Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Will the new pilots be any good?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Will the new pilots be any good? Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Will the new pilots be any good? - 10/5/2011 7:19:25 PM   
MI Cruise

CBS are taking a long time announcing renewals for their shows, everyone knows that favourites like CSI and Hawaii Five-O are going to be renewed so whats taking them so long?
I've still got my fingers crossed that The Good Wife also makes it.

< Message edited by MI Cruise -- 10/5/2011 7:20:07 PM >

www.letterboxd.com/micruise1/films/

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 151
RE: Will the new pilots be any good? - 10/5/2011 7:29:20 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Apparently CSI:NY is on shaky ground, which is madness as it's the best one!

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 152
RE: Will the new pilots be any good? - 10/5/2011 7:42:58 PM   
Captain Black

Looking at the ratings, last Friday it got a 1.6, a shade higher than Blue Bloods, but it's in, what, its sixth year now? There's an overhead there when it comes to renewing the actors' contracts (older shows get more expensive, basically) and that counts against it. I think it'll get cancelled and CBS will move either CSI Miami or The Good Wife to Fridays.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 153
RE: Will the new pilots be any good? - 10/5/2011 8:17:34 PM   
MI Cruise

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

Looking at the ratings, last Friday it got a 1.6, a shade higher than Blue Bloods, but it's in, what, its sixth year now? There's an overhead there when it comes to renewing the actors' contracts (older shows get more expensive, basically) and that counts against it. I think it'll get cancelled and CBS will move either CSI Miami or The Good Wife to Fridays.

Well my guess would be that Blue Bloods might get cancelled and that CSI: NY will be saved. The Defenders is also a sure one to get canned. Although it could go either way between Blue Bloods and CSI: NY

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 154
RE: Will the new pilots be any good? - 10/5/2011 8:48:01 PM   
The Mighty

quote:

ORIGINAL: MI Cruise

CBS are taking a long time announcing renewals for their shows, everyone knows that favourites like CSI and Hawaii Five-O are going to be renewed so whats taking them so long? I've still got my fingers crossed that The Good Wife also makes it.

CBS has to leave some announcements for their Upfronts presentation. Out of all the bubble shows, The Good Wife is the one I'm most confident about being picked up. It's overall viewers are very high, and it's the most critically acclaimed show on network television. The Emmy definitely helped, but the Peabody award (the only Peabody won by a non-cable show) sealed the deal IMO.

What does everybody think of Chuck's chances? Last night ended with another series low. I can't imagine NBC sticking with it any longer. I wrote an article about its chances (shameless plug) for The TV Addict

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 155
RE: Will the new pilots be any good? - 11/5/2011 12:09:45 AM   
MI Cruise

Chuck's chances I guess are 50/50, it's one of those shows that are very hard to predict.

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 156
RE: Will the new pilots be any good? - 11/5/2011 7:38:43 AM   
Barefoot Doctor

FOX cancel Chicago Code, Human Target, Lie to Me, Breaking In and Traffic Light.

They've picked up Alcatraz, along with a few others.

Source.

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 157
RE: Will the new pilots be any good? - 11/5/2011 9:18:30 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

It's a shame about Lie To Me, I enjoyed it a lot and thought it still had some legs in it regarding Cals background....

(in reply to Barefoot Doctor)
Post #: 158
RE: Will the new pilots be any good? - 11/5/2011 11:11:13 AM   
MI Cruise

Im not bothered about Lie to Me but I was sooo looking forward to The Chicago Code it's still yet to start on sky1 for us in the UK on Thursday, it's going to be disappointing watching it knowing that even if it is really good there arent going to be any more episodes.

The funny thing with Fox was that these 5 shows were the only ones left to make a decision on, they could have at least saved one of them. Well heres how it stands with Fox - 10 shows renewed and 8 shows cancelled this season.

< Message edited by MI Cruise -- 11/5/2011 11:17:20 AM >

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 159
RE: Will the new pilots be any good? - 11/5/2011 11:21:00 AM   
Zaphod121

Really bummed about The Chicago Code, another great show bites the dust.

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 160
RE: Will the new pilots be any good? - 11/5/2011 12:04:43 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

Im not bothered about Lie to Me but I was sooo looking forward to The Chicago Code it's still yet to start on sky1 for us in the UK on Thursday, it's going to be disappointing watching it knowing that even if it is really good there arent going to be any more episodes.

I was thinking about watching this but I don't think I can be bothered now knowing there won't be a second season. I can watch it whenever if I ever feel the need, which I doubt I will.

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 161
RE: Will the new pilots be any good? - 11/5/2011 12:50:16 PM   
fuzzy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 162
RE: Will the new pilots be any good? - 11/5/2011 1:00:22 PM   
The Mighty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barefoot Doctor

FOX cancel Chicago Code, Human Target, Lie to Me, Breaking In and Traffic Light.

Source.

I enjoyed Human Target, shame to see it go. Very happy with Alcatraz though! FOX has very little room for new pilots now that X Factor will be taking up 2 nights in the Fall, and American Idol returning midseason. It'll be interesting to see what else they pick up.

Post #: 163
RE: Will the new pilots be any good? - 11/5/2011 1:10:46 PM   
MI Cruise

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Mighty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barefoot Doctor

Source.

I enjoyed Human Target, shame to see it go. Very happy with Alcatraz though! FOX has very little room for new pilots now that X Factor will be taking up 2 nights in the Fall, and American Idol returning midseason. It'll be interesting to see what else they pick up.

The news of Alcatraz being picked up was good. Now lets hope it doesnt get cancelled straight away, J.J Abram's other show Undercovers this season was not so lucky

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 164
RE: Will the new pilots be any good? - 11/5/2011 5:12:02 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

Me too, I was enjoying the show. 

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 165
RE: Will the new pilots be any good? - 11/5/2011 5:18:16 PM   
Shifty Bench

Early word is Harry's Law has been renewed and the troubled Law and Order: LA has been axed. Plus, NBC thought the Wonder Woman pilot was good enough to show and have picked up the series.....

Post #: 166
RE: Will the new pilots be any good? - 11/5/2011 5:38:19 PM   
Captain Black

Oh so predictable in its ineptitude from NBC there.

Disappointed about The Chicago Code. Putting my network exec hat on, I'd have guessed that Lie To Me and Human Target where gone, and that Alcatraz has the potential to be a breakout hit (on the assumption that it's at least a good show and well made). I guess they threw a lot of advertising at the Chicago Code and it still didn't attract bigger numbers, so that's the main reason for its cancellation. Again (network hat still very much on), I'd have ordered more episodes and kept it in reserve, especially when Terra Nova is looking so problematic.

Invisiotext:

Post #: 167
RE: Will the new pilots be any good? - 11/5/2011 5:55:24 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

I guess they threw a lot of advertising at the Chicago Code and it still didn't attract bigger numbers, so that's the main reason for its cancellation. Again (network hat still very much on), I'd have ordered more episodes and kept it in reserve, especially when Terra Nova is looking so problematic.

That's what I would have done, too. Gave it a 13 episode second season to see if it could get out the rut then gave it more eps if needed.

Oh, can I just say - poor Christian Slater! The guy isn't having the best luck. Breaking In is the third show of his to be axed, and, they were all on different networks. Maybe he'll have better luck on a cable show.

And I wonder if the axing of Traffic Light has hurt Kris Marshall's career in the US? I have a feeling he was lucky as it is getting that gig.....

Post #: 168
RE: Will the new pilots be any good? - 11/5/2011 6:00:23 PM   
Zaphod121

quote:

ORIGINAL: fuzzy

quote:

What are you, 12?

Cap, Shifty I too was hoping Chicago Code might live on for another 13 episodes well at least we can't say Fox didn't try.

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 169
RE: To cancel or renew - that is the question - 11/5/2011 6:02:31 PM   
MI Cruise

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

I guess they threw a lot of advertising at the Chicago Code and it still didn't attract bigger numbers, so that's the main reason for its cancellation. Again (network hat still very much on), I'd have ordered more episodes and kept it in reserve, especially when Terra Nova is looking so problematic.

That's what I would have done, too. Gave it a 13 episode second season to see if it could get out the rut then gave it more eps if needed.

Oh, can I just say - poor Christian Slater! The guy isn't having the best luck. Breaking In is the third show of his to be axed, and, they were all on different networks. Maybe he'll have better luck on a cable show.

And I wonder if the axing of Traffic Light has hurt Kris Marshall's career in the US? I have a feeling he was lucky as it is getting that gig.....

Im currently watching Breaking In and I have to say it's not that good. After a decent pilot episode the show has been in a rut not really going anywhere and I dont see the point in giving it a second season myself. With only 7 episodes it was short anyway and the final episode will be airing next Wednesday.

< Message edited by MI Cruise -- 11/5/2011 6:04:09 PM >

Post #: 170
RE: Will the new pilots be any good? - 11/5/2011 6:04:42 PM   
Captain Black

I was surprised that Breaking In was killed to be honest, I thought it had solid ratings and critical buzz was resonable. I guess the fear was that it couldn't stand on its own without an American Idol lead in. Slater was actually pretty good in My Own Worst Enemy - it was a massively flawed show, but it was a good vehicle for him. He replaced Rupert Penry Jones on that other one he was in (I can't remember, bet it was 'Unforgettable' or something memorable like that ), so the odds were always stacked against that.

Invisiotext:

Post #: 171
RE: To cancel or renew - that is the question - 11/5/2011 6:13:20 PM   
MI Cruise

quote:

I was surprised that Breaking In was killed to be honest, I thought it had solid ratings and critical buzz was resonable. I guess the fear was that it couldn't stand on its own without an American Idol lead in. Slater was actually pretty good in My Own Worst Enemy - it was a massively flawed show, but it was a good vehicle for him. He replaced Rupert Penry Jones on that other one he was in (I can't remember, bet it was 'Unforgettable' or something memorable like that ), so the odds were always stacked against that.

But haven't you noticed that all the new sitcoms nowadays seem more and more episodic and they dont really go anywhere, with certain sitcoms that do this such as 30 Rock or The Office it's fine because they are really funny but newer sitcoms such as Breaking In, $#*! My Dad Says or Better with You they dont seem to be going anywhere and their cancellation doesnt really surprise nor bother me.

I remember back when the sitcoms such as Friends and Scrubs used to at least have an overall story arc to them, such as Rachel and Ross or J.D and Elliot or something else, so even though their episodes were standalone they were not completely isolated from the story. I admit that some sitcoms still do this in a way such as How I Met Your Mother but the rest that dont shouldnt stay unless they are really funny.

< Message edited by MI Cruise -- 11/5/2011 6:14:59 PM >

Post #: 172
RE: To cancel or renew - that is the question - 11/5/2011 6:58:31 PM   
Captain Black

I don't know really, but I think a bigger problem might be that about four of the new comedies have pretty much the exact same setup with interchangeable components - the group of 4/5/6 friends of a similar age/circumstance.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 173
RE: To cancel or renew - that is the question - 11/5/2011 7:15:00 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: MI Cruise
Im currently watching Breaking In and I have to say it's not that good. After a decent pilot episode the show has been in a rut not really going anywhere and I dont see the point in giving it a second season myself. With only 7 episodes it was short anyway and the final episode will be airing next Wednesday.

I didn't watch it. Still think it's a bit of a shame for Slater though, maybe he should pick better stuff. Like I said, maybe a cable show.

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 174
RE: To cancel or renew - that is the question - 11/5/2011 8:08:21 PM   
matthewforan

I know that has probably already been discussed but I'm so so happy that Fringe has been picked up again.

House has been given an 8th season

Fingers crossed for Chuck, not sure if Supernatural will last though.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

Post #: 175
RE: Will the new pilots be any good? - 11/5/2011 8:09:51 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

Early word is Harry's Law has been renewed and the troubled Law and Order: LA has been axed. Plus, NBC thought the Wonder Woman pilot was good enough to show and have picked up the series.....

This worries me. I was hoping Harry's Law wouldn't make it as it would make Chuck returning more likely...hoping NBC take a 'better the devil you know' attitude with my favourite spy show. Yes, the ratings are poor but they stay near enough the same point - it has a dedicated fanbase that will always watch, and they don't have that guarantee with many other shows...

Post #: 176
RE: Will the new pilots be any good? - 11/5/2011 8:18:11 PM   
Shifty Bench

I know, it worries me too. NBC do like Chuck but I'm scared they think 'it's had enough chances' and can it for good. We should find out soon enough though....

Post #: 177
RE: To cancel or renew - that is the question - 11/5/2011 9:08:15 PM   
Zaphod121

quote:

ORIGINAL: matthewforan

I know that has probably already been discussed but I'm so so happy that Fringe has been picked up again.

House has been given an 8th season

Fingers crossed for Chuck, not sure if Supernatural will last though.

Well we've at least got it for another year.

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 178
RE: To cancel or renew - that is the question - 11/5/2011 11:42:54 PM   
Zaphod121

Not official yet but apparently Chuck season 5 is looking good. http://www.tvline.com/2011/05/breaking-chuck-spies-season-5-pickup/

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 179
RE: To cancel or renew - that is the question - 11/5/2011 11:43:47 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

Great news! Apparently Chuck has been renewed for Season 5.

Mike Ausiello says that while it's not official, it's expected to return for at least 13 episodes.

Happy, happy days.

UPDATE: The even more reliable Deadline reporting it'll be back for 13 episodes.

And Zaphod, you beat me to it! Just!

< Message edited by Barefoot Doctor -- 11/5/2011 11:49:36 PM >

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Will the new pilots be any good? Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI