Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: does what it should

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: does what it should Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: does what it should - 14/12/2011 9:01:52 AM   
Vitamin F

What a complete load of wank!
Honestly, I'm shocked at the good reviews this has got here because it is one of the most amateurish modern horrors I've seen in a while. I mean, you're not meant to be bored watching something like this, but there you go...zzzzzz...

Basically a tacky rehash of Poltergeist made to bargain basement standards, it felt like a film student's first effort at horror having been given a bit of a budget to recycle old cliches. Totally derivative, and I really didn't see the point to any of it.

How the fuck this got a broad cinema release is beyond me...

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 31
RE: does what it should - 4/2/2012 5:15:49 PM   
MuckyMuckMan

Just watched this the other night and totally agree with cruisecontroller's comments. The first hour or so is spine chilling and creepy as hell with loads of jump out of your skin moments but as soon as the poltergeist wannabe medium and her cronies appear it slides dramatically into b movie crapness. Why oh why half way through the film did they take this route?, it was effective to start with so why change the mood and style of the film. The demons that are revealed in the 2nd half of the film are pathetic, they can't even walk through walls or doors and are shut out my the mother and daughter.
The worst is yet to come though in the form of the main demon protagonist who looks like a cross between Darth Maul and the Saw puppet, terribly unoriginal considering near the start of the film you see a very scary silhouette.

I'll score the film for each half of the film and you will see how dramatically bad it gets.

1st half = 4/5, 2nd half = 1/5

< Message edited by MuckyMuckMan -- 4/2/2012 5:18:27 PM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 32
Insidious review - 26/2/2012 7:01:57 PM   
Beastwoop11

With the 'saw' franchise at its (depressing and three dimensional) end, a horror sized hole in Hollywood has been created. With insidious hoping to fill it. Insidious follows the story of a family who are looking to prevent evil spirits from trapping their comatose child in a realm called 'the further'. With quite a unique concept does insidious deliver? and above all, scare?

The effective technique to 'show as little of the villain as possible' in a horror film applies to Insidious all too much. This isn't a problem for the 1st half of the film, as the majority of the first 45 minutes doesn't include the main bad guy only his 'ghost henchmen'. When the main villain is eventually reveled to us the shocking effect of his first appearance quickly wears of, as he is showed time and time again. If they had just held back his screen time he would have been much more scary and shocking. Unfortunately this villain who was supposed to be the main centerpiece of the scares turns out the be the main centerpiece of the laughs.Saying that, I thought that some scenes where absolutely terrifying, showing sparks of genius at times.Especially at one point, which has to be one of the most unsettling scenes in horror film history ( in my opinion) I won' spoil it, all i'll say is 'tiptoe through the tulips'! The scares are partly down to tempo of the film, it takes a while to get started but once it does the scares hit hard in some clever sequences, this creates a really tense atmosphere that had me in hysterics. However i couldn't help but feel let down after the film as the terrific scares in this film are ruined by the ridiculous and unrealistic plot. As the plot gets more and more silly throughout the film, new characters are added, which just increases my annoyance! 3 characters enter the film who provide no scares or suspense whatsoever, they just drag the film down and pull the viewers away from the suspense by providing awful comedic value.

This film provided terrifyi

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 33
Insidious - 24/7/2012 10:59:51 PM   
norgizfox

Insidious's realistic first half and silly second half work seperate, but together they formed an awkard atmosphere, only to be saved by a detailed story and inventive scares.

Post #: 34
Campier than I remembered... - 12/9/2013 11:50:36 PM   
TheMightyBlackout

I still think Barbara Hershey is inherently terrifying in herself, and I still think that the director's input on the blackboard is cack-handed. But, it's better than I remembered, and worth the re-watch.

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 35
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: does what it should Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI