Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 20/5/2011 2:12:56 PM   
NCC1701A

Frozen the bit with the legs.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 121
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 16/10/2011 2:55:15 AM   
adamthehorrorfan

I always thought the strongest 15 rated films I ever saw was The Matrix, Terminator 2 and Scream 4.

I remember going to see Scream 4 at the cinema and being surprised how it reached a 15 rating. I thought the film still had it's brutal gore scenes in some places. However, I think it's because most of the deaths were a lot more brief and didn't focus too much on the character's pain.

Whereas with Scream 1, the death scenes were a lot slower and does focus a bit on the suffering of the characters hence why the first three films were rated 18.

Ironically, I thought that Terminator 2 was a lot more violent than Terminator 1 (despite the scene where Arnie rips out the guy's heart in the first film) but Terminator 1 was originally an 18 certificate (now re-released with a 15 rating) and Terminator 2 was passed with a 15. The main scenes in Terminator 2 that I thought made it a lot more violent was when the T-1000 transformed into one of John Connor's foster parents and stabbed the man through the back of the mouth with it's sword like arm and basically most of the scenes where T-1000 uses his arm as a stabbing weapon.

Terminator 1 had a lot more gunfight scenes and there was hardly any scenes with stabbing except briefly with the punks at the start and Arnie cutting his eyeball. Terminator 2 had a lot more stabbing scenes, which I think can be a lot more harmful if impressionable youngsters watch it.

I also thought that The Matrix had plenty of strong violence and certainly some of the strongest I've seen for a 15 rated film. Although, there was hardly much swearing or any sex, so I suppose that the 15 certificate suits the film.

I think that Starship Troopers should have kept it's original 15 rating when it came out on dvd and it shouldn't have been raised to an 18. I understand that the film does have a lot of gory violence but the nudity isn't really strong and the scene where Rico and Diz have their intimate moment was brief as well. The brain sucking scene might be the most unpleasant scene to watch in the film but if you combine it with the amount of profanity, there is hardly much except one use of strong language during the brain bug scene. If the strong language was more frequent then the 18 rating would be suitable but since the profanity isn't that bad and the main issue is the gory violence, then I think a 15 rating would be more suitable.

< Message edited by adamthehorrorfan -- 16/10/2011 3:13:19 AM >

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 122
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 16/10/2011 9:59:54 AM   
NCC1701A

quote:

ORIGINAL: adamthehorrorfan

Ironically, I thought that Terminator 2 was a lot more violent than Terminator 1 (despite the scene where Arnie rips out the guy's heart in the first film) but Terminator 1 was originally an 18 certificate (now re-released with a 15 rating) and Terminator 2 was passed with a 15. The main scenes in Terminator 2 that I thought made it a lot more violent was when the T-1000 transformed into one of John Connor's foster parents and stabbed the man through the back of the mouth with it's sword like arm and basically most of the scenes where T-1000 uses his arm as a stabbing weapon.

I remember reading somewhere that Terminator 2 was cut to get a 15 certificate.

[leaves]

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to adamthehorrorfan)
Post #: 123
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 16/10/2011 11:09:27 AM   
Whistler

I just realised I completely misread this thread, hence the reason I just deleted my post.  Woops...

Anyway, I'd definitely say 30 Days Of Night, even though it was bumped up to an 18 on DVD (and rightly so).  Probably Kick-Ass and Scream 4 aswell, everything that's already been said

< Message edited by Whistler -- 16/10/2011 5:18:24 PM >

(in reply to jollypiratedonuts)
Post #: 124
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 16/10/2011 12:40:55 PM   
adamthehorrorfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: NCC1701A

I remember reading somewhere that Terminator 2 was cut to get a 15 certificate.

I think Terminator 2 was later passed uncut by the BBFC around 2001 or 2002 and it still remained with a 15 certificate.

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 125
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 16/10/2011 4:24:38 PM   
AngryDude92

I found Pan's Labyrinth a pretty tuff 15, not just because of the bottle scene, there were several others.

There was once a god who walked the earth, his name was Warren Oates

Post #: 126
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 16/10/2011 8:40:02 PM   
Spaldron

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2011) should've been a 12. It was way too tame for a 15.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to AngryDude92)
Post #: 127
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 21/10/2011 7:40:18 PM   
Shifty Bench

Ghostbusters is now a 12A.

EDIT: Shouldn't have used the word 'odd', as it makes it look like I haven't a clue what I'm talking about despite the fact I have spoke about the BBFC and their classification choices throughout this thread.

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 21/10/2011 8:49:53 PM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 128
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 21/10/2011 7:56:11 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

Ghostbusters is now a 12A. Odd. 

From the BBFC

GHOSTBUSTERS is a comedy about a group of research scientists who go into business together hunting down ghosts and poltergeists in New York City. The film was originally classified 'PG' uncut for cinema release in 1984 and 'PG' for video release in 1985. However, the film has now been classified '12A' for moderate sex references.

The BBFC's Guidelines at 'PG' state there may be 'Mild sex references and innuendo only'. The film contains a number of sex references, both verbal and visual, that exceed this allowance. Most notable is a scene in which it is implied that a ghost is performing oral sex on a man. As the man's trousers and zip are unfastened, the camera moves to his face as he sinks back on the bed with his eyes crossed in pleasure. Later, a woman who has been possessed by a demon rolls about on a bed with a man and tells him: "I want you inside me". Although these references were permitted at 'PG' in the 1980s, when there was no classification available between 'PG' and '15', they are now more appropriately classified at '12A' where the Guidelines state 'Sexual activity may be briefly and discreetly portrayed. Sex references should not go beyond what is suitable for young teenagers'.

The film also contains some mild horror as ghosts threaten the city, with scary faces looming at the camera and parts of the city being laid waste by supernatural forces. These scenes and images would have been containable at 'PG' where the Guidelines state 'Frightening sequences should not be prolonged or intense. Fantasy settings may be a mitigating factor'.

Its reasoning is that there was no 12A classification back in '84. Its getting a re-release so it must have been reclassified. Also according to the BBFC website it seems to have gained 5 minutes. This is strange as I have't heard of any cut scenes being reinserted.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 129
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 21/10/2011 8:01:50 PM   
Shifty Bench

Yeah, I read that. That's how I knew it was now a 12A 

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 130
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 21/10/2011 8:08:33 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

Ah ok, just wondering why you said it was odd though as its quite clear why they reclassified it.

Do you think they'll give Temple of Doom a 12A now?

Post #: 131
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 21/10/2011 8:13:46 PM   
jackcarter

they should give Temple of Doom an 18

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 132
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 21/10/2011 8:19:39 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

Ah ok, just wondering why you said it was odd though as its quite clear why they reclassified it.

If Temple of Doom is ever resubmitted by Paramount for reclassification, then they might do.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 133
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 21/10/2011 8:20:12 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

They probably should, although doesn't Senor Spielbergo now prefer the cut version anyway?

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 134
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 21/10/2011 8:24:11 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

quote:

They probably should, although doesn't Senor Spielbergo now prefer the cut version anyway?

I don't think I've actually ever seen the uncut version. Its basically just extended shots of the heart being ripped out the guy right?

EDIT: Spielberg hates the film full stop anyway's.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 135
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 21/10/2011 8:31:54 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

I don't think I've actually ever seen the uncut version. Its basically just extended shots of the heart being ripped out the guy right?

And more of the dude going up in flames, I think-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A7AFgE3yfw&feature=related

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 136
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 21/10/2011 8:36:56 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

quote:

And more of the dude going up in flames, I think-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A7AFgE3yfw&feature=related

Holy shit no wonder they cut it. If they put it back in that'd probably be a 15.

Post #: 137
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 21/10/2011 8:38:19 PM   
jobloffski

quote:

Lines like 'at least two people in there already, it might get a little crowded' (when Venkman is asked if he wants Zool's/Dana's body)and the rather obscene one from Spengler (covered in white squelchy stuff) " I feel like the floor of a taxi cab" must be among the naughtiest lines ever sneaked into a kid's film, and the blow job moment must have given severe "I hope people don't complain about us not commenting on this, which we forgot about by the time we saw the ending and decided on the rating' hebbie jeebies to the BBFC after accidentally passing ET as a U when it contains some uses of 'shit' which technically should've automatically made it a PG.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 21/10/2011 8:40:04 PM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

Post #: 138
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 21/10/2011 8:45:06 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

quote:

Lines like 'at least two people in there already, it might get a little crowded' (when Venkman is asked if he wants Zool's/Dana's body)and the rather obscene one from Spengler (covered in white squelchy stuff) " I feel like the floor of a taxi cab" must be among the naughtiest lines ever sneaked into a kid's film, and the blow job moment must have given severe "I hope people don't complain about us not commenting on this, which we forgot about by the time we saw the ending and decided on the rating' hebbie jeebies to the BBFC after accidentally passing ET as a U when it contains some uses of 'shit' which technically should've automatically made it a PG.

Indeed.  I've always said the blowjob scene was a bit much for a PG.

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 21/10/2011 8:50:21 PM >

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 139
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 21/10/2011 8:54:17 PM   
jcthefirst

Blowjob scene?

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

Post #: 140
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 21/10/2011 8:56:42 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

Blowjob scene?

Ray dreams he is getting a blowjob from a ghost. 2 Minutes into this clip-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf-GMMOasRg

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 21/10/2011 8:58:45 PM >

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 141
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 21/10/2011 8:58:50 PM   
MonsterCat

Yeah, Ghostbusters is actually pretty lewd for a PG. I believe it's a 12A for the upcoming cinema re-release.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 21/10/2011 8:59:30 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 142
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 22/10/2011 7:13:08 PM   
DazDaMan

Re: JAWS

Jaws was NEVER a 15 on release. It was rated PG according to just about every poster I've seen. I don't know what the ratings system was like in the UK in 1975, but it may have been rated slightly different. I don't think it was, though. However, I would agree that there are certain sequences where it's rather strong for a PG - the estuary attack for a start. Although the blatantly visible tits and bush seem to go unnoticed!

Jaws 2 - again, a PG. It's less gruesome than Jaws, despite a higher body count.

Jaws 3 - could well have been a 15 rating in the UK. The opening kill of Shelby Overman, then the discovery of his body, plus the later death of Philip Fitzroyce, would qualify, as they are pretty graphic. I think they'd be tame for a 15 nowadays, though.

Jaws: The Revenge - could well have been a 15 on VHS, but is now a 12.

In DVD terms, they are ALL rated 12, with the exception of Jaws 2. As has been mentioned, there's material in the extras of Jaws which render it a 12.

< Message edited by DazDaMan -- 22/10/2011 7:14:12 PM >

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 143
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 22/10/2011 7:15:34 PM   
DazDaMan

On a related note, regarding the Indiana Jones films. I believe Raiders was always a PG. Temple was rated PG-13 in the US (this, along with Gremlins, was the first time that particular rating had been used). Last Crusade was a PG even back then.

Can't quite see how Crystal Skull was rated a 12, though.

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 144
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 22/10/2011 11:46:27 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

Blowjob scene?

Ray dreams he is getting a blowjob from a ghost. 2 Minutes into this clip-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf-GMMOasRg

Ah yes. Fair point.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

Post #: 145
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 23/10/2011 12:51:12 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: DazDaMan

Can't quite see how Crystal Skull was rated a 12, though.

Yeah, I've always wondered this, especially when compared to the violence in the first three. Odd.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 146
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 23/10/2011 4:45:41 AM   
tommypocket

quote:

I also thought that The Matrix had plenty of strong violence and certainly some of the strongest I've seen for a 15 rated film. Although, there was hardly much swearing or any sex, so I suppose that the 15 certificate suits the film.

I haven't checked but I seem to remember reading that at one point The Matrix was an 18 and cut down to a 15... and the only difference was the removal of a headbutt in one of the fight scenes...

I don't think this is the only film to have had this particular violent act highlighted.

In conclusion: the BBFC don't like headbutts.

"Sing it again for my pleasure."

Twitter drivel - @tommypocket

Post #: 147
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 23/10/2011 5:19:51 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: tommypocket

quote:

I haven't checked but I seem to remember reading that at one point The Matrix was an 18 and cut down to a 15... and the only difference was the removal of a headbutt in one of the fight scenes...

I don't think this is the only film to have had this particular violent act highlighted.

In conclusion: the BBFC don't like headbutts.

Its got something to do with football hooliganism (all a bit 80's don't you think?) so they don't look kindly on headbutts. They edited Obi Wan's headbutt out of AOTC although strangely didn't edit Aragorn headbutting an Orc in LOTR:TTT the same year.

(in reply to tommypocket)
Post #: 148
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 23/10/2011 11:06:49 AM   
NCC1701A

quote:

ORIGINAL: DazDaMan

Re: JAWS

Jaws was NEVER a 15 on release. It was rated PG according to just about every poster I've seen. I don't know what the ratings system was like in the UK in 1975, but it may have been rated slightly different. I don't think it was, though. However, I would agree that there are certain sequences where it's rather strong for a PG - the estuary attack for a start. Although the blatantly visible tits and bush seem to go unnoticed!

Jaws 2 - again, a PG. It's less gruesome than Jaws, despite a higher body count.

Jaws 3 - could well have been a 15 rating in the UK. The opening kill of Shelby Overman, then the discovery of his body, plus the later death of Philip Fitzroyce, would qualify, as they are pretty graphic. I think they'd be tame for a 15 nowadays, though.

Jaws: The Revenge - could well have been a 15 on VHS, but is now a 12.

In DVD terms, they are ALL rated 12, with the exception of Jaws 2. As has been mentioned, there's material in the extras of Jaws which render it a 12.

Jaws the Revenge was a 15 on VHS and so was Jaws 3 but there was no 12 rating on VHS in the 80s.

[leaves]

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 149
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 23/10/2011 12:15:20 PM   
losthighway

Whether you're a fan of it or not, to this day I still have no idea how THE RING remake was certified 15!? It deserved an 18 rating imho. It was visually disturbing and psychologically distressing and it still freaks me out today.

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI