Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Images that Make You Go WOW!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: Images that Make You Go WOW! Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Images that Make You Go WOW! - 12/7/2012 9:14:51 AM   
hubu_phonk

^ That was cool as fuck

Straight in, no kissing

http://www.last.fm/user/hubuphonk

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 601
RE: Images that Make You Go WOW! - 15/7/2012 3:51:47 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

"Extreme Camping";

Kudos in abundance, here.

Art

Post #: 602
RE: Images that Make You Go WOW! - 15/7/2012 11:00:41 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: NinjaShortbread212

"Extreme Camping";

I'd be terrified of walking outside for a piss half asleep in the morning.

Post #: 603
RE: Images that Make You Go WOW! - 16/7/2012 12:02:50 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

I know, the image creeps me out just looking at it.

< Message edited by NinjaShortbread212 -- 16/7/2012 12:03:11 AM >

Art

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 604
RE: Images that Make You Go WOW! - 16/7/2012 12:15:59 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

"Extreme Camping";

I would totally do that if I could climb.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

Post #: 605
RE: Images that Make You Go WOW! - 16/7/2012 8:21:09 AM   
sharkboy

Not, as one might suspect, a still from Jaws but rather a close-up of a statue of Quint that has been created for the Jawsfest celebration

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 606
RE: Images that Make You Go WOW! - 16/7/2012 1:32:36 PM   
great_badir

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

A link to The Scale of the Universe

http://htwins.net/scale2/

That's fucking incredible.

And did anyone spot something called "the weak Force"? You mean the Force actually exists?!!!

Mind... blown!

I didn't even know there was such a thing as a yoctometer. It sounds like the sort of thing that Homer or Chief Wiggum (as in the actual Simpsons characters as opposed to the namesake forumites) might say when under pressure.

EDIT - I was half hoping that right at the end, larger than the Estimated Size of the Universe bit, there would be a silhouette of a large woman and underneath it would say "Your mum".

< Message edited by great_badir -- 16/7/2012 1:37:18 PM >

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 607
RE: Images that Make You Go WOW! - 16/7/2012 2:39:52 PM   
Chief Wiggum

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

I didn't even know there was such a thing as a yoctometer. It sounds like the sort of thing that Homer or Chief Wiggum (as in the actual Simpsons characters as opposed to the namesake forumites) might say when under pressure.

HEY! I would totally pull that word out of my ass when under pressure...

quote:

EDIT - I was half hoping that right at the end, larger than the Estimated Size of the Universe bit, there would be a silhouette of a large woman and underneath it would say "Your mum".

Ask and ye shall receive

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 608
RE: Images that Make You Go WOW! - 16/7/2012 5:35:09 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

Not, as one might suspect, a still from Jaws but rather a close-up of a statue of Quint that has been created for the Jawsfest celebration

A statue with hair on it?

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 609
RE: Images that Make You Go WOW! - 16/7/2012 7:02:09 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

quote:

Yep. A statue by Nick Marra of Quantum Creation FX, with hair added to it by Denise Leibee-Baer, who does speciality hair effects and make-up. First of 3 (Brody and Hooper to follow) that will be on display at Jawsfest.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 610
RE: Images that Make You Go WOW! - 17/7/2012 1:32:59 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

quote:

That's pretty spectacular.

Art

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 611
RE: Images that Make You Go WOW! - 17/7/2012 9:19:24 AM   
matty_b

This is the inside of Durham Cathedral, but it could be any cathedral, really. It just never fails to astonish me how something so beautiful could be built so exactly so long ago without any of the mechanics we'd use today.

Fries my noodle, man.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 612
RE: Images that Make You Go WOW! - 17/7/2012 12:23:50 PM   
Chief

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

A link to The Scale of the Universe

http://htwins.net/scale2/

That's fucking incredible.

And did anyone spot something called "the weak Force"? You mean the Force actually exists?!!!

Mind... blown!

When I was going to the smallest bit I half expected "your penis" to be there.

Post #: 613
RE: Images that Make You Go WOW! - 17/7/2012 7:30:18 PM   
sanchia

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap120305.html

Time lapse photographs from the International Space Station.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 614
RE: Images that Make You Go WOW! - 17/7/2012 9:30:39 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

This is the inside of Durham Cathedral, but it could be any cathedral, really. It just never fails to astonish me how something so beautiful could be built so exactly so long ago without any of the mechanics we'd use today.

Fries my noodle, man.

I sang in that building every day for five years. I never became accustomed to it. I never got used to it I never failed to appreciate just where I was. I was only 8-13.

The pillars in the nave there are interesting. The design on them was cut into each stone before it was constructed. When they put it together it created that pattern, as planned. Only, they forgot to take into account the mediaeval cement in between each stone keeping it together. So, when you look closely in person, there is a slight misalignment on each and every stone. Obviously it works out over the pillar as a whole, but it's there in small detail.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 615
RE: Images that Make You Go WOW! - 18/7/2012 2:03:30 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap120305.html

Time lapse photographs from the International Space Station.

Amazing.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 616
RE: Images that Make You Go WOW! - 18/7/2012 3:19:04 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

Quinta da Regaleira-Sintra ~ Portugal

An underground tunnel with a spiral staircase, supported by carved columns, down to the bottom of the well through nine landings. The nine hole round landings, separated by fifteen steps, evoke references to Dante's Divine Comedy, and may represent the nine circles of hell, paradise, or purgatory.

Art

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 617
RE: Images that Make You Go WOW! - 18/7/2012 8:26:47 AM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

Fries my noodle, man.

I sang in that building every day for five years. I never became accustomed to it. I never got used to it I never failed to appreciate just where I was. I was only 8-13.

The pillars in the nave there are interesting. The design on them was cut into each stone before it was constructed. When they put it together it created that pattern, as planned. Only, they forgot to take into account the mediaeval cement in between each stone keeping it together. So, when you look closely in person, there is a slight misalignment on each and every stone. Obviously it works out over the pillar as a whole, but it's there in small detail.

I go past it quite a lot when going out somewhere and just think..."how did you get to the top?!"

quote:

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 618
RE: Images that Make You Go WOW! - 18/7/2012 10:08:11 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Fries my noodle, man.

I go past it quite a lot when going out somewhere and just think..."how did you get to the top?!"

Me, I just used the stairs   Most of the construction techniques were similar to those used today - cranes and scaffolding - but obviously with a massively increased risk given they were all wooden and usually powered by men or livestock. Out of interest, did you watch Pillars of the Earth when it was on?  If not, it did give an interesting glance into medieval building.

I agree though, when you see the incredible mastery of stone that existed all those centuries ago you can't help but be amazed.  Durham Cahtedral is particularly impressive, as was Notre Dame.  And the stonemason's art is not restricted to Western cathedrals etc - I've been to Chichen Itza twice now and the construction of El Castillo still takes my breath away, especially when you consider that for a large part of the millennium or so for which it has existed, it was swallowed by the jungle and left to the ravages of nature.  Obviously it was all thanks to our extraterrestrial visitors

WWLD?

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 619
RE: Images that Make You Go WOW! - 18/7/2012 10:23:13 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

The interior of Liverpool Cathedral is one of the most impressive I've seen, but a bit less astonishing when you remember it was only built within the last hundred years. Still gorgeous though.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 620
RE: Images that Make You Go WOW! - 18/7/2012 7:19:07 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Following on from the Cathedral pic, this is St Paul's Cathedral, London. A familiar sight to many.

St Paul's is familiar, impressive. Consider the size. It is not a small building.

This is St Peter's Basilica, Rome.

Apparently, you could fit St Paul's cathedral inside St Peter's without moving any of the pillars in St Peter's. (Obviously, you'd need to remove the roof in this hypothetical situation.)

It is BIG.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 621
RE: Images that Make You Go WOW! - 18/7/2012 9:58:11 PM   
indysgill

quote:

Following on from the Cathedral pic, this is St Paul's Cathedral, London. A familiar sight to many.

St Paul's is familiar, impressive. Consider the size. It is not a small building.

Apparently, you could fit St Paul's cathedral inside St Peter's without moving any of the pillars in St Peter's. (Obviously, you'd need to remove the roof in this hypothetical situation.)

It is BIG.

Been there it is fuckin huge.

It's not the years honey, Its the mileage.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

Post #: 622
RE: Images that Make You Go WOW! - 19/7/2012 1:53:52 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: indysgill

quote:

It is BIG.

I agree, it's massive and absolutely stunning inside. I'd love to go back to Rome, did some epic historical sightseeing there.

< Message edited by NinjaShortbread212 -- 19/7/2012 1:54:10 AM >

Art

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 623
RE: Images that Make You Go WOW! - 19/7/2012 12:18:42 PM   
great_badir

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: indysgill

quote:

It is BIG.

I agree, it's massive and absolutely stunning inside. I'd love to go back to Rome, did some epic historical sightseeing there.

Yep - a huge place. Unfortunately the Sistine Chapel was closed (I like to say for painting) when we went, which was quite annoying. What surprised me most about Vatican City in general was that the area/district it's in is generally a really run down shit hole. The non-Catholic locals probably feel REALLY pissed off every time they walk by the opulence.

But yeah - Rome is great. Surprisingly cheap too.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 624
RE: Images that Make You Go WOW! - 19/7/2012 1:38:30 PM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

But yeah - Rome is great. Surprisingly cheap too.

It's great when you can say you survived it, ie. not getting run over by a bloody scooter!

Art

Post #: 625
RE: Images that Make You Go WOW! - 20/7/2012 2:26:20 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

The amazing road from Shimla to the Himalayas.

India's Himalayan roadways are among the oldest on the planet.

Dating back to 206 B.C., the Himalayas were an integral part of the famous Silk Routes, connecting Central Asia with South Asia and creating a bridge between the culturally and religiously diverse countries of India, China, Afghanistan, Nepal and Bhutan.

Starting out on NH22 in Shimla, the "highway" heads northeast through the town of Rampur, onto the villages of Tapri, Karcham, Kuppa and Kalpa. Cut somewhat haphazardly out of mountain cliff-sides, parts of NH22 have earned fear-inducing nicknames like "Freefall Freeway", "The Cutouts", "Breakaway Bend", "The Ledge" and "Angry Mountain". In many places along "the Cutouts", only enough rock has been blasted out of the mountains to allow one vehicle to pass at a time. The drivers have to both be aware of the 1,000-foot cliff they're driving along and scraping the top of their truck on the rock ceiling.

"Breakaway Bend" challenges drivers to dangers of the unnatural kind, too much blasting has weakened the mountain from below, leading to not only potholes but in some places, total roadway failure. The road could give away from under the wheels of the truck at any moment.

Art

Post #: 626
RE: Images that Make You Go WOW! - 20/7/2012 9:31:10 PM   
Woger

See link regarding authenticity.
http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/34221/photographer+explains+stunning+and+unique+whale+shark+image/

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

Post #: 627
RE: Images that Make You Go WOW! - 20/7/2012 9:34:33 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

The amazing road from Shimla to the Himalayas.

India's Himalayan roadways are among the oldest on the planet.

Dating back to 206 B.C., the Himalayas were an integral part of the famous Silk Routes, connecting Central Asia with South Asia and creating a bridge between the culturally and religiously diverse countries of India, China, Afghanistan, Nepal and Bhutan.

Starting out on NH22 in Shimla, the "highway" heads northeast through the town of Rampur, onto the villages of Tapri, Karcham, Kuppa and Kalpa. Cut somewhat haphazardly out of mountain cliff-sides, parts of NH22 have earned fear-inducing nicknames like "Freefall Freeway", "The Cutouts", "Breakaway Bend", "The Ledge" and "Angry Mountain". In many places along "the Cutouts", only enough rock has been blasted out of the mountains to allow one vehicle to pass at a time. The drivers have to both be aware of the 1,000-foot cliff they're driving along and scraping the top of their truck on the rock ceiling.

"Breakaway Bend" challenges drivers to dangers of the unnatural kind, too much blasting has weakened the mountain from below, leading to not only potholes but in some places, total roadway failure. The road could give away from under the wheels of the truck at any moment.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuu....

Post #: 628
RE: Images that Make You Go WOW! - 20/7/2012 10:37:47 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

I'm not the only one seeing a giant mouth, with a row of teeth at the bottom, eating that truck, right?

Bristol Bad Film Club

Post #: 629
RE: Images that Make You Go WOW! - 21/7/2012 9:47:12 AM   
matty_b

I wasn't, but I am now.

quote:

Post #: 630
Page:   <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: Images that Make You Go WOW! Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI