Silent Hill Downpour

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> Silent Hill Downpour Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Silent Hill Downpour - 28/4/2011 9:27:58 PM   
From_Hell

So a new Silent Hill game has been announced - Silent Hill Downpour. I live in hope that this is a return to form for the Silent Hill series after the disappointing Homecoming (and many other rubbish sequels).

So, to fans of Silent Hill, what would you like to see from a new instalment? Is there room for a new game after the likes of Dead Space have been there and done 'scary' better?

Downpour is previewed on the OXM website here: http://www.oxm.co.uk/27898/features/how-to-make-downpour-the-ultimate-silent-hill/

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

Post #: 1
RE: Silent Hill Downpour - 28/4/2011 9:50:57 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: From_Hell
So, to fans of Silent Hill, what would you like to see from a new instalment? Is there room for a new game after the likes of Dead Space have been there and done 'scary' better?

Dead Space has nothing on Silent Hill 2 and 3.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 2
RE: Silent Hill Downpour - 28/4/2011 10:19:40 PM   
vad3r

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

Dead Space has nothing on Silent Hill 2 and 3.

Yes it does. It's much better.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 3
RE: Silent Hill Downpour - 28/4/2011 10:28:39 PM   
Deviation

No, it isn't.

It's also not really good.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 4
RE: Silent Hill Downpour - 28/4/2011 11:09:11 PM   
rich

Silent Hill hasnt been worth playing since part 3 either. Another dead horse being flogged. 

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 5
RE: Silent Hill Downpour - 28/4/2011 11:44:33 PM   
borstal

quote:

No, it isn't.

Its one of the greatest games Ive ever played and so is the sequel.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 6
RE: Silent Hill Downpour - 29/4/2011 12:05:52 AM   
vad3r

quote:

No, it isn't.

Why not? Why is Silent Hill 2 and 3 better? What is wrong with Dead Space?

Dead Space and Dead Space 2 are the perfect horror video games.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 7
RE: Silent Hill Downpour - 29/4/2011 12:35:32 AM   
Olaf

Dead Space is great but Silent Hill 2 is a masterpiece. DS is better than any of the rest of the Silent Hill games though yeah (I haven't played Dead Space 2). I imagine this new one will be rubbish anyway, they've all been largely unplayable since about 2004.

Though if we are talking horror games, Eternal Darkness on the Gamecube is quality.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 8
RE: Silent Hill Downpour - 29/4/2011 1:14:50 AM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

quote:

No, it isn't.

There was nothing close to scary in Dead Space, for starters. It was Resi 4 without all the greatness of Resi 4. And the horror was composed completely of bus scares. I'll give it some of the bosses though. Give me The Suffering over it any day of the week.

SH 2 and 3 on the other hand are pure horror; creepy, disturbing and atmospheric.

They haven't been good for a few good years though, so I'm skeptical of this.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 29/4/2011 1:36:15 AM >

quote:

quote:

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 9
RE: Silent Hill Downpour - 29/4/2011 11:05:47 AM   
From_Hell

Balls. Sure Dead Space owed a debt to the Resi series, and granted, Silent Hill 2 was very atmospheric, but there has been nothing in the Silent Hill series to match the exhileration, the breathtaking set pieces and the immense feeling of dread that ran through the Dead Space games.

I'm sceptical of a new Silent Hill game - Jees, you couldn't even invert the Y-axis on Homecoming - but I remain hopeful that Downpour will be a return to form.

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 10
RE: Silent Hill Downpour - 29/4/2011 3:35:46 PM   
Invader_Ace

Seeing as we're doing this; As a fan of Dead Space I'd like to say, come on.  It's not really scary.  Only in that you are constantly on for the next Jump Scare.  It's a game I really enjoyed, but it's essentially horror-themed-whack-a-mole.

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 11
RE: Silent Hill Downpour - 29/4/2011 3:59:52 PM   
Olaf

quote:

Balls. Sure Dead Space owed a debt to the Resi series, and granted, Silent Hill 2 was very atmospheric, but there has been nothing in the Silent Hill series to match the exhileration, the breathtaking set pieces and the immense feeling of dread that ran through the Dead Space games.

I don't think the Silent Hill games are aiming for that tbf - I like both so it's not a value judgement, but SH was always more about creating a sustained mood than set pieces (making Silent Hill 4 a more action-oriented game is where the series lost its way for me). I'd agree with the notion that DS is more of a horror-themed action game instead of straight horror, though that's not necessarily a bad thing (that said, I would say that F.E.A.R. was a scarier integration of the two genres and Left 4 Dead/L4D2 was more fun).

As good as Resi 4 is, I can't help but feel that it killed off horror games in the Silent Hill mould for the most part. The closest a game has come to properly unsettling me in ages was probably Limbo or Pathologic (I know it came out about five years ago, I only played it recently).

< Message edited by Olaf -- 29/4/2011 4:00:42 PM >

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 12
RE: Silent Hill Downpour - 29/4/2011 4:18:39 PM   
Deviation

Wouldn't Homecoming be the one to stumble when it comes to action? SH4 still retained some of its core gameplay.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 13
RE: Silent Hill Downpour - 29/4/2011 4:39:22 PM   
directorscut

No game where you are armed to the teeth with weaponary can be scary. Dead Space looses at tension about half way through and DS2 is void of tension. The Resident Evil games become progressively less scary the more weapons are introduced, the more movement your character gets. What's scarier; mowing down a hundred zombies with a machine gun or running into one zombie in a tight, old creaky corridor, realising you have one bullett left, the zombie is getting closer and you can only move like a WW1 tank?

Try Fatal Frame series you girls where you are armed with only a camera.

The scariest game I've played recently is The Path which has no action, and not really any overt horror, but it creeps up on you like David Lynch trying to burrow his way into your brain through your ear.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 14
RE: Silent Hill Downpour - 29/4/2011 5:40:53 PM   
Deviation

quote:

Try Fatal Frame series you girls where you are armed with only a camera.

And you have to beat the ghosts by allowing them to get closer...closer...closer...closer...closer....

quote:

quote:

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 15
RE: Silent Hill Downpour - 29/4/2011 10:39:31 PM   
Chojin

Just like to add that for pure scares/atmosphere SH2/3, Fatal Frame (Project Zero) and The Suffering 1/2 beat Dead Space. Sorry, they just do.

However on the other hand I have no hope whatsoever that the new SH game will be a return to form

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 16
RE: Silent Hill Downpour - 1/5/2011 12:15:21 AM   
juanvasquez

Even though the last couple of attempts have been poor, I'm still gonna give it a go. I've been a fan of the series since the first so I'm looking forward to it.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 17
RE: Silent Hill Downpour - 22/10/2012 2:05:04 PM   
From_Hell

Has anyone played Silent Hill Downpour? Worth a look? I love me a bit of Silent Hill, it's currently on Amazon at a fairly cheap price, and it has some fairly decent user reviews so I'm wondering whether to take the plunge....

"What are you gonna do?"

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 18
RE: Silent Hill Downpour - 24/10/2012 2:41:55 PM   
jinks

quote:

Has anyone played Silent Hill Downpour? Worth a look? I love me a bit of Silent Hill, it's currently on Amazon at a fairly cheap price, and it has some fairly decent user reviews so I'm wondering whether to take the plunge....

Had it and played it. It's pretty good, combats pretty shite though with enemies landing cheap hits on you mid swing. Its somewhat open world, but many of the streets do look quite similar however once you;re in SH itself so its reasonably easy to get lost.

Side quests though, are pretty decent and do break up the linearity somewhat. Worth getting if its a cheap enough price, but i still slightly preferred Homecoming.

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 19
RE: Silent Hill Downpour - 25/10/2012 1:16:25 PM   
From_Hell

quote:

ORIGINAL: jinks

quote:

Had it and played it. It's pretty good, combats pretty shite though with enemies landing cheap hits on you mid swing. Its somewhat open world, but many of the streets do look quite similar however once you;re in SH itself so its reasonably easy to get lost.

Side quests though, are pretty decent and do break up the linearity somewhat. Worth getting if its a cheap enough price, but i still slightly preferred Homecoming.

Thanks mate. Seeing as it's quite cheap on Amazon, I think I'll pick it up...

"What are you gonna do?"

(in reply to jinks)
Post #: 20
RE: Silent Hill Downpour - 3/11/2012 10:53:37 AM   
Drone

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

quote:

No, it isn't.

Haha

Dead Space is Doom 3 with a few bells and whistles, only the "originality" the fans drool over comes from having to cut off limbs.

Stating Dead Space "does it better" in comparison to Silent Hill is like comparing Justin Bieber to Judas Priest.

Dead Space was a boring shoot 'em up, just like the zillions of other boring shoot 'em ups, only with nasty looking monsters and hacking off bodyparts as it's justfication for 'standing out from the rest.'

Silent Hill 2 is better because it's wonderfully bizarre, unsettling, and scary.

Everything Dead Space isn't, in a nutshell.

p.s. SIlent Hill downpour sucks balls, because like everything else in gaming, it's becoming bastardized by the no brainer generation, incapable of playing a game without needing to fight something every two minutes. It's crap - and I've learned my lesson, just like I did the second I picked up Resi 5, giving them the benefit of the doubt after run 'n' gun Resi 4 and realising it's another franchise ruined by the CoD generation.

< Message edited by Drone -- 3/11/2012 10:54:15 AM >

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 21
RE: Silent Hill Downpour - 3/11/2012 4:53:16 PM   
rich

Why even argue about it? It's like saying Jacob's Ladder is comparible to Event Horizon. In a nutshell, there's no point.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Drone)
Post #: 22
RE: Silent Hill Downpour - 1/2/2014 4:26:18 PM   
From_Hell

Happy Birthday to the original Silent Hill. 15 years old yesterday...

"What are you gonna do?"

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 23
RE: Silent Hill Downpour - 1/2/2014 7:56:01 PM   
juanvasquez

Did it come out a bit later in the UK? I seem to recall getting it shortly after release, but it was autumn. There's been lots of classic game milestone anniversaries over the last couple of years, particularly from that awesome PS1 era.

Getting old!

I still love Silent Hill, and still scares the living shit out of me. I have it on my PS3 and still play it now and again. Should really get the HD collection. Happy birthday Silent Hill, you mind fucking bastard.

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 24
RE: Silent Hill Downpour - 1/2/2014 10:36:17 PM   
From_Hell

Ah yeah, the North America release date was 15 years ago. It was released in the UK on 1st August 1999.

It was a fantastic game, I was utterly hooked. I only recently played parts 2 and 3 in the HD collection, and I thoroughly enjoyed them too

"What are you gonna do?"

Post #: 25
RE: Silent Hill Downpour - 2/2/2014 2:50:48 PM   
juanvasquez

SH2 is my favourite. I liked 3 but never finished it as I got stuck. Just gone down hill ever since. Homecoming was alright, but all rather bland, and I'm yet to play Downpour. Not holding out for anything good but I'd still like to play it.

I've not played any of the handheld versions either, but ive not hearer anything good about them. One thing that surprised me though, the last film. In terms of quality, it was pretty average, but as a film that sticks to its source material, it was brilliant. The most faithful game adaptation I've seen.

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 26
RE: Silent Hill Downpour - 3/2/2014 8:19:00 AM   
From_Hell

I haven't played Downpour either. I've had it for about a year, but after playing the HD collection last summer, I'd had enough of Silent Hill for the time. I'm hoping that I might be able to eventually play through the first game on my PS4 through PSN, but I'll not hold my breath.

I enjoyed the first Silent Hill movie - and it looks superb on Blu Ray - but I've not seen Revelation yet...

"What are you gonna do?"

Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> Silent Hill Downpour Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI