Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Future Of Superhero Films

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: The Future Of Superhero Films Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Future Of Superhero Films - 31/1/2012 6:59:30 PM   
will1000

I'm still waiting for Deadpool...I love that character! I really really hope it's not messed up!

...donuts don't wear alligator shoes.

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 61
RE: The Future Of Superhero Films - 7/2/2012 9:53:41 PM   
sanctumest

For me, I agree that Batman, Superman, Spiderman will be rebooted time and again, but as long as there is some time left between them, I have no issues with that. (Let's face it, improvements have been made with all three over the years, with the odd slip backwards!).

The overall volume of superheroe films should lessen, I feel. There is very little doubt that studios are searching for heroes to bring to the screen almost indescriminately, without regard to the effectiveness of a character's switch from page to screen. This will inevitably lead to a watering down of quality, and excitement level for the films' release. And then, in precisely 9 years and 5 months (and 17 hours), it will all start again!

This is true. I am from the future.

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 62
RE: The Future Of Superhero Films - 8/2/2012 10:17:08 AM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: will1000

I'm still waiting for Deadpool...I love that character! I really really hope it's not messed up!

It could be great if they take the Ryan Reynolds version from the start of Wolverine.

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 63
RE: The Future Of Superhero Films - 8/2/2012 8:19:46 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

quote:

It could be great if they take the Ryan Reynolds version from the start of Wolverine.

I think its clear by now that Ryan Reynolds is jinxed when it comes to comic book movies.Hes been in three of them now and they havnt been well received.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 64
RE: The Future Of Superhero Films - 15/2/2012 2:51:44 PM   
Dannybohy

Im all for Rebooting Batman!! ...Like right now!. Grab a copy of Batman;Arkham City video game..make it into a movie!!exactly the same bat suit and gadgets as the game,  bosh!! job done.

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 65
RE: The Future Of Superhero Films - 15/2/2012 3:42:31 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

Im all for Rebooting Batman!! ...Like right now!. Grab a copy of Batman;Arkham City video game..make it into a movie!!exactly the same bat suit and gadgets as the game,  bosh!! job done.

Well you better get on and do it then.
Come on,chop-chop..

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 66
RE: The Future Of Superhero Films - 24/2/2012 12:50:01 PM   
Marwood

Feels to me that Marvel are the only studio really pushing ahead at the moment with new characters, I wonder if the other studios are cooling a bit given that there have been several downs as well as ups in the last decade.

WB have TDKR this year and then Man of Steel but the development of the rest of the DC pantheon seems to have gone very quiet of late despite a lot of hot air last year about big plans and announcements. I think the relative failure (commerically and critically) of Green Lantern and the Wonder Woman series being canned before pilot airing have probably forced a rethink. If Man of Steel is a hit then perhaps the other projects like The Flash will pick up steam but I get the feeling that WB have backed off a bit because these days it seems only Batman is a success but even then TDK could have been a fluke. Superman Returns did decent money but was still considered an underperformer and very divisive critically so I feel there's a lot riding on MoS and TDKR to show the "big two" of their properties are definitely still viable. If so then I think the pace will pick up on the lesser known/in development character films. Not expecting a Green Lantern sequel though unless it's a reboot or Reynolds turning up in a Justice League film.

Sony are going full steam ahead with the rebooted Spider-Man series (sequel already announced) so there will probably still be plenty of life in that character although to be fair Spider-Man has always been arguably more kid friendly than a lot of the other heroes so if any adaptation is a guaranteed hit then it's this one. Amazing Spider-Man has been marketed as being a bit more "mature" than the Raimi entries but I still think it will pull the kid crowds in and be a big hit from them.

Ghost Rider: SOV is performing poorly though so I think Sony are probably going to give that one up - expect Marvel to reboot the character in their inevitable "cosmic/spiritual" cadre led by Dr Strange in the future. I thought Marvel might have got Blade back by now as well since Trinity was nearly a decade ago but there was a rumour last year that New Line were planning a Snipes-less reboot.

20th Century Fox are planning an X-Men: First Class sequel with Matthew Vaughn so I think they're going to keep milking that franchise until an outright flop; I expect Second Class (or whatever) will deviate more from the Singer/Ratner films' continuity as First Class was something of a prequel but under Vaughn's development became as much a reboot as well. Given that X-Men 4 and 5 have been languishing for ages (despite Lauren Donner talking up potential plans) I think we've seen the last of the original continuity. I think The Wolverine is being seen as something more standalone from the series too so it could very well end up as the last vague link to the series and Hugh Jackman's last go as Wolverine.

Fantastic Four are apparently being rebooted by Fox, as is Daredevil, but I think that's a rights keeper as much as them thinking the films are still viable. Enough time has passed between the last entries in each franchise that surely Marvel are circling to take the rights back in-house so I think Fox are going for a reboot for both to keep hold of them and see if there is any viability left. If they crash and burn then I think they'll do a Lionsgate: admit defeat and relinquish the rights back to Marvel ala what happened with The Punisher following Warzone.

As for the rest of Marvel's pantheon I actually think they should move more into TV with some of them; Clark Gregg has hinted at a Shield based show which could potentially be awesome (if linked to the cinematic universe then plenty of opportunities for superpowered guest stars) and there's the mooted Hulk TV series produced by Guillermo Del Toro (which will apparently not be linked to the films and have a Banner in his mid-late 20s running around). I think others they have been trying to get on screen for a while like Luke Cage and Iron Fist would also be suited for TV (probably moreso than film); arguably Daredevil could be a great series as well seeing as he's a "low-fi" or "street level" hero. Fox are apparently developing a Punisher TV show (guess Marvel made a deal with them rather than go for any more films) but it sounds pretty wanky and basically a riff on Dexter - something based on the MAX series would be a much better idea IMO (but handled with better care than Warzone obviously) so my fingers are actually crossed that the Fox series dies.

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 67
RE: The Future Of Superhero Films - 25/2/2012 12:30:35 PM   
spark1

its all about 'the avengers'- if works then more comic book movies and maybe a JLA film at last.

q-are the scripts for future comic book movies gonna get better or at least as good as the stories they are taken from?

< Message edited by spark1 -- 25/2/2012 12:31:58 PM >

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 68
RE: The Future Of Superhero Films - 26/2/2012 1:37:14 AM   
sanctumest

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

its all about 'the avengers'- if works then more comic book movies and maybe a JLA film at last.

q-are the scripts for future comic book movies gonna get better or at least as good as the stories they are taken from?

I don't feel the stories from comics are readily translatable to film. Maybe that's why so many films miss the mark. Comics, like books, allow us to put our own take onto the characters, films take much of that away. Take X-men, Cyclops as a character was so very different from the comics I grew up with, that it jarred with me every time he appeared on screen. It seemed to me he was written that way to make Wolverine more viable. He was the "big brother" in the comics, and a jealous kid in the film.

I think Nolan and Raimi got it right, in that they distilled the essence of the characters and applied a modern, logical progression to them. Even as a comic, the avengers and JLA never worked for me, the seperate comic logical progression collapsed when the characters interacted in a group.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 69
RE: The Future Of Superhero Films - 26/2/2012 1:05:53 PM   
spark1

of course adapting major comic stories means paying the writers more cash than creators credit.
they get away with doing alan moore comics as films because he relinquised the rights.

< Message edited by spark1 -- 27/2/2012 11:07:25 AM >

(in reply to sanctumest)
Post #: 70
RE: The Future Of Superhero Films - 29/2/2012 10:13:46 AM   
spark1

of course 'chronicle' has shown that you can do superhero action on a budget and get quality too.

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 71
RE: The Future Of Superhero Films - 29/2/2012 12:47:56 PM   
Titanm21

I’d really like to see an independent firm take on a major comic character kinda like how Judge Dredd is coming on.

The big studios can throw to much money at a project and worry about the demographic to much *Looks at Green Lantern* and it spoils the end product.

An independent studio (Marvel Studios) or at the very least independent 'approach' (Batman Begins) to film making can produce some amazing film making.

www.TrailerHouseMusings@Blogspot.com

Join us for all the latest trailers in the world of Gaming, TV and Movies [also Facebook and Twitter]

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 72
RE: The Future Of Superhero Films - 29/2/2012 1:00:07 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Any news on the rating of Dredd yet?
Love to see it R-Rated,that be brilliant.

And if Dredd does become a succes then I'd love to see Deadpool go down a similiar route.

(in reply to Titanm21)
Post #: 73
RE: The Future Of Superhero Films - 29/2/2012 2:52:22 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

Any news on the rating of Dredd yet?
Love to see it R-Rated,that be brilliant.

And if Dredd does become a succes then I'd love to see Deadpool go down a similiar route.

It is an R

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 74
RE: The Future Of Superhero Films - 6/5/2012 11:45:50 PM   
Biggus

Well with the enormous success and acclaim of The Avengers and the impending releases of The Dark Knight Rises and The Amazing Spider-man, would it be too presumptious to say that superhero films are reaching something of a peak this year?

Then again it looks as thought all the constituent Avengers will be continuing in their own individual film series' which will ultimately lead an Avengers sequel. Purely on box office receipts this is practically a certainty.

Going back to Sutty's first post, I would agree that the success of The Avengers will shape how things move forward for a good few years. DC are no doubt taking notes and already planning how best to pave a road to a Justice League film which would probably involve a Green Lantern reboot at some point as well as introducing The Flash and Wonder Woman. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Zack Snyder's Man of Steel will be setting the tone and direction for this particular run of films.

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 75
RE: The Future Of Superhero Films - 9/8/2012 6:09:42 PM   
Biggus

quote:

I wouldn't be surprised if this is indeed the tone adopted by future films in the Batman franchise.

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 76
RE: The Future Of Superhero Films - 9/8/2012 7:03:05 PM   
will1000

quote:

Or just play the game...seriously, why would you 'reboot' it just to replicate an existing format?!

...donuts don't wear alligator shoes.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 77
RE: The Future Of Superhero Films - 10/8/2012 7:24:07 AM   
Biggus

quote:

quote:

Or just play the game...seriously, why would you 'reboot' it just to replicate an existing format?!

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 78
RE: The Future Of Superhero Films - 13/8/2012 8:08:17 PM   
vad3r

Why is no one rebooting Blade?? He's the most badass superhero they have.

Michael Jai White is perfect for the role. He proved his range with Black Dynamite.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 79
RE: The Future Of Superhero Films - 14/8/2012 9:54:11 AM   
Dannybohy

I thought Chronicle was a far superior movie to any superhero movie made this year...

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to Titanm21)
Post #: 80
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: The Future Of Superhero Films Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI