Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Attack The Block

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Attack The Block Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Attack The Block - 27/4/2011 8:23:20 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Empire Bias - 27/4/2011 8:43:47 PM   
Rgirvan44

I was coming into make a joke, but Old_Pyrate here has beaten me to the punch!

Only, I am not sure that he is joking.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 2
RE: Empire Bias - 27/4/2011 9:21:03 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

I was coming into make a joke, but Old_Pyrate here has beaten me to the punch!

Only, I am not sure that he is joking.

I'm amazed accusing Empire reviewers of dishonesty isn't a banning offence - would stop these threads getting bogged down in the usual moronic debates.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 3
RE: Empire Bias - 27/4/2011 10:04:17 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Old_Pyrate

Bollocks, you always give good reviews to your movie mates, Empire.

Specious and possibly libelous nonsense. I don't know what your argument is based upon.

Anyhoo, I'm rather excited for this. Hopefully there's a cameo for Count Buckulese in there somewhere.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 27/4/2011 10:11:45 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013
Post #: 4
RE: Empire Bias - 27/4/2011 10:06:41 PM   
horribleives

Does anyone know if Attack The Block is an empirically good film or not? 'Cos otherwise how do we know Chris Hewitt has even seen it?*

*If this makes no sense then check out the Scream 4 thread. Or rather, if you value your sanity, don't.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 5
RE: Empire Bias - 27/4/2011 10:11:10 PM   
elab49

quote:

"Even his voiceover work on the landmark 2006 TV show, Orange & Empire At The Movies, is nothing short of seminal (and has had absolutely no bearing on this review, we assure you"

Bollocks, you always give good reviews to your movie mates, Empire. See Crystal Skull, Attack of the Clones, Paul, Lovely Bones, Death Proof etc etc. I suspect this is no different.

I'm sure you'll pop back and let us know when you've actually seen the film.

quote:

I'm amazed accusing Empire reviewers of dishonesty isn't a banning offence - would stop these threads getting bogged down in the usual moronic debates.

I tend to agree. We did at one point think we might remove posts if the person hadn't seen the film and direct posters to the existing discussion of Empire reviewing in Empire Online, which is what this is. But that was a last resort thing saved for the next big Avatar type thing. But this common goto argument of suggesting what is pretty much fraud is increasingly tiresome.

I think it might be helpful to see the autotext in the Empire post changed - that'd save us a world of argument as well.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome
Post #: 6
RE: Empire Bias - 27/4/2011 10:18:36 PM   
MonsterCat

Would it help to sticky a locked topic in Film Reviews that explains the libel rule in a more explicit way?

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 27/4/2011 10:19:06 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 7
RE: Empire Bias - 27/4/2011 10:22:07 PM   
matty_b

I doubt it. I don't think for one minute these type of tiresome posters would a) bother to read it, or b) understand it.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 8
RE: Empire Bias - 27/4/2011 10:25:03 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

I doubt it. I don't think for one minute these type of tiresome posters would a) bother to read it, or b) understand it.

I guess you're right. Also, it may take away Rgirvan44's favourite past-time: making fun of people like Old Pirate.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 9
RE: Empire Bias - 27/4/2011 10:25:16 PM   
Rgirvan44

And where is the fun in that? We have TWO WHOLE TWILIGHT MOVIES TO GO!!!

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 10
RE: Empire Bias - 27/4/2011 10:28:32 PM   
elab49

That's just like shooting whatever you shoot in a barrel that's really easy, though. Anyway - we preemptively ban all the new related Twilight IDs upfront

I'm really looking forward to this. It'll be the Sunday (15?) before I get to see it though.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 11
RE: Empire Bias - 27/4/2011 10:31:11 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

I guess you're right. Also, it may take away Rgirvan44's favourite past-time: making fun of people like Old Pirate.

It helps get me though the summer movie season.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 12
RE: Empire Bias - 27/4/2011 10:31:53 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

That's just like shooting whatever you shoot in a barrel that's really easy, though. Anyway - we preemptively ban all the new related Twilight IDs upfront

I'm really looking forward to this. It'll be the Sunday (15?) before I get to see it though.

I am really looking forward to the film - can't believe it is over ten years since the Adam and Joe Show was on TV.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 13
RE: Empire Bias - 27/4/2011 10:41:43 PM   
elab49

FISH!

That's what you shoot in a barrel!

quote:

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 14
RE: Empire Bias - 27/4/2011 10:51:08 PM   
Rgirvan44

For me it is the twisted journey of logic which makes it all so fun. 

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 15
RE: Empire Bias - 27/4/2011 10:52:45 PM   
bobatim

quote:

FISH!

That's what you shoot in a barrel!

You would say that though, seeing as fish are probably your mates! I doubt you've ever seen a barrell!

Is he died?

www.penultimateuniverse.blogspot.com

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 16
RE: - 27/4/2011 11:50:27 PM   
rich

He may be joking, but then they did give Indy 4 at least two stars too many after a massive number of exclusive articles etc. But their credibility hasnt existed for years so it shouldnt keep getting dragged up like this, the issue is completely stale.

Meanwhile...
Post #: 17
RE: RE: - 27/4/2011 11:53:10 PM   
Rgirvan44

Or it could just be a really good film?

CRAZY I KNOW!?!?

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 18
RE: RE: - 28/4/2011 12:05:47 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

He may be joking, but then they did give Indy 4 at least two stars too many after a massive number of exclusive articles etc. But their credibility hasnt existed for years so it shouldnt keep getting dragged up like this, the issue is completely stale.

I don't know if it's a question of credibility, though.

Whoever reviewed Indiana Jones 4 (Horrible fucking movie) clearly thought it was worthy enough of a 4/5 review. If had been reviewed by someone else who writes for Empire, it may have been a 3/5 movie or a 2/5 movie.

Now, maybe the Empire writer's views on Indiana Jones 4 doesn't correlate with yours, but that's only because film is a subjective medium. The same applies to this thread or any other thread that has evoked such indignant and silly responses.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 28/4/2011 12:08:39 AM >

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 19
RE: - 28/4/2011 12:07:50 AM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

I may well watch the film and form my own opinion,

[image]http://www.chansondelange.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/clapping-gif.gif[/image]

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

Post #: 20
RE: - 28/4/2011 3:07:13 AM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

Apologies if my post caused offence, but I feel quite strongly about this issue. I was a reader of Empire for over a decade and noticed what "I felt" to be a strong bias towards directors who gave them exclusive access and interviews which helped sell the magazine. "In my eyes" mediorcre films were being given strong ratings time and time again. In the end I stopped buying the magaxine for this reason.

Maybe my view is unfounded and moronic, but as you might imagine I am not a regular poster here, so my thoughts on this issue won't trouble you on a regular basis. However, the blatant reference to reviewer bias in the review itself prompted my post.

I may well watch the film and form my own opinion, but whether it is good or not won't justify the countless other occassions where I believe the magazine staff have oversold a release.

Best regards

The thing is though, there isn't a particular bunch of directors who give exclusive access to films. All of them do, because Empire is the biggest film magazine in circulation in the country, and so there's no reason for the state of affairs you describe in your post to exist. There's no advantage to Empire giving a better review, because they're going to get that access again on the next film anyway. You write that you "feel" and "believe" this not to be the case, but that is simply a subjective viewpoint.

All that's happening is that the reviewer's tastes and opinions differ from yours, and that's happened to all of us with various films - even some of Empire's own staff have disagreed vehemently with the magazine's reviews! You talk about Empire overselling films, but their job isn't to sell films. Their job is to give you their opinion - and if as a whole the magazine's views on film don't coincide with your own, time to move on I think, as you seem to be doing. But accusations of them showing bias to "their movie mates" are simply wrong.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

Post #: 21
RE: RE: - 28/4/2011 8:30:36 AM   
matty_b

Case in point - the dude who directed Priest. They slaughtered Legion in their review and STILL get access to his new film. He even brings it up in his interview.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 22
RE: Empire too flippant with their four star reviews an... - 4/5/2011 12:37:46 AM   
NunianVonFuch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Senton

the way he talks about them, oh they stab peopler but their just poor murdering, scared kids aaawww bless and we'll end up quoting them and loving them by the end of the film... oh god bless! what is this really?

Ah they never stab anyone, it's explained in the film quite well. The point is more that the kids are portrayed as people rather than faceless things to be feared. They're still thugs though, it's not sugar-coated! Film was fun and review is spot on. I wouldn't quite gush about it as much but that's splitting hairs. That 2-star Scream 4 review still rankles though, especially if they give this a 4! Probably makes Scream 4 a 5* film on that scale! For a debut film this was very promising and I'll definitely be looking forward to his next.
Post #: 23
RE: Empire too flippant with their four star reviews an... - 4/5/2011 3:41:28 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: NunianVonFuch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Senton

the way he talks about them, oh they stab peopler but their just poor murdering, scared kids aaawww bless and we'll end up quoting them and loving them by the end of the film... oh god bless! what is this really?

Ah they never stab anyone, it's explained in the film quite well. The point is more that the kids are portrayed as people rather than faceless things to be feared.

Fuck that bro they're hoodies and do you know what hoodies do they murder and they shank people and they listen to that awful hippity-hop and they sell drugs in the community and they they they they wear hoodies

Senton, are you familiar with the concept of flawed protagonists?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to NunianVonFuch)
Post #: 24
RE: Empire too flippant with their four star reviews an... - 4/5/2011 4:17:16 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

Apologies if my post caused offence, but I feel quite strongly about this issue. I was a reader of Empire for over a decade and noticed what "I felt" to be a strong bias towards directors who gave them exclusive access and interviews which helped sell the magazine. "In my eyes" mediorcre films were being given strong ratings time and time again. In the end I stopped buying the magaxine for this reason.

Somewhat agree.

quote:

Bollocks, you always give good reviews to your movie mates

He's got a point (everything by Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg, Matthew Vaughn, QT etc..)

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 25
RE: Empire too flippant with their four star reviews an... - 4/5/2011 3:41:04 PM   
pprovazky

Why do you write such a crappy review? Happy me not reading it before seeing it.

lana provazy
provazy lana

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 26
RE: You've got to be joking! - 9/5/2011 4:04:45 PM   
spamandham

A double post from bobby two times. How apt!

Film looks promising and fresh though, innit blood.
Post #: 27
RE: You've got to be joking! - 9/5/2011 4:15:55 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I think I am looking forward to seeing this (I'm definitely going to go) but wondering how long before the "innit" style of talk will start to piss me off.  I've giving it 5 mins at the moment    Does look funny from the trailer though.

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to spamandham)
Post #: 28
RE: You've got to be joking! - 9/5/2011 5:22:28 PM   
superdan

I sometimes wonder if the people who post their 'OMG Empire gets it wrong again!'-style comments (before they've ever seen the film, natch) do the same on reviews on other websites that come to the same conclusion as Empire. Will the people slating the film and review on here then dash off and do the same on, for instance, TimeOut which has also given the film 4 stars?

As for myself, I'm looking forward to seeing this. It looks like fun.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 29
RE: You've got to be joking! - 9/5/2011 5:41:38 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bobby TwoTimes

I've only seen the trailer and I can tell you this film is gonna be totally shit!

God, what a faithful authority you are.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Attack The Block Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI