Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Source Code: Review

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Source Code: Review Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Source Code: Review - 8/8/2011 2:23:02 AM   
Edward9630

Source Code is a very good film. Its original, has a good story to tell and alot of scenes in the film was very cool. My only problem with the film is some scens in the film were a bit boring. I would recommend to go see this film.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 91
Re-assignment, really! - 9/8/2011 3:25:15 AM   
batbhai

It's like a bastard by-product of Deja-vu, Avatar and Memento with the first-half was completely like deja vu 10 times!

Post #: 92
Thrilling - 15/8/2011 12:51:31 PM   
aamoran10

a brilliant intellegent science fiction pick to rival inception and empire is wrong there is a Jones Gyllenhall Ripley commentry on the dvd

Post #: 93
RE: Thrilling - 15/8/2011 9:20:37 PM   
evil bill

Source Code is the latest feature film from the Director of MOON,Duncan Jones and again he gives us a pure Sci/Fi film with heart worn on it's sleeve.There is a little more action than Moon,a few explosions and even some well used CGI.But like Moon this shows once again that his narrative can be told boldly without excessive explosions and unnecessary CGI,and is a breath of fresh air for any Sci/Fi fan.Think Déjà vu the wonderful movie by Tony Scott,with a bit of Nolan's Interception thrown in,it's got that sort of feel.Warning though,it like Moon moves at a very slow pace for the first half but go's up a gear towards the end.

All the main cast are superb with characters you can believe in,and they handle the 8 minute repeat well,each time you the viewer learns something new.Vera Farmiga who is the love interest will win the heart of the viewer,for her every day girl look and acting skill.Gyllenhaal though is the real star in this,especially the way he carries the plot forward extremely well,the puzzle-within-a puzzle,is he dreaming,what is real and what is not.Also the photography is great, steady camera-work makes all the scenes believable despite the science of the story being absurd, but that's what makes great Sci-fi so enjoyable.And this twist and turns till your head spins,with a great final twist in the tale,that for me reminded me of Terry Gillan's final twist in Twelve  Monkeys.You end up having to re-watch this if you don't pay very close attention,though the wife ended up even more confused,second time round.

If you enjoyed the likes of  the recent film Limitless,you will find Source Code is as good,for the same reason,it is smart, intriguing and original. Most thriller/Sci/Fi movies these days want to be super cool,loud,full of guns,CGI and sexy girls,with a story line a 2 year old could understand.This dares to be aimed at true Sci/Fi fans who want there head melted,while trying to work there way through the twists and turns of a well plotted story.So this is one of those films that only harden Sci/Fi fans will enjoy,well No,the Wife hates Sci/Fi but she likes thrillers,and she enjoyed it apart from getting the head melted,so it's a shame this didn't get a wider cinema release.But it looks and sounds great on Blu-Ray,so let's hope Duncan keeps on track,delivering films to feed the mind and excite the soul.7/10

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to aamoran10)
Post #: 94
RE: Thrilling - 16/8/2011 12:21:06 AM   
thetruth

A very good film,with two decent lead roles.
Only gripe is it trys to be a bit more clever than it is,particularly at the end.
Comfortable 3.5 stars.

Without love we are dead

Protect children from vile and obscene videos

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 95
RE: Thrilling - 16/8/2011 10:39:03 PM   
theoriginalcynic

Source Code was a great film until they ruined it with the ending. It makes no sense, if he's living within the last eight minutes of her friend's life, how can he live on and more importantly change the past through a memory.  It's complete nonsense.  It should have ended with his life support machine being turned off.  The last eight minutes would have been a perfect ending.  Guess they changed it for the 'I love a happy ending' American audience.

The writer is telling us he's in an alternative reality? What happens to her friend (the body he's taking over) and how would an alt reality be created from a memory?

A four star film turned into a two star film in the space of five minutes

< Message edited by theoriginalcynic -- 16/8/2011 10:59:23 PM >

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 96
RE: Thrilling - 17/8/2011 11:57:00 AM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: theoriginalcynic

Source Code was a great film until they ruined it with the ending. It makes no sense, if he's living within the last eight minutes of her friend's life, how can he live on and more importantly change the past through a memory.  It's complete nonsense.  It should have ended with his life support machine being turned off. 

My thoughts exactly.

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 97
RE: Thrilling - 17/8/2011 2:30:25 PM   
theoriginalcynic

If the film had ended when it should have it would have been incredibly motivational.  Look how much this person accomplished in eight minutes.
Instead they ruined the whole movie.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 98
The Source of all the Discussion - 17/8/2011 5:35:48 PM   
TheMovieAddict101

It's not surprising to hear that Duncan Jones read philosophy as a young adult. His films have that kind of mental edge to it that challenges the brain, and it's good to see, albeit not entirely original. Jones expertly blends a great cast, action, mystery, suspense and thrills into an intriguing cocktail that may require a couple of full views to fully grasp it.

Post #: 99
RE: The Source of all the Discussion - 18/8/2011 8:56:19 PM   
szoni

a little bit confusing and not absolutely coherent.
It just came into my mind after I saw the film, why the title was Source code. Why they didn`t  choose a concrete name for the program like before Wachowski-bros gave theirs Matrix. Begin to suspect, because authors-creators themselves do not know what their Source Code is exactly and how it operates. I remember one scene, when Jake as Colter Stevens asks about what it is actually and Jeffrey Wright answers something like you'd not understand it in that short time.
Well, thank you
Anyway the film mostly was intriguing and exciting.

"Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one"

(in reply to TheMovieAddict101)
Post #: 100
RE: Source Code - 19/8/2011 10:32:57 AM   
ncc74656

It was very good.  Was suprised in a good way about the twist near the end

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 101
RE: Source Code - 19/8/2011 11:02:55 AM   
szoni

I rather was confused about the inextricable twist near the end

"Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one"

(in reply to ncc74656)
Post #: 102
Just when I was losing faith... - 21/8/2011 4:30:06 PM   
Cameron1975Williams

...this fantastic film rekindled it. Not sure about the ending though.

Post #: 103
Duncan James Proving To Be A SCI-FI Genius - 21/8/2011 5:04:57 PM   
simon001

Duncan James proving that english directors are going to rule the science fiction world. After his amazing directional debut with Moon i taught how could he ever top that but i was wrong because he does so and does it very well. Source code has everything you want in a sciene fiction thriller. It has the timeline that keeps the audience on the edge of their sit. It then incorporates time travel in a way that hasn't been done before. Jake Gyllenhall(zodiac,donnie darko) does what he does best and carries the film which is needed for the audience to believe this movie, they have to root for his character. The icing on the cake for this movie is that with all the explosions and CGI going on underneath it all is a love story which the audience can connect with. This a brilliant way of not letting the audience question the charaters decisions as everyone can relate to bad relationships with fathers and falling in love. This is not the last we have seen of duncan james he is one to watch out for in the coming years.

Post #: 104
Source Code - 27/8/2011 5:49:08 PM   
Tech_Noir

Are my standards too high these days? I honestly have no idea why people have raved about this film so much, it just felt like an Outer Limits 2-parter.

SPOILERS

Wasn't the whole idea of an individual being exploited by a cold heartless company/organisation covered in Moon? This is basically repeating that same social commentary, instead of the main character being a clone that's used, brain-wiped, used, etc. it's a soldier's consciousness that's used, brain-wiped, used. And before anyone says "That never happened in Source Code" it was the implication.

< Message edited by Tech_Noir -- 27/8/2011 5:55:12 PM >

(in reply to simon001)
Post #: 105
RE: Source Code - 27/8/2011 6:19:54 PM   
rich

It was entertaining enough in a small thriller format, but it wasnt amazing or anything. Moon was a lot better. Some of the main plot points were far too predictable. Still miles better than most other sci-fi movies this year though, and I didnt find the end confusing at all ( it does raise a few questions, but "what just happened" isnt one of them). Good performances and some nice music too.

< Message edited by rich -- 27/8/2011 6:20:57 PM >

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 106
RE: Source Code - 27/8/2011 6:28:30 PM   
Tech_Noir

I think I'm just out of touch these days, first Monsters now Source Code.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 107
RE: Source Code - 27/8/2011 6:33:11 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

Are my standards too high these days? I honestly have no idea why people have raved about this film so much, it just felt like an Outer Limits 2-parter.

You are truely an intellectual giant in comparison to the rest of us.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 108
RE: Source Code - 27/8/2011 6:34:03 PM   
Tech_Noir

Ah I knew it wouldn't be long before Rgirvan44 showed up. Deviation to follow with a Titanic or Michael Bay reference.

< Message edited by Tech_Noir -- 27/8/2011 6:35:37 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 109
RE: Source Code - 27/8/2011 6:37:55 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

Ah I knew it wouldn't be long before Rgirvan44 showed up. Deviation to follow with a Titanic or Michael Bay reference.

Actully I do agree with you - it was good, decent solid stuff.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 110
RE: Source Code - 27/8/2011 6:40:19 PM   
Tech_Noir

Oh dear, I know where this is going.

Can we have a civilised response. What are your thoughts on my comments.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 111
RE: Source Code - 27/8/2011 6:42:37 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

Oh dear, I know where this is going.

Can we have a civilised response. What are your thoughts on my comments.

Eh? Going where?

I was responding to your comments. I agree with them. It was solid decent fare. Won't be top of any lists for me but was an engaging couple of hours.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 112
RE: Source Code - 27/8/2011 6:43:18 PM   
Rgirvan44

Or do you think I was talking about Titanic? I was talking about Source Code. 

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 113
RE: Source Code - 27/8/2011 6:45:17 PM   
Tech_Noir

I meant the theme of the film was very similar to Moon.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 114
RE: Source Code - 27/8/2011 6:47:23 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

I meant the theme of the film was very similar to Moon.

Fair enough - but I am not sure why you went for me there - my repsonse about the film was genuine. I don't understand the "civillised response" comment. I was civil there.

As for the Moon-Source Code thing - the themes are there, as they are with Duncan Jones short film. I would say that science fiction in particular can allow you to explore similar issues in different templates - in this regard it should be remembered that Jones didn't write this one.

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 27/8/2011 6:48:43 PM >

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 115
RE: Source Code - 27/8/2011 6:52:28 PM   
rich

The whole of Moon had that theme though, this only really had anything like towards the end

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 116
RE: Source Code - 27/8/2011 6:52:43 PM   
Tech_Noir

I know Duncan Jones didn't write it (just as he was just credited as story for Moon) but he picked the script, which was floating around for a few years. It seems uninspired to not have anything significantly different to saw with your second feature.

And yes you were toying around.

"I was responding to your comments. I agree with them. It was solid decent fare."

I never said Source Code was good.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 117
RE: Source Code - 27/8/2011 6:54:24 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

I know Duncan Jones didn't write it (just as he was just credited as story for Moon) but he picked the script, which was floating around for a few years. It seems uninspired to not have anything significantly different to saw with your second feature.

And yes you were toying around.

"I was responding to your comments. I agree with them. It was solid decent fare."

I never said Source Code was good.

Dude I was not toying around. A two part Outer Limits sounded to me that you thought there was at least something to it. Sorry if I misread you. But I was not toying around.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 118
RE: Source Code - 27/8/2011 6:54:25 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

The whole of Moon had that theme though, this only really had anything like towards the end

It was revealed towards the end of Source Code what the company's intention was but it was still present throughout. Very similar to Moon.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 119
RE: Source Code - 27/8/2011 6:55:09 PM   
Tech_Noir

By Outer Limits I meant it felt very TV and not cinematic.

Moon felt cinematic. The train explosions in Source Code didn't even look as impressive or feel as impactful as the train explosion in the Caprica pilot.

< Message edited by Tech_Noir -- 27/8/2011 6:57:23 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Source Code: Review Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI