Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Source Code

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Source Code Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Source Code - 29/3/2011 6:07:58 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
really wanna see this - 29/3/2011 6:07:58 PM   
megank13

I haven't seen Moon, but want to! This looks more my thing, Moon reminds me of Space Odyssey 2001, which was good/epically tiring to watch! hopefully Moon will be more my thing!
I am looking forward to this also, because I missed out on watching Unstoppable at the cinema, & i do love trains, & Jake Gyllenhaal...so yippee! can't wait!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: really wanna see this - 31/3/2011 12:18:58 PM   
superdan

I enjoyed it, above-average Friday night popcorn entertainment. It's not as atmospheric or gripping as Moon, but then that was so well done it would be unfair to expect it to be I guess. It's a well-acted, well-paced thriller, and the only (minor) gripe I would have is that the end felt slightly drawn-out compared to how tight the rest of the film felt.

4/5

(in reply to megank13)
Post #: 3
Duncan Jones is no Christopher Nolan - 1/4/2011 1:56:10 PM   
bobbyperu

Is this the start of bad "Incepion" rip-offs? -

Post #: 4
RE: Duncan Jones is no Christopher Nolan - 1/4/2011 6:13:34 PM   
thepluginbaby

Saw it today at an early screening and was thoroughly impressed. Had low expectations going in having watched the trailer and being sold a run of the mill thriller with sci-fi elements. Actually Source Code makes the most out of a great premise within a tidy 90 minute running time. There is tension, paranoia, mystery and of course some Groundhog Day style humour. There are a couple of similarities to Moon, mainly through Jake Gyllenhaal's character who exists somewhat isolated within this catastrophic situation and it does pull at the old heartstrings towards the end without being overly sentimental.

Definitely worth checking out.

"I have come to the conclusion that my gut, has shit for brains."

"Must go faster..."

My personal blog, ToBePhair, full of frantic movie/music/video game scribblings: http://tobephair.blogspot.com/

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ToBePhair

(in reply to bobbyperu)
Post #: 5
RE: Duncan Jones is no Christopher Nolan - 1/4/2011 6:36:23 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: bobbyperu

Is this the start of bad "Incepion" rip-offs? -

Didn't Source Code go into production before Inception made it big?

Source Code and Inception are Sci-Fi Action Thrillers. And that's where the similarities begin and end.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to bobbyperu)
Post #: 6
Don't even read the inception comparisons. - 1/4/2011 9:22:10 PM   
RustNS

This is what people want from sci-fi films. I loved these kind of episodes when I used to watch the x-files (I still do actually). Even towards the end of the film you're still not completely certain what will happen or exactly what it's about; job done in my opinion. Great resolution!

Post #: 7
RE: Source Code - 1/4/2011 9:35:28 PM   
R W

Director: Duncan Jones
Screenwriter: Ben Ripley
Starring: Jake Gyllenhaal, Michelle Monaghan, Vera Farmiga, Jeffrey Wright

Synopsis
When Captain Colter Stevens (Gyllenhaal) wakes up in the body of an unknown man, he discovers he’s part of a mission to find the bomber of a Chicago commuter train.

Review
If Inception did anything for future sci-fi blockbusters, is that a big-budget extravaganza can do more than just boom-bang as it can also have a brain and substance all the way through. Christopher Nolan’s film set a benchmark for up-and-comers and since then we’ve been seeing a number of Inception-ish works such as the Philip K. Dick-based Adjustment Bureau and now Source Code.

Duncan Jones (formerly known as Zowie Bowie, son of David) previously made his debut Moon, an atmospheric throwback to those classic 70s sci-fi films like Silent Running and Soylent Green. In the case of his second feature, if you want to see a Hitchcock-styled thriller with a Dick-like sci-fi plot, then Source Code is for you.

From the writer of the straight-to-video sequels of Species, Ben Ripley’s script is a tightly-constructed sci-fi piece, in which Jake Gyllenhaal’s confused protagonist embodies a train passenger in the last eight minutes of his life in order to find the bomber before the train explodes. If he fails, he goes back to this timeline for another eight minutes. So, to pitch this film in a very simple manner is that it’s “Groundhog Day meets Quantum Leap”.

On the basis of its trailer which gives the film a disservice, there is more to this than just having a mainstream appeal, as the sci-fi aspect goes into sublime territory and might lead to head-scrambling for the simple-minded. However, the heart of the film is the character of Stevens, who Jake Gyllenhaal brilliantly plays as this tortured individual who is put into a situation he has no knowledge of and doesn’t want to be in. During this mission, he develops a relationship with another passenger (played by Michelle Monaghan), which leads him to do an impossible task.

Although there are hints of Tony Scott’s Déjà vu, particularly in the film’s debatable final moments, Duncan Jones succeeds at bringing a Hitchcock sense of suspense as all the action is set within a train. The director keeps the film tightly-paced through its running time and yet there is an emotional core throughout, thanks to his subtle focus on the characters. However, the climax becomes one ending too many and goes into a kind of sentimentality which I found questionable.

While Gyllenhaal is doing a truly heroic performance, Michelle Monaghan is doing the most difficult task in which she replays the same actions and soon alters in response to her co-star’s actions, which she succeeds in a very down-to-earth performance. Both Vera Farmiga and Jeffrey Wright act as the two separate voices supporting Stevens, as Farmiga’s role is stuck between her duty and her positive attempt at helping the tortured soul, while Wright is the menacing pantomime doctor whose is more concerned about the success of his work rather than human loss.

Verdict
Although it lacks the atmosphere of his astonishing debut, Duncan Jones’s second feature offers than just a mainstream aesthetic with his suspenseful direction, its well-constructed sci-fi narrative and a fine performance from Jake Gyllenhaal.

Post #: 8
RE: Source Code - 2/4/2011 1:34:29 AM   
Schnorbitz

Agree very much with Kim Newman and RW above. Good film, sci-fi, romance and rather moving story all dealt with really well. Perhaps a bit too much of an ending, as RW suggests. But very much well worth seeing.

And, I suppose, the theme of the exploitation of a human/not-quite-human by the powers that be is also dwelt upon, as in Moon.

(in reply to R W)
Post #: 9
Great stuff - 2/4/2011 8:13:42 AM   
littlechris

Wasn't exactly what I expected but was all the better for this. My favourite film of the year so far.

Post #: 10
RE: Source Code - 2/4/2011 10:45:00 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schnorbitz

Agree very much with Kim Newman and RW above. Good film, sci-fi, romance and rather moving story all dealt with really well. Perhaps a bit too much of an ending, as RW suggests. But very much well worth seeing.

And, I suppose, the theme of the exploitation of a human/not-quite-human by the powers that be is also dwelt upon, as in Moon.

I noted this too. Thematically they're very similar, which is nice.

(in reply to Schnorbitz)
Post #: 11
RE: Source Code - 2/4/2011 11:02:26 PM   
vad3r

I hope this film flops so he can get back to making interesting films set in space rather than boring ones with a love interest set in America like 99% of movies released.

< Message edited by vad3r -- 2/4/2011 11:23:34 PM >

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 12
RE: Source Code - 2/4/2011 11:30:11 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

I hope this film flops so he can get back to making interesting films set in space rather than boring ones with a love interest set in America like 99% of movies released.

Have you seen the film?

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 13
- 3/4/2011 4:08:36 AM   
blindlemonpie

Good but makes you wonder how much better it could have been if Duncan Jones was making this without a studio looking over his shoulder.

Post #: 14
Another intelligent Sci-Fi film by Mr Jones - 3/4/2011 1:27:52 PM   
Workshed

As soon as I knew Duncan Jones was making another sci fi movie after his phenominal debut Moon, I knew it was going to be special. With an inflated (but by no means large) studio budget, Jones has crafted an intelligent, well written, character based sci-fi thriller that isn't by the numbers and genuinely keeps you guessing until the end. Unlike most films with a good sci fi premise, it is excellently excecuted and fully explored with a solid ending and enough twists and turns to keep you on your toes throughout the tight 90 munite running time. Gyllenhaal and Monahan are likeable screen presents and do well as the central leads giving the movie the love story at it's heart while Jeffrey Wiright puts in a solid turn as the driven authoritarian military scientiest behind the technology. Faramiga is also excellent.
Thematic comparisons ware likely made to the likes Groundhog day (repeating 8 minutes in time), Quantum Leap and possibly even Vantage Point but Ben Ripley's script encorporates all these influences in a fresh way that work well making for a tight and satisfying story. As an auteur, there are themes carried accross from Moon, namely exploitation of man for corporate/miliraty gain and there were even a few little cyberpunk ideas thrown into the mix but this is one of the best films I've seen this year and I'll be eagerly anticipating what Jones does next.

If he keeps up this form a certain Mr Nolan might have to watch his back.

< Message edited by Workshed -- 3/4/2011 1:32:19 PM >

Post #: 15
Crap trailer, brilliant movie - 3/4/2011 2:34:58 PM   
BatSpider

Much better this way around!

Post #: 16
Crap trailer, brilliant movie - 3/4/2011 2:35:00 PM   
BatSpider

Much better this way around!

Post #: 17
C'mon where's the extra star? Give it five! - 3/4/2011 2:35:30 PM   
Bighousewill

Excellent film Jake Gyllenhaal is on top form here I love him. The film seems to have lost a star because it adheres to a few Hollywood conventions i.e the "the estranged father son angle" and the love interest, I don't mind because its so damn clever the way it happens. Best film of the year I think, and Jakey is going up in my affections he may knock Leo off my top fav.

< Message edited by Bighousewill -- 3/4/2011 2:39:54 PM >

Post #: 18
Ending understood? - 3/4/2011 3:15:57 PM   
hemreyn

I too was a little concerned about the apparent slowing of pace and a concluding drift into sentimentality, I found myself wondering if their was a case of leaving doors open for a sequel (surely not). But hold on! what's this? Right at the end Jones leaves us with the horrific idea that in saving the many one has to be sacrificed - Colter Stevens now has overwritten his 'host', replaced his memories and experience with his own.
If there is to be a sequel then one that explores Goodwin's coming to terms with the implications of the source code process might be OK - but I'm pretty sure Duncan Jones would consign this idea to his uncle Davey's locker.

(in reply to R W)
Post #: 19
RE: Ending understood? - 3/4/2011 9:02:56 PM   
BatSpider

quote:

ORIGINAL: hemreyn

I too was a little concerned about the apparent slowing of pace and a concluding drift into sentimentality, I found myself wondering if their was a case of leaving doors open for a sequel (surely not). But hold on! what's this? Right at the end Jones leaves us with the horrific idea that in saving the many one has to be sacrificed - Colter Stevens now has overwritten his 'host', replaced his memories and experience with his own.
If there is to be a sequel then one that explores Goodwin's coming to terms with the implications of the source code process might be OK - but I'm pretty sure Duncan Jones would consign this idea to his uncle Davey's locker.

Yeah, that's the main question I had coming out of the cinema. Basically the poor guy is possessed! Or not. Maybe the 'host' (can't remember the character's name) actually does get his own consciousness back at the end, and Colter's moment of happiness only lasted 8 minutes. I'd need to watch the movie again. If there ever is a sequal, maybe the 'host' could actually have 2 personalities in his head at the same time (himself and Colter) - a bit like the old DC Firestorm comics. What a brain-fuck, but how fantastic to see a movie that makes you think afterwards. By the way, as brilliant as this movie is, Tony Scott's Deja Vu is still an under-rated masterpiece - technically as good as Source Code but darker and more emotional.  

"Baby, you make me wish I had THREE hands!"

(in reply to hemreyn)
Post #: 20
RE: Source Code - 3/4/2011 9:36:32 PM   
vad3r

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

Have you seen the film?

Why else would Vera Farmiga need to be there?

quote:

Post #: 21
RE: Source Code - 3/4/2011 9:55:59 PM   
paul_ie86

quote:

quote:

quote:

Have you seen the film?

She's not the love interest.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 22
RE: Source Code - 3/4/2011 10:04:47 PM   
vad3r

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_ie86

quote:

quote:

quote:

Have you seen the film?

The film is about Jake G, what other reason is there for a female lead other than to attract a larger female audience to a sci fi movie?
Even Bowie & Darko said during interviews they tried to appeal towards both men and women and that there is something for everyone. Studios won't risk a high budget blockbuster featuring an A-lister without a damsel in distress in there.

quote:

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 23
RE: Source Code - 3/4/2011 10:07:12 PM   
Deviation

32 million is high-budget? And romance is the only thing that appeals to women? 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 24
RE: Source Code - 3/4/2011 10:23:23 PM   
vad3r

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

32 million is high-budget? And romance is the only thing that appeals to women? 

Well it's six and a half times the budget of his other film.
Of course there are women who like many other genres, but I think you will find undoubtedly that the most popular genre amongst women are romance and comedy hence rom coms (2 for 1).

< Message edited by vad3r -- 3/4/2011 10:41:04 PM >

quote:

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 25
RE: Source Code - 3/4/2011 10:38:40 PM   
Deviation

It's still rather low for sci-fi and blockbuster standards, and unless they don't directly mention the romantic element, you can't really say this is why here are women in the film.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 26
RE: Source Code - 3/4/2011 11:01:28 PM   
simonmckergan1

Source Code was a film of pure brilliance. Great acting, story, but most importantly it had heart.  I would give this 9/10.

As you can see, my young apprentice, your friends have failed. Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 27
RE: Source Code - 3/4/2011 11:24:19 PM   
paul_ie86

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_ie86

quote:

quote:

quote:

Have you seen the film?

The film is about Jake G, what other reason is there for a female lead other than to attract a larger female audience to a sci fi movie?

Even Bowie & Darko said during interviews they tried to appeal towards both men and women and that there is something for everyone. Studios won't risk a high budget blockbuster featuring an A-lister without a damsel in distress in there.

She's his guide.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 28
RE: Source Code - 3/4/2011 11:39:25 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

quote:

Have you seen the film?

So you haven't seen the film then?

And as Paul points out, Vera isn't the love interest at all. She's a figure of authority. Which quells your non-point.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 29
RE: Source Code - 3/4/2011 11:44:26 PM   
adambatman82

Oh, and Moon had a love interest in it too. Or is it just Americans that you have issues with?

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Source Code Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI