Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: ĎBY Odinís beard,í as Ron Burgundy might say, Ďa Thor adaptation that sucketh not!í

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: ĎBY Odinís beard,í as Ron Burgundy might say, Ďa Thor adaptation that sucketh not!í Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: ĎBY Odinís beard,í as Ron Burgundy might say, Ďa Th... - 27/4/2011 9:36:57 PM   
musht

Great movie really enjoyed, both the acting and script were extremely impressive and the chemistry between the characters was great. Very impressed by Hemsworth but Hiddleton's Loki defo stole the show for me, very good performance perfectly displaying Loki's manipulative nature. Looking forward to the Cap A and The Avengers now.

Does anyone know are their plans for a Thor 2 after the Avengers?

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to rayhiggins)
Post #: 31
RE: ĎBY Odinís beard,í as Ron Burgundy might say, Ďa Th... - 28/4/2011 10:05:54 AM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

Great movie really enjoyed, both the acting and script were extremely impressive and the chemistry between the characters was great. Very impressed by Hemsworth but Hiddleton's Loki defo stole the show for me, very good performance perfectly displaying Loki's manipulative nature. Looking forward to the Cap A and The Avengers now.

Think any solo sequels are going to be based on how well these films do at the box office, Iron Man 3 is the only confirmed one at the moment and while seeds are probably sewn for the next story unless Thor is a big hit I don't think he'll be seen again on screen outside of The Avengers. Incredible Hulk should have had a sequel by now but because it made about half as much as Iron Man I don't think Marvel consider it a strong enough solo property anymore so are just tying him into The Avengers (and producing a new TV show about him), expect the same for Thor and Cap if they don't bust blocks.

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 32
RE: The Bard in Asgaard - 28/4/2011 10:29:50 AM   
talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

Loki (Tom Hiddleston, turning in his second superb performance of the year after the excellent Archipelago [2011]) is a particularly believable villain. Rather than mindless evil, his pain is all too mindful. There are clear, logical, believable lines drawn between his actions and the reasons behind them. This is not a comic-book villain: it's a Shakespearean one. Branagh's stamp is all over this film.

Please explain the logic behind his plan.

I didn't say I knew his plan. Given the assumption that comic-book movies are rarely a single entry, and sequels are a foregone conclusion, I would assume his plan will be clarified in a future movie. But I didn't feel it needed clarifying here. His motivations, however, are clear. Younger-brother-complex. He says he never wanted the throne, which was destined for Thor, but he was clearly jealous of the attention that Thor got, and wanted to be his equal. That his father gave preference to Thor was clear, and the revelation of his actual birth only added fuel to the fire.

In terms of his actions in the film, I assume he never intended to kill Fluffy (that's how I heard the frost giant king's name anyway) but since he realised Thor had regained his hammer, he made the best of a bad situation by changing sides again and saving his father, biding his time until a future date.

SPOILERS
I think he intended to kill Fluffy during the assassination attempt of Odin so as to be seen as a sort of hero and gain some respect from his family and the people. I just don't think he realised that Thor was back on Asgard to slap him around the face with his big hammer (ooh errr). He assumed that Thor wouldn't be able to get back as he had Stringer Bell in a big ice cube so he wouldn't be able to make a bridge between Earth and Asgard. Yeah.

I thought this looked pretty poor from the trailers but I thoroghly enjoyed this, close to a four star for me. I'd say it's actually better than both Iron man films, definitely the second one anyway. Looking forward to Captain America now.

< Message edited by talpacino -- 28/4/2011 10:31:29 AM >

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 33
RE: - 29/4/2011 12:33:28 AM   
Dr Lenera

In 937 BC, the Gods saved Earth from the deadly Frost Giants, then retreated to their celestial realm of Asgard.  Thor  is the arrogant heir to the ruler Odin, and is about to take the throne while his brother Loki remains waiting in the wings.  When a group of Frost Giants break into the palace and unsuccessfully attempt to take some weapons, Thor takes it upon himself to lead a revenge attack.  Odin is furious and banishes Thor and his hammer to Midgard-AKA Earth.   He is found by three people including protege scientist  Jane, and now has to fit into this strange world.  Meanwhile  Loki has taken over AsgardÖÖ

Iím going to be completely honest here-Iím getting just a teeny bit tired of all these superhero movies.  Maybe Iím getting old, maybe my tastes are just changing, maybe itís because a certain film magazine is seemingly obssessed with them, maybe itís because my first cinema viewing of a film was Superman The Movie which for me has never been matched, I donít know.  Now thatís not to say I donít enjoy them, I usually exit the cinema having been pretty well entertained, but increasingly often I also leave with a slight feeling of emptyness and disappointment, with few of the films containing for me much of the giddy lift that I used to expect and is prevailent in the best films of the subgenre.  I  donít know about you, but most of these films seem to be somewhat holding back, they seem to be staying away from getting too thrilling or too imaginative.  However Thor seemed like it was going to be rather more interesting and exciting, partially I suppose because it takes  from old Viking mythology, and the idea of a Norse God on our world and in our time is an admirably crazy one.  Well, did Thor fulfill my expectations?  Without a doubt itís great fun, but once, I felt a distinct tang of disappointment after the movie had finished, even if it probably is the best of the recent rash of superhero flicks.

After a breathless opening when three people in a car, people who turn out to feature a lot in the movie, see a strange phenonemon in the sky, we launch into a  lengthy flashback set amidst the Gods, replete with narration, which opens inThe Fellowship Of The Ring style with a CG-laded battle, but continues more like a slightly odd pastiche of a Shakespearian drama in which one can easily see director Kenneth Branaghís experience with the Bard.   The tone is fairly serious and heavy for a bit, but, in the fashion of Superman The  Movie, things become far lighter once Thor is on Earth.  Although the film never becomes an  out-and-out comedy, there are quite a few laughs based around Thorís difficulty in adjusting to life in his new-found home.  ďBring me a horseĒ he cries as he strides into a pet shop, and, after he is told the shop doesnít sell horses but dogs and cats and the  like, he replies  ďwell get me one big enough to rideĒ".   A subplot revolving around the discovery of his hammer, which has also been cast to Earth,gets stuck in the ground and has people trying to pull it out like King Arthurís sword, is also entertainingly done.  Just over half way through the action, which apart from some fighting near the beginning with some Frost Giants is almost absent, starts to kick in with Thor breaking into a compound to retrieve his hammer from where SHIELD [the organisation introduced to us in Iron Man 2] have built a base around it, and then thereís a great attack by a big robot thing on a town which for a while reminded me of old Toho science fiction films like The Mysterians. The film really seems to be hotting up, but then it rushes through itís plot at lightning speed and all it then delivers is some soap opera  histrionics and some brawling between Thor and Loki in a room and on a bridge.  I just wasnít satisfied, throughout the second half I was thinking ďmaybe the Frost Giants may attack EarthĒ  or something exciting and spectacular, but once again, the filmmakers seem to be holding back.  At least the final scene is nicely bittersweet though we donít really care-Iím not saying there should have been an actual romance between Thor and Jane but maybe there ought to have been more than the two or three scenes with them that we got!

Thor boasts some fantastic sets courtesy of Bo Welch, and Asgard looks amazing, with itís palace seemingly made from organ pipes, rainbow bridge and golden circles everywhere, does look amazing.  There are shades of Dune and Flash Gordon in the design but for the most part they did a really great  job here creating an original and different-looking fantasy world,  even if it seems heavily reliant on CGI.  Sadly the CGI elsewhere is often quite poor-the Frost Giants especially are often quite blurry in their movements and donít convince as actual living creatures.  I saw this movie in 2D, as I resent paying extra money for a process that to me  is both unconvincing and pointless, but I doubt that seeing it in 3D would change things much, except to make the fights  [what few of them there are] even more hard to see.  Branagh joins the ever growing list of directors who film action but donít actually seem to want us to see much of it because they  film it with lots of closeups and fast cutting, though itís possible the second unit did much of this.  Still, watching action at the cinema is really starting to hurt my eyes!   The script by Ashley Miller, Zack Stentz and Don Payne is strong on comic book dialogue both supposedly serious and intentionally funny,  but doesnít seem to know what to do with itís story towards the end, unless lots of footage was removed [I do seem to remember that for a while Thor was intended to be 130 mins long].

Branagh, who for some reason films some scenes with at a titled angle a la the 60s Batman series,  seems more at home with the dialogue scenes than the action [what little there is], but the performances are often surprisingly poor.  Chris Hemsworth may look the part of Thor but has the charisma of an amoeba and just looks like he wishes  he was elsewhere [and hungover], while for this movie we donít get the Natalie Portman of Black Swan but the Natalie Portman of Star Wars, the fake, forced one who always looks like sheís acting.  Tom Hiddleston as Loki is one of the dullest cinema villains of recent years.   Fortunately in the role of Odin we have Anthony Hopkins, and though he may very well be giving variations on the same performance in film after film now, he is still able to dominate the screen and is always fun to watch.  With a score by Patrick Doyle that provides all the  noise you expect but will probably be forgotten almost  immediately after the film has finished [what happened to all those great themes you used to get in superhero movies?], Thor does get the job done it sets out to do, but no more.  Once again,  I expected more from a superhero film than I got.  O well, Iíll still be queuing up for the next one.
Rating:6.5/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/
Post #: 34
RE: By the power of Thor - 29/4/2011 1:21:22 AM   
theoriginalcynic

He was there at the end of the credits - with quite a big plot point revealed.
Post #: 35
RE: Thor - 29/4/2011 9:50:52 PM   
R W

Director: Kenneth Branagh
Screenwriters: Ashley Miller, Zack Stentz, Don Payne
Starring: Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleston, Anthony Hopkins, Stellan Skarsgard, Kat Dennings, Clark Gregg, Idris Elba

Synopsis
When the powerful but arrogant warrior Thor (Hemsworth) is cast out of the fantastic realm of Asgard and sent to live amongst humans on Earth, he must learn to become a true defender for both worlds in order to face a great evil.

Review
As far as previous Marvel incarnations go, superheroes like Iron Man and the Incredible Hulk have come out successfully well on screen as they are ordinary humans with super-powered alter egos. In the case of Thor, he is the God of Thunder and his comic book origin is one of pure fantasy. So for Marvel Studios, this is their most ambitious as not only do they have a tough job of making Thor a believable presence, but making him a part of the cinematic universe that Marvel has established in previous (and future) works.

Since his comic book debut in 1962, Thor (based on Norse mythology) has been variously refashioned over the years, most notably in the Ultimate Marvel imprint as demented writer Mark Millar made him a delusional former mental patient who believes he is a god. So whatever version of Thor we see, it depends on the filmmakers.

As a film project that has been in development hell for several years, director Kenneth Branagh (or Professor Gilderoy Lockhart for the kids) brings his Shakespeare-ness to the film. However, this is clearly not one for high-class literary students, but for the blockbuster audience and the comic geeks (like me). Even with his past time in genre with Frankenstein and the impressive technical Magic Flute, this is Branaghís most epic work and biggest departure.

During the course of Branaghís Thor, there are two films playing at the same time, which largely comes to the change of tone in each of the two worlds. In the God of Thunderís homeland Asgard we see a semi-Shakespearean tale of family, royalty and power set within the backdrop of macho fantasy similar to Conan or He-Man. The titular protagonist, who though fights for Asgard, his recklessness causes his father Odin (played by Anthony Hopkins who knows how to play father figures) to banish his first-born from his own home.

When our hero is sent to Earth for his unworthiness, the film becomes more comedic as Thor who in his new surroundings, seems like the holy fool. His only help in Earth is his guidance with Jane Foster (played by Natalie Portman) and co, and thus he learns he must redeem himself in order to become a hero to the people of ours and his worlds.

While there are elements both in spectacle and humour that work in the two worlds, the film as a whole is like two movies compiling with one another, although we werenít going to expect something highly intelligent. However, towards its climax when the action involves both worlds, you do end up cheering once the muscle-bound god regains his power, the second he lifts that hammer.

With special effects being a big deal in these sorts of movies (and boy how stunningly colourful Asgard is), Kenneth Branagh never lets that overwhelm the story and characters, since theatre played a big part in his career as actor and director. Tackling a superhero film with that classic sense of good-versus-evil fantasy, Branagh keeps everything straight-faced and enjoyable.

Following his one-scene cameo as George Kirk in J.J. Abramsí Star Trek, former Home and Away star Chris Hemsworth succeeds at bringing a non-campiness to his performance as Thor who is seen as courageous and occasionally presents a subtle sense of humour. While Natalie Portman tries her best in a slightly underwritten role as well as acting alongside the funny Kat Dennings, the real standout is Tom Hiddleston as Thorís adoptive brother Loki, who we can sympathise with, but also shows a sense of danger.

Whilst we wait for next yearís The Avengers (being directed by Joss Whedon), this and perhaps the upcoming Captain America will reference other works and each other in order to connect the dots. Although this will be a delight for the fans, like Iron Man 2 it gets a bit silly particularly when we are introduced to Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye in a brief but unnecessary appearance. However, stay in your seats at the end credits as there is a little nugget which amps up expectations for future films.

Verdict
If youíre not into comics or indeed into Norse gods, donít worry as director Kenneth Branagh helms a terrific fantasy romp that all audiences can enjoy. Also, too many Dutch angles!      

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 36
RE: Go 2D - 30/4/2011 9:33:23 AM   
hellboy22

I went to the 2D version also, I don't bother with any 3D conversions (only films that used 3D cameras) otherwise it detracts from the experience.......

The film I really enjoyed, the action sequences were great, Asgard is jaw droppingly stunning (oscar worthy for art direction?) and the post credits scene was neat too. I think this film will get better with every viewing.

My only worry is because Thor is so powerful how is he going to fit into the Avengers? Iron man and Captain America have physical limits so fighting the Hulk for example could damage the armour or hurt cap for example so it would be a realistic threat but if Thor is involved he could just throw Mjolnir and end it, so that's a concern for me (I know Hulk probably won't be the villain in the Avengers) but will be interesting to see who the villain of the piece will be to justify them coming together.

If Peter Jackson really wanted to blow me away with those "Rings" movies, he would have ended the third one on the logical closure point, not the 25 endings that followed.
Post #: 37
RE: Go 2D - 30/4/2011 11:09:57 AM   
hampstead bandit

thanks for confirming this was "converted" to 3D in post-production

which I had assumed (having seen a number of 3D films) as the 3D was the weakest part of an otherwise enjoyable, solid action superhero film with a 'little bit more heart' than most of the films of this genre 4/5 from me!

we could not find this film showing locally in 2D otherwise I would not have wasted £26 (!!!!) on two tickets to see the 3D version, that's London cinema prices for you!

Thor was well worth watching, Asgard was stunning especially the bridge to the transportation device, good acting all round, liked the interplay between Odin and his 2 sons, and the Earth elements meshed well

glad I'd heard about the post-credit section, only a couple other people stayed in the cinema (they must have heard too..) and we were rewarded with

* spoilers*

a sneaky peak of Nick Fury inviting the scientist guy from Thor to work with them on investigating a new power source, whilst Loki manipulates the scientist through a mirror

(in reply to hellboy22)
Post #: 38
RE: Go 2D - 30/4/2011 1:59:53 PM   
theoriginalcynic

Quote isn't working.  DMonkey.  Don't agree with this at all.  Thor has some of the best 3D I've seen on the big screen - it's no Avatar but the special effects still look amazing in 3D.

< Message edited by theoriginalcynic -- 30/4/2011 2:00:08 PM >

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 39
RE: Go 2D - 30/4/2011 8:19:55 PM   
sanchia

I agree, this is one time the 3D is non intrusive and quite subtle (to the point of being pointless). It doesn't detract from the viewing performance for once but at the same time does not enhance.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 40
RE: Go 2D - 1/5/2011 2:50:10 AM   
williamteh

Throughly fun ride, hugely surpassed my expectation. Hopefully, this is the beginning of a great summer movie season this year. Kudos to Chris and Kenneth. ... The 3D did add some visible depth into the movie !

quote:

ORIGINAL: hellboy22

I went to the 2D version also, I don't bother with any 3D conversions (only films that used 3D cameras) otherwise it detracts from the experience.......

The film I really enjoyed, the action sequences were great, Asgard is jaw droppingly stunning (oscar worthy for art direction?) and the post credits scene was neat too. I think this film will get better with every viewing.

My only worry is because Thor is so powerful how is he going to fit into the Avengers? Iron man and Captain America have physical limits so fighting the Hulk for example could damage the armour or hurt cap for example so it would be a realistic threat but if Thor is involved he could just throw Mjolnir and end it, so that's a concern for me (I know Hulk probably won't be the villain in the Avengers) but will be interesting to see who the villain of the piece will be to justify them coming together.

(in reply to hellboy22)
Post #: 41
RE: Go 2D - 1/5/2011 3:14:12 PM   
kenada_woo

Enjoyable but hardly anything special comic book fare. Great casting of Hemsworth as Thor as well as the support cast.

But the film seems to hate being set on Earth and wants to get back to Asgard sharpish, where the fun and the character work generally takes place.

The plot is predictable but its the fun you have watching the characters chew scenery that makes the whole thing tick.

Some CG isnt particularly well polished and the set pieces while bombastic generally range from decent to a little underwhelming.

Overall, enjoyable and fun and a good opener for Hemsworth as Thor. But to me it felt solid while never great...a bit like the first Iron Man and Xmen movie IMO.

***/*****

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

Post #: 42
RE: ĎBY Odinís beard,í as Ron Burgundy might say, Ďa Th... - 2/5/2011 4:38:09 PM   
Citizen Dildo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

Think any solo sequels are going to be based on how well these films do at the box office, Iron Man 3 is the only confirmed one at the moment and while seeds are probably sewn for the next story unless Thor is a big hit I don't think he'll be seen again on screen outside of The Avengers. Incredible Hulk should have had a sequel by now but because it made about half as much as Iron Man I don't think Marvel consider it a strong enough solo property anymore so are just tying him into The Avengers (and producing a new TV show about him), expect the same for Thor and Cap if they don't bust blocks.

More sequel news - http://www.hitfix.com/articles/surprise-sequels-for-thor-and-captain-america-on-the-way

Why would anyone ever wanna leave Baltimore?

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 43
RE: The Bard in Asgaard - 3/5/2011 5:40:16 PM   
rosiedoes

quote:

ORIGINAL: talpacino

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

Loki (Tom Hiddleston, turning in his second superb performance of the year after the excellent Archipelago [2011]) is a particularly believable villain. Rather than mindless evil, his pain is all too mindful. There are clear, logical, believable lines drawn between his actions and the reasons behind them. This is not a comic-book villain: it's a Shakespearean one. Branagh's stamp is all over this film.

Please explain the logic behind his plan.

I didn't say I knew his plan. Given the assumption that comic-book movies are rarely a single entry, and sequels are a foregone conclusion, I would assume his plan will be clarified in a future movie. But I didn't feel it needed clarifying here. His motivations, however, are clear. Younger-brother-complex. He says he never wanted the throne, which was destined for Thor, but he was clearly jealous of the attention that Thor got, and wanted to be his equal. That his father gave preference to Thor was clear, and the revelation of his actual birth only added fuel to the fire.

In terms of his actions in the film, I assume he never intended to kill Fluffy (that's how I heard the frost giant king's name anyway) but since he realised Thor had regained his hammer, he made the best of a bad situation by changing sides again and saving his father, biding his time until a future date.

SPOILERS
I think he intended to kill Fluffy during the assassination attempt of Odin so as to be seen as a sort of hero and gain some respect from his family and the people. I just don't think he realised that Thor was back on Asgard to slap him around the face with his big hammer (ooh errr). He assumed that Thor wouldn't be able to get back as he had Stringer Bell in a big ice cube so he wouldn't be able to make a bridge between Earth and Asgard. Yeah.

I thought this looked pretty poor from the trailers but I thoroghly enjoyed this, close to a four star for me. I'd say it's actually better than both Iron man films, definitely the second one anyway. Looking forward to Captain America now.

EVEN MORE SPOILERS. BIGGER ONES.
Totally with you on that. I don't think that in this film Loki is intended or actively portrayed as evil. Misguided and angry, yes. Bitter, yes. Evil, no. However, I think that what we saw in this film did lay the foundation for him to be much more angry and bitter in any future appearances, because he will feel abandoned and humiliated as well.

< Message edited by rosiedoes -- 4/5/2011 4:59:28 PM >

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 44
RE: Thor 3D - 3/5/2011 9:27:42 PM   
Stuntgoat

Wasn't entirely sure about what was going on in the post credits sequence! Or am I just stupid, it looked like something from Tranasformers!

We're gonna need a bigger boat!
PSN: Stuntgoat
Post #: 45
RE: Thor 3D - 3/5/2011 11:28:46 PM   
azzman1984

I really enjoyed it :)

(in reply to Stuntgoat)
Post #: 46
RE: Thor 3D - 3/5/2011 11:46:13 PM   
KeithM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stuntgoat

Wasn't entirely sure about what was going on in the post credits sequence! Or am I just stupid, it looked like something from Tranasformers!

SPOILER:  (highlight to read)

[spoiler]The thing in the box Fury was presenting to Selvig to study was the Cosmic Cube* which is the macguffin the Red Skull is trying to possess/activate in Captain America (not necessarily the same one, although likely - a few Cubes have been created, some even becoming sentient). The modern day appearance suggests this will also tie into the Avengers in some way.

Also, in the first issue of the original 60s Avengers, Loki controlled Hulk in order to kill Thor, but which ultimately unites the heroes against him. Loki's control of Selvig in this scene could be a foreshadowing of something similar in the upcoming Avengers movie. Possibly.

*From the Marvel wikia: "Few items in the universe could ever compare to the sheer power of a Cosmic Cube. The power within the Cube allows whoever wields it to literally reshape reality around him. Virtually anything is possible, from the raising of mountains and commanding the power of the elements to opening dimensional portals and transforming your enemies"
[/spoiler]

END SPOILER

Edit: Seriously Empire? No spoiler bbcode tags? On the "number one" movie site? I have spoiler bbcode tags on my free forum software ffs. SortItOutEmpire!

< Message edited by KeithM -- 3/5/2011 11:53:07 PM >

(in reply to Stuntgoat)
Post #: 47
RE: Thor 3D - 4/5/2011 7:54:52 AM   
Rgirvan44

How does all of mankind knows that Loki is a bad guy, but Odin and Co, don't have a clue?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to KeithM)
Post #: 48
RE: Thor 3D - 4/5/2011 7:56:39 AM   
Rgirvan44

I mean, they even have a book which says  "Loki is a bad guy". 

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 49
RE: The 12 A certificate is a bit of a shame... - 4/5/2011 9:59:45 AM   
Stuntgoat

Thanks KeithM. Thats left me less confused but looking forward to the Avengers and Cap.

We're gonna need a bigger boat!
PSN: Stuntgoat
Post #: 50
RE: The 12 A certificate is a bit of a shame... - 4/5/2011 1:06:14 PM   
skeletonjack

I thought the movie was ok, it came across as a weird hybrid of Masters Of The Universe and Flash Gordon (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). Not as great as some are proclaiming, but still fun.
I watched the movie in 2-D, couldn't see anything in it that would have benefitted from the extra dimension.
As a side note, is anyone else getting a bit sick of the Stan Lee cameos now? I'm finding them increasingly annoying, and they only serve to take me right out of the movie.
3 Stars

(in reply to Stuntgoat)
Post #: 51
RE: The 12 A certificate is a bit of a shame... - 4/5/2011 1:08:02 PM   
blackduck

Loved the film, casting was prefect (but the 3D is a total waste of money, not needed at all).

Just one question, why was everyone so worried about a new war with the ice giants? Asgard has a honking great gun/transporter thing pointed at the ice world , they'd win without even having to get out of bed.

I am but an egg.

(in reply to Stuntgoat)
Post #: 52
RE: The 12 A certificate is a bit of a shame... - 4/5/2011 2:42:15 PM   
KeithM

quote:

ORIGINAL: blackduck
Just one question, why was everyone so worried about a new war with the ice giants? Asgard has a honking great gun/transporter thing pointed at the ice world , they'd win without even having to get out of bed.

They're sworn to protect all the Nine Realms. They're the good guys. The gun/transporter thing is like the Nuclear option. Really a last resort. Genocide, all out war and Planet Busting is not the done thing when you're supposed to be Lords of the Universe, keeping all its people safe...

As Odin says, a good king must never seek war, but must always be prepared for it. That includes not pursuing war after victory is achieved. The universe had its peace. Odin makes it clear that he indeed could have destroyed the Frost Giants a thousand years ago. But he showed his innate goodness and wisdom by not delivering the fatal blow. The Frost Giants were neutered, but if Odin had wiped them out, then he would have ruled the universe from that point on through fear, not through wisdom.

See, the Frost Giants aren't 'pure evil' - they're definitely not very nice, but they're just a race, albeit a very aggressive and savage one. Also remember that they do have some 'honour' - they upheld the peace too, for a thousand years, until (SPOILERS) you know who CAME TO THEM. Laufey could argue that he and his people were provoked into their actions (Odin took their power and his son... probably an unwanted son, but still, morally it's 'ammunition') and were egged into infiltrating Asgard with promises of returning them to their former glory. (END SPOILERS)

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 53
RE: superb - 4/5/2011 4:58:37 PM   
rosiedoes

SPOILER QUESTION
[[Does anyone else not understand why Loki, the abandoned ice giant baby wasn't actually an ice giant? Did I miss something, there?]]
Post #: 54
RE: The 12 A certificate is a bit of a shame... - 4/5/2011 6:02:56 PM   
Gretzky

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cameron1975Williams

...because Branagh's made a great little kid's movie here. Tha's not a veiled criticism, I just think that's how he saw the material and he's right. Basic moral stories are for kids, to learn from. 36 year old men should know better and this film isn't for them. Hemsworth would look like an actual god to a young boys eyes and is really very good in this. Very silly fun, but not for grown men. Take your kids though.

Totally agree. If you read the BBFC's guidance for the rating, it seems like there's no clear reason why they chose 12A either. Other than it being a 'cooler' rating to PG...

Considering there's no real blood-letting and it's set in a very clear fantasy realm, there's no reason why this couldn't be a PG as much as Fellowship of the Ring was (which is actually *more* violent).

~ Formerly Ash_Boomstick
Female Film Fan

Post #: 55
RE: superb - 4/5/2011 6:29:51 PM   
KeithM

quote:

ORIGINAL: rosiedoes

SPOILER QUESTION
[[Does anyone else not understand why Loki, the abandoned ice giant baby wasn't actually an ice giant? Did I miss something, there?]]

SPOILER ANSWER
Presumably when Odin touched him, he passed on or did something to Loki that makes Asgardians what they are (in sci-fi terms, some kind of genetic nano-virus perhaps; in fantasy terms through 'magic'), which made Loki half-giant, half-Asgardian in a way. Or something along those lines. Odin also mentions that he was 'stunted and unwanted' - basically a dwarf-giant. He would have been an embarrassment and a burden to Laufey, and probably wouldn't survive long, so Odin thought he was doing something good for the child (he claims - whether Loki was closer to the truth is up for debate).

Changing appearance is not uncommon in these stories (and the myths they're based on), so to be honest, all of this reasoning is after-the-fact to try to 'rationally' explain it (which Marvel are quite ingenious at btw). I wonder if the Vikings were as curious about that kind of stuff? ;)

< Message edited by KeithM -- 5/5/2011 12:47:13 AM >

(in reply to rosiedoes)
Post #: 56
RE: Thor - 5/5/2011 5:35:45 AM   
slickrick

I get a bit sceptical about films with Aussie TV actors in main roles. All those heartbreak High and Home and Away actor in The Matrix put me off that franchise. But all the positive reviews for Thor have been good. Seeing it on Friday night.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 57
RE: superb - 5/5/2011 1:17:21 PM   
rosiedoes

quote:

OILER ANSWER
Presumably when Odin touched him, he passed on or did something to Loki that makes Asgardians what they are (in sci-fi terms, some kind of genetic nano-virus perhaps; in fantasy terms through 'magic'), which made Loki half-giant, half-Asgardian in a way. Or something along those lines. Odin also mentions that he was 'stunted and unwanted' - basically a dwarf-giant. He would have been an embarrassment and a burden to Laufey, and probably wouldn't survive long, so Odin thought he was doing something good for the child (he claims - whether Loki was closer to the truth is up for debate).

Changing appearance is not uncommon in these stories (and the myths they're based on), so to be honest, all of this reasoning is after-the-fact to try to 'rationally' explain it (which Marvel are quite ingenious at btw). I wonder if the Vikings were as curious about that kind of stuff? ;)
quote:

ORIGINAL: KeithM

quote:

ORIGINAL: rosiedoes

SPOILER QUESTION
[[CUT]]

SPOILER ANSWER
Cut to prevent spoilers on the main page.)

I'm doing the Dubious Face, right now. It's one thing I think they should have done a better job of explaining, but I still really liked the movie.

(in reply to KeithM)
Post #: 58
RE: superb - 5/5/2011 1:46:44 PM   
Drone

Nicely entertaining, with the unique proposition of being filled with some fairly cliched dialogue, delivered in a way that's never... well, cliched.  Should have been more rubbish than it was, but it is in fact very good.  Don't think I could sit through it again any time soon mind you, but I'd say it's an easy three and a half - four stars.

(in reply to rosiedoes)
Post #: 59
RE: Whosoever scripted this film is unworthy of wieldin... - 6/5/2011 12:29:19 PM   
superdan

Initial thoughts from me **Possible Spoilers**:

It seemed pretty clear to me that this movie was the biggest potential banana skin for Marvel when it became apparent that they were going to build the Avengers franchise. The subject matter is too fantastical, too (frankly) ridiculous to fit into what has already been established by Iron Man, Hulk etc. So I found it quite a surprise that they (and Branagh, who should have silenced his numerous critics by now) managed to avoid falling on their arses.

The masterstroke Branagh made with Thor is that he hasn't played too far in any direction - it doesn't take itself too seriously, which allows some excruciating dialogue to sound amusing rather than grating, but it doesn't stray into camp comedy either, which allows for some quite dramatic scenes. It's not perfect, far from it, but it is a more than worthy addition to the Marvel stable. The performances are solid, particularly from Hiddlestone (who as the Empire review says makes Loki a surprisingly nuanced character - until the end, when it is let down a little), and while their isn't a great deal of action when the fists and hammers start flying it's done well (for battle with the frost giants being the stand-out).

There are flaws - plotholes, some creaky dialogue and some of the costumes look too rubbery. But I think Branagh and his cast need to be given credit for making the hardest sell of the series so far a success.

3.5/4 out of 5 for me.

< Message edited by superdan -- 6/5/2011 12:33:17 PM >
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: ĎBY Odinís beard,í as Ron Burgundy might say, Ďa Thor adaptation that sucketh not!í Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI