Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Sucker Punch

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Sucker Punch Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sucker Punch - 4/4/2011 2:49:30 PM   
Ralancian

I don't think were suppose to know but I believe she's is in Fantasy world at that point, what is really going on I'm not too sure I have my ideas though.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 91
RE: Sucker Punch - 4/4/2011 2:51:29 PM   
captainrentboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

**Spoilers**

What was with the bus driver being the same guy in her dreams? Was she psychic or some shit? Or was it to do with the whole 'angel' thing mentioned in the beginning?

I thought the whole angel angle of the story, was that Baby Doll was ultimately Sweet Pea's by the end of it all.
And the bus driver part might just have been how Baby Doll imagined Sweet Pea's eventual escape from the Asylum.
Of course, I could very well be talking out of my ass.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 92
RE: Sucker Punch - 4/4/2011 3:29:41 PM   
Ralancian

*SPOILERS*

captainrentboy

We could well be but further to your first post as I've been thinking. Of course the film is told by Sweet Pea (she's the narrator after-all) and is telling the story of the woman who saved her. Which is why the opening sequence goes to lobotomy but then cuts straight back with Sweet Pea saying it's not good enough and thus retells the story to make Baby Doll seams more glamours than the harsh reality of what actually happened. this is why the end sequence had the guardian angel type character as she feel the bus going off into the sunset is better than what likely happened.

Why it's taken me two days to get that I'm entirely sure.

(in reply to captainrentboy)
Post #: 93
RE: Sucker Punch - 4/4/2011 4:17:09 PM   
captainrentboy

Hmm, I like your thinking. It's good that, if you want to go looking for it, there appears to be even a little depth to this film, it's just a shame a few more of its detractors didn't pick up on that, rather than just coming up with the usual ''Annie Lennox covers?? Giant Mechs and Robots?? Within a film set in the sixties?? How bloody dare he!''
Hopefully Snyder will do a nice lil commentary, and clear up any of these potential story arcs, when its out on BR later this year.

(in reply to Ralancian)
Post #: 94
RE: Sucker Punch - 4/4/2011 6:48:45 PM   
Scruffybobby

Thinking about the film a lot of the "dancing as sex" stuff does make sense, but I'm not sure if that's just a way of projecting meaning that ain't really there. then again maybe that's Snyder's point. There's still a lot that doesn't really hold up

(in reply to captainrentboy)
Post #: 95
Awful - 4/4/2011 7:39:14 PM   
skeletonjack

I pretty much hated this. From the off it came across as a goth style music video and from that moment I was out. It gains an extra star for some brilliantly directed action scenes, but even these (and some very sexy women wearing very little) can't save the film. I've always liked Synders movies (loved Dawn Of The Dead and Watchmen, enjoyed 300), but this is by far his worst movie.
2 stars

< Message edited by skeletonjack -- 5/4/2011 9:16:08 AM >

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 96
RE: Sucker Punch - 5/4/2011 12:55:58 PM   
sparkwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

I was at a press screening this morning, and am surprised to announce that I actually really liked it. I'm not a gamer, not a big fan of the director, and wouldn't actually say I was a fan of action films, but this really impressed me. I was even really attached to the "emotional core" of the film too, by the end of the picture. It's Snyder's best after Dawn, and leagues ahead of 300 and Watchmen.

I agree with this Adam, including the ranking with Snyders other films. (ive not seen the Owl film but judging from the way it affected Matt Damon in that episode of 30 rock I think I might be giving it a miss!) The action scenes were the best ive seen in an action film this year and the characterisation wasnt a problem because the characters were obviously meant to be archetypes.

*SPOILERS*
Its possible to for a reading where the film is a comment on the demands of modern hollywood and its audiences perceived desires - Brownings character imagines a teenage demographic style hollywood action film as an escape from reality - at the end when she is lobotomised is that Snyder saying films dont have to be made like this? As Sweetpea says on the bus at the end -  its upto you how the story is told meaning in part the audience and what they will pay to see? Is Snyder making the sine qua non of teen-marketed action nerd cinema and then saying this is what im asked to make and what people are thought to want to see but its up to them?

I could easily have watched a whole film of those action sequences with very little inseted between. It would have been badly paced and exhausting just like Scott Pilgrim but I would have enjoyed it a lot - just like SP.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 97
RE: BRILLIANT. - 5/4/2011 12:57:41 PM   
Wild about Wilder

God what a load of old tosh this was i've said it before & i'll say it again Snyder is Mr Style Over Substance, as with his other fims looks good but the man can't write or direct for toffee as for the film like they say doesn't matter how much you try you can't polish a TURD!
Lets hope he doesn't fuck up Nolan's script on Superman although I wouldn't bet against it.
Post #: 98
File under 'Huge Disappointments' - 6/4/2011 1:02:58 PM   
Vitamin F

This is the sort of film I hate the most. The major letdowns. The category that still has Avatar as the King of the Turds. Something that should have blown me away by a director that hs impressed with previous efforts.

I went in with my expectations set suitably low, because the trailer just ticked too many boxes and so couldn't possibly live up to those 2 minutes...and I was still gutted as to how poor this was.

Yes, it looks fantastic. Snyder knows how to do ott action. But that's where the positives start to fade away, and that is sad. A bunch of videogame clips stuck together by a plot that is so waffer-thin that it's almost transparent, and no real logic to most of it. If this was Tron-like and the protagonists were actually sucked into a videogame or some such shite, then it might have worked for me on a plot-logic level.
But it isn't and it didn't. Big shame.

"Better than Watchmen"??? Get thee to Lennox House for a dose of Jon Hamm medication, cos thon's just crazy talk...

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 99
Generous 3 stars - 6/4/2011 10:59:39 PM   
danielthompson99

I like Zack Snyder's work. I am also fond of movies that are more "style over substance", such as Final Fantasy, Charlie's Angels and Machette.

The problem with Sucker Punch is that there is tons of style, and absolutely nothing holding it together. Snyder is a great visual director of great source material (Romero's DotD, Miller's 300 and Moore's Watchmen).

I don't know who wrote Sucker Punch. I don't really get what they were aiming for. The characters are so empty, just a bunch of nice looking girls with code names.

The imigary is also really mis-matched. I mean, I could go into a shop and buy loads of really nice ingredients to cook with, and throw them all into a big pan. Doesn't mean I can cook!

Lastly the dialogue could almost be forgiven for just buggering off altogether.

But then we'd just have a music video, which is 95% of what this movie is, which is a shame really.

< Message edited by danielthompson99 -- 6/4/2011 11:04:19 PM >

Post #: 100
The sad thing is, Empire *completely* missed the point, - 7/4/2011 12:52:09 AM   
Emibd

and as a result their entire review is off. Whoever watched this film, then wrote the review for the magazine, missed a massive part of the plot, and so ever since that, their opinion was going to be geared negatively. This film *is* deep, in fact there's an incredible amount of depth to the plot, but you have to go looking for it. This isn't Inception, Snyder isn't going to hold your hand through the film like Nolan did. You've got to figure it out for yourself.

The saddest thing of all is the amount of faith Snyder put in us, the audience. He thought we'd all be able to figure it out, but the majority of viewers have missed it. It's a damn shame, because this movie deserves a hell of a lot more credit than it's being given. Open your mind, watch it again. There are limitless possibilities as to what could be going on - how much more depth can a film give?

< Message edited by Emibd -- 7/4/2011 12:53:06 AM >

Post #: 101
The sad this is, Empire *completely* missed the point, - 7/4/2011 12:54:50 AM   
Emibd

and as a result their entire review is off. Whoever watched this film, then wrote the review for the magazine, missed a massive part of the plot, and so ever since that their opinion was going to be geared negatively. This film *is* deep, in fact there's an incredible amount of depth to the plot, but you have to go looking for it. This isn't Inception, Snyder isn't going to hold your hand through the film like Nolan did. You've got to figure it out for yourself.

The saddest thing of all is the amount of faith Snyder put in us, the audience. He thought we'd all be able to figure it out, but the majority of viewers have missed it. It's a damn shame, because this movie deserves a hell of a lot more credit than it's being given. Open your mind, watch it again. There are limitless possibilities as to what could be going on - how much more depth can a film give?

Post #: 102
RE: The sad this is, Empire *completely* missed the point, - 7/4/2011 3:11:23 PM   
Wild about Wilder

WATCH IT AGAIN!
No way it's about time Snyder used some of the millions Warner's have given him over the years & invested it in a writing course. It's one thing having a visual flair & an idea BUT it's another to get said idea on to the screen & this Sky Captain & The World Of Tommorow/Matrix/Moulin Rogue effort aint cutting it.
Also box-office figures do not lie people are not as dumb as you make them out to be.

(in reply to Emibd)
Post #: 103
- 7/4/2011 3:28:07 PM   
tasha57

I agree with a previous reviewer, it appears empire and many other critics have completely missed the whole point of the film. People who say it is 'sexist' and too 'self-indulgent' have clearly just sat and viewed the pretty colours on the screen. Sucker Punch is one of the best films i have seen in months, more pushy films such as the Black Swan and Inception shove the symbolism and meaning into your mouth and force you to choke it down so theres i nothing hidden to explore for yourself, but Sucker Punch leaves the viewer to make their own mind up about the meaning and even what is 'real' and what is 'imagined', this kind of film should be made more often. I tip my hat to you, Sir Synder.

Post #: 104
- 7/4/2011 3:28:10 PM   
tasha57

I agree with a previous reviewer, it appears empire and many other critics have completely missed the whole point of the film. People who say it is 'sexist' and too 'self-indulgent' have clearly just sat and viewed the pretty colours on the screen. Sucker Punch is one of the best films i have seen in months, more pushy films such as the Black Swan and Inception shove the symbolism and meaning into your mouth and force you to choke it down so theres i nothing hidden to explore for yourself, but Sucker Punch leaves the viewer to make their own mind up about the meaning and even what is 'real' and what is 'imagined', this kind of film should be made more often. I tip my hat to you, Sir Synder.

Post #: 105
RE: - 7/4/2011 7:04:06 PM   
Dr Lenera

The trailer for Sucker Punch promises a rather dark, menacing opening section followed by an hour and a half or so of women looking cool kicking arse in fantastical surroundings, and that's pretty much what the movie delivers.  Despite being mostly set inside the main character's head, and featuring two levels of dream state, it's no Inception [though it did remind me of Brazil in parts] and isn't really any more sophisticated than a Resident Evil or a Charlie's Angels movie.  The action, with the girls battling anything from zombie Nazis to demon Samurai, has a relentless quality which is pretty thrilling, but it is sometimes undone by bad CGI.   Two segments-a WW1 battle with zeppelins and planes, and a fight with robots on a train, have such inept CGI that the film looks like a cartoon….which would have been okay if Sucker Punch was supposed to be a cartoon.  Nonetheless Snyder is brave enough to finish the film with a downbeat ending and a low key wind up of the story rather than a spectacular climax.  I will say I was appalled at the film's '12' certificate-the amount of violence against women, both mental and physical, is very strong, and the whole film does have a sleazy feel which I wouldn't have minded so much if it had been given a higher rating. Overall Sucker Punch is, for much of its running time, a load of fun, and has a great soundtrack with surprisingly good cover versions of tracks by Annie Lennox, Bjork, Jefferson Aeroplane and others.  Snyder's become one of the few directors today who uses pop music well in films-I loved the way each dream segments have an individual song which serves as each section's theme.
7/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to tasha57)
Post #: 106
RE: RE: - 7/4/2011 8:20:13 PM   
5panky

I've read some of the threads on here & one of the theories about Baby Dolls 'dancing' is that she was in fact shagging guys to distract them, I can see it from the point of view that she was certainly sweating and panting vigorously and it would also follow that the bordello dance dream and then the further action sequence dream layer was added to cover such a horrible experience for her

But there's something that doesn't add up....if this is true then she shagged or was raped by 4 dudes before Blue tried it on with her at the end.

As he was the main man in the asylum I can't see how he would have allowed 4 other guys to have their way with her before he did.

I wasn't hugely impressed with this film but it might be the kind that improves with repeat viewings, I'll give it another chance

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 107
RE: RE: - 7/4/2011 10:29:49 PM   
jenhen89

I went and saw it last night. Always really impressed with Zack Snyder's action sequences, always so picture perfect to look at. I just wished he spent a little more time going over the script which I thought lacked a certain something,
The film kind of reminded me a little bit of inception, but not as classy, I read the reviews before hand so purposely went in with low expectations so I wouldn't be as disappointed. And I wasn't with the action, thoroughly impressed.
Took me a little while to catch on what was happening, but I though Emily Browning and Abbie Cornish really made this film.

(in reply to 5panky)
Post #: 108
RE: RE: - 7/4/2011 11:07:18 PM   
horribleives

Thank god for tasha57, Emidb, sparkwood, captainrentboy and Ralncian are here - I though it was just me. There's a hell of a lot going on in this film that quite a few of the reviews I've read seem to have missed. And I'm baffled people found it hard to fellow - the structure's pretty episodic and even if the sub-text of what's actually happening in the real world may not be initially obvious, the disparate dream realities are pretty clearly defined. I was put off at first by some of the reviews but I'm glad I saw it on the big screen - there's way more depth and emotional under-currents here than I was led to believe, and I was engaged in the fantasy sequences almosty as much as Pan's Labyrinth, which, despite being wildly different in tone and content, Sucker-Punch has much in common with.  And the early scene with the huge samurai things and Bjork's Army Of Me was staggeringly awesome.
So to anyone who's been put off and may just wait for the DVD - I'd recommend giving it a go, you may be pleasantly surprised (or you may hate it but that's what I was expecting to do so you never know).

< Message edited by horribleives -- 7/4/2011 11:08:57 PM >

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to jenhen89)
Post #: 109
AWSOME - 7/4/2011 11:16:48 PM   
bigollytg

All i can say about the film. this is how action films should be and can i give a shout out to the main villian who gave a standout performance. Zack Syder has done it again and created an amzing world that pushes boundraies and those that are saying the plot is week well A it is depp and b sometimes all you want in a film is girls guns and great visuals.

Post #: 110
RE: RE: - 9/4/2011 9:11:55 AM   
GarminForerunner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bluehawk

It looks bloody good. Like Scott Pilgrim vs The World an awesome film, only understood by gamers.

I'm a gamer and Scott Pilgrim was shit.

I do agree.

Brooks Adrenaline GTS 11

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 111
RE: RE: - 9/4/2011 7:26:44 PM   
MI Cruise

I liked Sucker Punch, it wasn't Snyder's best movie but it wasnt that bad either, it did feel repetitive by the third fantasy where it just zooms into her eyes but the action scenes themselves were decent. It is a fanboy fantasy movie young women with skimpy outfits manga style fighting killer robots and mechanical Nazis, however I would have liked to see Babydoll's dance (just to see why all the men were going gaga over it)

3/5

www.letterboxd.com/micruise1/films/

(in reply to GarminForerunner)
Post #: 112
Zack Synder wanted to destroy something beatiful - 9/4/2011 9:42:57 PM   
Zayd Awan

A visual spectacle with high octane action unparalleled by anything else Iv'e seen before and likely to see again. It seems the burden of following up such a awesome movie was too much for Mr Snyder show by the part 2/3 into the movie where not only does he kill of one character and cut all the glorious momentum the film had built, but then to destroy his masterpiece by killing two more, lobotomising the main character and having a cheesy unsatisfying message shoved down our throats at the end.
I really feel like he has taken what had the potential to be a classic gem and and replaced it by an unmoving disappointed tombstone on his career.
The single reason I give this 3 stars is in respect for what this could have been
Zack Synder has the weapons, he just chose to castrate himself with them

Post #: 113
RE: Zack Synder wanted to destroy something beatiful - 10/4/2011 8:05:55 PM   
hampstead bandit

I saw this, and have already reviewed this on Empire's forum, but would like to say once again I found it very original, and simply excellent

I will definitely buying the Blu-Ray HD once released :)

(in reply to Zayd Awan)
Post #: 114
RE: Zack Synder wanted to destroy something beatiful - 10/4/2011 9:54:58 PM  2 votes
Groovy Mule

I don't really know where to start with this one.  I really hated it, in fact I class this as one of the worst films I have seen of this year (or many years for that matter).

A lot of people have criticised the plot or lack of it (and I'll come to that) but in my opinion it is the failure by Snyder to come up with a single three dimensional or interesting character which really kills this film.  None of the five girls have much going for them other than the ability to stand around in their knickers and a pair of stockings.  Presumably to get anything out of this film you have to sympathise with them but we learn virtually nothing about them.  Emily Browning as the lead does, at least, get something of a back story but there is so much missing that frankly I didn't care and the fact that she doesn't speak for the first twenty minutes.  Pretty much all I know of her is that Snyder has dressed her up in a sex-shop version of a Japanese school girl's outfit and has made her up to look like a Paris Hilton blow up love doll.  As for the other girls, we don't even learn why they are there or anything beyond the most superficial details - Abby Cornish (older, sensible), Jena Malone (younger, impressionable), Jamie Chung (Asian, no discernable personality) and Vanessa Hudgins (trying to shake off the High School Musical franchise, nickname with uncomfortable racial overtones).  I knew nothing of them and I didn't care what, if anything, happened to them. Although the plotting meant I knew little would happen to them before the CGI fantasy sequences begun.

As for the plot, well there isn't any.  Snyder clearly thinks he has crafted an Inception style riddle within an enigma but this is nothing like as deep.  For one, the action sequences have no stakes at all.  Given that we know that they have to find at least 4 items, you can be certain that there is little peril for the first couple.  The action sequences are also far too long and look like video games.  The problem is that it is like watching someone else play a video game, you never feel particularly engaged.  Indeed, I did have a little snooze during the extremely long WW1 sequence.  Secondly, it's not difficult to work out which plane of reality you are in but the problem is that the plane of reality which you are in is often not the most interesting.  Whilst a CGI dragon scape is different, it might have been more interesting to see Jamie Chung's character completing the task.

Forget the apologists who tell you that you've missed the point.  There is no point.  Whilst this might be a film which will look good on your BluRay player and HDTV combo, you'd get more out of watching a screensaver.

< Message edited by Groovy Mule -- 10/4/2011 10:02:30 PM >

Check out my movie blog - Box Office Challenge and reviews

http://londonmovieguy.wordpress.com/

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 115
Sucker Punch To Your Senses - 13/4/2011 1:14:08 PM   
jacksoha

i cant believe this movie didn't get 5 stars! it is the most inventive and outside the box movie i have seen for a long time, It stays true to the Manga style and it has an unpredictable plot that leaves you thinking, its not a boring predictable mainstream movie. Sucker Punch had me on the edge of my seat the whole time and gave me the 'wow' shivers not to mention the awesome soundtrack. i left the theater feeling like i had just witnessed greatness and i would gladly pay to this move over and over again (p.s. i'm not a gamer)

Post #: 116
Sucker Punch To Your Senses - 13/4/2011 1:17:27 PM   
jacksoha

i cant believe this movie didn't get 5 stars! it is the most inventive and outside the box movie i have seen for a long time, It stays true to the Manga style and it has an unpredictable plot that leaves you thinking, its not a boring predictable mainstream movie. Sucker Punch had me on the edge of my seat the whole time and gave me the 'wow' shivers not to mention the awesome soundtrack. i left the theater feeling like i had just witnessed greatness and i would gladly pay to this move over and over again (p.s. i'm not a gamer)

Post #: 117
Sucker Punch To Your Senses - 13/4/2011 1:32:29 PM   
jacksoha

Post #: 118
I wish I was 13 years old again - 13/4/2011 2:38:51 PM   
bretty

Because this is like a wet dream for 13 year old boys. Sexy totty? Check. Pop Video style crashing soundtrack? Check. Mindless computer game type violence? Check.
The (slightly) clever theme of escapism was swamped by a number of scenes that felt like you were looking over your mate's shoulder while he played Call of Duty 45.
Visually I liked it and thought the opening scenes were well presented but it felt somewhat smug about how clever and radical it was being. Never thought I would get bored of ladies in their underwear, but I did.

< Message edited by bretty -- 15/4/2011 3:19:54 PM >

Post #: 119
RE: Sucker Punch To Your Senses - 15/4/2011 11:08:29 PM   
rebel_scum78

quote:

ORIGINAL: jacksoha
(p.s. i'm not a gamer)

No shit, son.

You're a fucking plant.

(in reply to jacksoha)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Sucker Punch Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI