Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Empire iPad Edition FAQ - Start here First

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire iPad Edition >> Empire iPad Edition FAQ - Start here First Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Empire iPad Edition FAQ - Start here First - 29/3/2011 9:56:17 AM   
James Dyer

Between this forum and twitter (@jamescdyer) we seem to be getting quite a few of the same questions cropping up so I've put together an FAQ of all things iPad to help people find the answers they're looking for.

So what is the iPad Edition of Empire anyway?
Just that, an iPad edition of Empire - all the content in the mag, along with trailers, clips and clever interactive bits.

Why does it cost the same as the print version? You save money by having no print costs and now you're ripping us off. You utter b*%$@!s!
If only it were that simple. Unfortunately, not only do we have to pay Apple 30% of the issue price, we also have to pay a further 20% in VAT (which print magazines are exempt from) so the iPad edition actually costs more money to produce than the print version. And that's before you even get into development and technology costs. The long and short of it is that we're really not trying to con you, maintaining the cover price is the only way we can keep doing this - in fact, it was all I could do to stop our brass from making us charge more.

I'm a subscriber to the mag, why don't I get the iPad edition for free?

A variety of reasons, many of which revolve around UK tax laws. However, we're now pleased to announce that for a mere 5 extra per year you can upgrade your subscription to a combined print/iPad subscription.

What does the 'Archive' button next to downloaded issues do?

That's a fancy term for 'delete' - it'll scrub it from your iPad.

WHAT?! So I have to buy them again?
No no no, don't panic. If you've already bought an issue then you can re-download it as many times as you like and not be charged (providing you're using the same iTunes account). I know the Apple pop-up asks if you want to purchase it but if you choose 'yes' then it should come up with a second one saying you've already paid and can get it for free. I agree that this could be clearer.

My issue won't download!

If it won't start at all then it may be a server issue at Adobe. Give it a few hours and try again. If it keeps happening and is quitting mid download then you may need to delete the app and reinstall, that usually fixes any download edition as it removes the corrupted part of the file that's causing the issue.

I've been charged too much/twice/not enough!!!

Anything to do with charging needs to be taken up with Apple as we don't have any control over it.

What's with the US edition?

The Uk edition is available in every country except the US and Canada, where a US specific edition is more geared towards US release dates.

Can I give someone an iPad edition as a gift?
Unfortunately not. Currently Apple offer no way to gift in-app purchases.

My issue no longer rotates!

We've gone single orientation, which means you can now only read it vertically. You can still rotate trailers and other video though.

But why?
Mainly as it reduces the file size.

< Message edited by James Dyer -- 26/4/2013 12:04:23 PM >

"Mrs Landingham, what's next?"
Post #: 1
RE: Empire iPad Edition FAQ - Start here First - 25/10/2011 6:19:58 PM   
guitardave

Is this app coming to the Android marketplace? There are more tablets out there than just apple ones!

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 2
RE: Empire iPad Edition FAQ - Start here First - 25/10/2011 6:24:21 PM   
James Dyer

Not for the forseeable future. The iPad is a device, while Android is a platform with lots of devices and therefore screen sizes. The iPad edition is very carefully laid out for a 1024x768 format, to do it for another dozen or so would probably kill us.

(in reply to guitardave)
Post #: 3
RE: Empire iPad Edition FAQ - Start here First - 27/10/2011 8:04:33 PM   
markramseycampbell

When does the iPad edition come out each month? The magazine came out today but no iPad edition yet!

Thanks.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 4
RE: Empire iPad Edition FAQ - Start here First - 27/10/2011 8:11:31 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: markramseycampbell

When does the iPad edition come out each month? The magazine came out today but no iPad edition yet!

Thanks.

See here - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3232204

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to markramseycampbell)
Post #: 5
RE: Empire iPad Edition FAQ - Start here First - 5/11/2011 6:37:52 AM   
Griffinpirates

Just wondering if there is any further info in regards to the iPad edition being available in Canada? Or has that ship sunk?
We Canadians are missing out over here! (Especially with the Spielberg special coming out)
Thanks

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 6
Online Subscription & Fees - 21/12/2011 11:24:09 PM   
billyjobob

Hi James,

First time poster but long time reader. In short... excellent mag, excellent iPad app. Nuff said on that.

How do I manage my online scripts ? Specifically I want to change the auto-renewal (which is a bit cheeky) so I don't get slugged for something that I don't want ?

Thanks Pal.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 7
RE: Online Subscription & Fees - 22/12/2011 10:57:08 AM   
James Dyer

Glad you like the mag. You can manage your subscriptions through your account page on iTunes. There should be a subscriptions section so you can stop it from auto renewing.

(in reply to billyjobob)
Post #: 8
RE: Empire iPad Edition FAQ - Start here First - 23/1/2012 9:53:37 PM   
Mrtickle9

I'm a subscriber to the mag, why don't I get the iPad edition for free?
You will. Now that subscriptions are in place, magazine subscribers will get the iPad for free - it'll be a few weeks till that functionality is up and running, though.

Hi,

Further to this post, is this now in place? I am a magazine subscriber, but before cancelling to get the iPad edition, can I get a free iPad edition because of the magazine subscription??

Many thanx
Paul.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 9
RE: Empire iPad Edition FAQ - Start here First - 13/2/2012 11:31:11 AM   
James Dyer

Sadly not. Our latest estimate is 8 weeks away. The reasons for this are entirely technical (meaning that I don't fully understand them).

(in reply to Mrtickle9)
Post #: 10
RE: Empire iPad Edition FAQ - Start here First - 5/3/2012 11:17:03 PM   
steviep23

Hi James

You said the ipad edition is carefully laid out for the ipads 1024x768 display, will this work ok with the (expected) ipad3s 2048x1536 display. I realise this is double so assuming it should work ok but just checking.

Thanks
Stevie

(in reply to markramseycampbell)
Post #: 11
RE: Empire iPad Edition FAQ - Start here First - 6/3/2012 10:12:23 AM   
James Dyer

I'm a little worried, I won't lie. If the new iPad is HD then hopefully it'll be 4x the pixels, which should scale up okay. Ideally we'd have to look at an HD incarnation but the filesize for that would be absolutely mammoth! We'll have to see what happens.

(in reply to steviep23)
Post #: 12
RE: Empire iPad Edition FAQ - Start here First - 6/3/2012 10:26:59 PM   
steviep23

Thanks for your reply James, the Empire app is one that I would like and one of the reasons I'm looking at buying an iPad, probably be buying one at the end of April so appreciate it if you could advise me if it is compatible before then (assuming Apple are launching the new iPad 3 tomorrow).

And thanks for correcting my maths, it is obviously 4 x rather than double.

Cheers
Stevie

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 13
RE: Empire iPad Edition FAQ - Start here First - 16/3/2012 5:00:08 PM   
Star fox

hi can you tell me how i can get my mag for free on my ipad it don't matter what i press there is no where to put my membership number in i have got subscripion which gets delivered to my house but i was told that i would get the ipad mag free what am i doing wrong i have the app but don't no what to do next thanks

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 14
RE: Empire iPad Edition FAQ - Start here First - 16/3/2012 5:08:38 PM   
James Dyer

I'm afraid free issues for mag subscribers, while someting we're trying to implement, isn't available at this time. I don't have an ETA on when it will be but as soon as I do I'll post it on here.

(in reply to Star fox)
Post #: 15
RE: Empire iPad Edition FAQ - Start here First - 29/3/2012 7:35:02 AM   
Fincher

Will the new edition be out today?

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 16
RE: Empire iPad Edition FAQ - Start here First - 29/3/2012 10:03:34 AM   
James Dyer

It's live now!

(in reply to Fincher)
Post #: 17
RE: Empire iPad Edition FAQ - Start here First - 12/4/2012 1:28:32 PM   
Lord Midas

You could simply provide an Android version at 1024x768 resolution. We can us the age old pinch-to-zoom gubbins to view stuff up close, just like we have to do on your website. I don't think many people would have issue with that.

Plus, most new shiny Andoid devices are coming out with 1280x800 type resolutions. So this would handle your iPad version with ease.

Please think about it, kthxbai.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 18
RE: Empire iPad Edition FAQ - Start here First - 16/4/2012 9:30:00 PM   
mightybeansprout

Is anybody having trouble using the forum through safari on iPad 3? Im having trouble with the tabs, when I open the forum thread I want I read away and that's fine. Then I see a post I want to reply to, I hit reply and a new tab opens with the reply to message box. I type my reply and hit ok. Now this is where things get messy. When I hit ok the original tab I was reading the thread in closes and disappears, I'm then left with the reply posted screen with option to view post or return to forum. Hitting either of these options then closes that tab leaving me with a blank safari tab? I've played around with the safari options but there doesn't seem to be anything to sort out the problem, has anyone else encountered this problem or am I doing something arseways to cause this?

Xbox Live Gamertag: Smartian rt

You see Doughal, these cows are small, those cows are far away. Small, far away.........

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 19
RE: Empire iPad Edition FAQ - Start here First - 23/4/2012 11:42:25 PM   
nautywave

Any update on when the ipad app will be available in the US? Not sure when you posted that it is TBD still. Just wondering, we are majorly lacking on quality movie magazines, and the empire magazine gets delivered way too slow because of customs.

Thanks!
~nautywave

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 20
RE: Empire iPad Edition FAQ - Start here First - 24/4/2012 3:40:20 PM   
graphicgibbon

Hi James Dyer,

I've been reading Empire for over 20 years and I always really enjoy it. But, I have to say that I'm getting a bit narked by the latest iPad issue which was overpriced and now will not restore to my iPad. I'm getting zero feedback or help or even a reply from anybody at Empire about it (three or four attempts to contact you now). Am I to understand that you no longer want my custom?

Here's the problem: I bought the May iPad "Prometheus issue" (number 275) of Empire a couple of weeks ago, but then a few days later had to exchange my iPad 3 for a new one as it was faulty. Now when I go back in using the same iTunes account and password through Newstand, your app refuses to restore the issue, saying (in a somewhat grammatically challenged way), "Regrant failed. Please log in with same user that has bought the app."

I am the same user who bought the app, it's the same account, it's just a different iPad. Why is it saying this? Can you please fix it? I'm betting something weird happened to the file name of the issue when you corrected the price from 4.99 to 3.99. And can I get a 1 discount on the next issue or am I expected to accept being fleeced?!

I'd really like a reply.

Many thanks,

GG

(in reply to nautywave)
Post #: 21
RE: Empire iPad Edition FAQ - Start here First - 27/4/2012 10:28:38 AM   
Neilrigger

I need a phone number to contact empire as I've paid 29.99 for a yearly subscription and cannot download it, any ideas? thanks. Tried e mailing many times but no reply( there's as shock).Thanks for any help I get.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 22
RE: Empire iPad Edition FAQ - Start here First - 27/4/2012 6:41:01 PM   
adrianatkinson

!

< Message edited by adrianatkinson -- 6/6/2012 5:25:58 PM >

(in reply to Neilrigger)
Post #: 23
RE: Empire iPad Edition FAQ - Start here First - 27/4/2012 8:45:30 PM   
Vmondo

I am getting bored waiting for the iPad edition to become available to magazine subscribers, how difficult can it be? I don't want to cancel the magazine subscription but as each month goes by, I become increasingly impatient!
What's the latest on this functionality?
PS great magazine!

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 24
RE: Empire iPad Edition FAQ - Start here First - 27/4/2012 8:58:07 PM   
Gary Bates

quote:

ORIGINAL: adrianatkinson

I have the same problem as Neil. Just downloaded the app to the retina display version 1.3.16. Then I subscribed for 12 months @ 29.99. The mag won't download and it wants me to pay again for individual issues!

Have tried deleting the app and starting again to no avail.

Hope you can help.

Thanks

AA

I'm having the same problem. Just updated the app and saw that the new James Bond issue was available & decided to subscribe. Clicked the subscribe button and paid for the 12 month option, but the latest issue didn't download. Am I missing something?

Cheers,
Gary

(in reply to adrianatkinson)
Post #: 25
RE: Empire iPad Edition FAQ - Start here First - 28/4/2012 12:10:55 AM   
adambatman82

Hey James, downloaded the new issue today (its my second issue of a 3-month subscription), and just wanted to praise the great work you've done with getting it retina-ready for the new iPad. It looks fantastic.

(in reply to Gary Bates)
Post #: 26
RE: Empire iPad Edition FAQ - Start here First - 3/5/2012 8:54:04 PM   
brotherharry

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Bates
quote:

ORIGINAL: adrianatkinson

I have the same problem as Neil. Just downloaded the app to the retina display version 1.3.16. Then I subscribed for 12 months @ 29.99. The mag won't download and it wants me to pay again for individual issues!
Have tried deleting the app and starting again to no avail.
Hope you can help.

AA

I'm having the same problem. Just updated the app and saw that the new James Bond issue was available & decided to subscribe. Clicked the subscribe button and paid for the 12 month option, but the latest issue didn't download. Am I missing something?

Cheers,
Gary

+1 more. Same problem for me too. Subscribed and have a shiny receipt in my inbox from itunes to prove it dated 27th April, but when I open up newstand and empire app, none of the magazines say download.

I've tried deleting the app, turning iPad on and off again, downloading via iTunes when connected to my PC all with zero effect.

(in reply to Gary Bates)
Post #: 27
RE: Empire iPad Edition FAQ - Start here First - 30/5/2012 1:20:36 PM   
applenjh

Hi James
As an Empire reader since issue 01 all those decades ago and an iPad downloader since you launched the app - I am another one of those thousands who want to continue with both media formats but I am waiting for some sort of amalgamation of print subscription and iPad subscription.

My iPad sub has run out again and I read on the forum that "the powers that be" are working on a combo package - before I sign up for another 6 month duplicate on my iPad is there any news when you will be offering a dual package?

Other than that frustration, the iPad edition looks amazing and has got a lot better (and downloads have got a bit smaller) since you launched so congrats on that!.

Cheers Norman

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 28
RE: Empire iPad Edition FAQ - Start here First - 22/6/2012 12:15:09 AM   
AaronGallagher1

hi, not having ever used Itunes - I know; unbelievable, but as you stated in reply to another post, i begrudge Itunes taking 30% of what i am buying - but i digress.

My question is, if i purchase the IPad version of Empire on Itunes, can i view it on my PC/Laptop.

Regards,

Aaron

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 29
RE: Empire iPad Edition FAQ - Start here First - 27/6/2012 7:48:56 PM   
Fincher

Is the new issue out today?

(in reply to AaronGallagher1)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire iPad Edition >> Empire iPad Edition FAQ - Start here First Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI