Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Renew/Cancel?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Renew/Cancel? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Renew/Cancel? - 22/4/2011 11:02:45 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121
Even if he wanted to do Firefly season 2 there's no way could what with Nathan Fillion being on a hit show now.

And if Chuck and V get renewed......

(which is a big 'if', granted, but you never know)

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 22/4/2011 11:03:19 PM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 31
RE: Renew/Cancel? - 22/4/2011 11:13:18 PM   
vad3r

Nathan Fillion's loyalty lies with the browncoats. He would leave Castle in a heartbeat to reunite with Whedon and be one Captail Mal Reynolds again. Castle is pretty much Firefly these days anyway, or at least contains a dozen homages throughout a season.

If there ever was Firefly season 2 it's hard to imagine what will happen to the internet

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 32
RE: Renew/Cancel? - 22/4/2011 11:16:50 PM   
Zaphod121

I'm not sure he COULD though, he probably has somewhere around a 5 or 6 year contract.

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 33
RE: Renew/Cancel? - 22/4/2011 11:18:54 PM   
vad3r

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

Even if he wanted to do Firefly season 2 there's no way could what with Nathan Fillion being on a hit show now.

And if Chuck and V get renewed......

(which is a big 'if', granted, but you never know)

It'll be interesting to see if they're renewed.
Chuck has a loyal fan base, positive critical reception and faces this dilemma every year.
V is more expensive to make and is only on air due to the lack of sci fi shows around, however it is slowly getting better as the show progresses.

quote:

Post #: 34
RE: Renew/Cancel? - 22/4/2011 11:22:43 PM   
vad3r

quote:

I'm not sure he COULD though, he probably has somewhere around a 5 or 6 year contract.

I doubt his contract is that long, and I'm sure there's some sort of clause in it.
Besides, let's not rule out the possibility that maybe he can do BOTH? It works for Alison Brie (Mad Men & Community).

quote:

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 35
RE: Renew/Cancel? - 22/4/2011 11:36:55 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r
I doubt his contract is that long, and I'm sure there's some sort of clause in it.
Besides, let's not rule out the possibility that maybe he can do BOTH? It works for Alison Brie (Mad Men & Community).

If you sign on to lead a TV show, the contract is usually for 5 or 6 seasons, it's all about syndication. And Mad Men is a cable show and Community is on a major network.  You can't be the lead of two shows on two seperate major networks. And that is if a network even wants Firefly now, which is very highly doubtful.

Plus, being the lead in two shows can be tiring. Alison Brie doesn't have that worry.

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 22/4/2011 11:38:31 PM >

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 36
RE: Renew/Cancel? - 22/4/2011 11:49:33 PM   
vad3r

I agree with you say, but I'm sure studios would still want Firefly S2. S1 is one of the best selling TV DVDS ever, the cast is now well known and established, Whedon is more experienced and is recognised as one of the most famous and acclaimed TV creators. Sci Fi, TV and quirky humour is much more popular now than it was when S1 was aired. Also, Firefly is now a pop culture phenomenon that has been referenced directly in many forms.

quote:

Post #: 37
RE: Renew/Cancel? - 22/4/2011 11:53:04 PM   
Shifty Bench

Sorry, but as much as I'd like to see it, I don't agree with you. It doesn't matter if it sold loads of dvds, the film flopped and...here's the rub...nobody watched the show when it was shown the first time. Time has moved on, as have the stars and the creator.

Even if it could happen, Fillion is on Castle, so it can't happen due to that. It's  never going to happen, sorry.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 38
RE: Renew/Cancel? - 23/4/2011 12:12:11 AM   
Shifty Bench

This is odd, on the front page, I tried to click on 'Scream 4 thoughts' in the Reviews forum and I keep get taken to this thread......

Post #: 39
RE: Renew/Cancel? - 23/4/2011 10:20:23 PM   
MI Cruise

I have a feeling that maybe Fox's new show Breaking In will be cancelled although it only has 7 episodes so it doesnt need that many viewers to get renewed. Seen 3 episodes so far and its good for watching Christian Slater and Odette Yustman otherwise the story is meh.

www.letterboxd.com/micruise1/films/
Post #: 40
RE: Renew/Cancel? - 23/4/2011 10:39:44 PM   
vad3r

Anyone know if there's going to be a space sci-fi show like BSG in development? Also, what's the news on the BSG spin-off series Blood & Chrome? When does it air and is anyone excited about it?
I initially had my reservations about Caprica, but ended up enjoying it.

quote:

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 41
RE: Renew/Cancel? - 23/4/2011 10:40:28 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: MI Cruise

I have a feeling that maybe Fox's new show Breaking In will be cancelled although it only has 7 episodes so it doesnt need that many viewers to get renewed. Seen 3 episodes so far and its good for watching Christian Slater and Odette Yustman otherwise the story is meh.

I was a bit thrown that she's changed her surname to Annabele

The Paul Reiser Show has been axed after 2 episodes.

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 23/4/2011 10:41:25 PM >

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 42
RE: Renew/Cancel? - 23/4/2011 11:09:43 PM   
MI Cruise

quote:

quote:

I was a bit thrown that she's changed her surname to Annabele

The Paul Reiser Show has been axed after 2 episodes.

she's married now to some Annabele guy.

Post #: 43
RE: Renew/Cancel? - 23/4/2011 11:19:10 PM   
vad3r

Full list of cancelled shows

The Cape
A mid-season replacment that actually started well enough but ratings floundered quite soon and the show was pulled after only nine of the ten completed episodes were shown. The final episode was an 'online exclusive' on NBC's website.

Chaos
Another mid-season replacement, Chaos boasted a good cast (including Freedy Rodriguez, Tim Blake Nelson and Kurtwood Smith) but that clearly wasn't enough. Of course the fact that it was shunted to a Friday night slot didn't help and it was taken off the air after 3 episodes

Chase
This NBC action series failed to find an audience in the fall and soon saw its episode order cut down, before being pulled from the schedule entirely.

The Good Guys
Debuting over the summer, there wasn't much of an audience for this action-comedy from Matt Nix (Burn Notice). Its fall run on Fridays was DOA and alas, Good Guys is no more.

Life Unexpected
This CW series had a lot of critical support early on, but its numbers were never very strong and even some of its critical backing seemed to ebb in Season 2. Well liked star Britt Roberston has quickly been cast in a new CW pilot, The Secret Circle.

Lone Star
Everyone knew Lone Star was a tough sell, but few expected the well-reviewed FOX series to crash and burn as quickly as it did, becoming the fall's first TV casualty after just two episodes.

Medium
Five seasons on NBC and another two on CBS is nothing to scoff at, but in the face of very diminished ratings, CBS put an end to the Patricia Arquette series.

My Generation
Scorned by most critics and ignored by viewers, this ABC series was an early cancellation in the fall.

Outlaw
This Jimmy Smits legal series' failure to find an audience on Fridays was accentuated by CBS's early success with Blue Bloods.

The Paul Reiser Show
A show that NBC apparently had no faith in, whatsoever, Paul Reiser's return to tv was kept on the shelf for longer than is the norm (almost the full season). It replaced Perfect Couples but actually fared worse causing NBC to axe it after only showing two episodes.

Perfect Couples
Yet another mid-season replacement, Perfect Couples was a half-hour sitcom that NBC aired on Thursday nights from January. The show bombed, having the dubious honour of being the lowest rated scripted series on NBC at the time. It was pulled from the schedules with just two episodes to air.

Running Wilde
We love Arrested Development, but it was hard to deny that the latest collaboration from Mitch Hurwitz and Will Arnett got off to a tough start, creatively. Even as the show began to find its footing in the writing, its steep drop off in the ratings from Running Wilde sealed its fate.

Smallville
After a remarkable ten year run, The CW announced Clark Kent's long journey towards wearing tights and a cape would finally conclude this season.

Undercovers
J.J. Abrams can't hit them all out of the park. The Lost/Alias/Fringe creator's attempt at a more procedural, lighthearted series felt "off" from the beginning for a creator known for cool, mythology-based series, and was mostly ignored by viewers.

The Whole Truth
ABC's legal drama was no doubt another source of frustration for a network who can't seem to launch a 10:00pm hit.

< Message edited by vad3r -- 24/4/2011 3:56:58 PM >

quote:

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 44
RE: Renew/Cancel? - 23/4/2011 11:21:55 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

she's married now to some Annabele guy.

I know, lucky bastard. I'm not angry though because I'm pretty sure I never stood a chance with her

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 45
RE: Renew/Cancel? - 23/4/2011 11:45:20 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

Chase
This NBC action series failed to find an audience in the fall and soon saw its episode order cut down, before being pulled from the schedule entirely.

It has been axed but the remaining episodes will be burned off in a Saturday night slot.

Also Cancelled-
Chaos
The Paul Reiser Show

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 46
RE: Renew/Cancel? - 23/4/2011 11:49:15 PM   
MI Cruise

quote:

quote:

Chase

It has been axed but the remaining episodes will be burned off in a Saturday night slot.

Also Cancelled-
Chaos
The Paul Reiser Show

and The Cape has also been cancelled apparently they were gonna show they last episode online only. Waiting for the DVD of this, only want to watch it because Summer Glau is in the show.

Post #: 47
RE: Renew/Cancel? - 23/4/2011 11:53:19 PM   
Zaphod121

quote:

Anyone know if there's going to be a space sci-fi show like BSG in development? Also, what's the news on the BSG spin-off series Blood & Chrome? When does it air and is anyone excited about it?

I think there filming the movie/pilot but no word on a full series pickup, to me it feels like after Caprica failed they decided to try and cash in on BSG again but this time going with something slightly more similar to the original, is Ron Moore even involved?

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 48
RE: Renew/Cancel? - 23/4/2011 11:54:02 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

and The Cape has also been cancelled apparently they were gonna show they last episode online only. Waiting for the DVD of this, only want to watch it because Summer Glau is in the show.

Ooh, The Cape! I knew there was one missing. Thanks

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 49
RE: Renew/Cancel? - 23/4/2011 11:56:17 PM   
vad3r

quote:

quote:

quote:

Chase

Also Cancelled-
Chaos
The Paul Reiser Show

You've just reminded me that I should make a thread over in Actors for her too.
I think I'm going to pass on blind buying The Cape DVD however. As much as I love sci-fi/fantasy/TV DVDs/Summer Glau, this looks pretty awful and the reviews have all been negative even from techy sites like IGN.

< Message edited by vad3r -- 24/4/2011 12:07:05 AM >

quote:

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 50
RE: Renew/Cancel? - 24/4/2011 12:02:20 AM   
vad3r

Thanks to Shifty and Cruiser I've updated the list to include The Cape, Chaos and The Paul Reiser Show.

Would someone mind trying to find a brief explanation (sentence or two) online on why these three shows were cancelled?
If you find out about any other cancelled shows post it on here and I'll update the list.

quote:

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 51
RE: Which shows are you excited for? - 24/4/2011 12:09:22 AM   
MI Cruise

quote:

Thanks to Shifty and Cruiser I've updated the list to include The Cape, Chaos and The Paul Reiser Show.

Would someone mind trying to find a brief explanation (sentence or two) online on why these three shows were cancelled?
If you find out about any other cancelled shows post it on here and I'll update the list.

In most cases it was due to bad ratings Chaos being cancelled after 3 episodes and as Shifty has mentioned Paul Reiser was cancelled after 2. The Cape was cancelled after 9 episodes with the 10 being shown as an online exclusive.

< Message edited by MI Cruise -- 24/4/2011 12:13:47 AM >

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 52
RE: Which shows are you excited for? - 24/4/2011 12:12:16 AM   
MI Cruise

quote:

quote:

I think there filming the movie/pilot but no word on a full series pickup, to me it feels like after Caprica failed they decided to try and cash in on BSG again but this time going with something slightly more similar to the original, is Ron Moore even involved?

no dont think Moore is involved the show has been created by Michael Taylor and David Eick. Although after Caprica's failure this show will have a lot riding on it, if it also fails then that'll probably be the end of the BSG franchise.

< Message edited by MI Cruise -- 24/4/2011 12:13:18 AM >

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 53
RE: Which shows are you excited for? - 24/4/2011 12:24:47 AM   
vad3r

Yeah Ron Moore has no direct involvement but it is being produced by the producers/writers of shows such as BSG, Caprica, American Gothic and Deep Space 9. So hopefully it should be good.

quote:

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 54
RE: Which shows are you excited for? - 24/4/2011 1:02:46 AM   
Shifty Bench

You should also include Perfect Couples, which was axed too. I've written these for you, they'll make sense once put in alphabetical order-

Perfect Couples
Yet another mid-season replacement, Perfect Couples was a half-hour sitcom that NBC aired on Thursday nights from January. The show bombed, having the dubious honour of  being the lowest rated scripted series on NBC at the time. It was pulled from the schedules with just two episodes to air.

The Paul Reiser Show
A show that NBC apparently had no faith in, whatsoever, Paul Reiser's return to tv was kept on the shelf for longer than is the norm (almost the full season). It replaced Perfect Couples but actually fared worse causing NBC to axe it after only showing two episodes.

Chaos
Another mid-season replacement, Chaos boasted a good cast (including Freedy Rodriguez, Tim Blake Nelson and Kurtwood Smith) but that clearly wasn't enough. Of course the fact that it was shunted to a Friday night slot didn't help and it was taken off the air after 3 episodes.

The Cape
A mid-season replacment that actually started well enough but ratings floundered quite soon and the show was pulled after only nine of the ten completed episodes were shown. The final episode was an 'online exclusive' on NBC's website.

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 55
RE: Which shows are you excited for? - 24/4/2011 4:01:31 PM   
vad3r

Thanks for the fine work Shifty. Updated the list to include Perfect Couples and your write ups.

Anyone know the news on the CBS Sarah Chalke/Jason Biggs How I Met Your Mother style show Mad Love? I heard poor reviews and ratings means it's either already cancelled or heading that way.

quote:

Post #: 56
RE: Which shows are you excited for? - 24/4/2011 6:44:28 PM   
MI Cruise

CBS is happy with Blue Bloods success in America and overseas after selling the show all the over the world. So what does CBS do, yes they fire the creators of the show Mitchell Burgess and Robin Green (The Sopranos), CBS claiming that the show needs to be more procedural are currently looking for new showrunners.

This is obviously another dick move by a big network, CBS runs on nothing but procedural shows and even if this shows gets renewed for season 2 I wouldnt be surprised if it doesnt come back for a third.

< Message edited by MI Cruise -- 24/4/2011 6:45:31 PM >

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 57
RE: Which shows are you excited for? - 24/4/2011 7:02:11 PM   
vad3r

Can't say I'm bothered about Blue Bloods anyway, looks like another cop show featuring Tom Selleck (if that's not an indication of quality I don't know what is).

I've never understood the popularity of procedurals, what's the point of watching a type of show that forgets the last episode ever happened? They all seem to think that the audience has no intelligence or attention span to follow an episodic arc based show. Why do studios always assume that procedurals is where the money is? What about 24, Lost and Prison Break?

It's a shame that there are some procedurals like Bones and Castle that have sharp, funny writing and likeable leads which makes it entertaining to watch. You can only imagine how much more interesting the show can be if it wasn't a procedural.

quote:

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 58
RE: Which shows are you excited for? - 24/4/2011 7:12:03 PM   
MI Cruise

quote:

Can't say I'm bothered about Blue Bloods anyway, looks like another cop show featuring Tom Selleck (if that's not an indication of quality I don't know what is).

I've never understood the popularity of procedurals, what's the point of watching a type of show that forgets the last episode ever happened? They all seem to think that the audience has no intelligence or attention span to follow an episodic arc based show. Why do studios always assume that procedurals is where the money is? What about 24, Lost and Prison Break?

It's a shame that there are some procedurals like Bones and Castle that have sharp, funny writing and likeable leads which makes it entertaining to watch. You can only imagine how much more interesting the show can be if it wasn't a procedural.

well its just the sad truth, procedurals is where the money is at, shows such as NCIS are extremely popular, in fact NCIS is one show that has been rising in ratings since it started back in 2003. The thing with big serial shows such as Lost or Boardwalk Empire is that they cost millions and they dont really get good ratings, therefore a show such as Boardwalk Empire on Camelot may be good for a cable channel like HBO or Starz however channels such as Fox or ABC want to see results if they are to invest in that much money, this is the reason why so many good shows get cancelled even if they have a loyal fan following, its just that not that many people are watching it. Plus procedurals allow the audience the opportunity to drop in and out of the show without worrying about having to follow the story.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 59
RE: Which shows are you excited for? - 24/4/2011 7:19:53 PM   
Shifty Bench

I like Blue Bloods and Tom Selleck is the best thing in it.

That is all

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Renew/Cancel? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI