Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Strongest 15 Certificate Film?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 30/4/2011 5:25:41 PM   
jollypiratedonuts

Out of curiosity what does everyone here believe to be the strongest film ever to be rated 15 by the BBFC?
Post #: 1
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 30/4/2011 5:35:13 PM   
Shifty Bench

What do you think it could be? 

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to jollypiratedonuts)
Post #: 2
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 30/4/2011 5:37:40 PM   
jollypiratedonuts

I was waiting to see what others said, although I think it's probably either Land Of The Dead or Kick-Ass.

The Final Destination also has a couple of scenes that I'm surprised made it into a 15 too.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 3
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 30/4/2011 5:44:17 PM   
Shifty Bench

I would have said Land of the Daed or Kick Ass too, actually. Maybe the House of Wax remake too, I remember a couple of the kills being a bit strong. 

Post #: 4
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 30/4/2011 6:35:03 PM   
foodage

I watched Kick Ass yesterday, and I whilst watching, I did think it must be one of the strongest 15s.

Post #: 5
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 30/4/2011 6:42:39 PM   
Shifty Bench

30 Days of Night was quite vicious and that as a 15 in the cinema. They raised it to an 18 on dvd though. 

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 6
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 30/4/2011 6:47:20 PM   
Ethanial

I wouldn't say Kick-Ass, was pretty tame for the most part, 30 Days Of Night however, yeah, gory.

Fresh update 2010
Original update 2005.

Post #: 7
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 30/4/2011 6:48:48 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ethanial

I wouldn't say Kick-Ass, was pretty tame for the most part,

But it's the part that wasn't tame that pushes it over.

(in reply to Ethanial)
Post #: 8
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 30/4/2011 6:50:14 PM   
MonsterCat

Starship Troopers was a 15 when it opened in cinemas. How?

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 9
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 30/4/2011 7:26:57 PM   
vader100

It seems to be mainly sex and nudity that gains a 18 rating nowadays. Bloody violence and extreme swearing, pah, the kids see it every day in the school playground.

You can't take the sky from me

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 10
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 30/4/2011 8:44:29 PM   
horribleives

One of the sad signs of getting older is I never even notice what certificate a film gets anymore.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to vader100)
Post #: 11
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 30/4/2011 10:34:03 PM   
jollypiratedonuts

quote:

ORIGINAL: vader100

It seems to be mainly sex and nudity that gains a 18 rating nowadays. Bloody violence and extreme swearing, pah, the kids see it every day in the school playground.

Try telling that to the Saw films

Also, going in the opposite direction of my OP, I'd say the mildest 15 rated film is probably either Couples Retreat or Frost/Nixon (the latter of which is rated PG in Ireland!)

(in reply to vader100)
Post #: 12
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 30/4/2011 10:47:54 PM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

ORIGINAL: jollypiratedonuts

quote:

Try telling that to the Saw films

Also, going in the opposite direction of my OP, I'd say the mildest 15 rated film is probably either Couples Retreat or Frost/Nixon (the latter of which is rated PG in Ireland!)

Both of those were 12s I believe.

If it was up to me, 18 would be the default and then you only get it reduced for being nice.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

Post #: 13
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 1/5/2011 12:32:40 AM   
Taizy

Pans Labyrinth.  I'm squeamish at the best of times but one of the opening scenes to a film has a shot of a man having his face bottled nearly made me just go and ask for my money back and spend it on jelly beans instead.  I used to say I couldn't watch 18 cert films in case of goriness but after this (and The Town, great film but would be my number 2 for 'strongest' 15) I might have to stick with nice, gentle 'moderate violence, adult themes and sustained peril' 12A's

Some people call it stalking but it's just selective walking...

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 14
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 1/5/2011 12:56:32 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

quote:

Both of those were 12s I believe.

No, they were both 15s. Couples Retreat for sex references and Frost/Nixon for language

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 15
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 1/5/2011 12:57:29 AM   
Spaldron

Dog Soldiers

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Taizy)
Post #: 16
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 1/5/2011 1:12:56 AM   
jollypiratedonuts

quote:

ORIGINAL: Taizy

Pans Labyrinth.  I'm squeamish at the best of times but one of the opening scenes to a film has a shot of a man having his face bottled nearly made me just go and ask for my money back and spend it on jelly beans instead.  I used to say I couldn't watch 18 cert films in case of goriness but after this (and The Town, great film but would be my number 2 for 'strongest' 15) I might have to stick with nice, gentle 'moderate violence, adult themes and sustained peril' 12A's

I've seen much stronger violence in 15's than the scene in Pan's Labyrinth you described. The violent scenes were fairly strong although they were few and far between.

I didn't think The Town was particularly strong for a 15 either. If you're on about the quantity of strong language in the film, the f-word can be used as many times as you like in a 15. It's the c-word that the BBFC have a problem with, especially when used aggressively. I think the recent spate of Hollywood comedies with very large appeal containing 100+ f-words (Knocked Up, Funny People, etc) have helped the BBFC loosen their language guidelines at 15.

The sexual content in Love And Other Drugs certainly pushes the limits of what's acceptable at 15. There's several sex scenes (including one in the film's opening scene!), most of which show a fair amount of detail, including sexualised female nudity. I would have passed the film at 15, but I'm kinda surprised the BBFC did.

(in reply to Taizy)
Post #: 17
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 1/5/2011 1:37:20 AM   
vader100

quote:

Blimey, man up.

(in reply to Taizy)
Post #: 18
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 1/5/2011 1:39:04 AM   
vader100

quote:

quote:

I've seen much stronger violence in 15's than the scene in Pan's Labyrinth you described. The violent scenes were fairly strong although they were few and far between.

I didn't think The Town was particularly strong for a 15 either. If you're on about the quantity of strong language in the film, the f-word can be used as many times as you like in a 15. It's the c-word that the BBFC have a problem with, especially when used aggressively. I think the recent spate of Hollywood comedies with very large appeal containing 100+ f-words (Knocked Up, Funny People, etc) have helped the BBFC loosen their language guidelines at 15.

The sexual content in Love And Other Drugs certainly pushes the limits of what's acceptable at 15. There's several sex scenes (including one in the film's opening scene!), most of which show a fair amount of detail, including sexualised female nudity. I would have passed the film at 15, but I'm kinda surprised the BBFC did.

So a 12 year old girl saying using the "c word" to taunt a group of drug dealers doesn't come into that description

Post #: 19
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 1/5/2011 1:41:47 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

It's the c-word that the BBFC have a problem with, especially when used aggressively.

So a 12 year old girl saying using the "c word" to taunt a group of drug dealers doesn't come into that description

No, she said it playfully not angrily.

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 1/5/2011 1:42:31 AM >

(in reply to vader100)
Post #: 20
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 1/5/2011 1:53:02 AM   
horribleives

Can everyone stop referring to the word 'cunt' as 'the c-word' please? It's four letters, everyone says it, get over it. You cunts.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 21
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 1/5/2011 1:59:20 AM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

First film I thought of when I read the thread title.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 22
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 1/5/2011 1:24:35 PM   
jollypiratedonuts

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

Can everyone stop referring to the word 'cunt' as 'the c-word' please? It's four letters, everyone says it, get over it. You cunts.

I only put 'the c-word' because I didn't know if 'cunt' would be censored on these boards.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

First film I thought of when I read the thread title.

I thought Starship Troopers was fine at 15, it was pretty much all fantasy violence in a very unrealistic context.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 23
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 1/5/2011 4:33:25 PM   
AngryDude92

The Double life of Veronique was pretty explicit for a 15 if I recall.
Glengarry Glenross in terms of harsh language, given that the whole film is just men saying fuck you to each other with some cunt bombs at the end.
Come and See is a pretty tuff 15, though it dosn't have anything that's really bad on show, it does have a real sense of unpleasant aurthentisity about it.

There was once a god who walked the earth, his name was Warren Oates

Post #: 24
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 1/5/2011 7:09:20 PM   
darkarius

I remember Robocop being a 15 at one point. Whether that was when it was for rental I can't remember. But that is pretty graphic. Even more so for its time.

Nostalgia isnt what it used to be.

(in reply to AngryDude92)
Post #: 25
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 1/5/2011 7:20:13 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: darkarius

I remember Robocop being a 15 at one point. Whether that was when it was for rental I can't remember. But that is pretty graphic. Even more so for its time.

The first Robocop has never been a 15. The third film and the tv mini-series are though

(in reply to darkarius)
Post #: 26
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 1/5/2011 7:32:06 PM   
Shifty Bench

Oh, and if we are basing it on language, then Boys On The Side (1995) is a 15 but it's usage of the word cunt is in the double digits.

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 1/5/2011 7:37:47 PM >

Post #: 27
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 1/5/2011 9:38:48 PM   
Biggus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

30 Days of Night was quite vicious and that as a 15 in the cinema. They raised it to an 18 on dvd though. 

That was the first film that came to my mind. Full-on graphic beheading on-screen amongst other things. Couldn't believe it was a 15.

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

Post #: 28
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 1/5/2011 10:42:22 PM   
jollypiratedonuts

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

Oh, and if we are basing it on language, then Boys On The Side (1995) is a 15 but it's usage of the word cunt is in the double digits.

That sounds like it would probably be an 18 now. How many uses are there?

Post #: 29
RE: The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? - 1/5/2011 10:58:08 PM   
Shifty Bench

There's a lot, plus it is spelled out a couple of times. I doubt they'd make it an 18 today as it is used in conversation between two women about female genatalia. One woman is ashamed to say it but her friend persaudes her and the shy woman ends up singing the word. It's not agressive in the least so that is why it was allowed. Plus, this was the 90s, when they were still cutting the word 'fuck' from films so I think this one is fine.

I can't find a clip of the scene on youtube, oddly.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> The Strongest 15 Certificate Film? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI