Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Whosoever scripted this film is unworthy of wielding the power to make it

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Whosoever scripted this film is unworthy of wielding the power to make it Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Whosoever scripted this film is unworthy of wieldin... - 6/5/2011 3:57:07 PM   
Drone

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan
it doesn't take itself too seriously, which allows some excruciating dialogue to sound amusing rather than grating, but it doesn't stray into camp comedy either, which allows for some quite dramatic scenes.

Really well said.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mindwick

There are basically two parts to the film. One part is the scheming, intricacies and political considerations in Asgard along with the battles they lead to. All this is directly out of the comic book and it is serious, interesting, exciting and generally pretty good. The other part is Thor on earth with his newfound whacky friends, silly preadolescent jokes and the love interest. This part is simply put ridiculous, childish, boring and has nothing to do with the comic book. Once again, the comic book is more mature and serious than the movie.
The infuriating part of this all is that many film reviewers, not acquainted with the comic book, assumed and wrote in their reviews that these silly parts were the "comic booky ones” and were relieved that such a wonderful presence as Mr. Kenneth Branagh was in charge to save the day and give the film a mature plot in Asgard with the actors there speaking the "Queen's English.” The fact of the matter is that all these good parts came out directly from the comic book and Branagh merely simplified them, assuming that the audience is not smart enough to keep up with the complexities of the comic book's plots. And as for the English, here's the laugh. In the comic book the gods speak good English and use exclusively old English pronouns (thou, thine, etc). Not so in Mr. Branagh's endeavor. Here the language is casual everyday English. Mayhap his Shakespearian background didn't rub off on him or is it he just didn't consider the audience of a superhero movie worthy of such speech? The fact is that the unsung creators of the Thor comic books come up with more mature, more adult story lines and better English than Mr. Branagh.
Certain genres of film allow the viewer to know what he can expect from the film. Romance, horror and spy films all conform to certain standards. Not so with the fantasy-adventure genre. This type of film differs on the childish-adult oriented scal

I get so very, very tired of the "comic book crowd" complaining about things like this.  I have absolutely zero interest in comic books, as do the mass maority of the audience who will make this film a success - translating a comic book faithfully onto the screen nine times out of ten would result in a far less entertaining movie, and you know what?  That's fine by me, I really don't care what minute inaccuracy contradicts what happened in issue zillion page three hundred, of the such and such a special, Thor versus zygragrnagrtbagrba and so on,  it's a good movie and I, like most, dont give a damn how it reflects on the "comics".  

Don't give me the age old "I guess it has to be dumbed down to appeal to the masses who wouldn't understand it blah blah."  It's a paper thin argument and is simply applied to ANYTHING you don't like, I've illustrated it on here a trillion times.

I don't care that the comics are more serious.  Maybe it would have made a better movie - or, maybe not.  The fact is, the finished result for someone like me, who cold care less about that sort of thing, loved the film.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 61
RE: Whosoever scripted this film is unworthy of wieldin... - 6/5/2011 8:18:27 PM   
KeithM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drone
I get so very, very tired of the "comic book crowd" complaining about things like this...

Ahem:

quote:

ORIGINAL: KeithM

...as a long-time reader of Thor (since about 1971)...

quote:

Let me cut to the chase quick sharp and tell you my reaction when the movie ended... "That was effin' brilliant!" (I won't try to replicate the rather girlish giggle that came with it)

Branagh really has done wonders here. The film is entertaining, exciting, funny, emotionally engaging and just a whole lot of fun.

<snip>

Best Marvel movie yet? Possibly. My favourite so far, for sure.

9/10

Judging from the reaction on many of the 'comic-book crowd' hang-outs, that guy doesn't speak for the majority. Of course you always get the impossible-to-please types like our friend, but for the most part, in all humility, my reaction is closer to how the 'real' fans are taking the film I'd say. Like you with bells on.

< Message edited by KeithM -- 6/5/2011 8:19:20 PM >

(in reply to Drone)
Post #: 62
RE: Good but.... - 7/5/2011 2:22:34 AM   
hatebox

Shallow as hell but decent enough fun. The Asgard/Earth back and forth almost killed it, but Hemsworth and Hiddleston just about kept things watchable.

3/5
Post #: 63
RE: Whosoever scripted this film is unworthy of wieldin... - 7/5/2011 8:39:19 PM   
Mindwick

This part was cut off from my original post: Certain genres of film allow the viewer to know what he can expect. Romance, horror and spy films conform to certain standards. Not so with the fantasy-adventure genre. It’s anyone’s guess what such a film is going to be like. It could have silly jokes, kids with pets, goofy sidekicks and be lighthearted or, instead, it could be a serious take like Lord of the Rings. Some liked the silly elements of Thor because they provided “entertainment value.” Some actually liked Jar Jar in Star Wars and complained about Lord of the Rings being unentertaining. So it’s to be expected that there will be more disagreement about whether a fantasy-adventure film is good as opposed to a horror, romance or spy film, where there’s more consensus. Some would be happy to see Thor juggle watermelons. I wouldn’t.
The real point of my piece was that I’d like it if half (not all) the films of this type were like the Terminator, X-Men or Iron Man films: presented with a straight face with some well-placed humor that was smart, not infuriatingly childish (like the Fantastic 4). But the idea that, as a norm, fantasy-adventure films have to cater, first and foremost, to children so as to convince them to subsequently buy the video game does not bode well for the future of this genre. Ghost Rider was a good film that was damaged by the insertion of ridiculous humor that was meant to lighten the atmosphere of a film that should have been dark in order to be effective. The most poignant moment of that film (the protagonist’s confession of what he has become) is turned into a gag. I’m not saying these films should carry the symbolism/complexity of Tarkovsky or Antonioni. But the makers of X-Men and Iron Man did a better job than Branagh (and the deleted scenes of these films add further quality).

(in reply to Drone)
Post #: 64
RE: Good dumb fun (as opposed to Fast Five which is jus... - 8/5/2011 10:04:59 AM   
CORLEONE

Enjoyable. Especially loved the bits where Thor is acting godly on Earth, when he's been mortalised. Branagh's done well here. 3.5 stars.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".
Post #: 65
RE: ‘BY Odin’s beard,’ as Ron Burgundy might say, ‘a Th... - 8/5/2011 4:47:20 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: Citizen Dildo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

Great movie really enjoyed, both the acting and script were extremely impressive and the chemistry between the characters was great. Very impressed by Hemsworth but Hiddleton's Loki defo stole the show for me, very good performance perfectly displaying Loki's manipulative nature. Looking forward to the Cap A and The Avengers now.

Does anyone know are their plans for a Thor 2 after the Avengers?

Think any solo sequels are going to be based on how well these films do at the box office, Iron Man 3 is the only confirmed one at the moment and while seeds are probably sewn for the next story unless Thor is a big hit I don't think he'll be seen again on screen outside of The Avengers. Incredible Hulk should have had a sequel by now but because it made about half as much as Iron Man I don't think Marvel consider it a strong enough solo property anymore so are just tying him into The Avengers (and producing a new TV show about him), expect the same for Thor and Cap if they don't bust blocks.

More sequel news - http://www.hitfix.com/articles/surprise-sequels-for-thor-and-captain-america-on-the-way

Sounds good to me, not having read the comics I don't know what other villains further installments can offer up but I will gladly watch more Thor and hopefully I'll feel the same about Captain America

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to Citizen Dildo)
Post #: 66
RE: Thor - 8/5/2011 5:41:00 PM   
Biggus

Without doubt the most difficult balancing act Marvel have yet faced is to bring their fantasy/superhero crossover character Thor to the big screen. And as part 3 of 4 in Marvel's quest to bring the Avengers to the masses not only does Thor have to stand on its own two feet but it also has to fit comfortably into the cinematic universe already created by Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk before it.
Thankfully due to an inspired choice of director, a great cast and solid story, Thor rises to the challenge and knocks it out of the park. With a big hammer.

Kenneth Branagh makes his first foray into the big-budget FX arena and takes like a duck to water, bringing the visual spectacle he usually reserves for Shakespeare and transplanting it to the mythical realm of Asgard, home of the Gods. The sense of grandieur evoked with the sweeping shots of this other-world perfectly compliments the verbal and physical showdowns which take place therein. The scenes between Thor, his brother Loki and their father Odin could quite easily descend into shouting contests loud enough to match their costumes however Branagh's handle on the material and the conviction of the lead actors ensure that proceedings stay on the right side of credible.

Chris Hemsworth couldn' t have been better cast in the title role. He captures Thor's arrogance and drive in the earlier scenes very well and the character's story arc, while not particularly surprising or original, is convincing. The culminating moment when Thor reclaims his beloved hammer Mjolnir is genuinely thrilling. Tom Hiddleston's Loki is probably the strongest performance in the film and in a role that could have easily been characterised by cliched, sneering villainy, Hiddleston nails the anger and scheming ambition to create an antagonist worthy of the God of thunder.

Meanwhile down on Earth there is a trio of scientists led by Natalie Portman's Jane who get caught up in the inter-dimensional bust-up and the ensuing relationship which develops between her and Thor has enough heart and humour to get the viewer's buy-in.

The film's real strength lies in the fact that unlike Iron Man and Hulk, Thor feels like a complete movie, well balanced with a proper beginning, middle and end. Couple this with performances strong enough to match the (let's be blunt) ballsy attempt to bring the source material to life and, lo and behold, the comic-book adaptation with the most potential for being a major Marvel slip-up turns into one of its most satisfying triumphs.

< Message edited by Biggus -- 8/5/2011 5:43:21 PM >

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 67
RE: Thor - 10/5/2011 11:38:37 AM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Biggus

Without doubt the most difficult balancing act Marvel have yet faced is to bring their fantasy/superhero crossover character Thor to the big screen. And as part 3 of 4 in Marvel's quest to bring the Avengers to the masses not only does Thor have to stand on its own two feet but it also has to fit comfortably into the cinematic universe already created by Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk before it.
Thankfully due to an inspired choice of director, a great cast and solid story, Thor rises to the challenge and knocks it out of the park. With a big hammer.

Kenneth Branagh makes his first foray into the big-budget FX arena and takes like a duck to water, bringing the visual spectacle he usually reserves for Shakespeare and transplanting it to the mythical realm of Asgard, home of the Gods. The sense of grandieur evoked with the sweeping shots of this other-world perfectly compliments the verbal and physical showdowns which take place therein. The scenes between Thor, his brother Loki and their father Odin could quite easily descend into shouting contests loud enough to match their costumes however Branagh's handle on the material and the conviction of the lead actors ensure that proceedings stay on the right side of credible.

Chris Hemsworth couldn' t have been better cast in the title role. He captures Thor's arrogance and drive in the earlier scenes very well and the character's story arc, while not particularly surprising or original, is convincing. The culminating moment when Thor reclaims his beloved hammer Mjolnir is genuinely thrilling. Tom Hiddleston's Loki is probably the strongest performance in the film and in a role that could have easily been characterised by cliched, sneering villainy, Hiddleston nails the anger and scheming ambition to create an antagonist worthy of the God of thunder.

Meanwhile down on Earth there is a trio of scientists led by Natalie Portman's Jane who get caught up in the inter-dimensional bust-up and the ensuing relationship which develops between her and Thor has enough heart and humour to get the viewer's buy-in.

The film's real strength lies in the fact that unlike Iron Man and Hulk, Thor feels like a complete movie, well balanced with a proper beginning, middle and end. Couple this with performances strong enough to match the (let's be blunt) ballsy attempt to bring the source material to life and, lo and behold, the comic-book adaptation with the most potential for being a major Marvel slip-up turns into one of its most satisfying triumphs.

Personally I think it stuck to the same kind of formula as Iron Man and Hulk - none of them end on a cliffhanger but they all clearly close as being the first chapters of a larger story. I know that was always Marvel's intention and it's been planned but even without knowing what they're doing with these characters I think it's hard to see them as being self contained films.

If I've got one complaint about Thor (other than the 3D) it's that I would have liked to be surprised a bit more; I enjoy these films a lot and as an ex-superhero comic reader I'm really looking forward to The Avengers and sequels but at the same time the stories feel quite interchangable. I guess that's the price for how the series' have been planned and that the 3 mentioned are all vaguely origin films so there's a tried and tested formula. Still, it's a minor quibble and as a fanboy I don't really mind as the film has left me wanting more.

Anyway, I agree that Thor was probably Marvel's toughest sell so far and Branagh, the writers and cast nailed it

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 68
RE: Thor - 10/5/2011 3:19:52 PM  1 votes
Deviation

I was personally a tad disappointed. I have no idea what Kate Denning's character purpose in the entire thing was, aside from dropping product placement. It's also rather predictable and generic, doesn't try to do something not by-the-numbers or predictable. The Earth scenes come out as rather uninteresting. At the end no matter how fun it can be, it's just another generic superhero movie (with a bizarrely by-the-numbers Doyle soundtrack), sadly so as I had hopes for something unique with Branagh as a director. The names in the writing crew should have it obvious though.

Much, much, much better than the utter turd that was The Incredible Hulk though.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 69
RE: Thor - 10/5/2011 5:20:58 PM   
darth silas

Not as good as Iron Man or The Incredible Hulk but its a decent comic book blockbuster.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 70
RE: Thor - 11/5/2011 3:30:16 AM   
Coyleone

Meh, it was ok. Some very good scenes but it felt really lacking of any tension or sense of danger, the CGI was awful in places and the costumes didn't look too good. The parts with Thor on Earth were the highlights for me as well and Hemsworth was very good and likeable. A decent enough time at the cinema. 3/5

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 71
RE: Thor - 11/5/2011 10:41:22 AM   
klause

It suffers from saggy middle section syndrome. Starts off at breakneck pace and then slows down to a crawl. It could have done with another big set piece. Overall it was entertaining and the 3D is actually pretty good in places.

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 72
RE: Thor - 11/5/2011 8:28:48 PM   
white mage

Saw this the other day and loved it. Chris Hemsworth was great as Thor and Natalie Portman was a fitting, likable love interest as Janet. The special effects were very impessive. I remember reading in a past Empire magizine were they were speculating whether Thor could be made, well Kenneth Branagh proved them all wrong.  

< Message edited by white mage -- 11/5/2011 8:29:49 PM >

We do not write the songs, we live them

(in reply to klause)
Post #: 73
RE: Thor - 12/5/2011 4:01:49 AM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Biggus

The film's real strength lies in the fact that unlike Iron Man and Hulk, Thor feels like a complete movie, well balanced with a proper beginning, middle and end.

I don't know about this - I think Iron Man works perfectly fine as a standalone film.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 74
RE: Thor - 12/5/2011 11:45:12 AM   
NCC1701A

Enjoyed this a lot good perfomances from the cast. Great visual effects as well and director Kenneth Branagh really surprised me by deliverling a fun film and he handles the action set-pieces with ease. Thor is more the worth a watch and it has raised the bar for not only super hero movies but the rest of this years summer blockbusters.

4/5

< Message edited by NCC1701A -- 12/5/2011 11:46:09 AM >

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 75
RE: Thor - 14/5/2011 8:10:05 PM   
Private Hudson

I thought Thor was enjoyable but perhaps 2 or 3 stars. Not a classic.

Asgard was impressive as was Loki and naturally Natalie Portman is quite simply a wee cracker. Hopkins as Odin was underused though.

The plot was dafter than Gazza but the bits on Earth were good.

BTW I also think Iron Man worked very well as a stand alone movie.

Oh well here's hoping Captain America is good. I also have a suspicion that The Avengers may end up being a great big dud.

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 76
RE: Thor - 15/5/2011 1:47:43 PM   
Pop Peelings

Seems like a lot of people are talking up Thor simply because it wasn't complete shit.

Fact is, a little too much of it took place in a CGI world we have no reason to give a shit about. It also lacked a decent big action pay-off at the end. When it ended, I felt I could have sat through another 20-30 minutes or so for something decent.

http://poppeelings.wordpress.com

Remembering old music and movies – and doing a disservice to them both

Twitter = @poppeelings

(in reply to Private Hudson)
Post #: 77
RE: Thor - 15/5/2011 3:10:38 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pop Peelings

Seems like a lot of people are talking up Thor simply because it wasn't complete shit.

Fact is, a little too much of it took place in a CGI world we have no reason to give a shit about. It also lacked a decent big action pay-off at the end. When it ended, I felt I could have sat through another 20-30 minutes or so for something decent.

No "fact" about it, that, my friend, is merely your opinion.

(in reply to Pop Peelings)
Post #: 78
RE: Thor - 15/5/2011 3:44:22 PM   
Pop Peelings

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

Perhaps... it was a good two-thirds though from what I remember.

Nice site you have there though!

http://poppeelings.wordpress.com

Remembering old music and movies – and doing a disservice to them both

Twitter = @poppeelings

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 79
RE: Thor - 15/5/2011 4:25:54 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

Perhaps... it was a good two-thirds though from what I remember.

Nice site you have there though!

Thanks! I liked Thor a lot tho, so hopefully you won't hold that too much against me!

(in reply to Pop Peelings)
Post #: 80
RE: Thor - 16/5/2011 5:53:02 AM   
Mike_003

The blend of action and comedy was good enough. But the movie lost out on its script, it had many weaknesses in the story line, as the the climax , the plot doesn't grabbed the attention of the audience to that level.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 81
RE: Thor - 18/5/2011 2:40:36 AM   
stef3

Purely went to the cinema to get out of the house for a few hours on a Sunday afternoon. Picked the film out by random as I have to admit that I like superhero films but just as a casual viewer. Not a comic book person at all and really didn't know anything about Thor as part of a comic book at all. Didn't even see a trailer for it-which I usually do before going to see a movie but just went to see something new and the pirates series was one I abandoned ages ago. So make it be clear that I had exactly zero expectations for the film and was using the cinema to just relax for a while.

It was brilliant! Totally loved every second-it could so easily have descended into camp with all the capes and all the alien royalty using near medieval english but it didn't and I really have to say bravo to the director and the cast. It was not on the level of The Dark knight but really how many action films are up on that level? This was a great film that stood up on its own fit and developed its own identity.

This film is the kind that the actors could just use to to snooze by and just take the money and run. Anthony hopkins is a great actor but I think he has done a few films just reading the lines. Nobody is going to win any oscars here but he really invested his role with great majesty and you could see the relationships between the father and his sons.

Chris Hemsworth-wow-his role could have been the cheesiest thing ever but he sold it emotionally as the arrogant son that comes (literally) down to earth. Had a wonderful presence with buckets full of charisma and thoroughly sold me with the angsty dark aspects and the comedy (the pet shop scene) Tom Hiddleston was just great as the villain-throughout the film I was jumping between being sure he was the villain and then changing my opinion which is a surefire sign that he was not a cardboard villain that comicbook films usually have. Very subtle ambivalent acting which in another film would have been drawn in pure broad strokes and made to be very obvious but not here. He would have been a great politician, wouldn't he?

Natalie Portman could have done the role in her sleep but she sold the character in what could have been a bland anodyne role that could have been mere background. The whole relationship was so believable to me and developed organically in what could have been a big pile of slushiness. Kat dennings as Darcy and Selvig were just a great team adding levity to the film. Agent Coulson ("son of coul"!) whom I remember from the iron man series was really great as a personality in this as the secret agent in charge of confiscating evidence and interrogating him-but all the way through he seemed a very benevolent presence-not willing to kill Thor but clever enough to have him followed.Really enjoyed him and look forward to seeing him in the other films.

Which brings me on to my next point-I stuck around to the end of the credits and saw clip at the end with Samuel L. Jackson. This intrigued me and I hopped on the internets when I got home. Got the full story on the marvel universe of movies that started from Iron man which has passed me by as I am only a casual viewer and not full on comic book lover. I was aware of the Avengers movie as I love Joss Whedon but really just had the flimsiest of ideas of what it was about and what it would entail.

But now I am fully hooked in because of this one film and comic book idea and love the idea of a shared universe. I knew before that occasionally in comic books other heroes would visit and pair up but has this idea ever been done before in the movies? Just love the circularity, a shared timeline and the references of it as a new fan and I can only imagine how a fully aware and paid up comic book fan feels with seeing the references to Stark and the cube in this movie which encompass two separate other comic book heroes storylines. It feels all very ambitious with a broad scope for success or failure and only now knowing that the Thor universe is shared by other more modern heroes who are helped by technology can I fully appreciate the script here for making what could have been passed over as magic just another kind of advanced technology and science and the gods advanced aliens worshipped as gods by primitive cultures. They even mentioned Arthur C Clarkes third rule which I loved.

Ok I have turned into a fangirl and sorry for the rant but all it takes is one hit to suck you in. Thought that applied to addictive substances but it also applies to films for me. Marvel studios managed exactly what they set out to do-make a fan and make me anxious for Captain America and X men. Five stars from me!

< Message edited by stef3 -- 18/5/2011 4:42:36 PM >

Post #: 82
RE: Thor - 19/5/2011 12:19:20 PM   
Filmfan 2

I thought it was bloody great fun.

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to stef3)
Post #: 83
RE: Thor - 4/10/2011 2:32:00 AM   
Spaldron

Really surprised at how much I enjoyed this. I kinda thought it would be just another throwaway Marvel film but turns out it had a whole load of heart and some stirring action. CGI was superb as was the score. However did anyone else think that this was near identical to Masters of the Universe but with a bigger budget (and a better script obv)?

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 84
- 10/10/2011 11:55:59 PM   
maisiex

Much better than expected.

Post #: 85
GOD OH GOD! - 16/10/2011 12:27:45 AM   
Ciaran McDaid

Thor was a some god!!!!!!!

Post #: 86
Oh My God! - 20/10/2011 9:03:46 PM   
richiebrum1974

This has to be the worse superhero movie I have ever seen. Yes its pretty close to the crap Spiderman 3!
It was boring, the characters shallow and underdeveloped, the script was crap, Chris Henworth is very easy on the eye but just didn't give a very convincing performance.
The only good thing was the city scapes but other than that don't rush out and see this film.
This film needs more than a thunderbolt to energise it!

Post #: 87
RE: Thor - 8/12/2011 4:16:52 PM   
Pencilton Phoenix

yeah. It seems as though they used the budget in interesting ways. They filmed all the earth scenes in that set in New Mexico. It looked really makeshift and was seemingly random in many ways. They saved a lot of money by not filming in a city. I wonder how many millions they shaved off the budget because besides that scene, was it all just green screen and a few interiors? I think Branagh did the emotional stuff well, Hopkins and Hemsworth were particularly strong, despite Hiddlestons unique villain. The girls were hot, Portman and Dennings, wow. Better than Cap A, Hulk, first class by a whisker, and green lantern by a longshot.

On the soundtrack, you just don't hear those iconic film scores anymore do you? It's not as if Williams is dead, give him a call. Burtons Batman had a great one too. Of course Supes is iconic. None of these modern ones have a musical theme that creates so much excitement. Maybe i'm getting too old.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 88
RE: Thor - 8/12/2011 4:20:05 PM   
Pencilton Phoenix

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

Really surprised at how much I enjoyed this. I kinda thought it would be just another throwaway Marvel film but turns out it had a whole load of heart and some stirring action. CGI was superb as was the score. However did anyone else think that this was near identical to Masters of the Universe but with a bigger budget (and a better script obv)?

Yes, and without a villain as dark as Skeletor. I'm still hoping that they'll revive He Man. The characters are just so cool.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 89
- 15/12/2011 1:15:00 PM   
AntGC

Lol at Thor "I NEED A HORSE" Pet shop owner "We only sell cats, dogs etc" Thor "THEN GIVE ME ONE WHICH IS BIG ENOUGH TO RIDE"

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Whosoever scripted this film is unworthy of wielding the power to make it Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI