Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Sucker Punch Review

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Sucker Punch Review Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sucker Punch Review - 27/3/2011 9:21:37 PM   
Notmyrealusername

i hated scott pilgrim. I found it tedious and repetitive.

(in reply to bobatim)
Post #: 31
RE: Sucker Punch Review - 27/3/2011 9:42:31 PM   
swordsandsandals

I'm talking about Scott Pilgrim in a thread about Sucker Punch. What does this mean?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to Notmyrealusername)
Post #: 32
RE: Sucker Punch Review - 27/3/2011 9:47:35 PM   
bobatim

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

I'm talking about Scott Pilgrim in a thread about Sucker Punch. What does this mean?

That we've broken the forum?

Is he died?

www.penultimateuniverse.blogspot.com

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 33
RE: Sucker Punch Review - 28/3/2011 1:10:11 AM   
sanchia

No too good an opening US weekend at $19m

quote:

Striking approximately 3,900 screens at 3,033 locations, Sucker Punch mustered an estimated $19 million, which included an estimated $4 million at 229 IMAX venues (representing a record share for regular IMAX at 21 percent). That was a tad behind Kick-Ass's opening last Spring but much greater than the debuts of Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and Jennifer's Body. However, it was no match for the Kill Bill and Resident Evil movies among other comparable titles, and, for all its hype, it was barely average for an action heroine movie. It was also director Zack Snyder's worst live-action start yet, following 300, Watchmen and Dawn of the Dead.

Beaten to number 2 by the sequel to Diary of a Wimpy Kid.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to bobatim)
Post #: 34
RE: Sucker Punch Review - 28/3/2011 1:16:17 AM   
Deviation

Dear God....

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 35
- 28/3/2011 1:43:32 AM   
Madzy

:D I look forward to it. the combination of ass kicking, sexyness and fab cloths! its almost too much!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 36
No emotional core, eh? Doesn't bode well for Superman - 28/3/2011 9:54:17 AM   
launcelot

I've found all his films to lack an emotional core, frankly. 300 and watchmen were visual style over substance, with the only dramatic power comng from the source material. Ok, but ultimately s bit hollow. Which is why I fear for superman. and why i'm mystified Chris Nolan gave him the green light. Perhaps be didn't have a say?

Post #: 37
RE: Sucker Punch - 28/3/2011 10:29:49 AM   
captainrentboy

Although a 20% rating on RT did have me kind of worried for ole Supes, some people on other forums reminded me of an important point. This film is largely being slammed for its dire story, most seem to agree that visually it's a corker. Snyder is wholly to blame for the story in this one as he wrote the thing, whereas Superman had far more talented writers getting the script up and running.
Hopefully that means he'll be back in his comfort zone, (Well the zone that results in his films hitting a higher rating than 20%) basically adapting someone else's tale whilst making it look bloody lovely.

Even with all the shitty reviews, I'm still going to catch this at IMAX on Sunday. I have a feeling Sucker Punch is this year's Speed Racer.

Post #: 38
RE: Sucker Punch - 28/3/2011 10:48:22 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Can't wait to see this. Will wait for the Blu ray. All the negative reviews ha\s convinced me i'm going to love this movie!

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to captainrentboy)
Post #: 39
RE: Sucker Punch - 28/3/2011 11:16:26 AM   
Groovy Mule

The trailer makes it look like a teenage boy's wet dream with its leery aesthetic.

Kill Bill for the Nuts and Zoo generation?

Check out my movie blog - Box Office Challenge and reviews

http://londonmovieguy.wordpress.com/

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 40
RE: Sucker Punch - 28/3/2011 11:36:14 AM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Groovy Mule

The trailer makes it look like a teenage boy's wet dream with its leery aesthetic.

Kill Bill for the Nuts and Zoo generation?

It should have that on the poster / DVD / blu-ray, brilliant quote.

(in reply to Groovy Mule)
Post #: 41
RE: Sucker Punch - 28/3/2011 5:53:42 PM   
spamandham

It is obviously laughable to whine about an action film not having a 'strong emotional core', even more so to use this as the main thrust of your critique.
jolin definitely had a sly tug during this screening too.

Post #: 42
RE: Sucker Punch - 28/3/2011 5:57:27 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: spamandham

It is obviously laughable to whine about an action film not having a 'strong emotional core', even more so to use this as the main thrust of your critique.

Why?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to spamandham)
Post #: 43
RE: Sucker Punch Review - 28/3/2011 6:46:07 PM   
UTB

I'm an occasional gamer and thought Scott Pilgrim was just ok. What does this mean?

(in reply to bobatim)
Post #: 44
RE: Sucker Punch Review - 28/3/2011 7:00:52 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

I'm an occasional gamer and thought Scott Pilgrim was just ok. What does this mean?

You're a Satanist.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 45
RE: Sucker Punch Review - 28/3/2011 7:08:12 PM   
UTB

Up yours, Jesus!

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 46
RE: Sucker Punch - 29/3/2011 12:56:52 PM   
Aticus

quote:

ORIGINAL: spamandham

I would say that any film requires emotion but less so in the action genre. Zack Snyder, it seems, is more of your absolute point of view of just excluding it.

(in reply to spamandham)
Post #: 47
RE: Sucker Punch - 29/3/2011 2:07:09 PM   
adambatman82

I was at a press screening this morning, and am surprised to announce that I actually really liked it. I'm not a gamer, not a big fan of the director, and wouldn't actually say I was a fan of action films, but this really impressed me. I was even really attached to the "emotional core" of the film too, by the end of the picture. It's Snyder's best after Dawn, and leagues ahead of 300 and Watchmen.

(in reply to Aticus)
Post #: 48
- 31/3/2011 8:13:26 AM   
stavb105

I was given the luxury of a private screening in preparation for an Emily Browning interview and, even though i was the only person in the cinema, i had a ball!Its a completely barney film, which makes no sense at all but geez, its fun!Visually stunning (what do you expect from Snyder?) and some of the best action scenes since The Matrix, who cares if its not deep?Its about 5 hot girls getting their war on!!!Ketch-up!!!

Post #: 49
This is Transformers 2 Bad! - 31/3/2011 11:15:05 AM   
bloxham49

I really wanted to like this film. I have enjoyed most of Snyder's films. I can often enjoy films where you can switch off your brain and simply enjoy. Unfortunately, you cant even do this. That said the visuals are up there with Snyder's best, the problem is there just so... constant! It also doesn't help that the first two fight scenes are by far the best and then its simply all downhill from there. As for the story? Well, lets stick with other peoples stories from now on shall we Mr Snyder?

Post #: 50
- 31/3/2011 12:43:21 PM   
thedazzla

I liked Sucker Punch for what it was and pretty much agree with the review but kept thinking about Fox Force Five, referenced in Pulp Fiction :-)

Post #: 51
RE: - 31/3/2011 11:03:27 PM   
nhassell

I saw it this evening. Really enjoyed it. The ending was a bit silly, as was the plot, but it is good entertainment. See it!

This Is The End - ***
Man Of Steel - ***
The Great Gatsby - ***
Iron Man 3 - ***
Evil Dead - ***

(in reply to thedazzla)
Post #: 52
RE: RE: - 1/4/2011 11:30:39 AM   
blackduck

Saw it last night, basically it's lots of really exciting things happening to people you don't really care about.
Visually it's amazing , the WW1 steampunk bit is a real standout.
But after a while it gets a bit hard to care, hardly the worst film ever, good popcorn muncher.

It's like playing with a hyperactive kid, fun for about an hour but it grates after that...and I didn't get the ending, maybe I was just too drained

I am but an egg.

(in reply to nhassell)
Post #: 53
RE: RE: - 1/4/2011 12:26:25 PM   
superdan

Well, the soundtrack is pretty good, and visually it looks really good. The fight scenes are ok, even though they can be summarised as slo-mo, shoot, slash, slo-mo, shoot, slash, slo-mo, shoot, slash. The problem is Sucker Punch is the movie equivalent of a Big Mac, or Mountain Dew: there is no nutrition or goodness in it at all. Sure, when you're taking it in it feels good - for a while - but by the time it's finished you just feel a bit sick and wish you'd had something else.

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 54
RE: RE: - 1/4/2011 1:58:11 PM   
fugaziuk

after hearing her on the radio 1 afternoon show - i have a new love for vanessa hudgens - prob check this out this weekend

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 55
RE: RE: - 1/4/2011 7:50:21 PM   
hampstead bandit

I cannot understand the negative press this film is getting, or the 3 star (i.e. average) review in Empire?

just saw this today (first day of release) and thought it was absolutely brilliant in every aspect

an extremely original film with vivid visuals (what else would you expect from the director behind 300 and Watchmen?)

a great cast of lovely ladies and supporting actors and an engaging storyline with a solid emotional core

this film was much more than I thought it was going to be, based on the poor initial reviews I had read in the mainstream press

the various layers of reality that Babydoll experiences starting with the asylum, the brothel and then each task's "battle world" were not difficult to understand (which was a criticism in some reviews I read) and reminded me of the sublime film"eXisteNz"

the battle worlds were incredibly realised alternative realities, my favourite being the WWI mission, although each battle world was a stunning watch!

definitely a film I will be purchasing on Blu-Ray once released

gets 4.5/ 5 from me, I absolutely love action / sci-films and this delivered in spades!

(in reply to fugaziuk)
Post #: 56
RE: RE: - 1/4/2011 8:31:58 PM   
princessa

Agree with the empire review.  Visually stunning film with no substance.  I didn't mind the characters but the storyline was confusing and the action scenes couldn't make up for the thin plot.

This film is definitely style over substance.

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 57
Sucker Punch - 1/4/2011 8:49:28 PM   
Tech_Noir

Not up there with Watchmen and 300 but I thoroughly enjoyed it. The action scenes felt repetitive at one point but then the story went off in an interesting direction and I left the cinema satisfied.

However I'm pretty sure the film was cut down to suit a PG-13 rating as some scenes did feel trimmed.

I have a strong feeling that Snyder is gonna get a Bay-style lynching from critics from now on.

(in reply to princessa)
Post #: 58
Sucker Punch - 1/4/2011 8:50:41 PM   
Tech_Noir

Not up there with Watchmen and 300 but I thoroughly enjoyed it. The action scenes felt repetitive at one point but then the story went off in an interesting direction and I left the cinema satisfied.

However I'm pretty sure the film was cut down to suit a PG-13 rating as some scenes did feel trimmed.

I have a strong feeling that Snyder is gonna get a Bay-style lynching from critics from now on.

(in reply to princessa)
Post #: 59
RE: Sucker Punch - 1/4/2011 9:05:40 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

It seemed as though it had been compromised in order to meet ratings I thought. It left it kind of sterile in a way. Maybe if he releases a proper directors cut on Blu-Ray I'll enjoy it, but as it was I found it distinctly lacking.

quote:

I have a strong feeling that Snyder is gonna get a Bay-style lynching from critics from now on

The Guardian have already run a piece asking not just if this will cost him Superman, but also if it will stop him ever working again

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Sucker Punch Review Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI