thing I have seen is a series about Elizabeth I, starring Helen Mirren, on Channel 4.

This programme showed graphic images of people being hung, drawn and quartered. And when I say graphic I mean GRAPHIC, actual tortuous organ removal. I am squeamish and I don't like seeing people suffer. I felt physically sick for days. I am still annoyed; no one expects that from a 15. At least, I don't, and no one else should either. Ratings exist to protect sensitive people like me. I have never felt more failed. How the fuck does that get a 15? I still don't understand.

Re Temple of Doom, man that film screwed me up as a kid. Definitely should be a 15 imho.

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 172
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 20/4/2014 12:14:17 PM   
seven7776

Deep Rising was pretty strong in gore for a 15, with the hundreds of chewed-up skeletons and the guy with his brain exposed. The actual violence on show isn't that bad, but there is some quite graphic stuff there which surprised me for a 90's 15. South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut also had some surprisingly colorful language for its given rating.

On another note, the hardest 12 I've ever seen is Sucker Punch - the undercurrents of sexual violence throughout the whole film should have made it at least a 15. If I had children, most 15s would be more acceptable viewing for them over that.

(in reply to Cloud Cuckoo)
Post #: 173
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 27/4/2014 8:29:33 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: sandy666

Danny Boyle's Trance - just seen it. (to say more would give stuff away and I'm not complaining).

I just watched TRANCE this afternoon... totally agree...

Say what now?

(in reply to sandy666)
Post #: 174
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI