Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Sick, you get me.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Sick, you get me. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sick, you get me. - 27/5/2011 10:58:36 PM   
roogieman

**SPOLERS**

Just saw the film and thought it was great. I think the characters were unlikable in the beginning, but they (especially Moses) go through a real transition throughout the film, and that the whole thing about the gang being mindless thugs is a bit of a poor point to make. They are flawed protagonists, but they are so because they are a product of the environment. What Joe Cornish does to counter point their flaws is show an actual 'Daily Mail' style threat, the aliens are the blacker than black, outsider, mindless killing machines- where the gang become the heroic saviours, and show a real human side.

All in all a great and enjoyable film, shouldn't be promoted as a comedy even though it delivers on laughs and thrills.
Post #: 91
RE: Sick, you get me. - 30/5/2011 3:15:32 PM   
sonicpicturesuk

Please don't post to advertise.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 30/5/2011 3:19:58 PM >

(in reply to roogieman)
Post #: 92
RE: Pretty poor - 1/6/2011 2:41:45 PM   
Cruisecontroller

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheHazman

The creatures looked like evil muppets

My thoughts exactly.

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5
Post #: 93
RE: Pretty poor - 1/6/2011 2:42:24 PM   
Cruisecontroller

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheHazman

The creatures looked like evil muppets

My thoughts exactly.

< Message edited by Cruisecontroller -- 1/6/2011 2:43:13 PM >

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5
Post #: 94
RE: Sick, you get me. - 3/6/2011 2:20:08 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: roogieman

and that the whole thing about the gang being mindless thugs is a bit of a poor point to make. They are flawed protagonists, but they are so because they are a product of the environment.

I couldn''t disgaree more. The gang are mindless thugs, and shouldn't be described any other way. And as for them being a product of their environment - please!!!
I know plenty of people brought up in bad surroundings, whether it's poverty stricken estates or an horrendous homelife, or child abuse - but none of those chose to mug ladies, and threaten them with violence. Right is right and wrong is wrong, don't make excuses. Even 3/4 of the way through the film they were still talking to her like she was a piece of shit, and then all sat bemused when she said she hated the area. They learned absolutely nothing from their ordeal.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to roogieman)
Post #: 95
RE: Sick, you get me. - 3/6/2011 2:41:14 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: roogieman

and that the whole thing about the gang being mindless thugs is a bit of a poor point to make. They are flawed protagonists, but they are so because they are a product of the environment.

I couldn''t disgaree more. The gang are mindless thugs, and shouldn't be described any other way. And as for them being a product of their environment - please!!!
I know plenty of people brought up in bad surroundings, whether it's poverty stricken estates or an horrendous homelife, or child abuse - but none of those chose to mug ladies, and threaten them with violence. Right is right and wrong is wrong, don't make excuses. Even 3/4 of the way through the film they were still talking to her like she was a piece of shit, and then all sat bemused when she said she hated the area. They learned absolutely nothing from their ordeal.

Aye, while I thought the film was alright, the whole depiction of the hoodies left a bad taste in the mouth for me. And Cornish's press comments about his own experiences with teenage thugs ('they were just as scared as me, bless them') sounded like typical middle-class guilt masquerading as empathy. I agree that many of them are a product of their environment and (lack of) upbringing and it is deeply depressing to see young people so devoid of hope or ambition. But that doesn't change the  fact that when you see these gangs everyday it's quite clear that most of them simply are animals and any sympathy goes right out the window. 

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 96
Shite at best - 2/10/2011 8:17:42 PM   
Mr E

This film had a nice idea but it was poorly executed. The opening sequence shows a group of youths mugging a young lady, which immediately makes it very hard for an audience to get behind these characters. They threaten the woman with a knife, they are all hooded/masked and look very threatening. These are young lads who know what they are doing.

Had they been portrayed as a bunch of naughty youngsters who made a pathetic attempt to mug someone (because they're poor and need the money) but then fail because deep down they're just no good at it and scared - it would have worked much better. I'm sure you could have got some comedy out of a rubbish mugging too. But instead they are portrayed as genuinely threatening.

To make matters worse one of the aliens suddenly crash lands and instead of the alien appearing to be a threat to the humans the alien actually runs away and these young thugs chase this poor thing into a shed and brutally kill it. I'm on the side of the aliens.

The film desperately tries hard to show that these boys aren't all that bad later on in the film, that they are in fact a product of their environment/upbringing, but by that point its just too late, corny and cliched. To top it off this just isn't very funny or even particularly scary. Very disappointing.

2/5

< Message edited by Mr E -- 2/10/2011 8:25:28 PM >
Post #: 97
RE: Why all the hate? - 5/10/2011 9:23:43 AM   
kargon

Thought this wasn't gonna be good, but it wasn't too bad. Joe Cornish can certainly put a film together , he knows what he's doing. Theres quite a bit that lets it down, but also quite a bit that makes it entertaining. I found whilst watching it that i was thinking, this is good, then the next minute thinking, that wasnt good, then changing my mind again. I didnt like any of the kid characters, they mug that bird, so they're cunts, end off. No character archs, you dont think diffrent of them at the end. The acting across the board was fine, good use of men in furry suits too, probably what let it down the most was the dialogue, but overall not to bad, better than alot of mainstream American shit ther's been.

Three and a half stars.

9whilst not bad enough to warrant 3 stars it aint good enough to warrant 4

"I SAY WHAT I LIKE AND I LIKE WHAT I BLOODY WELL SAY".

"WHAT THE FUCK DOES ANYTHING HAVE TO DO WITH VIETNAM?"

"YOU BETTER BE PUTTING AWAY THAT BLADE, OR YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT, EVEN WHILE IT'S HAPPENING"

Post #: 98
RE: Why all the hate? - 5/10/2011 11:15:49 AM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Duckers

Similarly, the nurse doesn't forgive them for the mugging incident either. The situation they are forced into merely enables her to appreciate their otherwise hidden better natures qualities that otherwise she wouldn't see or take the effort to see. It's a lesson in empathy and humanity: something entirely lacking from the discussion boards I've seen.

This is an extremely well-made point. I don't really agree with the rest of your post - people take against the characters because they're realistic and torn from real life, so they can equate them with people they've encountered and disliked. I don't think it has anything to do with them being black.

It's a bloody fantastic film, though. The best I've seen at the cinema this year. The fact that Joe Cornish decided to make it after being mugged by a street gang seems to have eluded many posters.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."
Post #: 99
RE: Why all the hate? - 5/10/2011 1:46:52 PM   
Duckers

Hi Rick_7

Maybe not so racist on the Empire boards, but you should check some of the other boards (particularly imdb) where it's just basic race hate. Stuff along the lines of "...is it racist to hate black mugger pieces of ****?" and "arrogant blacks who talk in patois" etc.

And, yes, I agree that the central "hoodies" are difficult to like - and that people are having hostile reactions to this film because they have some grudge against real life "hoodies" - but I suppose my point is more that people having that reaction are missing the point of the film. They're not supposed to instantly love these characters. They're being shown for what they are and their behaviour basically creates the conflicts in the movie. It irks me that people are so narrow-minded and pumped up with hatred for hoodies (largely fuelled by the media and responses to the recent riots) that they can't read this film for what it's trying to do.

It's as if they assume the makers of "Attack The Block" are so clueless that they picked a mugger as central protagonist because young audiences think muggers are cuddly, cool and lots of fun...

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 100
RE: Shite at best - 5/10/2011 1:58:50 PM   
Duckers

Mr E, you're missing the point.

The hooded gang are supposed to be threatening. They are intended to play on our fears of street gangs. Their mugging of the nurse, and their killing of the alien (it could have been any "outsider") is natural to them because it's how they believe they can earn respect from their community. Peddling drugs for the local crime lord is the natural progression for Moses (the Biblical allusion is also significant). They are deliberately portrayed as ignorant. We are not supposed to initially like them, and in fact we should not. Notably, members of their own community despise them. But, like it or not, they are products of their environment (for which you can read class, upbringing, race, whatever).

Their redemption only comes when they begin to understand that actions have consequences and that there are other more positive ways of earning respect, and that some people's respect (the nurse, their peer group and neighbours) are more important than others' (the gangster). Whether you end up liking them or not, they are in a different place at the end of the movie than they were at the start.

Significantly, the so-called "blacker than black" aliens are also misunderstood...if you consider the reason for their attack.

(in reply to Mr E)
Post #: 101
RE: Why all the hate? - 5/10/2011 2:57:35 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Duckers

Hi Rick_7

Hello.

quote:

Maybe not so racist on the Empire boards, but you should check some of the other boards (particularly imdb) where it's just basic race hate. Stuff along the lines of "...is it racist to hate black mugger pieces of ****?" and "arrogant blacks who talk in patois" etc.

I'm glad I don't spend any time on those boards.

quote:

And, yes, I agree that the central "hoodies" are difficult to like - and that people are having hostile reactions to this film because they have some grudge against real life "hoodies" - but I suppose my point is more that people having that reaction are missing the point of the film. They're not supposed to instantly love these characters. They're being shown for what they are and their behaviour basically creates the conflicts in the movie. It irks me that people are so narrow-minded and pumped up with hatred for hoodies (largely fuelled by the media and responses to the recent riots) that they can't read this film for what it's trying to do.

Yeah, I agree, that was the point I thought you made very well before.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to Duckers)
Post #: 102
Nothing to do with racism - 6/10/2011 5:40:18 PM   
gquinn

I didn't dislike the film because the main protagonists are muggers, or because they're balck for that matter, I disliked it because it was advertised as a horror-comedy and it wasn't funny or scary. It was just a bit shit

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 103
RE: Nothing to do with racism - 6/10/2011 5:45:48 PM   
Herr Schnitzel

I thought it was a bit like a Dr Who episode with more gore and swearing (and less Who). I really wanted to like this, but thought it was just mediocre. Had it been less violent it would have made a decent kids film with a positive message.

< Message edited by Herr Schnitzel -- 6/10/2011 5:47:21 PM >

(in reply to gquinn)
Post #: 104
RE: Nothing to do with racism - 6/10/2011 5:51:17 PM   
Spaldron

When reviews begin to start with "I'm not racist but...." or similar, its time to leave thread.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Herr Schnitzel)
Post #: 105
RE: Nothing to do with racism - 6/2/2012 10:19:59 AM   
Drew_231

Saw this for the first time on Saturday night, as it never got a cinema release here

Really enjoyed it, great work from Jo Cornish, especially considering it was his debut. Solid preformances, especially from the actor who played Moses

My gf didnt really enjoy it though, as she said it wasnt really funny. and while its not really meant to be, the stupid tagline on the box is something like 'this years shaun of the dead' or whatever, which is (as Empires review states) just such a lazy comparison 

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 106
RE: Nothing to do with racism - 6/2/2012 11:42:57 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Saw this last year,and Im still unsure rether I liked it or not.
Seemed like it wanted to be several things at once.

(in reply to Drew_231)
Post #: 107
RE: Nothing to do with racism - 25/6/2012 11:11:10 AM   
Vitamin F

Caught this on Ch4 last night - don't get the love. Very poor acting from most of the gang (especially that one with the 'lapland hat', tried to deliver cool quips and failed every time, so laboured and hammy) and was extremely predictable.

I didn't have a problem at all with the heroes being a gang of mugger kids (I thought before watching that this is what would have put me off liking this), it was just a very average scifi thriller. I may not be the desired target audience as I'm an old fart, but I was expecting something more than just stuff I've seen before transplanted to a more 'local' setting. Thought the dialogue would have been snappier, the glue to hold this together and mask the mediocrity, but no.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 108
RE: Nothing to do with racism - 26/6/2012 7:50:04 PM   
Ref

Recorded this from C4 and watched last night. Did not enjoy this film one iota. Bad writing, bad acting, awful characters - no redeemable qualities whatsoever.

1/5

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to Vitamin F)
Post #: 109
Loved it. - 2/9/2012 8:26:23 PM   
carmilla_barker

Just Lovefilmed this, and thought it was brilliant. It was a great atmosphere, and the speech was something I recognised from the kids I teach- they really do talk like this! I thought the music was good enough to permeate and set the mood, without being overbearing, and the leading performance gave a real sense of a brooding teenager living in a rough area. I've met plenty of them, and he did the job admirably. I thought the light touches were good- they didn't feel out of place. On the contrary, I found them to be exactly right. When in a difficult situation, people are often a bit daft to make themselves feel better.

Really enjoyed this!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 110
Hmmm - 10/11/2012 12:59:50 AM   
Carfax

Love everything Joe (& Adam) do and I REALLY, REALLY wanted to love this film but let's be honest it's a perfect example of a 'first film'. Badly acted (granted it was largely unknowns) the scripts was, well all over the place & I found ALL the characters (whether goodies or eventually goodies) just unlikable & a bit boring. If it was made 6 months after Carpenter's The Thing or even just after Shaun Of The Dead by an unknown director (again I'm a Adam & Joe fan) we'd accuse a smallish film company of jumping on the band wagon with a weak story & cast. Joe can do better than this twaddle.

Post #: 111
Drivel - 17/11/2012 6:07:01 PM   
danielthompson99

Hardly worth my effort to chastise.

Post #: 112
More Drivel - 17/11/2012 6:07:02 PM   
danielthompson99

especially with a double post

< Message edited by danielthompson99 -- 17/11/2012 6:08:09 PM >

Post #: 113
RE: Very good! - 22/2/2013 11:50:50 AM   
Phubbs

Attack the Block (UK, 2011)

My first impressions for this British made sci-fi were not good, not good at all. We are introduced to a small gang of South London youths in your typical modern day gang get up...hoodies, baseball caps, tracksuits, gold chains around their necks, riding bikes and the obligatory Staffy pet dog. This foul mouthed bunch of yobs go about robbing a female passer by at knife point clearly relishing every moment of it. Its at this point I immediately hated what I saw.

Maybe its because I live in South London, I know London very well and have experienced gangs like this in reality. Maybe its the fact that South London is exactly like this with massive problems of gang culture, knife attacks, muggings and (some) youths generally acting as portrayed in this film. The gang consists of teens, mainly black with one white boy (who typically thinks/pretends he's black). Unless you know South London you will probably need a translator to understand what they are saying in this dreadful gangland/street culture way of speech that has evolved in London. The dialog is chock full of 'bruv' 'cous' 'blood' 'innit' 'for real' 'ghosting' 'ducking' 'breezing' 'fam' etc...they sound like morons and I hear it often in everyday life.

Yeah I know I sound like an old fart but this is what we have to put up with in South London, this film is very accurate, so much so its annoying. So basically I found myself hating the main characters in this film right from the word go, this gang are the 'heroes' as it were and we're suppose to root for them? yeah right. Twas only when the invaders popped up I got into this, well once this gang started to get some extraterrestrial 'retribution'.

The actual sci-fi element of the film is pretty good I must admit. The whole things runs along the same kind of lines as 'Aliens' (and tonnes of others) with the standard escape plot and the standard 'characters getting killed off one by one' idea. Nothing original but it is very effective setting it within the confines of a tower block.

It doesn't seem totally thought out though as why would these aliens only stick to this one block? there is a reason of course but surely they would spread out and explore. Also you'd think with all the noise, violence, bodies and general racket going off people might notice and call the police, surely there would be 999 calls going off every minute. Also no one ever thinks that maybe the discovery of alien life might be kinda important, if you wanna make money then maybe tell someone instead of smoking weed.

I must also give huge kudos to the design for the aliens as they look truly terrific. At first you're thinking they are gonna look rubbery and cheap (especially after the first encounter), but with a combination of CGI and men in suits the look is really quite eerie and original at the same time, amazingly!. Think big pitch black coloured gorillas with a set of bioluminescent jaws (teeth) that glow blue, sounds odd I know but they are highly effective and really lift the film. You wouldn't think this was a cheapish simple Brit flick horror, if it wasn't for the aliens this wouldn't be half as good.

So yes I enjoyed the alien aspect of the film and it doesn't hold back on blood n gore which is good. The main problem for me was the gang of scrotes that are fighting the aliens and meant to be bad guys turned good in a coming of age kind of way. This is in no way a feel good 'Goonies/Stand By Me' type group, far from it. Bottom line is they are all thoroughly unlikeable and I REALLY wanted all of them to get eaten by the creatures so badly. To be honest I'm sure there would be many South Londoners that would agree, if only there were some real monsters cleaning up the streets by eating all the hooligans.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 114
Poor - 22/2/2013 12:56:02 PM   
biscuitman

One definitely to avoid. Really looked forward to a new, modern take on 'Alien on Earth' genre. This was rubbish. Badly acted, all the characters were very unlikable (how this is possible when, at the start, there are so many of them, I do not know) and the female lead is dumber than a girl in 1980's slasher pic.She just goes along with whoever is in charge of the pack. Absolute bollocks. You can get away with poor FX in a debut film but you have to back it up with either a good story, great characters, or just 3 or 4 stand out moments then move onto your next flick. I'm afraid this is trash. One word to easily sum up this movie - AVOID. Or maybes TRASH.

Post #: 115
Attack the cult movie - 15/7/2014 12:58:24 PM   
RJNeb2

Playing like a version of Assault on SW9, this has a great premise of nasty aliens from space being no match for some South London council estate hoodies. And while there are some fun action beats and a pleasing desire to heap on the gore, somehow it doesn’t make the most of its potential. Even at a spry 88 minutes, it still feels like there’s a bit of padding.

Post #: 116
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Sick, you get me. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI