Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Michael Shannon Is Superman's Zod

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Michael Shannon Is Superman's Zod Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Michael Shannon Is Superman's Zod - 11/4/2011 12:00:35 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: - 11/4/2011 10:34:12 AM   
captainrentboy

Zod's been done a lot before?
As someone who got bored to death with Wooden Welling's Smallville at around Season 4, I can honestly say I've seen Zod portrayed on screen just ONCE. Once, and that was 20 odd years ago.
I think what people's actual concern is, is that they're doing Superman 2 all over again, just as Returns was quite a lot like the original Superman movie.
I don't think that'll be the case, and other than having Zod as the villian I doubt it'll follow much, if any, of Superman 2's actual plot. (Haven't they said they want to leave Donner's movies well alone?)

I still think one of the lesser known (with mainstream movie watchers anyway) bad guys will make an appearance in this new one too.
As amazing an actor as Shannon is, I can't see him doing all the physical, punchy punchy, slow motion ass kicking stuff. Which is why I think/hope there will be a secondary bad guy for that side of things.
Post #: 2
RE: Would have been better as Non - 11/4/2011 12:06:42 PM   
Timon

I do like Michael Shannon, but I can't help but think he would have been better as the Kryptonian Non, who is "as without thought as he is without voice."

He is a very physical actor and I've always seen Zod as someone more wily and intellectually terrifying than physically imposing.

Still, it's great casting.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 3
RE: Michael Shannon Is Superman's Zod - 11/4/2011 1:46:27 PM   
My name is Legion

That's nice, now just fire Zack Snyder and I might be interested.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 4
RE: Oh Zod! Nooooo! - 11/4/2011 1:48:36 PM   
waltham1979

Not convinced about the casting myself; personally I would have preferred an older cast to this film in general and don't even get me started on Amy Adams as Lane.

Thought Snyder was a great choice of director, but doubts are starting to creep in. I really wanted this film to have a real 'epic' quality to it that I felt Superman Returns lacked and I am just not getting it off these choices, they all just seem a little too good looking and MTV-esq...does that make sense?!

Hope i'm proved wrong though!!

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting
Post #: 5
RE: This super hero flick - 11/4/2011 2:30:34 PM   
lukeyboy

Shaping up nicely! Would've preffered to see Viggo as Zod as was rumoured - but Shannon is a solid choice and is all kinds of awesome in Boardwalk Empire!!

I feel like i'm Han Solo, your Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi - and we're in that FUCKED UP bar!!
Post #: 6
RE: Oh Zod! Nooooo! - 11/4/2011 2:40:49 PM   
captainrentboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: waltham1979

Thought Snyder was a great choice of director, but doubts are starting to creep in. I really wanted this film to have a real 'epic' quality to it that I felt Superman Returns lacked and I am just not getting it off these choices, they all just seem a little too good looking and MTV-esq...does that make sense?!

Have you looked at a picture of Michael Shannon before?

(in reply to waltham1979)
Post #: 7
RE: Oh Zod! Nooooo! - 11/4/2011 3:04:59 PM   
superdan

Hmm I'm starting to get mildly optimistic about this film. Some left-field (but quite clever) casting, Snyder leaving the script to more capable hands... This could turn out to be something rather exciting.
Post #: 8
RE: Oh Zod! Nooooo! - 11/4/2011 3:05:26 PM   
Wild about Wilder

I really like Shannon it's just that I would've liked to see one of the other villans in the film as apart from Luthor (naturally) none of the other main villans have been used.
Post #: 9
RE: Boardwalk Empire Spoiler - 11/4/2011 5:34:04 PM   
Gkel

I think they should have stuck to someone British for Zod.

No one can do evil like the Brits can!

Except maybe the French and Germans.

*running to hide in Canada.*  ;)

"Eat recycled food. Recycled food is good for the environment and ok for you."
Post #: 10
RE: Boardwalk Empire Spoiler - 13/4/2011 8:27:14 PM   
jace007

All due respect, if you had a Brit as Zod, it's just recreating what Terrence Stamp has done before. You should watch Shannon in BUG (that may change your mind, lol!)

(in reply to Gkel)
Post #: 11
Zod's Wife and New Krypton look - 15/4/2011 8:52:04 AM   
Tech_Noir

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/20209/superman-battles-faora-in-man-of-steel

(in reply to jace007)
Post #: 12
RE: Zod's Wife and New Krypton look - 15/4/2011 12:43:06 PM   
horribleives

Anyone else think Shannon looks like Richard Kiel?

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 13
RE: Oh Zod! Nooooo! - 15/4/2011 4:14:05 PM   
Gillhead

Shannon good looking - lol !!!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: waltham1979

Not convinced about the casting myself; personally I would have preferred an older cast to this film in general and don't even get me started on Amy Adams as Lane.

Hope i'm proved wrong though!!

(in reply to waltham1979)
Post #: 14
SPam link in title - 15/4/2011 7:25:09 PM   
Spaldron

Piss off you spammy git!

< Message edited by elab49 -- 17/4/2011 9:29:41 PM >

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Michael Shannon Is Superman's Zod Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI