Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wake Wood - 22/3/2011 12:59:05 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Delirious Direction? - 22/3/2011 12:59:05 PM   
Lingdada

Direction and suspense seems to be sorely lacking from this clip?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 23/3/2011 1:55:58 PM   
trouserpress

Sorry Kim, but shouldn't that be "riff" not "rife"?

Post #: 3
- 23/3/2011 1:56:00 PM   
trouserpress

Sorry Kim, but shouldn't that be "riff" not "rife"?

Post #: 4
Breath of fresh air - 3/4/2011 2:46:42 PM   
BatSpider

A real creeper, very gory, and there is stuff here that IS ORIGINAL. Very difficult premise to get right, and everyone involved did a brilliant job in making it convincing as possible. The Wicker Man is a template, and tho smaller in scale this almost lives up to that classic. This movie deserves to be seen by a large audience. Unless you're an animal lover - WTF was up with all the animal-bashing??

Post #: 5
Breath of fresh air - 3/4/2011 2:46:43 PM   
BatSpider

A real creeper, very gory, and there is stuff here that IS ORIGINAL. Very difficult premise to get right, and everyone involved did a brilliant job in making it convincing as possible. The Wicker Man is a template, and tho smaller in scale this almost lives up to that classic. This movie deserves to be seen by a large audience. Unless you're an animal lover - WTF was up with all the animal-bashing??

Post #: 6
RE: Breath of fresh air - 20/10/2011 7:20:49 PM   
Dave T

Saw this today and thought it was pretty good. Do you think its significant that the lead female bore a striking resemblance to Kate McCann aside from the cold, dead eyes?

http://davetedman.wordpress.com/

(in reply to BatSpider)
Post #: 7
RE: Breath of fresh air - 21/10/2011 11:45:25 AM   
Herr Schnitzel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave T

Saw this today and thought it was pretty good. Do you think its significant that the lead female bore a striking resemblance to Kate McCann aside from the cold, dead eyes?

No, I don't.

I usually like this sort of film, but I thought this was rather poor, with an unconvincing performance from the girl, which rather ruins the premise and potential to scare. Grumpy faced moppets don't scare me much. Compare that to the genuinely chilling performances by the young actresses in Orphan and Case 39. While the parents may have been deranged with grief, even then I thought they behaved like idiots and the way they went about it all made me feel they only deserved what they had coming. It's a shame to see the always excellent Aidan Gillen wasted in a poor film.

The setting setting was reminiscent of The Wicker Man, but much of the plot so much a rip off of Stephen King's Pet Semetary, he would have a good case if he sued.

(in reply to Dave T)
Post #: 8
Folksy And Unnerving - 7/2/2012 10:58:00 PM   
blaud

Feeling very much like a certain Stephen King story (but then again, what horror these days doesn't?), Wake Wood is a folk horror with tongue placed firmly in cheek throughout the duration. Much like Drag Me To Hell, it's exciting, enjoyable stuff, and most definitely grips from the morbid, upsetting off, all the way up until the bittersweet finale. The cast does an excellent job, and Timothy Spall's performances is superb as he takes on the role of a mysterious occultist chief. It's not perfect however, there are a few occasions when the story feels rather rushed rather than built up, and if there was a bit of extra time added to the introductory prologue, we may care about the characters a little more throughout the film. For the most part, however, Wake Wood is great; dark, unsettling, and rather a lot of fun.

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Wake Wood Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI