Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Thor

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Thor Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Thor - 17/12/2011 3:15:43 PM   
Tech_Noir

Loved it.

I wasn't expecting the film to be so entertaining and moving and the film once again reminds me that a good score (especially a catchy main theme) can really lift any film.

< Message edited by Tech_Noir -- 17/12/2011 5:17:38 PM >

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 91
Thor Review - 19/12/2011 2:10:45 PM   
the film man

A dazzling blockbuster that tempers its sweeping scope with wit, humor, and human drama, Thor is mighty Marvel entertainment.

Post #: 92
RE: Thor Review - 29/12/2011 6:12:24 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

This was a solid three star film and no more - while Asgard was beautifully realised and the effects were great these elements are a given in this day and age so cannot raise a film anymore.

The story was pretty lame IMO, the Ice Giants were completely dull and the only really interesting part of it was Loki's connection to them.

The whole hot-headed trip by Thor and his mates to go to the Ice Giant's planet was plain dumb and just a badly contrived set up for the banishment and everything that transpired afterwards. It made no sense on any level, what did they really expect would happen? Aren't these the same enemies who killed loads of Asgardians - it made Thor look like a muscle bound moron.

Chris Hemsworth was pretty unmemorable in the role and in terms of acting what really stood out was how two top class female actresses in Rene Russo and Natalie Portman were completely wasted, the latter reduced to fawning after Thor.

It was still a decent movie but I really expected more considering the way some film goers have reacted to it.

(in reply to the film man)
Post #: 93
RE: Thor Review - 29/12/2011 6:16:57 PM   
The Big Guy

Thor was one of the most interesting comic-book movies of the year. Captain America was frankly disappointing, but Thor managed to have the more outlandish storyline grounded in something real. After his turn in Star Trek and now this, Chris Hemsworth is one to watch.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 94
- 4/1/2012 8:12:08 PM   
Turd Ferguson

Incredible movie. This is probably the best superhero/comic book character adaptation that I have seen. Loved it, as did the little lady. Just tons of fun!

Post #: 95
One of the Best! - 12/1/2012 10:33:59 PM   
dannyfletch

Thor has got to be one of the best marvel characters and here Kenneth Brannagh has done an excellent job of transfering him to the big screen. The cast are all spot on with Chris Hemsworth particularly impressive in his first big lead role. Anthony Hopkins is great as Odin too and it looks like he's relishing the role and happy to be playing a better role than some of his recent offerings. One of the best superhero movies, Thor is definatley one I will watch over and over.

Post #: 96
Thor a Welcome Surprise - 23/2/2012 11:11:07 PM   
lynnshep

What a great film? Awesome film. Well acted and well directed. Branagh delivers. Hemsworth is great and Hiddleston is a revelation. Can't wait for the Avengers?

Post #: 97
Thor - 12/3/2012 11:21:26 AM   
neopol

Yet another trailer for this yearís up and coming superhero mash-up, The Avengers arrived last summer. Sorry, I must have gotten confused. This was the long-awaited Thor movie, though it was hard to tell. This filmís trailer suggested that Thor would be banished from his celestial home, Asgard and sent to Earth where he would become a superhero. This wasnít essentially the case, as more often film seems to be set in Asgard than Earth and most of the Earth stuff revolved around setting up Thorís place in The Avengers line up.

The effects are good, as are the performances, with the unknown to me, Branaghís protegť, Tom Huddleston as Loki, standing out, but there wasnít much in it as much of the cast were good. But I felt that Kenneth Branagh wasnít as comfortable with subject matter nor the production values of a 3D superhero blockbuster as he needed to be. Having said that, thereís no doubt that this was an entertaining film and the scenes on Earth, particularly with a moralised Thor, who still spoke and acted like the god he once was, regardless of the fact that he had no powers whatsoever, were definitely funny, but the sci-fi element was very pronounced and I donít know how well this will translate with casual fans like myself.

Iíve always thought of superheroes as being Like Superman, Batman and Spiderman, Having powers or abilities but primarily being of Earth, though Superman wasnít. But even though he was an alien, it wasnít rubbed in your face. He left his planet and Earth was his home. This wasnít the case here as Thor will be a visitor to Earth when needed, apparently.

I am keen to see how this continues but whether or not this works hinges dubiously on the success or failure of The Avengers later this summer and I donít know if this will work. If it does, it will mark a significant change in the film industry, allowing several films to be sacrificed to market another, as has happened with Iron Man 2, Captain America and Thor, which I personally this is a mistake but time will tell.

As for this, it is good, enjoyable and a decent enough addition to genre.

< Message edited by neopol -- 12/3/2012 11:29:01 AM >

Visit my movie blog, nEoFILM @ http://neofilm.wordpress.com/

Post #: 98
It was Okay - 8/5/2012 11:36:17 AM   
mentat72

visually stunning, plotwise it was okay, but the emotional stuff didn't quite gel. Perhaps it's just because I can't empathise with any role that Natalie Portman plays (sorry, it's a strange affliction, but it's true).

Post #: 99
Thor - 24/6/2012 3:27:36 AM   
norgizfox

Thor is too long with a script that feels like a television series pilot. But the off-beat humor and striking FX will keep most entertained. Especially lovers of superheroes and Greek mythology.

Post #: 100
SURPRISINGLY GOOD! - 22/7/2012 1:09:37 PM   
chrisdagnall

HEMSWORTH FITS THE BILL WELL, PORTMAN IS GREAT AND ITS A TOP, FUN CHOICE FOR A SATURDAY NIGHT MOVIE....

Post #: 101
Entertaining - 7/2/2013 11:30:11 PM   
Mr Gittes

Not great, but good. Better than I thought it would be and Hemsworth is a very good choice for Thor.

Post #: 102
Thor is a FOOL. Loki was the hero. - 27/2/2013 11:55:17 AM   
LegoLoki

This film tells the tragic tale of an attractive, cunning man who sets out to save a kingdom from the reign of his idiotic brother, but is undermined by the lies and betrayal of others.

The cast of this film is utterly perfect. Tom Hiddleston is impeccable as the handsome and intelligent god Loki, while Chris Hemsworth perfectly captures the idiocy and gluttony of the ill mannered, dunderheaded god, Thor.

Anthony Hopkins is faultless in the role of the evil, lying, MAD MAN that is Odin Allfather; Rene Russo is wonderful as the gentle, caring, but equally deceitful Frigga, and Natalie Portman delivers a wonderful performance as the mortal, Jane Foster. I hope in the sequel Loki gets to ‘pay her a visit’ because SHE DESERVES EVERYTHING SHE GETS!

The actors who play Thor’s friends are equally well cast; especially Jaimie Alexander who is wonderful as Sif and easily portrays her nasty, TREASONOUS ways. Josh Dallas also deserves a special mention for his wonderful portrayal of the sleazy, slimy Fandral.

To sum up: A wonderful and faithful version of the Marvel comic books, with great special effects. You will laugh at the PATHETIC villain, Thor, as he makes mistake after mistake among the mortals, you will boo and hiss at his poisonous minions the warriors three, and you will you will weep for our tragic hero Loki.

I award this film 5 stars.

Post #: 103
- 6/12/2013 8:27:56 PM   
smakris04

Somehow sympathetic adaptation of Disney's Hercules (1997) into a movie with elements of Norse mythology and somewhat Marvel comic book.
I feel empire is been bought by Marvel because I read all these "reviews" and then go watch the movie and I'm thinking am I going mad?
Poor dialogue, okay story, great performances and really safe directing.

Post #: 104
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Thor Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI