Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Best film ever.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Best film ever. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Best film ever. - 7/4/2011 5:58:49 PM   
cluesy

As you can tell I liked it. Clever, never boring, refreshing lack of action set-pieces that riddle the genre. And it makes you think deep, deep thoughts.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 61
RE: Best film ever. - 7/4/2011 7:05:30 PM   
Dr Lenera

Captain Colter Stevens, whose last memory is of his recent mission in Afghanistan, awakes on a train headed for Chicago with no memory if how he got there.  His reflection is of a different man and his wallet says his name is Sean Fentress.  Sitting opposite him is Christina, who obviously knows him as Sean, but then a bomb goes off and destroys the train.  He then awakes inside a chamber where, through a computer screen, he is told that he is part of the Source Code programme, a programme that allows him to take over someone’s body in this last eight minutes of life.  Earlier on, a bomb exploded and destroyed a train and Colter’s mission is to locate it, even if that means being constantly being sent back in time to the same place …………

I’m a real sucker for time travel tales, from The Time Machine to Back To The Future, and Source Code, which certainly has a few elements of Twelve Monkeys], is a good one and rings a few interesting changes on the idea.  Then again, during the film one of its character’s says “this isn’t time travel, it’s time realignment”, so maybe a better point of reference would be Primer.  What if a person’s last eight minutes can be recorded from their brain [a variation of a similar theory about eyes]?  What if someone else can, somehow, enter the reality of those last eight minutes, time and time again and can change the past?   This is fascinating stuff, and gets into stuff like alternate realities and time loops.  I love this kind of thing, even if when it comes down to it, it might be all nonsense.   Source Code is the second movie to come from Duncan James, whose Moon wowed many critics though left me a little cold, as impressive as it undoubtably was.  No chance of that with Source Code though, which may start off as a mind bendy science fiction thriller but along the way turns into something very emotionally involving, something which really surprised me.

We are thrown into the story headlong, with us witnessing the first of Colter’s mission ‘attempts’.  He finds himself on the train in someone else’s body, the woman opposite thinks he’s someone else, and the bomb goes off.  People not knowing anything about the film’s plot beforehand probably wouldn’t have a clue as to what is going on, and I really admired the cheek of writer Ben Ripley here.  It is only after this that we have the mission ‘briefing’, which is obviously holding back information which we will find out, in bits and pieces, later on.  After this the movie turns into something like a cross between Quantum Leap [there's even a cameo by Scott Bakula though it's very easy to miss!], Groundhog Day and any one of a million movies where there’s a bomb on a moving vehicle and it has to be found!  The first few ‘mission ‘segments are very repetitive and consist mainly of Colter thinking various people are the bomber when they actually aren’t, in scenes which have an element of black humour to them, but things eventually get really interesting.  Events are changed more and more, the pace accelerates, and things seem to build to a big action climax……….which doesn’t happen.  This is a brave choice, and instead we are treated to a really moving father/son conversation [not for the first time in a recent movie] and a climax which resolves around the simple switching off of a life support machine [these are hardly spoilers by the way, there are so many plot elements in this movie which I haven’t gone into] and some ‘living for the moment’ stuff which may seem like sentimental hogwash to some but actually brought me to tears.  It’s possible that this happened because I expected nothing of the sort from this film, but then I can be a really soppy sod when watching movies.  There is a freeze frame, and you will probably think “what a perfect way to end Source Code, so sad and yet so happy”………..

Except it doesn’t quite end, we go into another twist and an ending which is just cheesy ,the kind of rainbow and sunshine ending that so many Hollywood films feel they have to inflict on us even if it’s unsuited to the film.  Maybe it was as a result of test audience screenings, or maybe I just didn’t understand it, but it left a sour taste in my mouth, especially when it seemed to end perfectly a couple of minutes before.   Aside from a few plot holes, which in this kind of movie may not be plot holes at all anyway, and some rubbish CGI during some of the train explosions [I don’t know about  you, but CGI appear to be getting worse, not better], the one major niggling thing I had about Source Code is that I wished the  whole science behind the whole ‘Source Code’ premise had been explained a little more.  Now I often like movies that leave a great deal unexplained, but I feel that this one could have benefitted from a little more detail.  I kept expecting either of Colter’s two superiors to just go into that little bit more detail, just enough to stop my brain from working overtime and trying to work things out in my mind rather than focusing on the action on screen, which is what it should have been doing more of.  Overall though Ripley’s screenplay is very impressive, it’s  very good at revealing things about characters quickly without being too obvious about it, and I liked how towards the end I was made to feel a great deal of sympathy for Colleen Goodwin, who initially one was meant to really dislike.

James’ direction is superb here, tightly controlling the pace of the film and not feeling the need to dazzle us with fancy graphics, in fact there’s a real ‘old school’ feel to this movie, aided by Chris Bacon’s score, which is immediately reminiscent of Bernard Herrmann without actually copying him.  Up to now Bacon has only been an assistant on film scores but he’s a film composer to watch.  Now I’m going to say now that I’ve never really ‘got’ Jake Gyllenhaal, he’s always seemed to me to have a face that is more suited to Jim Carrey/Adam Sandler-type clowning around than anything else, though perhaps some of this might be that, except for maybe Zodiac, I’ve never been satisfied by a film that he’s starred in, and that includes Brokeback Mountain and Donnie Darko.  However here, he’s totally convincing in a role where he has to learn new revelations not only his mission but about himself in every other scene, and his chemistry with Michelle Monaghan, as Christina, is a joy to watch.  There is no real romance between their two characters, there isn’t time [though at one point I did wonder if Colter was going to do what many men would probably try to do and really ‘try it on’ with her because, in the manner of Groundhog Day, it doesn’t matter what the end result is when he can try it all over again soon!] but the two actors do a really good job of showing feelings for each other develop in a very subtle way. I’d love to see these two in another movie together.  In the end, coming away from Source Code I’m left with more of a sense of the fragility of human existence and how life must be enjoyed because it could end at any time, rather than action and things like ‘time continuums’, and I found this very satisfying indeed.

8/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to cluesy)
Post #: 62
RE: Best film ever. - 7/4/2011 7:53:52 PM   
hampstead bandit

just got back from seeing it

not sure what to think??

it wasn't as complex as I'd been led to believe from the reviews (including Empire), and in some ways it did not grab me emotionally, especially the middle which felt quite flat?

the science side of it also seemed badly fleshed out and quite unplausible

the 2 leads were great - Michelle Monaghan has done some great work in the past and this role suited her perfectly, and she is very easy on the eye which doesn't hurt ;)

Vera Farmiga seemed to do what she could with an underwritten character, but the one character I did not find at all plausible was the Scientist running the Source Code programme (sorry cannot remember the actor's name!)

In hindsight, there were some good elements to this film but it wasn't the film I though it was going to be - I found the Denzel Washington movie 'Deja Vu' superior in many respects and more emotionally involving

not a bad film, but not a great film either?

3/5 from me

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 63
RE: Best film ever. - 7/4/2011 9:40:58 PM   
redpaw

POTENTIAL SPOILERS

Okay, I've just watched Empire's interview with Jake Gyllenhaal and I'm now almost certain that Source Code doesn't work in neither real nor pseudo-scientific film logic. There is NO time travel in Source Code - everything occurs from with inside a memory. And yet the film suggests the creation of an alternate reality by its conclusion. So how can REALITY be affect by a memory? It can't - doesn't work on any level whatsoever.

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 64
RE: Best film ever. - 8/4/2011 8:43:03 AM   
Osbi-Wan

SPOILERS

quote:

ORIGINAL: redpaw

POTENTIAL SPOILERS

Okay, I've just watched Empire's interview with Jake Gyllenhaal and I'm now almost certain that Source Code doesn't work in neither real nor pseudo-scientific film logic. There is NO time travel in Source Code - everything occurs from with inside a memory. And yet the film suggests the creation of an alternate reality by its conclusion. So how can REALITY be affect by a memory? It can't - doesn't work on any level whatsoever.

Amen! And a reality that could only exist in a computer if Colter's life support was terminated, but then again wasn't that program to be wiped. Hmmm...

"Jayne, how many weapons you plan on bringing? You only got the two arms."

"I just get excitable as to choice - like to have my options open."

(in reply to redpaw)
Post #: 65
Love Source Code - 9/4/2011 2:01:17 PM   
sthorne4

Couldn't agree more with the review. Perhaps one of gyllenhaal's best performances so far and Monaghan is great. I can't wait to see how Duncan Jones' career pans out from now on because he has already delivered two great films in two years. BTW was Source Code one of the black listed scripts?

Post #: 66
Love Source Code - 9/4/2011 2:01:19 PM   
sthorne4

Couldn't agree more with the review. Perhaps one of gyllenhaal's best performances so far and Monaghan is great. I can't wait to see how Duncan Jones' career pans out from now on because he has already delivered two great films in two years. BTW was Source Code one of the black listed scripts?

Post #: 67
RE: Best film ever. - 10/4/2011 11:57:06 AM   
Jodan_King

quote:

ORIGINAL: Osbi-Wan

SPOILERS

quote:

POTENTIAL SPOILERS

Amen! And a reality that could only exist in a computer if Colter's life support was terminated, but then again wasn't that program to be wiped. Hmmm...

This bothered me and the soon to be missus too. I missed the Scott Bakula cameo! Where????

enjoyed it mostly though 3/5

"I'm storming your castle on my steed m'lady!"

(in reply to Osbi-Wan)
Post #: 68
RE: Best film ever. - 10/4/2011 1:09:53 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jodan_King

This bothered me and the soon to be missus too. I missed the Scott Bakula cameo! Where????

enjoyed it mostly though 3/5

He was Jake's dad.

(in reply to Jodan_King)
Post #: 69
RE: Love Source Code - 10/4/2011 2:21:05 PM   
paul_ie86

quote:

ORIGINAL: sthorne4

Yeah, in 2007

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-hottest-unproduced-screenplays-of-2007/

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to sthorne4)
Post #: 70
Ever so slightly overated - 10/4/2011 10:55:41 PM   
tysmuse

It's just not really thrilling enough, the ones that are there just get bogged down with too much mystery of the 'real world'. The film is slight for a blockbuster (90mins) so the plot moves fast and the immediate situation of the bomb on the train becomes secondary too quickly. As for the ending, well, it just about works.

Post #: 71
- 10/4/2011 10:57:45 PM   
sephiroth7

Much preferred it to Inception. Gave the audience credit for having a brain and, crucially, it was fun. Loved it.

Post #: 72
RE: Source Code - 11/4/2011 11:12:15 AM   
talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

I really enjoyed it and I can't help but think the ending was very much like the 'Quantum Leap' finale.... except with alternative realities.

Actually, the more I think about it... the more I'm not sure whether I completely got it.... which I love almost as much as I loved the Scott Bakula cameo.

4/5

*Spoilers*

The cameo was great, I almost wet myself when I heard him say "Oh Boy." I still wasn't sure it was him until I checked the credits.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this.
Only real issues were a few lines from Jeffrey Wright which made me cringe slightly and the ending, just a bit shitty that the poor host, Sean I think his name was, gets put aside and Jake carries on in his body, if this is what actually happened. Minor quibble.

Very good.

< Message edited by talpacino -- 11/4/2011 11:15:36 AM >

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 73
RE: Source Code - 13/4/2011 12:32:55 PM   
seansshack

Here is my extensive review of Source Code: http://seanryanmovies.blogspot.com/2011/04/source-code-2011-review.html

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 74
RE: Best film ever. - 14/4/2011 12:34:04 PM   
Hillsman

quote:

POTENTIAL SPOILERS

That's pretty much it - there was no time travel. He was literally reliving the last 8 mins of a person's memory. Though that would be too limited and too individual. So to allow Stevens to explore these 8 mins and interact in the manner of his choosing, we are expected t believe that the "Source Code" technology can generate a virtual or alternate reality based on a slice of time. How they were able to completely generate this from 8 minutes of a person's memory is, of course, utterly ridiculous. As you say, it simply doesn't work.

Enjoyable film though and good performances....it just always rankles when the theory that underlines these stories simply doesn't add up. S-F needs solid, believable & logical rules and it needs to stick to them....something even Inception failed on.

(in reply to redpaw)
Post #: 75
RE: Best film ever. - 14/4/2011 2:15:10 PM   
FoximusPrime

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hillsman

quote:

POTENTIAL SPOILERS

That's pretty much it - there was no time travel. He was literally reliving the last 8 mins of a person's memory. Though that would be too limited and too individual. So to allow Stevens to explore these 8 mins and interact in the manner of his choosing, we are expected t believe that the "Source Code" technology can generate a virtual or alternate reality based on a slice of time. How they were able to completely generate this from 8 minutes of a person's memory is, of course, utterly ridiculous. As you say, it simply doesn't work.

Enjoyable film though and good performances....it just always rankles when the theory that underlines these stories simply doesn't add up. S-F needs solid, believable & logical rules and it needs to stick to them....something even Inception failed on.

SPOILERS:
Now I understood the events as not being a memory or simulation but an actual reality - the doctor said how the physical similarities between Sean and Stevens, and the similarity between their brains' electro-magnetic (or whatever) signals, meant that the source code 'Quantum Leap' was possible for a limited period. So, while not actual time travel, it was "time re-assignment" across parallel universes i.e. altering the events that occurred.

He later explained how, even when changing events, it couldn't affect the timeline of Stevens and the main story - for example, when calling the doctor from the train, that universe's doctor may well have received a phone call, but "our" doctor never did and never could.

In essence, a new timeline was created, branching off from each and every one of Stevens' deviations from Sean's orignal actions.

For example:
[image]http://donlak.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/doc-brown1.jpg[/image]

Why he remained in Sean's body after his own life support was terminated? No idea, but maybe that universe's Sean ceased to exist as soon as Stevens inhabited his body ("creating" the alternate universe in the process), and as there was no tether in his own universe to which to return after 8 minutes, he just stayed put? Each unsuccessful source code seemed to result in him dying (I'm assuming being shot in the station had the same effect, albeit off-screen), so maybe that had something to do with it?

I don't know, I'm not a quantum physicist...

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to Hillsman)
Post #: 76
clever stuff indeed - 14/4/2011 10:19:27 PM   
bretty

Thought provoking and interesting this is so much better then Inception. Strong performances and a plot that emotionally involves you on a number of levels. Great stuff.

Post #: 77
Thought provoking - 16/4/2011 9:13:32 AM   
williamteh

A thrilling ride. Duncan Jones shown that he maybe the new force to be reckoned with. Better than Inception....maybe not. The last call to Mr Stevens was highly anticipated and Gyllenhaal managed it exceptionally well. First rate acting ! In real life, some may not have the opportunity to make a last call to their loved ones...

Post #: 78
RE: Best film ever. - 16/4/2011 2:44:13 PM   
kenada_woo

Really enjoyed it. The concept was clever and the emotional thread through the story was well paid off in the surprisingly up-beat/happy closing act that I didnt expect.

Gyllenhaal was superb and Wright chewed up the minimal sceneary he had.

Problem I did have is that, concept aside, it didnt really "bake my noodle" as they say. It was pretty straight forward and never really pushed the "mind-fuck" qualities it had stuffed in there but were never explored. And while I enjoyed the final act...if you think about it too hard, it didnt really make that much sense, but I wouldnt hold that against it. And Im not overly on board with the Duncan Jones love...can tell a good story and deal with emotional undercurrent in his two films...I just dont like his visual flair (its a bit cheap and 80's DTV sci-fi for me).

Anyway - Well paced and has a good Hitchcockian flair to it with a up-beat ending and a good turn by its lead. It just didnt push things further for me.

***/*****

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 79
RE: Best film ever. - 17/4/2011 8:33:32 AM   
jmebaby25

quote:

ORIGINAL: FoximusPrime

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hillsman

quote:

POTENTIAL SPOILERS

SPOILERS:
Now I understood the events as not being a memory or simulation but an actual reality - the doctor said how the physical similarities between Sean and Stevens, and the similarity between their brains' electro-magnetic (or whatever) signals, meant that the source code 'Quantum Leap' was possible for a limited period. So, while not actual time travel, it was "time re-assignment" across parallel universes i.e. altering the events that occurred.

He later explained how, even when changing events, it couldn't affect the timeline of Stevens and the main story - for example, when calling the doctor from the train, that universe's doctor may well have received a phone call, but "our" doctor never did and never could.

In essence, a new timeline was created, branching off from each and every one of Stevens' deviations from Sean's orignal actions.

For example:
[image]http://donlak.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/doc-brown1.jpg[/image]

Why he remained in Sean's body after his own life support was terminated? No idea, but maybe that universe's Sean ceased to exist as soon as Stevens inhabited his body ("creating" the alternate universe in the process), and as there was no tether in his own universe to which to return after 8 minutes, he just stayed put? Each unsuccessful source code seemed to result in him dying (I'm assuming being shot in the station had the same effect, albeit off-screen), so maybe that had something to do with it?

I don't know, I'm not a quantum physicist...

What he said. Each 8 minutes was inside a different reality. Notice his line, "it's the same train, but different" and how the lead female says "I took your advice" in a different way each time. It wasn't time travel, which is why the source code couldn't affect the reality it was in.

Overall I liked the film, but I don't think it was anything special. I don't think it was a subtle as Jones' thought it was. *****SPOILER***** the way the man walked off the train suspiciously and was handed the wallet and his awkward response immediately made me think "He's the bomber". Also, the fact that Gyllenhaal was kinda (although I guess not clinically) dead, was pretty obvious. Aside from that, it was a good popcorn movie, but much like the Adjustment Bureau, it could have been better. Also, I think that Jones' bottled it a bit with going for the super happy ending. A great finish would have just have been with the freeze frame kiss. I thought he was going to leave it like that, but alas it wasn't going to be.

I make the world wide web a little prettier.
www.hoylandwebdesign.com

(in reply to FoximusPrime)
Post #: 80
RE: Source Code - 18/4/2011 8:47:58 AM   
jrewing1000

SPOILER

While it is plainly obvious that the ultimate last few minutes of narrative of this film does NOT make any sense and defies the movie's own internal logic and rules (the boss of source code explains why, and don't try and use the whole 'they don't fully understand what they are doing' line, that's just convenient bollocks), this is still a fun, well made bit of sci-fi, and I'm very much looking forward to Jones' next efforts.

It just surprises me that the storytellers would keep the story going well after it's natural conclusion. Once they kept going past that point, the narrative unravels and falls apart, spoiling everything that went before it.

Possible studio boss interference perhaps?

ADDITIONAL SPOILER WARNING!!

The moment he finally dies, the tracking freeze frame was one of the most beautiful moments of cinema I've seen recently - perhaps the 'most beautiful death ever'??

Post #: 81
RE: Source Code - 18/4/2011 11:00:18 AM   
Jodan_King

quote:

ORIGINAL: jrewing1000

SPOILER

While it is plainly obvious that the ultimate last few minutes of narrative of this film does NOT make any sense and defies the movie's own internal logic and rules (the boss of source code explains why, and don't try and use the whole 'they don't fully understand what they are doing' line, that's just convenient bollocks), this is still a fun, well made bit of sci-fi, and I'm very much looking forward to Jones' next efforts.

It just surprises me that the storytellers would keep the story going well after it's natural conclusion. Once they kept going past that point, the narrative unravels and falls apart, spoiling everything that went before it.

Possible studio boss interference perhaps?

ADDITIONAL SPOILER WARNING!!

The moment he finally dies, the tracking freeze frame was one of the most beautiful moments of cinema I've seen recently - perhaps the 'most beautiful death ever'??

I thought it was well explained by jmebaby25 to be honest - it kept to its own rules all the way through as I understood it

"I'm storming your castle on my steed m'lady!"

(in reply to jrewing1000)
Post #: 82
RE: Source Code - 18/4/2011 4:53:27 PM   
Timon

A Physics professor has broken down the ending and says it DOES make sense.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/cosmicvariance/2011/04/12/guest-post-jim-kakalios-on-the-quantum-mechanics-of-source-code/

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Jodan_King)
Post #: 83
RE: Source Code - 18/4/2011 7:25:01 PM   
kenada_woo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

A Physics professor has broken down the ending and says it DOES make sense.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/cosmicvariance/2011/04/12/guest-post-jim-kakalios-on-the-quantum-mechanics-of-source-code/

haha that's all "if's" and "buts" and "I guess" wrapped in science "fact". Anyone can make up their theories of it all - that's part of the fun.

It just didnt make sense to me even though I did like it.

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 84
RE: Source Code - 19/4/2011 8:55:14 PM   
Roykfrapp

I have to be honest, I was not that impressed with the trailer for this although the premise is beguilling and with all the faourable reviews, became more enthusiastic.

Source Code is a blast. It has a gimmicky plot which is not that original, perhaps even Deja Vu which is very similar, didnt explain things as clear as the story here though. The film has heart too and thats always a winner.

It is ambiguous and perplexing at the start but less so as you enter deep into the strands of the multi-layered story. Lots of questions that need answers. Some get answered, some do not.

The rules in the story of 'time re-alinement' don't really coincide with the usual time travel myths and therefore, although fun working out what may transpire, it is the acceptance of fate being tampered with that doesnt sit easy. Perhaps the ending should have been kept at its bitter-sweet tone rather than have an ending that feels a little 'tagged on'.

Jake Gyllenhaal is fantastic and becoming a good leading man. His character menaces when needed and is restrained and thoughtful when required too. There is a Manchurian Candidate feel to the situation of how his character got into all this time travel malarkey. The rest of the cast perform admirabaly especially Jeffery Wright who is like some sort of Isaac Hayes clone, a mad scienist type.

I was one of few who thought Moon was a tad over-rated but loved the ideas and themes running through that. Source code has similar themes but at its best works well as a popcorn saturday night thriller that doesnt dumb down the audience at the same time.

http://www.freewebs.com/therewillbefilmreviews/

(in reply to kenada_woo)
Post #: 85
RE: Source Code - 20/4/2011 12:17:38 PM   
paulyboy

**Spoilers!**

Really, really enjoyed it.

My only slight gripe would be that although the film's obvious intention come the end credits was to say alternate realities were and had been created, it's not really explained - as well as it could have been at least - that the Source Code program was capable of such a thing. My initial thoughts based on Rutledge's explanation was that they were simply rooting around in the afterglow of someone's memory via a fancy interface they had built, not projecting Colter's consciousness over Fentress's for real, in the past, creating an entire other reality, which given the ending I'm assuming is what did happen.

My brain hurts.

Other than that, it ruled!

4/5

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to Roykfrapp)
Post #: 86
REPETITIVE,NOT VERY EXCITING, BUT WORTH A WATCH. - 20/4/2011 9:00:31 PM   
lewisb548

Source Code is Groundhog days with explosions, there is a smart well written script but while watching this, you wish there had been more excitiement. Michelle Monaghan had an under written role as did everyone aside from Gyleenhall and Farmiga, (Farmiga looking sexy as ever.) It lacks thrills and action, but when it comes too script and smart sci-fi mumbo-jumbo it's great, it is too be fair exciting too begin with but the exciting searching for the bomber stuff dies out through the first hour, theres a nice directorial style but near the end as the easily foiled villian lies chained inside the train, all excitement is dead, at this point Gyleenhall's character is piling cliches upon us, he's trying too die happy, trying too make it the same for everyone else too, bla-bla-bla, Groundhog day already did that, the ending is very confusing and very complicated it's a shame it wasn't well explained, decent watch, just dont expect a fucking thriller, or an action film for that matter, expect a softcore sci fi drama, lacking the dark writing material and excitiment thrillers need these days, good watch though, this my friends is a cheap DVD buy.

Post #: 87
Must see Movie for 2011 - 22/4/2011 5:58:31 PM   
soulfood

Duncan Jones has done a very good job on the movie. Jake Gyllenhaal is very good.
One his best Movie so far.

Post #: 88
Source code - 27/4/2011 2:04:58 PM   
trueborndjross

Source Code is well worth checking out. Gyllenhaal was excellent I thought as was the supporting cast. It's actually a pretty straightforward film until the last 10 minutes or so where I felt it lost it's way a bit really and I'm not sure that was the best way to end it. Having said that I wouldn't let that spoil the other 80 minutes or so which manage to keep your interest.

Post #: 89
Thrilling - 7/6/2011 8:29:29 AM   
djphilips

Source Code paints a vivid human story while delivering on the fun, while Jones and a capable Gyllenhaal contribute to a clever and beautifully entertaining science-fiction thriller.

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Best film ever. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI