Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Sucker Punch

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Sucker Punch Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sucker Punch - 1/4/2011 9:13:43 PM   
captainrentboy

I'm relieved to see a lot of you are liking it, or at the very least agreeing with Empire's 3 starrer, as I've kind of been dreading watching it since all these awful reviews have hit. I can't say I've ever watched a film that's had a stinking 20% rating on RT, that I've actually ended up enjoying, so this'll hopefully be a first.
It seems the critics were maybe expecting a little too much from this one, I don't know if they thought they were heading into Inception 2 or something, but there seems to be a big divide in opinion between them and your average film fan.  (Lots of folk on other movie forums are saying they enjoyed it too)
Oh well, I'll see for myself when I IMAX it up on Sunday.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 61
RE: Sucker Punch - 1/4/2011 9:17:00 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

I have a strong feeling that Snyder is gonna get a Bay-style lynching from critics from now on

The Guardian have already run a piece asking not just if this will cost him Superman, but also if it will stop him ever working again

It's highly unlikely Warner Brothers would drop Snyder based on bad reviews for Sucker Punch and the idea that he'll never work again because of negative responses to Sucker Punch is even dafter.

The fact he turned in such a polished action film in such a short amount of time works in his favour.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 62
RE: Sucker Punch - 2/4/2011 12:55:05 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

I have a strong feeling that Snyder is gonna get a Bay-style lynching from critics from now on

The Guardian have already run a piece asking not just if this will cost him Superman, but also if it will stop him ever working again

It's highly unlikely Warner Brothers would drop Snyder based on bad reviews for Sucker Punch and the idea that he'll never work again because of negative responses to Sucker Punch is even dafter.

The fact he turned in such a polished action film in such a short amount of time works in his favour.

It wasn't a particularly short production period. Casting was finalised in March 2009, so its safe to presume it had been in production since 2008. The film was shooting for 5 months too, which is a pretty long shoot. To compare, Source Code shot for just 8 weeks.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 63
RE: Sucker Punch - 2/4/2011 1:27:36 AM   
Snake-Eyes

Just got back from watching this film. What a Mess.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 64
Inception by way of Showgirls is no way to run a movie - 2/4/2011 8:50:39 AM   
r1x

What kept us awake were the scantily clad fillies, but even they were barely enough to sustain our interest through what initially promised to be an intriguing set up but which quickly fell into nonsensical delirium. The idea of having a dream within a dream worked in Inception because of the necessities of plot, but here it served only to pile wetdream on wetdream. And using it all to facilitate what would have been more akin to Girl Interrupted meets One Flew over the Kitty's Nest, made for a completely disjointed conceit.

If the plot had revolved around an elite team of scantily-clad gun-toting babes doing secret missions across different dimensions and developed the characters, I'd have loved it. Hell, if Snyder had opted for orphans forced into burlesque and sex and trying to survive it by receding into a dreamworld then I might have bought it, but not this double dreaming. The whole thing felt tacked together - in all the wrong ways.

You've lost yourself, Snyder. More work needed on your storytelling and your character development. Make us care.

Post #: 65
RE: Sucker Punch - 2/4/2011 12:59:32 PM   
Tech_Noir

Loved the opening - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQzG-3Vagrk

(in reply to r1x)
Post #: 66
RE: Sucker Punch - 2/4/2011 1:00:43 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

wont be seeing this at the cinema but very much looking forward to the blu ray!

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 67
RE: Sucker Punch - 2/4/2011 2:33:59 PM   
Ethanial

Now well over 12 hours from seeing it, and some form of sleep, yet I'm still filled with as much violent rage and bile about the film as when I was sitting in the cinema, I can barely put words to it. Still.

Fresh update 2010
Original update 2005.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 68
Sucker Punch - 2/4/2011 4:59:51 PM   
Whistler

Snyder knows how to film a stylish action sequence, but based on this I think he should stick to adaptations. I get the feeling he had all these ideas for kick-ass set pieces involving dragons, robots and robot-zombies, then he realised (or someone told him) he had to actually fit them into a story somehow - which he did, but it was a silly one. It just felt so out of place every time Babydoll did her thing and was transported into this crazy world of kicking ass. I was sitting in the cinema thinking to myself; "what the hell is going on here?"

Like I said, he can do action sequences immensely well, and with a tonne of style, but what detracts from them in Sucker Punch is the lack of 300 or Watchmen amount of violence. Instead of blood it was steam, instead of guts it was cogs and wires etc. Now I'm not a blood-thirsty, sadistic freak, but after the likes of 300 and Watchmen, I was expecting more.

As for the story, it seemed as though he was trying too hard to be meaningful/arty/complex (not sure what word to use here), but as I mentioned earlier, it was let down because it was a story that was layed over the action, instead of action which was layed over the story. All in all, a disappointment. Zack, stick to adaptations because no-one does them better than you. Bring on Superman.

< Message edited by Whistler -- 2/4/2011 5:01:25 PM >

Post #: 69
RE: Sucker Punch - 2/4/2011 5:03:27 PM   
Tech_Noir

I don't understand the hate this film is getting.

There are so many other blockbusters with less story and not even a fraction of the style of Sucker Punch.

I mean most people liked Tron Legacy for the visuals and music, why can't the same apply here?

(in reply to Ethanial)
Post #: 70
RE: Sucker Punch - 2/4/2011 5:05:55 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

The negative responses here are giving me high hopes for the movie, i really think i'm going to love it when i pick it up.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 71
RE: Sucker Punch - 2/4/2011 5:16:08 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

I don't understand the hate this film is getting.

Film is subjective and not everybody shares the same opinion on one thing. It's not that hard to understand really.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 72
RE: Sucker Punch - 2/4/2011 5:17:02 PM   
hairymonster11

Style over substance but i still found myself enjoying it when it descended into mindless action plus who doesn't like giant samurai with a mini-gun. Could have done a lot of things better. The story was utter trash but i didn't really expect anything less

It smells like Gods Vagina

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 73
Total crap from start to finish - 2/4/2011 9:20:27 PM   
alsybroth

An apt time to release Sucker Punch, as this film felt like one big April Fools gag.

Burlesque chicks, cyborgs, dragons, steampunk nazis and minigun wielding samurais in one film may sound cool but in truth they're there to cover up a thin plot that's devoid of any genuine drama, tension, substance or purpose other than to solely satisfy the juvenile fanboy self-indulgance of Zack Snyder. Now I've been favourable of Snyder's films to date, but this isn't a film, its an incoherant 2-hour Nerdgasm, that only pre-pubescant ADHD sufferers or Snyder himself can enjoy. Its bollocks, complete and utter bollocks and the worst film of 2011 so far.

Post #: 74
RE: Total crap from start to finish - 2/4/2011 11:41:36 PM   
Gazme

Shittest idea for a film ever.

The real life...and the brothel bits were mind numbingly boring and ruined by terrible acting and awful one dimensional characters.

The sorta make belief bits at least a couple of them were kinda cool, but utterly pointless. They didnt affect the plot at all, utterly pointless and impossible to care about...though cool.

Some of the real life bits at the beginning which were essentially music videos were actually really good...as music videos, crap film.

I know I shouldnt feel sexist for saying this, but they just looked kinda crap with the weapons. The blonde one's about 4 feet tall and skinny as hell, does not look in any way believable with the samurai sword bits. Michelle Yeoh in Crouching Tiger is probably the sort of awesome they were aiming for, just as crap as the bints in Dead or Alive :)

(in reply to alsybroth)
Post #: 75
PART ENTERTAINING, MOSTLY POINTLESS - 3/4/2011 12:59:53 AM   
DMeister

The visuals are striking, the soundtrack cool and actors pretty but Snyder has created something that's rich in ambition but ends up being completely pointless. It just doesn't work.

Post #: 76
As Expected - 3/4/2011 3:57:01 AM   
Guvnor

It was pretty much what I expected....it'll be popular with 14 year olds. Don't go in expecting Inceprion-lite...it's not that clever. On the positive side the action sequences were pretty spectacular - if only a story could have been written around them.

Post #: 77
Sucker Punch - 3/4/2011 7:42:44 PM   
Scruffybobby

SPOILERS

As a trailer Sucker Punch is pretty awesome, as a film it's - well - not. It looks fantastic, with some truly spectacular visuals but it makes absolutely no sense. Even within the parameters of it's own fantasy universe(s) there's little or no logic to be found. We apparently see things from Babydoll's perspective - but there's plenty going on here that she's not witness to. Is all of the bordello/alien world stuff in her head? Are all the girls sharing the fantasy? That Sweet Pea ends up on a bus driven by Scott Glenn's Wise Man suggests that they might be on some level but ultimately your guess is as good as mine.

The worlds themselves and the action scenes within are superbly realised. From a snowy Japanese temple showdown with giant Samurai, via trench warfare amid ruined cathedrals to aerial battes with dragons somewhere akin to Mordor Snyder has created some truly fantastic eye candy. This also applies to the cast, who are given little to do other than look sexy in skimpy outfits which they manage to do perfectly well. It's just a pity that it's hard to care about any of them.

The ending is actually surprising and somewhat bleak, with Babydoll apparently willingly undergoing the very procedure she had being trying to escape. Unfortunately it also makes very little sense. Where the intent was presumably to bring tears to the eyes or an appreciation of some deep truth it brings only a bemused "Huh?"

Wait for the dvd/blu-ray then play it on the biggest tv you can find. Then you can skip all the "plot" stuff and just watch the action bits. Or just watch the trailer about 50 times in a row. It will make as much sense

< Message edited by Scruffybobby -- 3/4/2011 7:45:57 PM >

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to Guvnor)
Post #: 78
Bad ending - 3/4/2011 7:56:49 PM   
Sanya

I didn't expect good script ,good acting ,but expected like group of hot mindless girls blowing the shit out of everithing in their world imaginary world & I get it,but for what Snyder ended it with cruel truth of life,I expected fun to the end and got brain damage at the end,fow what?

Post #: 79
RE: Sucker Punch - 3/4/2011 11:12:15 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ethanial

Now well over 12 hours from seeing it, and some form of sleep, yet I'm still filled with as much violent rage and bile about the film as when I was sitting in the cinema, I can barely put words to it. Still.

I'm the opposite. Completely enjoyed it when I saw it (last Tuesday), but now, less than a week later I can't really understand what it was that I liked about it. It was fine, that' about it. It's been completely shown up by a pair of genuinely amazing releases theatrically this week too (Source Code and Essential Killing).

(in reply to Ethanial)
Post #: 80
Well, that happened. - 4/4/2011 12:18:37 AM   
sephiroth7

"Ambitious and visually impressive as a pop-video mash-up, but, lacking a strong emotional core, it doesn’t quite cohere as a fully satisfying movie." Which is a really nice way of saying it's shit, which it is. 3 stars just ain't what they used to be. Risible garbage.

Post #: 81
RE: Sucker Punch - 4/4/2011 12:56:04 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

I was at a press screening this morning, and am surprised to announce that I actually really liked it. I'm not a gamer, not a big fan of the director, and wouldn't actually say I was a fan of action films, but this really impressed me. I was even really attached to the "emotional core" of the film too, by the end of the picture. It's Snyder's best after Dawn, and leagues ahead of 300 and Watchmen.

Legends of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole is Snyder's best, then this, the 300 .................................................... then Watchmen. Not seen the Dawn remake.

I kinda like 300 for what it is, and this is in the same sort of boat: shit, but entertaining shit. Like Transformers, for that matter. Snyder and Bay: I have time for them both, really.

I liked Scott Glenn as Colombo.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 82
Made me think Zack Snyder's never read a book - 4/4/2011 2:35:41 AM   
Wozza31

It was shallow nonsense and, essentially, shit, but the time did fly past (unlike 300) and the action sequences were great fun. The most frustrating thing really was that really it was a video game in the wrong medium so you couldn't play the awesome action sequences or skip the appalling cut scenes (about 70% of the movie).

Post #: 83
RE: Sucker Punch - 4/4/2011 10:23:49 AM   
captainrentboy

Saw it last night and enjoyed it. Sure it was Snyder's worst effort by far, he's clearly more capable (at this moment in his career) at directing adaptations or basically someone else's story, than he is doing it all himself, from scratch. But this film wasn't awful enough to leave me wanting him banished from Hollywood and then killed, like it seems to have so many other critics.
The story was admitedely dire and overly basic, although thankfully and unlike Battle-LA, its well shot action sequences just about saved it.
I thought those 4 dream sequences were really fantastic, absolutely gorgeous to look at, with fight scenes and shoot outs that really show what a capable director Snyder is when it comes to this type of stuff. I wouldn't say the main content of any dream was particularly original, but he put enough of his own spin on them to still make them entertaining.
That fight on the robot train was a fave of mine, which was a surprise as most folk seemed to agree they got worse as they went along.
It was also a nice change to see some women convincingly kicking ass in a western big budget movie. Jena Malone and Abbie Cornish in particular look like they paid attention at pre-filming fight school.
Other than that, it was merely watchable, I was never bored and the runtime generally flew by, so it didn't outstay its welcome.
I'm still not sure why Chung or Hudgens were in the movie, Hudgens in particular was bloody awful. They largely had nothing to do but stand around in their skimpies an..... Ohh, that's why.
Anyway, it juuuust scraped a 3/5 from me.
Everyone else in my group of 6 guys and 2 girls enjoyed it too, so I'm still quite shocked it went that low over at Rotten Tomatoes.

Post #: 84
RE: Sucker Punch - 4/4/2011 11:09:20 AM   
paul_ie86

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

like 300 it is shit

Fixed that for you homer

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 85
RE: Sucker Punch - 4/4/2011 12:46:57 PM   
Gazme

quote:

I kinda like 300 for what it is, and this is in the same sort of boat: shit, but entertaining shit.

I love 300, Ive never managed to watch it through (apart from in the cinema) without skipping through to all the action scenes...its similar in that the action scenes are awesome but sparse and mixed in with mind numbingly boring non action bits.

I think its better than Sucker Punch, the fight scenes are far more awesome and believable...in that they look more natural...since hes a massively beefy Scotsman battering people instead of an anorexic midget who in real life wouldnt be able to lift up a sword and even in a dreamworld looks crap with it.

300 at least had awesome actors being awesome and I at least cared whether their characters lived or died. I wanted everyone in sucker punch dead every second of the film in the hope it would end and I could go home.

On sucker punch though...I do wonder what she was doing to distract everyone in the real world when all she was doing in the brothel world was dancing.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 86
RE: Sucker Punch - 4/4/2011 12:54:59 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gazme

quote:

I kinda like 300 for what it is, and this is in the same sort of boat: shit, but entertaining shit.

I love 300, Ive never managed to watch it through (apart from in the cinema) without skipping through to all the action scenes...its similar in that the action scenes are awesome but sparse and mixed in with mind numbingly boring non action bits.

I think its better than Sucker Punch, the fight scenes are far more awesome and believable...in that they look more natural...since hes a massively beefy Scotsman battering people instead of an anorexic midget who in real life wouldnt be able to lift up a sword and even in a dreamworld looks crap with it.

300 at least had awesome actors being awesome and I at least cared whether their characters lived or died. I wanted everyone in sucker punch dead every second of the film in the hope it would end and I could go home.

On sucker punch though...I do wonder what she was doing to distract everyone in the real world when all she was doing in the brothel world was dancing.

Shagging them? Isn't it pretty heavily implied that Amber had to have sex with the "mayor" in the real world, in order to steal the key.

(in reply to Gazme)
Post #: 87
RE: Sucker Punch - 4/4/2011 1:53:14 PM   
captainrentboy

How can you love 300 and care about the fate of its characters, yet feel the need to skip through the entire film whenever you watch it?
I'm pretty sure that's not the definition of loving a movie.

For some reason it didn't dawn on me until this morning that dancing in the burlesque dream world, more than likely meant they were boinking the various men in the real world. God damn I'm slow.
Whilst I was watching it I assumed that the various 'layers' of the dreams, including the burlesque one, were all how Baby Doll saw it in her mind, to glamorise and cope with the shittiness of the actual reality. Yet, other folk are saying the whole burlesque side of it was actually how Sweet Pea imagined it all. Although I'm not sure that adds up. 

Post #: 88
RE: Sucker Punch - 4/4/2011 2:20:43 PM   
Ralancian

quote:

ORIGINAL: captainrentboy
For some reason it didn't dawn on me until this morning that dancing in the burlesque dream world, more than likely meant they were boinking the various men in the real world. God damn I'm slow.
Whilst I was watching it I assumed that the various 'layers' of the dreams, including the burlesque one, were all how Baby Doll saw it in her mind, to glamorise and cope with the shittiness of the actual reality. Yet, other folk are saying the whole burlesque side of it was actually how Sweet Pea imagined it all. Although I'm not sure that adds up. 

THANK YOU!

I've been looking ages for someone who actually get this film beyond a very pretty action flick. It's actually a pretty DARK film about how our mind copes with incredibly harsh realities. It gets worse when you remember about the theatre and how that probably played out in reality. I think way too many people are watching an action flick and turning their brains off which it does work on but it's quite a bit more cleverer than that.

So far I've only found my friend and one review on the internet that actually gets the film. In some ways I think Snyder was too smart in that he's deliberately hidden rape/sex however your interpret it in very well made action scenes and you enjoy them. Later on your suppose to realise what's actually gone on and feel bad for actually enjoying it.

At least that's my thinking, it's been a very badly marketed film for what it really is.

(in reply to captainrentboy)
Post #: 89
RE: Sucker Punch - 4/4/2011 2:29:22 PM   
superdan

**Spoilers**

What was with the bus driver being the same guy in her dreams? Was she psychic or some shit? Or was it to do with the whole 'angel' thing mentioned in the beginning?

(in reply to Ralancian)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Sucker Punch Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI