Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Source Code

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Source Code Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Source Code - 27/8/2011 6:55:39 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

I know Duncan Jones didn't write it (just as he was just credited as story for Moon) but he picked the script, which was floating around for a few years. It seems uninspired to not have anything significantly different to saw with your second feature.

And yes you were toying around.

"I was responding to your comments. I agree with them. It was solid decent fare."

I never said Source Code was good.

I would say that a lot of directors often follow their first film with something which contains similar themes - it is usually the third movie where they branch out.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 121
RE: Source Code - 27/8/2011 6:56:50 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

By Outer Limits I meant it felt very TV and not cinematic.

Fair enough, but the Outer Limits is decent as well - I didn't see you say you hate it. Thus my thought you thought at some level it was ok.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 122
RE: Source Code - 27/8/2011 7:01:08 PM   
Tech_Noir

If it were an Outer Limits episode I'd say it was OK as I'd accept the limitations of TV but it wasn't a TV special, it was a feature film with a $32 million budget and a big star. Although I didn't love Monsters, visually Gareth Edwards made a more cinematic film with less than a million.

It feels like Duncan Jones coasted through this film.

< Message edited by Tech_Noir -- 27/8/2011 7:02:28 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 123
RE: Source Code - 27/8/2011 7:02:39 PM   
Rgirvan44

Personally I think the story could have been in an hour long Twilight Zone - but to be fair to Jones the story doesn't lend itself to the cinematic vistas of Moon and Monsters. 

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 124
RE: Source Code - 27/8/2011 7:06:19 PM   
Piles

I don't see what's wrong with this and Moon having similar themes. Most of Polanski's work has the same theme running through it, a lot of Godard's, Bergman's, Herzog's, etc. It just shows he has ambitions of auteurshipI think.

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 125
RE: Source Code - 27/8/2011 7:08:01 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piles

I don't see what's wrong with this and Moon having similar themes. Most of Polanski's work has the same theme running through it, a lot of Godard's, Bergman's, Herzog's, etc. It just shows he has ambitions of auteurshipI think.

See thats the question - do directors go to material they are attracted to, or do they actully set out to be auteurs? I sometimes think it is more the former, rather than the latter.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 126
RE: Source Code - 27/8/2011 7:09:45 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Personally I think the story could have been in an hour long Twilight Zone - but to be fair to Jones the story doesn't lend itself to the cinematic vistas of Moon and Monsters. 

They could have developed the story to make it more cinematic.

SPOILERS

One the easiest ways was to expand on why the "terrorist" was doing what he was doing. What was so wrong with society/the world, etc. This was all skimmed over, making this guy a Quantumn Leap style villain of the week.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 127
RE: Source Code - 27/8/2011 7:11:31 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

They could have developed the story to make it more cinematic.

SPOILERS

One the easiest ways was to expand on why the "terrorist" was doing what he was doing. What was so wrong with society/the world, etc. This was all skimmed over, making this guy a Quantumn Leap style villain of the week.

But perhaps they decicded to keep it limited. I don't think they were aiming for "big" with the movie - wanting the ideas to breathe.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 128
RE: Source Code - 27/8/2011 7:15:58 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

The auteur theory is something French critics in the '50s conjured up. They were reflecting on decades worth of work from Hollywood filmmaker and noting similarities. In 2011 iff a filmmaker's second film is stating the same message of his first film it's daft bringing in the auteur argument.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 129
RE: Source Code - 27/8/2011 7:16:38 PM   
Piles

quote:

quote:

See thats the question - do directors go to material they are attracted to, or do they actully set out to be auteurs? I sometimes think it is more the former, rather than the latter.

I probably shouldn't have said 'ambitions of auteurship' because I didn't actually mean the latter of your two options. It makes sense that a director would be attracted to material that has the same concerns as they do, so their auteurship usually comes naturally I guess.

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 130
RE: Source Code - 27/8/2011 7:22:32 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

But perhaps they decicded to keep it limited. I don't think they were aiming for "big" with the movie - wanting the ideas to breathe.

But the ideas (of multiple universes, etc.) are big ideas. For me they didn't get communicate the grandeur of these ideas, instead it was stop the terrorist/bad guy, get the girl and save the world. They then fell back on Moon story/theme of evil corporations exploiting the little man.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 131
An Engaging And Imaginative Sci-Fi - 1/9/2011 5:42:30 PM   
blaud

I watched this movie knowing virtually nothing about its' plotline, but I soon settled into it, and realized immediately that it was a follower (but not an imitator) of such films as Inception. Being that I am one of the few people who found Inception a 3 star film at best, I was not holding out much hope for this after 20 minutes had gone by, Startlingly, however, the film picks up its' pace very quickly, and although some plot points may now be genre clichés and somewhat predictable, this doesn't tarnish the film's ability to feel fresh and original. Some of the performances are somewhat questionable in my opinion, however, and I felt that the script would have benefited from some fine-tuning, but for the most part, this was an engaging, kinetic, and altogether emotional picture that it something of a mind-wrangler at first, but is in fact extremely graspable, and much more accessible than other like-minded films.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 132
not that clever really - 2/9/2011 6:52:21 PM   
mclane1

to be fair its not as good as id hoped. I kept wanting for it to build with time and really deliver some twist and turns and Yes the twists were there but completely predictable and the tension dropped toward the end as opossed to built.
worth a watch but a bit tame on the thrills side after an interesting first 2 thirds.

Post #: 133
not that clever really - 2/9/2011 6:52:22 PM   
mclane1

to be fair its not as good as id hoped. I kept wanting for it to build with time and really deliver some twist and turns and Yes the twists were there but completely predictable and the tension dropped toward the end as opossed to built.
worth a watch but a bit tame on the thrills side after an interesting first 2 thirds.

Post #: 134
Source Code Review - 23/12/2011 11:15:17 PM   
the film man

Finding the human story amidst the action, director Duncan Jones and charming Jake Gyllenhaal craft a smart, satisfying sci-fi thriller.

Post #: 135
RE: Thrilling - 26/12/2011 8:12:20 AM   
jobloffski

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: theoriginalcynic

Source Code was a great film until they ruined it with the ending. It makes no sense, if he's living within the last eight minutes of her friend's life, how can he live on and more importantly change the past through a memory.  It's complete nonsense.  It should have ended with his life support machine being turned off. 

My thoughts exactly.

The film very neatly raises the quantum theory of parallel realities being created by the use of source code, and

1) When he gets the girl off the train, he survives BEYOND the point the man he is inhabiting would have died, and he sees the explosion which subtly implies a new reality has been created at that point, because if the eight minute thing was as solid a 'rule' as the scientists thought, he would not have been able to exist there past the eight minute point. But he did, briefly

2) He is still connected to the source code, so he is in two realities at once, the one he has created, and the one from which he came. It is pure chance that he gets killed in this parallel reality by being hit by a train (well, pure chance plus deliberately letting the train hit him so he can have another try at saving the train). This other reality continues from this point, presumably past the point of the radioactive bomb going off, etc, with Christina (if she survives the bomb) going on with the memory of seeing her potential lover die.

3) His death in the parallel reality returns his consciousness to the reality from which he originally came, but having lived in the 'past' beyond the point the person he is inhabiting originally died, the eight minutes of 'afterburn' off the dying brain is not the whole story, despite what the scientists think.

So, the main character can live on in the paralell reality he has created, was able able to contact the other reality by text because while the source code is being run, there is crossover between one reality and another.

The ending may be too cheesy for some, but it is both a happy ending and tragic story really, he (like the main character of Moon) is used heartlessly for the usefulness he can provide with no regard to human dignity, with the SC character even exploited after his service to his country and the physical cost of that.

And there is no plot hole in him living on in the newly created reality, since the film already showed time move on after the explosion earlier on. This was why he was so sure he could save the train.

As with Moon, a host of influences abound, but with the already established Jones trait, of a main character who is 'less than completely human' and has been exploited mercilessly, getting a chance to get turn the tables on those exploiting him, and doing so. Shame about the history teacher whose existence was 'taken over' I guess, but at least a very neat writer's bit there, a man without a future unless he 'overwrites' the life of a man whose primary interest is the past, and who was going to die in the train anyway.

Not as outstanding as moon, but pretty neat.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 26/12/2011 10:03:42 AM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 136
RE: Source Code - 26/12/2011 1:30:27 PM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

But the ideas (of multiple universes, etc.) are big ideas. For me they didn't get communicate the grandeur of these ideas, instead it was stop the terrorist/bad guy, get the girl and save the world. They then fell back on Moon story/theme of evil corporations exploiting the little man.

Because the ideas are nothing but plot details and by the end they stop making sense, the film works on a more personal which involves Jake trying to save and rescue the woman while dealing with his own demise. It works greatly on that level and this whole "It must BE CINEMATIC DAMN IT" (whatever that is) especially in an age where TV is being very "cinematic" is bizarre in my eyes.

Also, odd for a Cameron/Bay fan to criticize another filmmaker for using similar ideas.

(soz, low blow, ignore that last sentence)

< Message edited by Deviation -- 26/12/2011 1:54:52 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 137
RE: Source Code - 29/12/2011 6:22:09 PM   
The Big Guy

If other directors' sophomore films were as good as Source Code, the film world would be a better place.

That being said, if other directors' first films were as good as Moon, the film world would just be outstanding.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 138
ENJOYABLE.......... - 5/2/2012 12:23:14 PM   
chrisdagnall

JAKE G IS VERY GOOD, MONAGHAN AND FARMIGA ALSO. AS JOBLOFFSKI SAYS ABOVE........IT SHOULD HAVE ENDED WITH THE LIFE SUPPORT MACHINE BEING SWITCHED OFF....

Post #: 139
RE: ENJOYABLE.......... - 7/2/2012 3:55:33 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

The performances were good and the concept was also good,and to my suprise the 'ground hog day' situation didnt tire me as quickly as I thought it would.
Also the cgi moments were worked in well instead of being overly flamboyaunt.
Overal a decent sci-fi film which has a few twists and turns towards the end.

Spoiler:
I knew who the bad guy was almost instantly.Why would the camera pan to a background guy for no reason?

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 8/2/2012 11:33:09 AM >

(in reply to chrisdagnall)
Post #: 140
Source Code - 1/6/2012 5:23:54 AM   
norgizfox

It's hard to make a good sci-fi thriller after Inception, but Duncan Jones does a nice job making a film thats not only entertaining, but also satisafying.

Post #: 141
- 7/2/2013 9:39:54 PM   
TheGodfather

One of the actors says in an interview on this disc that he himself describes the film to his friends as "Groundhog Day meets Speed, with a little bit of Deja-Vu". That pretty much nails it, although all of those three films are better than this second film from Moon director Duncan Jones.

The fact around wich this films revolves is well found but at some point it becomes too much, a bit too much "been there done that" feeling.Somehow that makes if you use a formula like this one, but the real tension and excitiment never come.
Gyllenhaal and Famiga really try there best and the ending is cool but I always had the feeling that there was going to come some sort of climax but it never did. Halas.
It was ok, but after Moon I did expect more to be honest...

7,0/10

Post #: 142
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Source Code Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI