Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Olympic Games 2012.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Olympic Games 2012. Page: <<   < prev  58 59 60 [61] 62   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 14/8/2012 3:09:49 PM   
elab49

No man is an island.

You know, sometimes the answer really is just 'beause they do'. It helps define something in opposition to something else. Surely someone with that grossly anti-another part of Scotland sig should understand that?

< Message edited by elab49 -- 14/8/2012 3:11:22 PM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 1801
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 14/8/2012 3:12:02 PM   
elab49

Actually, put it another way - why do you care why your football team wins? You aren't one of the players on the field. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1802
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 14/8/2012 3:13:29 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

quote:

The nation was needy. Gold, gold, gold.

Why is it needy for the a nation to want it's athletes to succeed?

Why does a nation want "its" athletes to succeed?

Er... because they are from your nation?

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 1803
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 14/8/2012 3:36:19 PM   
boaby

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Actually, put it another way - why do you care why your football team wins? You aren't one of the players on the field. 

I do care why AFC win. If they've cheated then boooooooo. I don't want them to win at all costs. If you meant why do I care if AFC win then I do because I'm emotionally attached. I have played on the field though, just once, and it didn't go well.

It's pretty much the same thing I suppose. It's no more pretty than what I described in my previous posts. I'm not above it. I don't feel it with GB though. So I feel for those burdened with others' hopes and expectations.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1804
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 14/8/2012 3:38:53 PM   
boaby

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Was that supposed to answer the question?

Why does a nation want "its" athletes to succeed? Because they are from your nation. Doesn't make sense.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 1805
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 14/8/2012 3:51:28 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Was that supposed to answer the question?

Why does a nation want "its" athletes to succeed? Because they are from your nation. Doesn't make sense.

To be honest...you're not making much sense.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 1806
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 14/8/2012 3:52:57 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I dunno - what are you trying to say, that a nation wouldn't want it's own athletes to succeed?

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 1807
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 14/8/2012 3:54:21 PM   
superdan

Is there not an argument to be made that having the hopes and expectations of others can actually benefit an athletes performances? Bring out the best in them, stiffen resolve and so on?

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 1808
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 14/8/2012 4:16:45 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Didn't Mo Farah say that the crowd's reaction was what gave him the strength to push himself that bit more to win the first gold for the 10,000m? And that reaction was immense. Oh, to have been there and heard that noise first hand.

Actors on stage react to the crowd's reaction.

It's a positive feedback loop, in the scientific sense of the term.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 1809
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 14/8/2012 4:19:05 PM   
elab49

I'm not trying to be funny here - but did Boaby just post something Squid's argued before?

quote:

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 1810
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 14/8/2012 4:24:52 PM   
homersimpson_esq

*checks for Harry Potter dream theories*

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1811
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 14/8/2012 4:27:55 PM   
elab49

It's this people not having an impact on anyone else type stuff - it feels like one of his. 

quote:

Post #: 1812
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 14/8/2012 4:42:00 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Didn't Mo Farah say that the crowd's reaction was what gave him the strength to push himself that bit more to win the first gold for the 10,000m? And that reaction was immense. Oh, to have been there and heard that noise first hand.

I would also imagine it didn't just spur him on, but all of the athletes. To be runngin round that track heraing that noise must have helped every one of them. I can't see how they would distinguish or think "fuck, the cheering's not for me, it's for him"
Anyway, like the TDKR review thread, this has now gone into territory I am failing to grasp......

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

Post #: 1813
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 14/8/2012 4:44:08 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

Anyway, unlike my experiences with Matty's mum, this has now gone into territory I am failing to grasp......

I think we all hear you on that score.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 1814
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 14/8/2012 4:46:23 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

quote:

I would also imagine it didn't just spur him on, but all of the athletes. To be runngin round that track heraing that noise must have helped every one of them. I can't see how they would distinguish or think "fuck, the cheering's not for me, it's for him"
Anyway, like the TDKR review thread, this has now gone into territory I am failing to grasp......

Yeah but the cheering didn't really help everyone - people like Adlington could not feed off it, it's almost as if the weight of expectation, well weighed her down.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 1815
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 14/8/2012 5:10:09 PM   
jonson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah but the cheering didn't really help everyone - people like Adlington could not feed off it, it's almost as if the weight of expectation, well weighed her down.

Yeah sure, I was more refrring to the athetics, or Mo Farah in any case.
Without wishing to critisise Adlington, but I do think the sign of a true champ is one who doesn't let the pressure get to them, Ennis being the prime example. The pressure on her was twice that of any other British athlete, yet she was calm and composed and rose way above the hype and hope that the nation placed on her. I said it at the time, but if she were my daughter I'd be shitting bricks and probably quite angry at the level of expectation, but she showed she had the mentality (and let's be fair, the mentality is probably more important than the ability) to pull it off.
Whether she is the best all round athlete in the womens game, or whether she is the most capable under the spotlight is something we will never know.

quote:

quote:

Anyway, unlike my experiences with Matty's mum, this has now gone into territory I am failing to grasp......

I think we all hear you on that score.

Sorry, I'm new to this banter but I hear she's well worth a portion, let me know on the next available slot.

Post #: 1816
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 14/8/2012 5:15:01 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Without wishing to critisise Adlington, but I do think the sign of a true champ is one who doesn't let the pressure get to them, Ennis being the prime example.

Yeah I have to agree - the girl that beat Adlington didn't even beat Adlington's best time. That said we can't really criticise a double gold medallist, so many champs get taken down in the Olympics. She's still a GB swimming legend.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 1817
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 14/8/2012 6:19:01 PM   
Rinc

quote:

Without wishing to critisise Adlington, but I do think the sign of a true champ is one who doesn't let the pressure get to them, Ennis being the prime example. The pressure on her was twice that of any other British athlete, yet she was calm and composed and rose way above the hype and hope that the nation placed on her. I said it at the time, but if she were my daughter I'd be shitting bricks and probably quite angry at the level of expectation, but she showed she had the mentality (and let's be fair, the mentality is probably more important than the ability) to pull it off.
Whether she is the best all round athlete in the womens game, or whether she is the most capable under the spotlight is something we will never know.

I was listening to 5live on Saturday and they were talking to a few journalists and experts about a whole lot of things. During the diving qualifying they were discussing how mentally tough you have to be to be the best. They were saying the main difference between the best in the world at diving and those who aren't quite at the top is their mental ability to produce excellent dive after excellent dive. There are plenty of technically brilliant divers who could pull off a dive as good as Qui Bo or Daley. But they wouldn't be able to do it consistently and if they had a howler they wouldn't recover from it like the top ones do.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 1818
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 14/8/2012 6:34:13 PM   
Prophet_of_Doom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

quote:

I was listening to 5live on Saturday and they were talking to a few journalists and experts about a whole lot of things. During the diving qualifying they were discussing how mentally tough you have to be to be the best. They were saying the main difference between the best in the world at diving and those who aren't quite at the top is their mental ability to produce excellent dive after excellent dive. There are plenty of technically brilliant divers who could pull off a dive as good as Qui Bo or Daley. But they wouldn't be able to do it consistently and if they had a howler they wouldn't recover from it like the top ones do.

I think Daley is a prime example of that. When he asked to repeat that dive after the flash photography - having previously complained that the extra support he received could, at times, be off-putting - I knew for 100% certain that he'd bottle it and mess up that second dive. But he nailed it. And that's the mentality and make-up of a champion.

Although he only got a bronze. So he's not a champion according to homersimpson_esq

It's why Murray's success over Federer was also such a surprise. The one thing that people have consistently said of Murray is that he doesn't have that winning mentality - something often levelled at British athletes. Henman was alwasy accused of lacking that killer instinct (whatever that even means in a sports context). But, he proved on this biggest of all occasions that he does possess it.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 1819
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 15/8/2012 5:48:12 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prophet_of_Doom

It's why Murray's success over Federer was also such a surprise. The one thing that people have consistently said of Murray is that he doesn't have that winning mentality - something often levelled at British athletes. Henman was alwasy accused of lacking that killer instinct (whatever that even means in a sports context). But, he proved on this biggest of all occasions that he does possess it.

Tennis is one of the more mental sports because of the technical side of the game and as has been written before physically speaking there's little difference between the top 1000 it's just all in the mind.

Murray's losses in slams are perfect examples - if you reach four slam finals you are not fluking it at this level, you are a fucking good player but something goes in the noggin at crucial times.

Henman's problem was also partially mental but apparently he is one of those players that could have improved his power by doing some hard work in the gym. It's possible that by doing just that he could have taken at least one Wimbledon title.

(in reply to Prophet_of_Doom)
Post #: 1820
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 16/8/2012 1:41:15 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Louis Smith, Fran Halsall, Liam Tancock, Euan Burton, Perri Shakes-Drayton and Nicola Sanders are coming in to the Sports studio today and Louis will be giving a demo on the pommel horse and we get to see him (and the others)   I have a feeling work have under estimated the popularity of these people and won't be able to cater for the amount that turn up (will need to get there early!)

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

Post #: 1821
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 16/8/2012 7:23:09 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Wow - what do you do Hobbitonlass?

On another note anonymous Team GB member spills the beans on rumpy-pumpy at the Olympics

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2188790/Womanising-sprinters-strip-clubs-kinky-foursomes-athletes-begging-sex--Team-GB-member-reveals-incredible-sexploits-went-Olympic-Village.html

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 1822
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 16/8/2012 8:12:49 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I work for Sky They are all part of the Sky Sports Scholarship scheme so came in to talk about how it has helped them and to also talk about their Olympic experience. It was incredible being that close to them and felt very lucky to have seen them.

Perri Shakes-Drayton (400m hurdler) and Nicola Sanders (Sprinter)

Liam Tancock (Swimmer), Euan Burton (Judo) and Fran Halsall (Swimmer)

Louis Smith with his medals

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

Post #: 1823
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 16/8/2012 8:42:33 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

Anyone going to the Paralympics? I missed out on Olympic tickets back when they first went in sale with none of my requests being succesful. So thought I'd go for Paralympics instead. After days of trying in the god awful official site, I finally bagged some tickets today to the Olympic Stadium and a few other events, rather looking forward to it as the anticipation for the event is high and it's gradually selling out, so I can imagine the atmosphere being fantastic.

But I really have to stress just how crap the website is, searches for say a three date period get no results, drop it to two of those three days and loads of events appear.

< Message edited by Sexual Harassment Panda -- 16/8/2012 10:57:44 PM >

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

Post #: 1824
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 16/8/2012 8:43:27 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Awesome stuff Hobbs. Inspired?

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 1825
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 16/8/2012 10:45:00 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

But I really have to stress just how crap the website is, searches for say a three date period get no results, drop it to two if those three says and loads of events appear.

Couldn't agree more, it really is crap! I tried for 5 days before managing to get tickets to the stadium and am considering whether I want to go through that pain again for Paralympic tickets! Would like to go though.

Prof, definitely. They really are inspiring kids

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 1826
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 3/9/2012 7:51:14 AM   
jonson

Well Oscar Pistorius showed himself up to be a self-indulged spoilt brat last night. He may well have a point, but his reaction after the race to the TV cameras was pretty shocking IMO. Personally he should not have been allowed in the Olympics so he should be the last one bleating on about unfair advantages.
Sorry, but no thread here for the Paralympics. I've not seen as much as I wanted, other than the highly aggressive basketball (it's brilliant ) the swimming and a bit of shooting. My daughetr is going with the school on Wednesday, I'm not sure what she'll get to see but I'm excited for her.

Post #: 1827
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 3/9/2012 8:16:18 PM   
lbiu

quote:

Well Oscar Pistorius showed himself up to be a self-indulged spoilt brat last night. He may well have a point, but his reaction after the race to the TV cameras was pretty shocking IMO. Personally he should not have been allowed in the Olympics so he should be the last one bleating on about unfair advantages.
Sorry, but no thread here for the Paralympics. I've not seen as much as I wanted, other than the highly aggressive basketball (it's brilliant ) the swimming and a bit of shooting. My daughetr is going with the school on Wednesday, I'm not sure what she'll get to see but I'm excited for her.

I disagree. He was heated up and obviously not in a good state after losing but he has since apologised and the guy has done more for the paralympics than anyone. I respect him a lot.

My Homer is not a communist. He may be a liar, a pig, an idiot, a communist, but he is not a porn star.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 1828
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 5/9/2012 2:20:40 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: lbiu

quote:

I disagree. He was heated up and obviously not in a good state after losing but he has since apologised and the guy has done more for the paralympics than anyone. I respect him a lot.

I've got massive respect for him, and I'm sure anyone that doesn't win isn't in a good state after only coming second, but he still behaved like a spoilt brat, and to be fair, his apology was expected of him.

(in reply to lbiu)
Post #: 1829
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 5/9/2012 8:05:07 PM   
Harry Lime

I'm with Jonson on this one. Pistorious acted like a petulant twat. Disappointment is one thing, denigrating a fellow athlete's greatest achievement by insinuating foul play is entirely another.

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

If I get there early will it be the right time
our heaven is just waiting so put your hand into mine.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 1830
Page:   <<   < prev  58 59 60 [61] 62   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Olympic Games 2012. Page: <<   < prev  58 59 60 [61] 62   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI