Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Limitless

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Limitless Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Limitless - 21/3/2011 9:58:57 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Why do I know nothing about thi? - 21/3/2011 9:58:57 AM   
BethN21286

Only saw the trailer for this yesterday, talk about under the radar

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Why do I know nothing about thi? - 21/3/2011 1:54:16 PM   
nhassell

Saw this on Tuesday. Was not bad. Cooper was fantastic, but there was a lot of under written stuff, and the plot was sometimes convulted. Not bad, though.

This Is The End - ***
Man Of Steel - ***
The Great Gatsby - ***
Iron Man 3 - ***
Evil Dead - ***

(in reply to BethN21286)
Post #: 3
RE: Why do I know nothing about thi? - 21/3/2011 4:32:40 PM   
Woger

4 stars might be a bit too much but it's well worth checking out.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to nhassell)
Post #: 4
RE: Limitless - 21/3/2011 4:57:36 PM   
Discodez

"Like Fincher's "The Game" - on Crack!"

Now there's a poster quote if ever there was one!!!

Post #: 5
RE: Limitless - 21/3/2011 10:44:30 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Cooper is brilliant. Hope to check this one out within the week.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 6
- 22/3/2011 10:37:44 AM   
evildave69

I'm glad this has been given four stars. I've not seen it however, it looks good on the trailer and it's one of those films I really want to be good.
However, for a 'film of the week' review, it was a bit brief. A bit more detail would've been nice.

Post #: 7
- 22/3/2011 5:03:53 PM   
shitneck

I was going to comment on the movie, and was going to try and make it shorter than the review.... so here goes.... average.
phew, only just made it!

Post #: 8
Slick, Stylish Thriller - 23/3/2011 5:50:24 PM   
ohdaesu

I enjoyed this film and wasn't bored at any point. I like Bradley Cooper and he does well here as a leading man. I think 4 stars may be pushing it a bit. There were times where the plot felt rushed, certain aspects weren't given enough attention and the ending had no impact at all. But a it's definitely a solid 3 star film that would make a good saturday night cinema trip.

Post #: 9
2 stars at best - 25/3/2011 12:25:36 AM   
lexter

Do not trust any review where the reviewer uses the phrase "...like X on crack/acid/speed". The application of this hackneyed and useless metaphor was supposed to have died out around the mid-90's and is a dead giveaway that the reviewer is much less enthused about the movie than they are letting on. I doubt I'm wrong about that as this is not a great film by any measure. The last half hour especially is an insulting shambles. De Niro on form? By doing what, exactly?

Post #: 10
RE: 2 stars at best - 27/3/2011 4:02:35 PM   
thepluginbaby

Limitless is based on a great concept about unlocking that inner potential, but basically it is Trainspotting for the kind of people who attend stylish cocktail parties and discuss the world's problems. Incidentally, the same kind of people the movie thinks we normal people aspire to be. I say it is like Trainspotting, firstly because it is a parable about drug abuse and secondly because the hyper-kinetic visual style of the movie feels very similar to Danny Boyle. Bradley Cooper is likable in the role, as he was in the A-Team remake and the Hangover but I was left underwhelmed that the height of his character's potential was getting a hair cut and dressing up in a slick suit to become a demon in the stock markets and a high flier in the world of corporate business... The idea of the intelligence enhancing drug is cool in how it unlocks distant memories and gives you incredible Sherlock Holmes styled powers of deduction, but the majority of people who watch a lot of movies will be able to see the twists coming as if they are on the drug itself. As it happens you will constantly feel you are one step ahead when watching this movie.

Also Cooper produces this movie, and I always get pictures of Kevin Costner in Waterworld or the Postman when an actor stars and produces his own movie, and at the end of the movie when Cooper faces off against De Niro, I kind of think he overstepped the mark a little bit.

"I have come to the conclusion that my gut, has shit for brains."

"Must go faster..."

My personal blog, ToBePhair, full of frantic movie/music/video game scribblings: http://tobephair.blogspot.com/

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ToBePhair

(in reply to lexter)
Post #: 11
RE: 2 stars at best - 28/3/2011 11:33:38 AM   
Groovy Mule

I thought I'd enjoy this more.

The premise is a fantastic one.  What if you could take a tablet which makes you a better version of yourself but which comes with unknown consequences.  As high concepts go, this is one which will make you debate around the watercooler, very much like the premise of The Box.  Unfortunately, like The Box, the narrative can't keep up with the premise and ties itself ever further in knots with plot strands that don't quite work.  In one scene, Cooper skips time, seemingly unable to join the dots of what has happened and I felt very much the same in watching this film.  Had I missed something?  Or did the plot have holes strewn across it?

On the positive side, despite the plot flaws, Neil Burger does a good job with the direction, giving it a suitably trippy feel.  His device of colour desaturation and oversaturation (in particular, making the actors more tanned) to show whether a character is on NZT or not is a good one and occasionally Burger directs as if this is Enter The Void-lite.  Clearly, he has been learning visual tricks from Gaspar Noe. 

As Eddy Mora, I found Bradley Cooper a convincing leading man.  This is arguably the first role where Cooper has been the out-and-out lead having previously played in ensemble casts such as The Hangover and The A-Team and he has a charm and swagger about him which suggests that he can make the step-up.  His perfect version of Mora, all white teeth, blue eyes and effortless good looks plays like the hedge fund manager that has it all and Cooper seems to be enjoying himself.  Likewise, he can dress down sufficiently well to make his down and out persona believable.  However, the reliance of the film on Cooper is also its downfall.  There are interesting supporting characters in this film but they are little more ciphers for Cooper, even De Niro struggles to break-out of his shadow.  I wanted to know more about some of these characters and I can't help but feel that some of those stories ended up on the cutting room floor.

Perhaps, as one poster above said, as executive producer Cooper got a little ahead of himself and has overpromoted his own performance at the expense of the overall film.  Having said that the film is not a Waterworld or Battlefield Earth, films killed by the hubris of their leading men and it will pass the time.  However, one cannot help but think this could have been so much more.
6/10

Check out my movie blog - Box Office Challenge and reviews

http://londonmovieguy.wordpress.com/

(in reply to thepluginbaby)
Post #: 12
Clever But Had Too Many Plotholes. - 28/3/2011 2:12:23 PM   
joanna likes films

Limitless has a clever story, a good pefomance from Bradley Cooper and has tenison from the moment he takes the pill. But it has too many plotholes, at times the film is rushing through and the ending is left to your imagination. I wouldn't give it four stars though, a two and a half will do.

Post #: 13
Clever But Had Too Many Plotholes. - 28/3/2011 2:12:24 PM   
joanna likes films

Limitless has a clever story, a good pefomance from Bradley Cooper and has tenison from the moment he takes the pill. But it has too many plotholes, at times the film is rushing through and the ending is left to your imagination. I wouldn't give it four stars though, a two and a half will do.

Post #: 14
Good - 28/3/2011 3:32:37 PM   
andybud

Excellent idea, well carried off, One gaping plot hole but that can be forgiven. if you want a film that looks and sounds good with a good idea at its base, then see this. Cooper is a better leading star than most and i couldnt imagine anyone doing as well as him with the script. Tom Cruise, keanu reeves, denzel Washington? nope, its good the way it is as a fun to watch, non too moralistic tale.

Post #: 15
The best kind of movie - 28/3/2011 6:06:38 PM   
fightclubber954

I would say it's closer to fight club than the game. Hectic directing style works perfectly, although over used at times. All in all a thoroughly enjoyable, well made, well written movie.

Post #: 16
GOOD. - 29/3/2011 8:51:14 PM   
lewisb548

LIMITLESS, is good but thats it, it is enjoyable, well written and brilliantly acted but the downside of this film is that it isn't very exciting and is blunderingly predictable, it's filled with cliches but Bradley Cooper's performance manages too make this barable, went too see this at the cinema, i liked it, my friend who saw it with me hated it, harsh, but he liked Love Actually, which is undeniably a piece of shit, oh well.
Verdict:
Good watch, good performances but the lack off excitement or a good well explained ending were the death of this film, shame, limitless had potential to be brilliant but only suceeded as being a good watch. And Abbie Cornish was barely in any of this, she was in 30 to 40 minutes tops. What the fuck?

Post #: 17
RE: Limitless - 31/3/2011 12:54:21 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

Bradley Cooper’s not just a pretty face, or ‘The Face’. Turns out he’s got some serious acting skills under those scruffy good looks; could’ve quite easily gone another way considering the concept of the film, but Cooper’s Eddie is quite the captivating character. Toning down his usual charisma works out well considering he’s a writer suffering from a serious lack of creative juices, yet the story twists nicely and in good time when he takes the wonder drug. Burger’s notion of psychedelic camera-turns and focus will have your head in a whirl whilst you endeavour to keep the pace with Eddie’s growing IQ. There’s enough suspense and surprises to keep you entertained throughout - one to watch.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to lewisb548)
Post #: 18
RE: Limitless - 7/4/2011 7:02:35 PM   
Dr Lenera

What if we are only using a small percentage of our brain and we are not using it to its full potential? Those are the fascinating questions posed by Limitless, which is actually a little reminiscent of Phenomenon and even Charly.  Also fascinating is the idea of a drug which unlocks the parts of the brain which are not being used or used fully, and Limitless, for most of its running time, is an interesting variant on a rags to riches story.  The film moves at a very fast pace and is rarely dull, the moments when Eddie comes up on MDT are cleverly but subtly indicated by everything getting a little brighter, and there is a great sequence about half way through where he seems to speed through 36 hours and we witness a montage of random events and some terrific point of view shots of Eddie's mind speeding through the city.  However, the film falters as it tries to add a bit too much to the proceedings, such as a very suspenseful but out of place chase in Central Park, and winds up with typical action stuff and a pat happy ending.  I would have preferred things to have got more surreal and trippy, and maybe to have shown Eddie really 'losing' it to the drug, but that's just me.  With its pounding techno score from Paul Leonard and Nico Muhly, Limitless at times looks, feels and sounds like a Danny Boyle film, but seems to lack the outstanding performances his films usually have –leading man Bradley Cooper is just adequate and no more as Eddie, but look out for a very touching extended cameo by Anna Friel.  This is an enjoyable night out at the picture no doubt and will certainly hold your attention, but just plays it a bit too obvious and safe considering its premise.
7/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 19
Limited - 17/4/2011 1:08:03 PM  1 votes
BatSpider

What a stupid, repetitive, pointless pile of crap. Good concept but it ran out of ideas after the first idea. Worst of all, boring.

Post #: 20
Four Stars with Bradley Cooper - Three Without - 19/4/2011 12:30:42 PM   
Richard Hannay

Bradley Cooper holds this together; the plot holes as others have said are there but he is such an engaging central character that you go along for the ride. And - important these days - the story at least as grown up issues rather than just looking like a gaming preview. Other characters work too - the eastern european thug and Bradley's love interest have some depth of characterisation, within the room they have to develop. In short - worth seeing

Post #: 21
RE: Four Stars with Bradley Cooper - Three Without - 19/4/2011 5:12:39 PM   
da222

Although I enjoyed the film, from an entertainment point of view, I found the European (or Russian, one struggles to remember) thug a tad tedious and predictable.

I would have much rather enjoyed the further development of Cooper's love interest, or simply more of De Niro on screen.

If I'm not back in five minutes... wait longer!

(in reply to Richard Hannay)
Post #: 22
Limitless - 21/4/2011 8:57:07 AM   
trueborndjross

Went to see this last night and really enjoyed it. It's a pretty simple plot but it's well done and Cooper is excellent - funny to hear my wife say 'I don't think he's that hot' after the film but I reckon that's just because he doesn't get his top off for a change :-)

And glad to see it doesn't go for the moralistic ending about there not being a magic pill to sort out all your troubles. Where can I get some?

Post #: 23
Quite interesting actually - 23/4/2011 2:10:33 PM   
Jables55

i found Limitless to be an intresting, mind bending film but was ashamed at the lack of de niro-ness and all spot light to bradley cooper (not complaining, cooper showed he can do lead man). more drug trip than new inception though

Post #: 24
RE: Limitless - 28/4/2011 10:36:39 AM   
Johnny Major

Caution: This review contains spoilers

When my friends and I left the cinema after watching Wanted (2008), we spent the return journey home vocalising our frustration over the film’s more ludicrous plot points. The loom of fate, an ancient weaving apparatus that selected the next targets for a band of assassins, was just too much for even the most avid action-thriller fan to swallow. After watching Inception (2010), we left with our heads spinning, futilely trying to piece together the elaborate, knotted storyline with the gravity defying action sequences. When we left the cinema after watching Limitless, just a few days ago, we made our way back to the car park fiercely debating on whether or not we would take the pill that granted the main character all of his mind-boggling abilities: finally, an action-thriller that leaves you feeling stimulated instead of deflated.

The greatest hurdle facing action-thrillers today is creating the perfect balance between a gripping storyline and adrenaline pumped visuals. Modern action-thrillers tend to either focus heavily on producing breathtaking, high intensity sequences, paying little attention to story development, such as Wanted, or revolve around storylines more complex than the Enigma Code, Inception being the exemplary culprit. With the release of Neil Burger’s Limitless comes an action-thriller that leaps this hurdle, propelled by a well thought out equilibrium of captivating story and invigorating action scenes.

Limitless follows the journey of Eddie Morra (Bradley Cooper) from a failing writer and general washout to a suave, sophisticated businessman. Though his success is not due to his merit but to NZT, a newly developed and incredibly expensive pill that allows the consumer to harness one hundred percent of their brainpower. Morra finds himself on a nonstop joyride as he skyrockets to the top of the business world, blissfully unaware of the dangers lurking right around the corner. When Morra’s supply of NZT runs dry, he finds himself plunged into mental and physical turmoil. Desperate, he launches himself in to a search for more NZT, only to be plagued by a Russian loan shark and corporate hit men. A whirlwind of unfortunate run-ins and close escapes ensues, pushing Eddie literally to the edge as he stands on his apartment’s balcony ready to commit suicide rather than suffer an excruciating death at the hands of his pursuers. Through his own quick thinking, Eddie is able to wriggle out of his predicament and re-establish order in his life, though whether or not he is free from his dependency on NZT is left to audience’s imagination.

With an original and tidy narrative combined with a respectable measure of intense action, Limitless maintains an engaging plot and exciting pace throughout the majority of its one hundred an five minutes running time. The primary exception to this is a section, about half way through, where the story temporarily looses its thrust. Said section is comprised of a series of business meetings and dinners where Morra bedazzles and persuades potential, high-powered employers to take him on. Not only are these sequences unnecessarily long, they are inundated with so much technical, business jargon that anyone who doesn’t have an honours degree is business, or a financial vocabulary dictionary to hand, will find themselves at a complete loss. That said, once past this confusing and somewhat tedious section the film recovers its energising pace, maintaining it right to the end.

Visually, Limitless is no more or less than what one would expect of a modern, Hollywood thriller set in New York City. The directing is clean-cut, making for clear and precise action sequences that don’t leave the viewer frantically trying to decipher who each streak of colour whipping across the screen is. The performances are credible, with Cooper’s portrayal of Morra generating a sufficient amount of sympathy from the audience as to care whether or not he makes it out alive.

Although Limitless doesn’t hit the bull’s eye on the action-thriller dartboard, it is certainly a step in the right direction towards more plausible and gripping films of its genre. It is all too easy for an action-thriller to stray a little too far and fall into the category of either just pure action or plain thriller, losing that enthralling edge that makes action-thrillers such a pleasure to watch. Limitless treads very carefully up that thin line where the two genres meet, providing all the high risk rush of an action film anchored in the entrancing suspense of a thriller.

Summary: If you like your films fast, tense and slightly mysterious then Limitless is definitely one to watch. All of its elements have been carefully considered to create a dynamic infusion of adrenaline and anticipation that truly deserves the title of action-thriller.

Overall Rating: 8/10

(in reply to Jables55)
Post #: 25
RE: Limitless - 28/4/2011 6:51:17 PM   
theoriginalcynic

I'm not gonna go into detail (cause I cba) but I thought this film was brilliant.  Four stars.  As a writer who often struggles to complete an initial idea I would love the tablet shown in this film! The simple ideas are often the best.

(in reply to Johnny Major)
Post #: 26
RE: Limitless - 2/5/2011 3:03:16 PM   
lecturarapida

I actually LOVED this film. I suffer from mild ADD and find myself getting distracted in the middle of the work day. So, the movie actually made me realize a lot of things, such as the fact that if we are able to utilize our own potential just a bit better, many aspects of our lives can be improved.

Post #: 27
Limitless: Review - 8/8/2011 2:08:41 AM   
Edward9630

Limitless is an alright film. The story is a bit interesting and when he takes the pills and gets knowledge and do what smart people do they were cool scenes. The problems with the film is it could have gone into more detail about how the pills came from and alot of the scenes in the film didnt interest me at all. I would recommend this film to be a rental.

Post #: 28
Yawn!! - 14/8/2011 12:54:10 AM   
lastofdgang2die

Poor film, performances mediocre, both plot and dialogue leave nothing to the imagination. No surprises as you can see where the movie is goin from the outset. Way too much of a narrative (So much so that i was waiting nearly 5 minutes at one point to see the characters mouths moving so i could set the audio time delay on my Samsung!!!!) almost felt at times like i was watching scenes from GTA or another video game. Overall, mediocre at best, i can forgive De Niro but everyone else For Shame!!

Post #: 29
RE: Yawn!! - 23/9/2011 11:35:43 PM   
film man aidy

I've got to say, both my wife and I both thoroughly enjoyed this. Not normally crazy about Bradley Cooper, but felt his performance here easily carried the film. Some neat ideas and good imagery to complement the themes, but I felt the final scenes didn't quite come off right. A good, solid night's entertainment. ***1/2.

P.S. SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The film does gloss over several plot points, including the murder of the pretty blonde about half way through. Anyone know who is supposed to have killed her? Answers on a postcard please...

(in reply to lastofdgang2die)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Limitless Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI