Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 2/5/2011 1:15:18 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Starship Troopers was a 15 when it opened in cinemas. How?

First film I thought of when I read the thread title.

Don't forget that many of these films have some violent footage trimmed for theatrical release and then reinstated later for their video/dvd releases.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 31
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 2/5/2011 1:26:07 PM   
NCC1701A

They did that with Ransom the Mel Gibson film it was a 15 then when it came out on VHS it was an 18.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 32
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 2/5/2011 4:24:51 PM   
jollypiratedonuts

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

quote:

Don't forget that many of these films have some violent footage trimmed for theatrical release and then reinstated later for their video/dvd releases.

Starship Troopers was uncut at the cinema and on video/DVD. The BBFC probably just decided that 15 was too low and upgraded it. I think it probably would be a 15 now if it were to be re-submitted.

Post #: 33
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 2/5/2011 4:44:31 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

quote:

No, they didn't. Sorry

This was back in the 90s when the BBFC were more worried about kids at home watching things they shouldn't so they upped the certificate of 'borderline' 15s. They figured it's easier to stop a kid trying to get into the cinema underage than it is stopping them watching at home. They felt that an 18 would make adults more wary of the film's content. Starship Troopers, Ransom and Con Air all fell foul of this. Plus, all those films were distributed by the same company, so it is possible that they requested the change too.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 34
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 2/5/2011 5:02:01 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

quote:

No, they didn't. Sorry

This was back in the 90s when the BBFC were more worried about kids at home watching things they shouldn't so they upped the certificate of 'borderline' 15s. They figured it's easier to stop a kid trying to get into the cinema underage than it is stopping them watching at home. They felt that an 18 would make adults more wary of the film's content. Starship Troopers, Ransom and Con Air all fell foul of this. Plus, all those films were distributed by the same company, so it is possible that they requested the change too.

I was going to mention Con Air but you beat me to it!  I remember watching that at the flicks back in the day and being as unexpectadly delighted at the gore as you'd expect a 15 year old to be!

I agree with the previous mentions for Starship Troopers - that's one spectacularly gruesome film in places.  Kick Ass, I dunno.... there are some points that I agree are could seem a bit strong for a 15 but then the overall tone is so tongue-in-cheek and high-school-ish that a 15 certificate makes more sense than an 18.  I think the violence is actually fairly tame compared to the comic.

Saving Private Ryan is always one that springs to mind with this kind of topic - very graphic although givent he war setting, I suppose it's educational, innit.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 35
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 2/5/2011 5:07:32 PM   
MonsterCat

I think Starship Troopers got away with a 15 because there was only one use of strong language in the entire film.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 36
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 2/5/2011 5:12:31 PM   
Shifty Bench

It's a 15 for the violence. A dude gets his brains sucked out in fairly graphic detal, that's not exactly 12 material 

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 37
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 2/5/2011 5:28:02 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

It's a 15 for the violence. A dude gets his brains sucked out in fairly graphic detal, that's not exactly 12 material 

What I meant was that the lack of strong language was probably a mitigating factor in the film being classified with the more appropiate 18 certificate. Pedant.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 38
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 2/5/2011 5:35:22 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

What I meant was that the lack of strong language was probably a mitigating factor in the film being classified with the more appropiate 18 certificate. Pedant.

I am a pendant, sorry. And I doubt the language was a factor at all. Like I said, the brain scene alone probably upped the certificate on video. It's pretty gross. I haven't seen the film in a while, it may have been something else but that scene sticks in my mind.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 39
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 2/5/2011 5:37:57 PM   
MonsterCat

You're not missing much. In fact, it's actually a bit crap and embarrassing now.

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 40
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 2/5/2011 5:39:19 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

You're not missing much. In fact, it's actually a bit crap and embarrassing now.

What!?! Say that again to my face!!!

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 41
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 2/5/2011 5:41:18 PM   
Rumbaabaa

The Last King of Scotland. For the horrific double-whammy at the end. Most 18s are tamer.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 42
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 2/5/2011 7:21:28 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No, they didn't. Sorry

I stand corrected. Although I do remember reading that it happened with Lethal Weapon 2, although the BBFC website cannot back me up specifically about this. From that I simply assumed it was common practice throughout the years. Happens a lot now, of course.

I would agree with Kick-Ass being a fairly strong 15, can't really think of anything else.

If I may be permitted a tiny digression I would volunteer Jaws as being the strongest PG I've ever seen. The DVD's a 12, of course, but only because of the swearing on the special-features.

Astronomic Tune Boy

Post #: 43
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 2/5/2011 7:34:49 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

Although I do remember reading that it happened with Lethal Weapon 2, although the BBFC website cannot back me up specifically about this.

Lethal Weapon 2 was cut to be a 15 in the cinema but was made an 18 on video anyway. It is now fully uncut and a 15. Very odd

quote:

From that I simply assumed it was common practice throughout the years. Happens a lot now, of course.

Yeah it actually started happening more when dvd came along and the BBFC introduced an act where diffferent films can be various certificates on different formats. Before, it was sort of frowned upon.

quote:

If I may be permitted a tiny digression I would volunteer Jaws as being the strongest PG I've ever seen.

I agree, I think the melty exploding heads in Raiders of the Lost Ark were quite strong for a PG at the time too. By the way, sorry if I seemed like a bit of a dick with my response earlier, there are just some things I know about (I wrote to the BBFC when I was at college about it for an essay I was writing )

Post #: 44
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 2/5/2011 7:41:47 PM   
Spectre

quote:

quote:

Although I do remember reading that it happened with Lethal Weapon 2, although the BBFC website cannot back me up specifically about this.

Lethal Weapon 2 was cut to be a 15 in the cinema but was made an 18 on video anyway. It is now fully uncut and a 15. Very odd

quote:

From that I simply assumed it was common practice throughout the years. Happens a lot now, of course.

Yeah it actually started happening more when dvd came along and the BBFC introduced an act where diffferent films can be various certificates on different formats. Before, it was sort of frowned upon.

quote:

If I may be permitted a tiny digression I would volunteer Jaws as being the strongest PG I've ever seen.

I agree, I think the melty exploding heads in Raiders of the Lost Ark were quite strong for a PG at the time too. By the way, sorry if I seemed like a bit of a dick with my response earlier, there are just some things I know about (I wrote to the BBFC when I was at college about it for an essay I was writing )

I watched Raiders again earlier today, and agree with you there. There is also a bit during the scene in Marion's bar, where someone gets shot in the head, and the bleeding is quite graphic for a PG.

Post #: 45
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 2/5/2011 7:45:01 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spectre
I watched Raiders again earlier today, and agree with you there. There is also a bit during the scene in Marion's bar, where someone gets shot in the head, and the bleeding is quite graphic for a PG.

Yeah, that bit is quite strong. The 80s were crazy I think there's a graphic head shot in Last Crusade too. 

(in reply to Spectre)
Post #: 46
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 2/5/2011 7:57:04 PM   
Spectre

quote:

quote:

Yeah, that bit is quite strong. The 80s were crazy I think there's a graphic head shot in Last Crusade too. 

I will look out for it! Temple of Doom had to be cut to get the PG rating. I know that it is available uncut in the US, but I can't remember the nature of what had to be chopped out.

EDIT: Thinking about it, Temple of Doom was pretty important in the advent of the PG-13 rating in the USA.

< Message edited by Spectre -- 2/5/2011 7:59:19 PM >

Post #: 47
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 2/5/2011 7:59:16 PM   
Shifty Bench

The main cut in Temple of Doom was a dude getting his heart removed while he was still alive.

The bit I refer to in Crusade is when the dude in the tank gets shot.

(in reply to Spectre)
Post #: 48
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 2/5/2011 8:00:25 PM   
Spectre

Heart removal! How tame!

Post #: 49
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 2/5/2011 9:43:40 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

By the way, sorry if I seemed like a bit of a dick with my response earlier, there are just some things I know about (I wrote to the BBFC when I was at college about it for an essay I was writing )

Don't worry, mate, it was very un-dick like.

Astronomic Tune Boy

Post #: 50
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 2/5/2011 9:53:31 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

I will look out for it! Temple of Doom had to be cut to get the PG rating. I know that it is available uncut in the US, but I can't remember the nature of what had to be chopped out.

Yeah, mainly the heart ripping scene and the subsequent immolation. I remember seeing a making-of years and years ago (not the one on the DVD) and Spielberg was talking about how the scene was originally even more graphic, involving an animatronic 'slave' that was going to writhe and squirm as it burned up, and how they decided not to use it for fear of going too far. And originally they even filmed Short Round getting whipped along with Indy but excised that also. Wisely, I feel.

The current uncut US version also features some extra stuff during the fight between Indy and the huge Thuggee (Pat Roach), a few body blows and so forth. I wonder if the impending blu-ray of the film will be passed uncut over here and if it'll get a 12? Personally I think even a 12 would be pushing it a little.

But Jaws, man, come on. There are scenes in that film that freak me out more than some 18 rated horrors I've seen.

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to Spectre)
Post #: 51
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 2/5/2011 10:52:23 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: Biggus

quote:

30 Days of Night was quite vicious and that as a 15 in the cinema. They raised it to an 18 on dvd though. 

That was the first film that came to my mind. Full-on graphic beheading on-screen amongst other things. Couldn't believe it was a 15.

It's a sure contender for the most-awesome-but-totally-disgusting-and-gruesome-at-the-same-time-thing-I've-ever-seen award.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 52
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 2/5/2011 11:01:49 PM   
Spectre

quote:

quote:

Yeah, mainly the heart ripping scene and the subsequent immolation. I remember seeing a making-of years and years ago (not the one on the DVD) and Spielberg was talking about how the scene was originally even more graphic, involving an animatronic 'slave' that was going to writhe and squirm as it burned up, and how they decided not to use it for fear of going too far. And originally they even filmed Short Round getting whipped along with Indy but excised that also. Wisely, I feel.

The current uncut US version also features some extra stuff during the fight between Indy and the huge Thuggee (Pat Roach), a few body blows and so forth. I wonder if the impending blu-ray of the film will be passed uncut over here and if it'll get a 12? Personally I think even a 12 would be pushing it a little.

But Jaws, man, come on. There are scenes in that film that freak me out more than some 18 rated horrors I've seen.

It would need to be resubmitted to the BBFC in its uncut form first, and Spielberg is unlikely to do that. I'm pretty sure I remember him saying that he actually preferred the cut film because the original version was too dark.

Post #: 53
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 2/5/2011 11:10:10 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

By the way, sorry if I seemed like a bit of a dick with my response earlier, there are just some things I know about (I wrote to the BBFC when I was at college about it for an essay I was writing )

Don't worry, mate, it was very un-dick like.

Cool, I worry sometimes I'm pissing people off with things I type

Post #: 54
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 2/5/2011 11:17:46 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

Cool, I worry sometimes I'm pissing people off with things I type

You are. C**t.

Post #: 55
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 2/5/2011 11:45:19 PM   
Shifty Bench

Did you just call me a colt? Really, Spaldron, I don't know what a gun manufacturer, a horse or  a city in St. Francis County, Arkansas have got to do with this......

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 56
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 2/5/2011 11:50:40 PM   
Spaldron

Cult. You run the religious cult of animal.

Post #: 57
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 2/5/2011 11:52:58 PM   
Shifty Bench

That's just a facade, Beaker is the true leader 

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 58
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 3/5/2011 1:14:15 PM   
great_badir

quote:

I am convinced that in the early-mid 80s, when I started renting vids (through my dad) Jaws was a 15. BBFC website doesn't agree with that and subsequent ex-rental vids that I've seen also don't back that up, but I just can't shake the image of seeing a big-box Jaws with a 15 on it.

These days, as the BBFC are far more sensible than in the bad old Ferman years, they look to the tone of the film as one of the indicators for the rating so something dark, serious and realistic that includes violence is more likely to be an 18, whilst something relatively light in tone or quite obviously not real (like Starship Troopers) gets an easier time of it.

On the flip side, there are loads of 18s about which are very mild. Obviously this is generally older films and more to do with distributors not bothering with a re-submission, but there must be some newer releases slapped with an 18 that, in hindsight, probably don't warrant it. Also, there are still some 18s that get changed to 15 when they make it to DVD, mainly because they lose a lot of their impact on the small screen.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 59
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 3/5/2011 2:58:15 PM   
NCC1701A

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

I am convinced that in the early-mid 80s, when I started renting vids (through my dad) Jaws was a 15. BBFC website doesn't agree with that and subsequent ex-rental vids that I've seen also don't back that up, but I just can't shake the image of seeing a big-box Jaws with a 15 on it.

I think that was Jaws The Revenge or Jaws 3 both were an 15 on video.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI