Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Exceptional

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Exceptional Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Exceptional - 13/5/2011 9:33:40 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I saw it on the Xtreme screen at our new Vue (it's MASSIVE, you can't sit nearer than half way up as you can't then see all the screen) and it was even better. Every time the aliens appeared and growled everything vibrated Ticket price is £11 which I loathe to pay having a Cineworld card but got £5 off using me nectar points, bonus!!

No one should every apologise for being a film nerd.

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 61
RE: Really Good - 13/5/2011 11:31:23 PM   
homersimpson_esq

I first encountered Adam (Buxton) and Joe (Cornish) watching the cunningly titled The Adam and Joe Show back in the late 90s. A light-hearted show, the highlights for me were the recreations of classic and recent films using stuffed toys. This cinematic passion has clearly been long-gestating because Joe Cornish has now directed his first feature film with Attack the Block (2011).

The premise is beautifully simple. Aliens invade but, instead of hitting major (and often American) cities, they land in London. The rough end. As one of the taglines reads, “outer space meets inner city”. A group of youths, out for a spot of night-time mugging, are interrupted when an alien crashes into the Volvo across the street. after attacking the leader, Moses, the alien bounds off, followed closely by the wise-cracking, no-nonsense kids. Of course, this particular alien is only one, and a lot smaller than the ones that will follow…

Firstly, it’s great to see a genre film set in the UK. That being said, the setting is devoid of geographical identifiers. save for a fluttering Union Flag, and localised slang being spoken, the locale could be any rundown inner city. This, I suspect, should widen its appeal worldwide. It’s a world that is recognisable being attacked by an utterly, well, alien one.

Of course, the film isn’t really about aliens. What science fiction film is really about the science fiction? There’s a deeper message at play, and it’s shown most poignantly as Sam, the nurse (lucky, that) they mug at the start who gets stuck with them, walks through Moses’ flat, realising his living arrangements, and the poverty and circumstances of his life. It’s a somewhat obvious message – street kids are just misunderstood and in need of a sympathetic guiding hand – but it’s handled well in a non-invasive way.

It’s difficult to empathise with a group of children who we meet mugging a woman at knife-point. Yet, by the end, we do. There’s an understanding, begrudgingly teased out: there is no single moment where the kids realise the error of their ways, but a series of little moments that betray humanity beneath the faceless hoodies and silent scarves.

There is also, for gore-fans, a good deal of alien-busting throat-ripping, leg-hacking action, involving samurai swords, machetes, firework rockets, baseball bats, and, ah, water pistols… It’s a film that may attract a cult following, but will hopefully enjoy a great deal of success. Joe Cornish has shown great talent here, and I look forward to what he does next. With Moon (2009), Monsters (2010) and now this film this year, I wonder what British-directed SciFi film 2012 has to offer.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.
Post #: 62
RE: Really Good - 14/5/2011 1:16:53 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

It’s difficult to empathise with a group of children who we meet mugging a woman at knife-point. Yet, by the end, we do.

Couldn't agree more. When I first saw the trailer I knew I wanted to see it but was worried that the kids would piss me off. At the start they aren't pleasant but by the end you want to look after every one of them

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq
and, ah, water pistols

Ah, but water pistols that haven't got water in them....

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 63
RE: Forget the block.... - 14/5/2011 1:46:57 PM   
Invader_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: skeletonjack
quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82
quote:

ORIGINAL: GrizBe
Sorry but this movie is just terrible. Monsters that look like they're painted in, a ludicrous storyline... I only went as a friend got some free preview tickets. We'd have been demanding our money back if we'd had to pay. Terrible acting... And the kids. Sorry, but i've got no sympathy for a bunch of scummy chavs who murder a baby alien because they think its funny too, which is quite frankly what they did which is why all the others decend upon them. And someone they've just mugged is really going to team up with them like that? Yeah right. Don't waste your money on this... It sucks. Comparing this to Shaun of the Dead is like comparing a Katy Price 'biography' to Shakespere.

The point is here *, and you're wayyyy over there --------------------------------->.

A f*****g spoiler warning would be nice!

I wouldn't worry about it, as Adam says,  he is actually wrong.  Clearly not paying attention.

Saw it last night in a very sparse screening.  I was a little disappointed, but I think that's because of my own internal hype machine.  It's a good call back to those 80s type of films, like Critters.  Like those films, it sits in an odd space where it isn't really for young kids, but 10- 12 year old will love it, alongside adults. 

The small glimpses you get into the characters lives really rang true, with only really Hi-Hatz seeming a little heightened.
Some of the dialogue didn't ring true to me and from some of the giggles and groans from the actual hoodies in attendance I'd say it isn't as authentic as was hoped.

Definitely worth seeing.  Good to see Genre done well in a British setting.  Good to see a type of film we haven't had a lot of for a while.  Good to see new young talent.  Great Alien design.

I'd go with a high 3 stars, if that makes sense.  My housemate who went into see it without knowing anything about it, says a good 4.

(in reply to skeletonjack)
Post #: 64
RE: Shawn of the Dead? Blasphemous !!!! - 14/5/2011 7:14:07 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: The kUrGaN

What an offensive pile of not funny (at all), not scary (at all) stain on the underpant gusset of British film making this was. Hey everyone, chavs and hoodies can be heroes and save us all from over large Spit the Dogs with day-glo teeth. It's a miracle !! They're just misunderstood and from broken homes, but so street and cool, especially when they rob nurses at knife points.

*facepalm*

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates
Post #: 65
RE: Attack The Block - 14/5/2011 8:05:15 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: leehaskell18

Worst movie i've seen in a long while!....EVEN WORST THAN THIS!!! (link deleted)

Even worse than the film you claim in another thread to be the best of the year? That means every new film would be worse than that, surely?

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)
Post #: 66
RE: Attack The Block - 14/5/2011 11:11:25 PM   
jrewing1000

I was disappointed with this.

I was really hoping for something better from the brilliant Joe Cornish, something more consistent with his obvious talent. I can only wonder how difficult this film was to make and it certainly won't stop me seeing his next effort, which I really hope comes soon.

There were some lovely moments, and there was something quite fresh about certain moments that suggested Cornish was a talent to be watched, that we were going to enjoy bigger and better things from him in the future.

But in the end, I feel this film was let down by poor acting (supporting cast only, the actor playing Moses was superb), poor script (bad jokes) and a bunch of characters I actually hated. Anti-heros they aint.

So I'd drop the rating to 3 stars. Making a film like this in the UK is almost impossible. So good for them. I'd just rather see The Thing.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 67
RE: Block(ed) it out - 14/5/2011 11:25:54 PM   
TrendMeUp

Oddly Chris Tookey really liked it. His review was very similar to Empire's actually.

I thought it was great. Got funnier, ballsier and more exciting as it went on. The kids did well and I liked the arc of Moses' character. Cool, fun and original.

http://thatgumyoulikeblog.wordpress.com - a film blog
Post #: 68
RE: Block(ed) it out - 14/5/2011 11:30:52 PM   
TrendMeUp

I don't think the film suggests South London is shitloads of fun and that all "hoodies" are actually witty and loveable. The only real subtext in the film is that young criminals are often products of their environment and are real people. Everything else was just daft entertainment.

Post #: 69
RE: Attack The Block - 15/5/2011 10:40:34 AM   
jrewing1000

At the end of the day it just wasn't gritty or believable enough. Aliens aside, the gang wasn't believable, nor was the woman who was mugged. I mean seriously - there would be any kind of 'moment' between her and Moses? Please.

The fact that Moses 'wins' in the end made me dislike the film even more. He and his gang are complete bastards and I would have preferred if he had been torn to pieces. But if the writers are suggesting he is a product of his environment, like a few people have suggested here, then show it!! Don't just glance over it as if it isn't important.

(in reply to jrewing1000)
Post #: 70
RE: Attack The Block - 15/5/2011 12:50:12 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: jrewing1000

At the end of the day it just wasn't gritty or believable enough. Aliens aside, the gang wasn't believable, nor was the woman who was mugged. I mean seriously - there would be any kind of 'moment' between her and Moses? Please.

Who knows how the dynamic would change when you're being attacked by aliens... Just saying: let's remember that, at the end of the day, there are aliens in this film, so any 'gritty reality' is going to be a little skewed.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 71
RE: Attack The Block - 15/5/2011 6:51:31 PM   
jrewing1000

Who knows how the dynamic would change when you're being attacked by aliens... Just saying: let's remember that, at the end of the day, there are aliens in this film, so any 'gritty reality' is going to be a little skewed.

You have got to be kidding me. She didn't seem THAT scared by the Aliens. Either she's shitting herself about the aliens and therefore needs help from the gang, or she isn't that bothered about the aliens and therefore doesn't care about the gang either. Call it bad acting if you want, but I didn't believe for one moment that she was that scared.

I also read in Empire review that we 'begin to like the gang'. I didn't. I didn't for one moment stop thinking 'what a bunch of little turds'. There really isn't anything at all likeable about any of them. They exemplify the worst in youth culture. It's a shame really, because in reality their situation is obviously far more complex. But for some reason Cornish relies solely on their humour and street attitude to charm us.

Look at films like Taxi Driver, Unforgiven, The Warriors and The Wire, and you will see exactly how to portray a likeable bad guy.

< Message edited by jrewing1000 -- 15/5/2011 6:55:42 PM >

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 72
RE: Attack The Block - 15/5/2011 11:51:03 PM   
TrendMeUp

They're not supposed to be likeable bad guys though. They're anti heroes of sorts. And by the end of the film, Moses starts to learn to take responsibility for his actions. Plus, apart from the mugging at the start, which they try and atone for, what do they actually do that's so awful?

He skirts over the subtext because it is subtext. It's subtle by definition. No need to dwell on it and draw away from the main focus of the film. He made the point pretty clearly.

Post #: 73
RE: Attack The Block - 16/5/2011 12:01:48 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: jrewing1000

I also read in Empire review that we 'begin to like the gang'. I didn't. I didn't for one moment stop thinking 'what a bunch of little turds'. There really isn't anything at all likeable about any of them. They exemplify the worst in youth culture. It's a shame really, because in reality their situation is obviously far more complex. But for some reason Cornish relies solely on their humour and street attitude to charm us.

Look at films like Taxi Driver, Unforgiven, The Warriors and The Wire, and you will see exactly how to portray a likeable bad guy.

Subjective innit? I began to like them, you didn't. Thats all that needs to be said surely? Despite initially disliking them, they did make me laugh later on, and Moses story-arc was genuinely affecting, especially in the final scene reveal.

Post #: 74
RE: Attack The Block - 16/5/2011 9:05:03 AM   
Invader_Ace

I love how in Action and Sci-fi (well, fiction in general) we regularly accept murderers, corrupt cops, mercenaries and outright nut-jobs as heroes, but apparently asking the same of a bunch of poor black kids is just too much.

Post #: 75
RE: Attack The Block - 16/5/2011 3:32:30 PM   
Gretzky

quote:

ORIGINAL: Invader_Ace

I love how in Action and Sci-fi (well, fiction in general) we regularly accept murderers, corrupt cops, mercenaries and outright nut-jobs as heroes, but apparently asking the same of a bunch of poor black kids is just too much.

I don't think it's that simple at all. I'd still hate the characters if they were upper class white kids from Texas... Antiheroes work if they have either something redeemable or sympathetic about them, or at least within the parameters of their situation. We can sym/empathise with Michael Corleone within the confines of his family situation. Travis Bickle is well-rounded and attracts our sympathy to a point. In Gone in 60 Seconds we sympathise with stealing the cars or Kip will be killed...

Starting ATB with characters who mug a nurse, first with physical threat then with a knife is already causing them to be on the wrong side of the audience... Then for them to see an alien creature and their first instinct is to kill it - not to be curious - and then revel in that kill is why I hated them so much. Only one of the characters attempts to redeems himself and that sequence barely rings true. Any chance they have to be sorry is quickly extinguished by yet another excuse. The sequence when they encounter the nurse in her flat was their chance to find some likability, but instead we get more bad attitude and a misogynistic attitude towards her.

I would call all of this brave screenwriting were it not that the characters are barely fleshed out. I'd wager audiences can't recall how many are in the gang. Not to mention the rest of the film is utterly underwhelming. Distinctly average filmmaking at best, with no real tension, scares, original visual style or anything approaching the hype its been given. Reading some reviews I'd expected this to be some truly original filmmaking but all we've been given is a barely passable monster movie.

~ Formerly Ash_Boomstick
Female Film Fan

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 76
RE: Attack The Block - 16/5/2011 5:05:33 PM   
Rgirvan44

I thought that it was pretty great. 

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Gretzky)
Post #: 77
RE: Attack The Block - 16/5/2011 5:59:09 PM   
Filmfan 2

*****There will be spoilers*****

I'm a big fan of Adam and Joe, my love of them being rekindled in late 2009 when I 'discovered' them on 6music only 2 weeks before they went off air for Joe to get his film made. I'd been a fan during their C4 years, but lost track of them a little after that. Rediscovering them, however, has been one of my cultural highlights of the past few years and listening to their (very funny) radio show, Joe's love of film comes across plainly, so sitting down to watch his debut effort on Friday afternoon, I was keen to see how his passion translated to his own cinematic effort.

Watching the first 15 minutes or so, I wasn't sure how the film was going to pan out. I'd tried to go in without any preconceptions, but with the films initial mugging to introduce us to the protagonists, I was worrying that it was going to be difficult to warm to these characters. It wasn't until after the initial killing of the first alien, and the arrival of the bigger, badder ones that the film really began to take off. Perhaps it's because inner-city teen culture in London is as alien to me as the films antagonists, though I didn't have any problem understanding the teen-speak, despite what most reviewers would have you believe.

The rest of the film is very entertaining, and Cornish's influences in making this film are worn on his sleeve. The photography transforms the block at times into something that almost looks other-worldly and the pace never really lets up once the invasion proper kicks off. What I did find myself slightly surprised at, was that I agreed somewhat with Cosmo Landesman's assessment of the film for The Times. He writes:

"Yet the film is an entertaining mix of crazy sci-fi and social realism. Cornish has clearly done his homework, and the gang's lingo and their lives look and sound authentic. It's just that ATB has a soft underbelly of sentimental liberalism that I wish wasn't there. Nobody is really bad, the kids aren't bad, the druggies aren't bad. The only bad guys in the film are shown to be the police and the drug boss. And there are moments of cringeworthy social commentary, as when Sam says it's okay to carry a knife if your life is being threatened - and one of the gang points out that his life is threatened every day. Actually, as we've seen, guys like him often carry a knife to rob people like Sam."

I don't always see eye-to-eye with Cosmo's views, but he sums up perhaps my biggest sense of unease about the film. It has nothing to do with the fact that it's the behaviour of inner-city (mostly) black kids as someone suggests above me. It just that Cornish seems to want to offer a rebuttal of the every day prejudices that these kids face, yet somehow glorify the very aspects he's trying to rail against. I'm also not so sure about the hug-a-hoodie tone of the ending.

The above paragraph aside, however, this is a very impressive debut feature from Cornish. He's destined for big things if he stays on this kind of form, and I'd be keen to see what he was to produce if he was to tackle a 'regular' drama, or genre outside of sci-fi/horror monster flicks.

I only hope his success, though well deserved, doesn't have a lasting impact on the 6music show.

< Message edited by Filmfan 2 -- 16/5/2011 6:08:35 PM >

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 78
RE: Attack The Block - 16/5/2011 9:03:20 PM   
crazyben66

I enjoyed it as a bit of frothy fun to take my mind off of exams, but it wasn't anything particularly special. I think the hype sorta ruined it.

"HAHA! It's called internal bleeding f**ker! And then you die!"

"SHUT UP, CRIME!"

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 79
RE: Attack The Block - 17/5/2011 3:02:21 PM   
Shifty Bench

The film has it's problems but I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

********************SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY**********************

I honestly did not see the ending coming. The whole use of the flag thing? Excellent set-up. We see the flag all the way through the film but are given no indication that it is Moses' flat. Really well done. Much better than the 'I can jump that' set-up which is paid off too soon and basically goes nowhere. Plus, I thought the aliens were bloody creepy, I think it's the teeth that does it. Would like to be in the dark and see that light in the distance. Would like to have seen Nick Frost kick some alien arse but I guess that would ruin the whole joke about him being a coward and hiding. One thing I will say about the Empire review is the statement that there are some surprise deaths. I didn't think so, if there had to be deaths of the hoodies those are the exact ones I picked while watching. And the ending was brilliant. By then I couldn't care less if a 'hoodie' was getting hailed as a hero, the dude earned it and got redemption. Plus, how refreshing is it to see the heroic survivors get arrested? That is something we should see more often in a horror film as you'd think that is exactly what would happen.

******************SPOILERS END***********************************

I'm not a Basement Jaxx fan, but I enjoyed the soundtrack. The music from the last scene can be heard here- http://soundcloud.com/basement-jaxx/basement-jaxx-the-ends

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 17/5/2011 3:38:40 PM >

(in reply to crazyben66)
Post #: 80
RE: Attack The Block - 17/5/2011 5:19:40 PM   
brucejackiejet

Enjoyed watching this but must admit to being a little disappointed - not because I thought the film was bad but because I was expecting a comedy. Everything about the way it was marketed including the trailer seemed to point to it as being an out and out comedy, but for me it was more of a straight horror with a few jokes thrown in. Throughout the whole thing the most it did was raise a mild chuckle which made me feel a little cheated by the end, when really it was a very competently made horror flick and should have been marketed as such.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 81
RE: Attack The Block - 17/5/2011 6:53:11 PM   
MonsterCat

Saw this today and I enjoyed the fuck out of it. Had I not known any better, I would of thought that Cornballs had experience at directing feature length movies. There have been complaints that this movie isn't very funny, although I think this was an entirely intentional move on Cornish's part. But there are some genuinely laugh out loud moments to take the edge off some of the scarier scenes.

Generally exciting and tense stuff. I'm looking forward to Cornish directing more movies.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to brucejackiejet)
Post #: 82
RE: Attack The Block - 17/5/2011 7:03:54 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
There have been complaints that this movie isn't very funny, although I think this was an entirely intentional move on Cornish's part.

Dr. Sexy did say on Kermode and Mayo that the film isn't mean to be a laugh-a-minute romp. He wanted it to be tense and exciting with humour thrown in, rather than the other way around. He was a bit annoyed with Kermode when he said he didn't think it was funny enough. I knew this before going to see it, so I wasn't expecting it to be jokes all the way through.

It's a shame people are complaining that the film isn't something that is isn't even trying to be in the first place.....

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 83
RE: Attack The Block - 17/5/2011 7:09:28 PM   
MonsterCat

I like Kermode but he was way off on that point. Why did it need to be funnier?

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 17/5/2011 7:14:39 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 84
RE: Attack The Block - 17/5/2011 7:15:18 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

I like Kermode but he was way off on that point. Why does it need to be funnier?

I'm guessing he was expecting something different too. I got the impression that he and Joe were fans of each other but the interview was a bit awkward. I missed some of it, may give it another listen actually.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 85
RE: Attack The Block - 18/5/2011 9:12:59 AM   
brucejackiejet

quote:

I like Kermode but he was way off on that point. Why did it need to be funnier?

I think the reason why he and so many others (including myself) expected it to be funnier was because that's how it was sold. The trailer spent the majority of its time highlighting the half dozen jokes rather than the suspense and horror that made up 95% of it, while the posters all had quotes like 'Hilarious' and proudly displayed that it was from the producers of Shaun of the Dead. Consequently it's no wonder a lot of people went in there expecting something funny/spoof-like.

I'm assuming Cornish didn't actually control the marketing aspect as it seems like the work of a bunch of PR guys who clearly didn't watch the film before declaring it as a comedy, a ploy which I think has backfired on them. Still enjoyed it though, just wish it hadn't been mis-marketed.

Post #: 86
RE: Attack The Block - 19/5/2011 12:33:14 PM   
superdan

I found I didn't enjoy as much as I was expecting to (probably due to expecting too much). As a directorial debut, I think ATB is a very accomplished effort. It's atmospheric, well-acted (for the most part), and it ratchets up the tension nicely at times. The main problems I had were the fact that many of the characters are pretty difficult to warm to (being, as they are, thieving and violent gang members), and it was much bleaker and less funny than I was anticipating. As I say, this was probably down to unrealistic expectations, and I'll probably enjoy the film more on a second viewing.

Edit: just read some of the above comments so it appears these are common criticisms.
quote:

ORIGINAL: brucejackiejet
I'm assuming Cornish didn't actually control the marketing aspect as it seems like the work of a bunch of PR guys who clearly didn't watch the film before declaring it as a comedy, a ploy which I think has backfired on them. Still enjoyed it though, just wish it hadn't been mis-marketed

From what I've read and heard, Cornish has gone to some length to downplay the 'comedy' aspect attached to the movie. Until I saw it, I assumed he was just trying to stop people expecting another SotD but it seems he may have been actually trying to give people a more accurate idea of what the film is like, rather than how it's been marketed. I should have paid more attention to him really.

< Message edited by superdan -- 19/5/2011 12:37:14 PM >

(in reply to brucejackiejet)
Post #: 87
RE: Attack The Block - 20/5/2011 3:18:57 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan
From what I've read and heard, Cornish has gone to some length to downplay the 'comedy' aspect attached to the movie. Until I saw it, I assumed he was just trying to stop people expecting another SotD but it seems he may have been actually trying to give people a more accurate idea of what the film is like, rather than how it's been marketed. I should have paid more attention to him really.

Yeah, that was part of the 'argument' between Cornish and Kermode. I had listened to Cornish before I went to see it

Kermode and Mayo still bloody said today that it should have been funnier

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 20/5/2011 3:20:05 PM >

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 88
RE: Attack The Block - 20/5/2011 3:44:37 PM   
Cruisecontroller

SPOILERS!

Overall this is an entertaining comedy horror which is worth seeing if you like Shaun of The Dead but it isn`t as good as that or as funny but it should appeal to the same fan base. However it`s low budget at times making it look grittier and more belivable at other times does the opposite with the monsters. The monsters to me are what lets this otherwise enjoyable movie down as to me the baby alien is far more scary like something from the Alien franchise than the adult ones that come after Moses. They just looked daft like four legged balls of black fluff with flourscent teeth. Honestly my sisters adorable Newfoundland dog (like a black St Beranard) is scarier. It spolit the picture for me and turned the parts which I assumned were supposed to be scary into silly horror. I wouldn`t be surprised if David Walliams features them if he does another Awfully Good Movies special. 3/5.

< Message edited by Cruisecontroller -- 1/6/2011 2:39:59 PM >

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

Post #: 89
RE: Very good! - 26/5/2011 7:59:53 AM   
jonson

Spoilers

Excellent. Really enjoyed this, had a few issues with it (I didn't like the way Moses was the hero at the end, the kids chanting his name etc. He was scumbag, pure and simple) but the kids all players their parts well I thought, the humour had me laughing many times but the Aliens. Wow!
Having been brought up on a diet of classic Predator and Alien designs, I have never been convinced about film aliens at all. Apart from Critters . But these, being just black (had they taken the colour out of the film? I'm no filmmaker but surely that is possible?) with just luminous teeth were excellent. They stalked brutally like the werewolf in AWIL and that scene when they are all outside the window at the end was great. They looked scary.
Not 100% sure about the ending as I said, I was a little uncomfortable with her apparent forgiving of Moses, but all in all it didn't stop me thoroughly enjoying the film.
Top work.
I'll give it 4 stars but really it's so close to being a 5 star film for me, I (and my friends) were grinning all the way through.

< Message edited by jonson -- 26/5/2011 8:01:15 AM >

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Exceptional Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI