Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Great debut

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Great debut Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Great debut - 10/5/2011 9:07:51 AM   
dirtypunk

Saw this last night, even got to meet Mr Cornish himself (lovely man) and the rest of the cast. Totally agree with the rating it's a great film, equally funny, dark and exciting.
Post #: 31
RE: Great debut - 10/5/2011 12:24:01 PM   
adambatman82

I saw the film yesterday, and really enjoyed it. It's smart, packing in some pretty scathing social commentary, and, perhaps most impressively, it manages to remain sincere. You don't get the impression that the filmmaker was trying to emulate some kind of subculture that he didn't understand, nor do you feel patronised by its representation of youth, which for a film of this ilk is really quite something.

(in reply to dirtypunk)
Post #: 32
RE: Great debut - 10/5/2011 2:59:36 PM   
nhassell

Saw this last night. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. Highly reccomend.

This Is The End - ***
Man Of Steel - ***
The Great Gatsby - ***
Iron Man 3 - ***
Evil Dead - ***

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 33
RE: - 10/5/2011 7:47:52 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: shitneck

The film is average, and should never be compared to shaun of the dead!
One thing that bothers me though, i have been looking at the adverts for the film at bust stops etc for the last two weeks, and it comes with the quotes at the top "Hilarious, action packed & Terrifying" apparently from Empire......

So after reading the offical Empire review, i am completely stumped as to where ANY of those lines are!! Very misleading......

In the unofficial one perhaps? Seriously though, while I agree that the comparisons to Shaun Of The Dead are tenuous at best, the film is "hilarious, action-packed and terrifying". Granted, two of those things are subjective, but still...

The quote was probably taken from an earlier preview article.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 10/5/2011 7:49:00 PM >
Post #: 34
RE: RE: - 11/5/2011 3:19:24 PM   
shitneck

Yes, i am aware that the comments were taken from a preview, but my point is how the distributors deliberately lift words and take lines out of context to drum up business. I ca remember seeing the poster for Hannah montanah the movie a few years back and that actually stated that Empire had garnered it with FOUR stars! i think they actually gave it 2........ 

Post #: 35
RE: RE: - 11/5/2011 6:30:03 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: shitneck

Yes, i am aware that the comments were taken from a preview, but my point is how the distributors deliberately lift words and take lines out of context to drum up business. I ca remember seeing the poster for Hannah montanah the movie a few years back and that actually stated that Empire had garnered it with FOUR stars! i think they actually gave it 2........ 

You just reminded of the Four Lions review...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to shitneck)
Post #: 36
RE: Lorra Lorra lully movie moments - 12/5/2011 2:31:34 AM   
Qwerty Norris

Seen this today and thought it was terrific. Not only is it a riproar of a ninety minute film that's action-packed yet distinctly British, it dares us to invest sympathy in what is highly regarded as the scum of Britain - and it succeeds! Another strong addition into what has been a fine year for UK-based films so far. I Cannot wait for Chirs Tookey's thoughts on Friday!

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph
Post #: 37
RE: Forget the block.... - 12/5/2011 3:24:31 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: GrizBe

Sorry but this movie is just terrible. Monsters that look like they're painted in, a ludicrous storyline... I only went as a friend got some free preview tickets. We'd have been demanding our money back if we'd had to pay. Terrible acting... And the kids. Sorry, but i've got no sympathy for a bunch of scummy chavs who murder a baby alien because they think its funny too, which is quite frankly what they did which is why all the others decend upon them. And someone they've just mugged is really going to team up with them like that? Yeah right. Don't waste your money on this... It sucks. Comparing this to Shaun of the Dead is like comparing a Katy Price 'biography' to Shakespere.

The point is here *, and you're wayyyy over there --------------------------------->.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 12/5/2011 3:25:10 PM >
Post #: 38
RE: Forget the block.... - 12/5/2011 4:45:54 PM   
skeletonjack

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

Sorry but this movie is just terrible. Monsters that look like they're painted in, a ludicrous storyline... I only went as a friend got some free preview tickets. We'd have been demanding our money back if we'd had to pay. Terrible acting... And the kids. Sorry, but i've got no sympathy for a bunch of scummy chavs who murder a baby alien because they think its funny too, which is quite frankly what they did which is why all the others decend upon them. And someone they've just mugged is really going to team up with them like that? Yeah right. Don't waste your money on this... It sucks. Comparing this to Shaun of the Dead is like comparing a Katy Price 'biography' to Shakespere.

The point is here *, and you're wayyyy over there --------------------------------->.

A f*****g spoiler warning would be nice!

Post #: 39
RE: Forget the block.... - 12/5/2011 5:41:46 PM   
Bighousewill

you have to be dead careful to avoid spoilers I always hit these threads and read the Empire review after I've seen the film, this guy the poster GrizBe doesn't know the SPOILER ALERT warning so Iv'e reported this disregard for fellow film fans just click report post and there is a report spoiler option.

< Message edited by Bighousewill -- 12/5/2011 5:44:18 PM >

(in reply to skeletonjack)
Post #: 40
RE: Forget the block.... - 12/5/2011 6:20:47 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

To be fair there's no requirement to have a spoiler warning as it's a review thread, it would be nice and a courtesy but it's not essential. I suggest staying clear of review threads until you've actually seen the movie in question....

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

Post #: 41
RE: Forget the block.... - 12/5/2011 6:38:03 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: skeletonjack

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

A f*****g spoiler warning would be nice!

Is that little bit of outrage aimed at me?

That particular plot point is hardly a spoiler any way (nor is it factually correct). Its the event that kicks off the story, is within the opening five minutes of the film and is mentioned in the Empire review that you've just commented in the thread of.

Post #: 42
RE: Forget the block.... - 12/5/2011 6:41:28 PM   
Dr Lenera

In the London area of Oval, Sam a young woman is walking home when she is mugged by a group of hoodies, led by Moses, who take her change, purse and even a ring.  Just then, something resembling a meteorite lands in the park nearby.  As Sam gets away and tells the police of her mugging, the youths investigate and are attacked by a ferocious wolf-like creature, whom they dispatch.  They hide the carcass in the house of their drug dealer friend Ron, but more creatures appear, and the gang have to evade both the monsters and their police……….

Ask my opinions of hoodies and I’ll normally reply that I detest the little shits and that they are a blight on many of this country’s cities.  Therefore, a movie in which hoodies battle aliens seemed like an interesting prospect, one in which I would support the aliens for once!  Surprisingly, this ended up not being the case at all with Attack The Block, the first feature from Joe Cornish, one which I hope will lead to many successive films from him.  This is a hugely enjoyable romp, one which, despite the setting, is almost a throwback to that golden age of teen horror/science fiction/adventure movies the 80, where films like Gremlins, The Monster Squad and The Goonies had kids who weren’t always great role models but were how kids actually are, had a bit of violence , a bit of horror, but maintained a sense of fun throughout and overall were a real good time at the movies for just about anyone, not just their target audience!  Compare that to the crap teenagers are fed today!  Now even though the main protagonists of Attack The Block aren’t exactly ‘nice’ kids, I still reckon many youths viewing the movie will identify with them in some way.  Cornish, who wrote as well as directed this movie, has to balance two things that many would think wouldn’t work well together- a realistic depiction of youths in a typical London ‘block’ and scary furry alien monsters,  and you know what, he succeeds very well.

The opening sequence is very brave, we see the people who later on have to be the film’s ‘heroes’  in their worst light.  As they circle around Sam on their bikes,  dismount and form a line in front of her, looking really menacing in their outfits, before  they cruelly mug her, even to the point of taking a ring which obviously means a great deal to her, the tone is very menacing.  I must admit, as we then follow the hoodies, rather than Sam, I wasn’t sure as if I was going to enjoy the movie, especially as I couldn’t understand much of what the kids were saying, and also because Nick Frost’s presence in a movie normally indicates these days that it’s going to be poor  [i,e.Paul, The Boat That Rocked]. However, we soon get into the encounter with the monster in the park and after that the film is a terrific thrill ride, moving at a furious pace.  Cornish delivers some really exciting sequences with his tiny budget, such a couple of the characters are trapped in a police van, and even some actual horror-they are two moments when characters see the creatures outside a window which are genuinely frightening, plus a few other bits here and there.   He also adroitly mixes in humour, sometimes using it at the same time as the more intense stuff, such as one kid who spends most of the film trapped in a skip, or when the gang, taking flight in the police van, crash into a car……….one which happens to be driven by their gangster ‘boss’.   The film never goes too far in one direction though, it’s all balanced perfectly, in a way that makes me wonder why more films these days can’t do this!   Sentimentality is mostly avoided but the final scene is quite rousing, and, you know what, it works superbly.

I mentioned earlier about the language and need to mention it again because it is a big part of the film and seems to have put a lot of people off.   The kids talk in what I can best describe as a mixture of Cockney and Jamaican, and there are so many odd phrases and terms that at times it is hard to understand what they mean.  However, it really helps things seems authentic-after all, this is how hoodies talk, and I applaud the bravery in doing this, at the expense of some coherence.  The actual portrayal of the kids is really well balanced-it doesn’t shy away from their crime and drug filled lives, but still shows them as real people who have good and bad points.  There’s a brilliant sequence where we see all the main kids, in turn, briefly going to their respective homes to get weapons and then going out again.  Each one has a lone parent [or possibly grandparent in one case] whose respective attitudes speak volumes in scenes that only last a few seconds.  There’s plenty of social comment elsewhere, some of it of the humorous kind, such as when the kids can’t understand why Sam wants to move away, asking what’s wrong with the area.  I also loved the dialogue in another scene where Sam says “I don’t want to get mixed up in this f******g gang warfare bullshit” and Moses replies “This isn’t about gangs………..or drugs, or rap music, or video games”.   None of this is overdone, and a lot of the time it’s quite subtle, but it shows that the script has been written with intelligence, even in a film that many other writers would have said didn’t require it.

We don’t actually find much out about the aliens, such as to why they attack Oval in the first place, and the effects are mostly limited to some very briefly seen flashes of light hitting the ground and the hairy aliens, but that’s really all we need.  The latter, which are seen often though rarely in much detail actually seemed quite effective to me, I loved the way their teeth seemed to light up at times, though I couldn’t understand why the body of the alien they kill looks really different to all the others, and there were times I was reminded of Critters, but I suppose that’s not a bad thing.  They seemed to me to be people in suits [hurrah!!] with a bit of added CGI.  There isn’t a huge amount of gore, and the bloodiest sequence, a multiple kill in a lift, happens so that you only see the aftermath, but there are brief gruesome bits.  Things in the movie that I do think are flaws are the presence of Frost’s character, who really serves no function at all, and the way that, with the exception of Moses, the white characters seem a little prioritised-I’m certainly no worshipper at the altar of political correctness, in fact I really dislike it, but perhaps in this particular movie the balance on this matter could have been better seeing as it’s set in an area where black people outnumber white people.

My favourite performance in the movie is Luke Treadaway as Brewis, a student who spends the whole film stoned, I felt like laughing every time I saw him.  Outside of Frost, Treadaway and Jodie Whitaker as Sam, the cast are all virtuallty much unknowns but fare really well.  John Boyega is especially strong as Moses, he really conveys his character’s constant bitterness and anger, and also provides the film’s loveliest moment when he finally smiles.  Steven Price’s electronic score often sounds like the backing for rap tracks and is usually quite effective.  Attack The Block totally exceeded my expectations, it’s a terrific piece of entertainment that never really gives you time to breath but has been made with skill and care, and as for the hoodies?  Well, I actually got to rather liking the little sods, and, during one scene where they head out on their bikes to confront their strange enemy,  I actually felt like rooting for them-out loud.
8/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

Post #: 43
RE: Forget the block.... - 12/5/2011 6:42:11 PM   
Dr Lenera

double post!!

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 44
RE: WHY DOES EMPIRE FEEL THEY HAVE TO GIVE FILMS HIGH R... - 12/5/2011 8:36:49 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: AreThoseMyFeet

The aliens were a bag of t**ts.

I would like to purchase such a bag. I shall offer a shiny new penny in exchange.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 45
RE: WHY DOES EMPIRE FEEL THEY HAVE TO GIVE FILMS HIGH R... - 12/5/2011 8:58:59 PM   
superdan

quote:

The characters were awful. Im sure your meant to like the characters your rooting for! I was so gutted when leaving the cinema, the premise is excellent, unfortunately executed terribly. The aliens were a bag of t**ts. No way do i want to watch a film with loads of a**ehole charve mugs running about speaking with some stupid accent that sounded like a cross between eastenders and boyz in the hood. Pish!!!

Posh chav's?
Post #: 46
RE: WHY DOES EMPIRE FEEL THEY HAVE TO GIVE FILMS HIGH R... - 12/5/2011 9:01:27 PM   
MonsterCat

Do the aliens actually resemble bags of tits? Because THAT is a movie I'd go see.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 12/5/2011 9:06:30 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 47
RE: Demolish this Block!! - 13/5/2011 10:14:35 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Saw this yesterday afternoon only 4 people in? Enjoyed it, though wouldn't go as far as the 4*s in Empire (who seem to always go a bit over the top when it comes Edgar & co) not that that's a bad thing though.
Felt the film was let down slightly by the Alien looked like a Black walking shag-pile with teeth also could've done more with Frosty's character BUT the 2 standouts to me were Luke Treadaway & the young white hoodie Alex Esmail both highly entertaining indeed.
7/10 or 3*s 

< Message edited by Wild about Wilder -- 13/5/2011 10:15:36 AM >
Post #: 48
RE: Demolish this Block!! - 13/5/2011 10:26:38 AM   
Timon

I have to say I was impressed with the two actors playing Moses and Pest, they were surprisingly charismatic considering the characters they play are unapologetic bastards. Still, I was surprised at how much I was willing to let their behavior go as the film progressed.

Sure, on the scale of Chavdom, they were probably chav-lite, but the fact they were so blase about their actions was a nice touch.

I was really entertained by it, and those who seem to hate it because it focuses "**ehole charve mugs running about speaking with some stupid accent that sounded like a cross between eastenders and boyz in the hood" have spectacularly missed the point .

3.5/5

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 49
Exceptional - 13/5/2011 11:56:08 AM   
rick_7

Attack the Block (Joe Cornish, 2011) - The first film from Joe Cornish, one half of cult broadcasting duo Adam and Joe, is a vital horror-comedy that pitches a teen gang against a breed of hairy aliens with glow-in-the-dark teeth. It begins with a mugging, as nurse Jodie Whittaker has her phone, wallet and ring taken at knifepoint by five hoodies. No sooner has she fled the scene than an alien falls from the sky into a parked car. The kids kick it to death. Then its mates turn up. This is an incredibly assured debut, with unpredictable plotting, stylised dialogue and characters you really care about, once their frailties are laid bare. Cornish has acknowledged his debt to '80s "creature features", but the film this most recalls is John Carpenter's action classic Assault on Precinct 13 - albeit set in London, and with added aliens - as a gaggle of disparate, untrusting souls band together to combat a greater threat, and an unlikely, initially dislikeable hero emerges. While Whittaker is excellent and the supporting players are uniformly fine, the standout performance unquestionably comes from John Boyega as gang leader Moses, with his sullen expression, Adidas-three-stripe-style facial scar and burgeoning understanding of his growing responsibilities. He's a fantastic character and Boyega nails his myriad complexities: his insecurity and feeling of persecution alongside his bravery, resourcefulness and sense of honour. Cornish also has a natural gift for choreographing action, leading to a series of frenetic, energetic, perfectly-paced set pieces. Indeed, that vitality and invention runs through the whole film, whether its "big alien gorilla wolf monster" baddies or the Union Jack reveal: an iconic shot, informed by Roger Moore-era Bond, at the heart of a stunning finale. Perhaps the subplot about middle class drug dealer Luke Treadaway was a bit of a misstep - although funny in itself, it slows proceedings - but everything else about this punchy, idiosyncratic slice of genre fun is absolutely dead-on. It's also a thrilling counterpoint to establishment fare like The King's Speech, without a royal carriage or quietly-emoting monarch in sight. And it has the best final five minutes of any film in recent memory. (4)

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 50
RE: Exceptional - 13/5/2011 1:11:45 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7

Attack the Block (Joe Cornish, 2011) - The first film from Joe Cornish, one half of cult broadcasting duo Adam and Joe, is a vital horror-comedy that pitches a teen gang against a breed of hairy aliens with glow-in-the-dark teeth. It begins with a mugging, as nurse Jodie Whittaker has her phone, wallet and ring taken at knifepoint by five hoodies. No sooner has she fled the scene than an alien falls from the sky into a parked car. The kids kick it to death. Then its mates turn up. This is an incredibly assured debut, with unpredictable plotting, stylised dialogue and characters you really care about, once their frailties are laid bare. Cornish has acknowledged his debt to '80s "creature features", but the film this most recalls is John Carpenter's action classic Assault on Precinct 13 - albeit set in London, and with added aliens - as a gaggle of disparate, untrusting souls band together to combat a greater threat, and an unlikely, initially dislikeable hero emerges. While Whittaker is excellent and the supporting players are uniformly fine, the standout performance unquestionably comes from John Boyega as gang leader Moses, with his sullen expression, Adidas-three-stripe-style facial scar and burgeoning understanding of his growing responsibilities. He's a fantastic character and Boyega nails his myriad complexities: his insecurity and feeling of persecution alongside his bravery, resourcefulness and sense of honour. Cornish also has a natural gift for choreographing action, leading to a series of frenetic, energetic, perfectly-paced set pieces. Indeed, that vitality and invention runs through the whole film, whether its "big alien gorilla wolf monster" baddies or the Union Jack reveal: an iconic shot, informed by Roger Moore-era Bond, at the heart of a stunning finale. Perhaps the subplot about middle class drug dealer Luke Treadaway was a bit of a misstep - although funny in itself, it slows proceedings - but everything else about this punchy, idiosyncratic slice of genre fun is absolutely dead-on. It's also a thrilling counterpoint to establishment fare like The King's Speech, without a royal carriage or quietly-emoting monarch in sight. And it has the best final five minutes of any film in recent memory. (4)

Sold.

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 51
RE: Exceptional - 13/5/2011 1:27:41 PM   
rick_7

Cool, I hope it meets expectations. Looking at it again, I seem to have specifically, subconsciously posted this in order to sell it to you: Carpenter, '80s kids films and all that.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 52
RE: Exceptional - 13/5/2011 1:45:51 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

Sold.

Definitely!  Was deliberating over seeing this after work tonight, definitely will be now

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 53
Attack the Block: Who Wants To See Poor People On Film ... - 13/5/2011 1:51:16 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

What a film with potential. Unfortunately, potential not filled. I only went to see the film because of empires feature on what influenced it. There is no hint of Gremilns, Critters, Warriors etc.

The characters were awful. Im sure your meant to like the characters your rooting for! I was so gutted when leaving the cinema, the premise is excellent, unfortunately executed terribly. The aliens were a bag of t**ts. No way do i want to watch a film with loads of a**ehole charve mugs running about speaking with some stupid accent that sounded like a cross between eastenders and boyz in the hood. Pish!!!

While I apologise for your blatant, unrepentant classism, I will not apologise for your shameful attempt at passive-aggressive libel in the subject line, namely "RE: WHY DOES EMPIRE FEEL THEY HAVE TO GIVE FILMS HIGH RATINGS JUST BECAUSE THEY RECENTLY HAVE INTERVIEWED THE DIRECTOR."

How many times do we have to say this before people realise we're serious? This is an attack on the credibility of the magazine for no good reason other than that you disagreed with their view of the film. Seriously, get over it and stop trying to find conspiracies, they'll only get you in hot water.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.
Post #: 54
RE: Attack the Block: Who Wants To See Poor People On F... - 13/5/2011 1:57:32 PM   
MonsterCat

I still think that a stickied thread which explains the libel rule in a more explicit way is a good idea. And I don't have that many good ideas.

What with these assclowns throwing around libelous comments about the mag and the constant spamming from adbots, I'm surprised you mods haven't completely lost your minds.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 55
RE: Attack the Block: Who Wants To See Poor People On F... - 13/5/2011 2:18:06 PM   
rick_7

Yes, that's probably wise.

< Message edited by rick_7 -- 13/5/2011 2:20:25 PM >

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 56
RE: Attack the Block: Who Wants To See Poor People On F... - 13/5/2011 2:20:58 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
I'm surprised you mods haven't completely lost your minds.

Who says we haven't.....................

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 57
RE: Exceptional - 13/5/2011 2:32:55 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

Cool, I hope it meets expectations. Looking at it again, I seem to have specifically, subconsciously posted this in order to sell it to you: Carpenter, '80s kids films and all that.

Heheh. True, true. Unless the subliminal messages I've left dotted around the Forum are starting to take affect...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 58
RE: Exceptional - 13/5/2011 8:48:53 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Just got back from seeing it and thoroughly enjoyed it! Despite my initial misgivings from the trailer that the chav speak would annoy me it was quite the opposite and it made the film. Pest was my favourite character. Lots of laugh out loud moments and slightly gorier than I was expecting (but then again from the makers of Shaun of the Dead, should have expected it ) Good stuff! Well sick, bruv

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 59
RE: Exceptional - 13/5/2011 8:52:12 PM   
rick_7

That's a relief.  The last time I encouraged a mod to fork out £20 they didn't enjoy the film and I lost three teeth and a hand. I've just been tinkering around with my top 100 for the year and I've got this at #8 so far - #3 in terms of first viewings. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. Just got a little post-film fix myself, watching the Film4 mini-doc on it, which I unwittingly taped last night. They've somehow managed to cut clips together so the film looks quite poor, which is a real feat, but the interview with Joe was good. I like how unapologetic he is about being a massive film nerd.

< Message edited by rick_7 -- 13/5/2011 8:55:19 PM >

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Great debut Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI