Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Olympic Games 2012.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Olympic Games 2012. Page: <<   < prev  57 58 [59] 60 61   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 13/8/2012 9:51:45 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

I think that was probably my favourite moment as well, but soooo many to choose from, not just all the GB performances (I think I shed a swimmming poool of tears every time I saw Nicola Adams smile) but every competitor from every country, every winner, every record broken was just pure magic.

I forgot to put her on my list. Fantastic performances from her and the enthusiasm she had brought a smile to my face.

"I just wanted to make my Mum proud of me"

Oh no, I've started again

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 1741
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 13/8/2012 10:06:49 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prophet_of_Doom

quote:

ORIGINAL: kata

Me. Withdrawals.

Just need to find a sport that requires minimum skill or levels of fitness!

I think you might have to go for shooting. Target range shooting may still mean that you need to slow your heartbeat and control your body. So its possible that clay pigeon shooting is the way to go.

Horsey stuff means the horse can do most of the work and you might be able to compete till you are around 60, but just beware of falling off. You'd imagine that dressage is the least physically taxing discipline if you are some kind of horse whisperer, but I suspect you need a few quid to get a horse and you might not just be able to send the bill straight to the lottery.

There will be two new sports in 2016, but I'd say they 'll be hard to get into. Rugby 7s and Golf.

I'd suspect that if you were ready to put in the work and effort then a team sport that we really aren't so good at like volleyball or water polo might be the way to go

(in reply to Prophet_of_Doom)
Post #: 1742
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 13/8/2012 10:11:52 AM   
Prophet_of_Doom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kata

Me. Withdrawals.

Just need to find a sport that requires minimum skill or levels of fitness!

I think you might have to go for shooting. Target range shooting may still mean that you need to slow your heartbeat and control your body. So its possible that clay pigeon shooting is the way to go.

Horsey stuff means the horse can do most of the work and you might be able to compete till you are around 60, but just beware of falling off. You'd imagine that dressage is the least physically taxing discipline if you are some kind of horse whisperer, but I suspect you need a few quid to get a horse and you might not just be able to send the bill straight to the lottery.

There will be two new sports in 2016, but I'd say they 'll be hard to get into. Rugby 7s and Golf.

I'd suspect that if you were ready to put in the work and effort then a team sport that we really aren't so good at like volleyball or water polo might be the way to go

I have to admit, clay pigeon shooting does look the least taxing! Although I do think the team sports look more appealing. All those hours of singular, lonely training sounds like hard work.

I think an Empire forum volleyball team sounds like a genius idea (and as the Brasil team were based at my sports centre during the Olympics, I got to watch the beach volleyball team train and know some of their tricks and secrets!) Let's do it!

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 1743
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 13/8/2012 10:43:51 AM   
Rinc

The British handball team didn't look much cop. Reckon with a bit of training I could get in it.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

Post #: 1744
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 13/8/2012 10:52:40 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

My top 10.

1. Colin Jackson's behind the scenes excitement
2. Alan Campbell's bronze win
3. 800m men's final
4. Mo Farah's double
5. Forging of the Olympic Rings
6. Equestrian (seriously, the most tense moments of the games for me)
7. Hamadou Djibo Issaka in the rowing
8. Hoy's 6th Gold.
9. Garry Herbert's commentary
10. Don't make me angry

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 1745
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 13/8/2012 10:55:20 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

My top 10.

5. Forging of the Olympic Rings

Good call. If the Closing Ceremony achieved one thing (and that's some if), it made Boyle's Opening Ceremony even more audacious and brilliant.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 1746
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 13/8/2012 11:07:05 AM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

The British handball team didn't look much cop. Reckon with a bit of training I could get in it.

We're just discussing at work how we can get ourselves to Rio and which sport to enter in

Also discussing which sports to ditch (swimming has had a complete overhaul) and one modification is to get a disco floor (where you have squares that light up when you step on them) for the horse dancing.  Get them side by side and do a dance off

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 1747
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 13/8/2012 11:15:12 AM   
Harry Tuttle

My top 10 moments of the Olympics

1. Farrah’s Double
2. Usain’s triple
3. Phelps
4. Opening Ceremony
5. Wiggins destroys the field in the time trial
6. Hoy gets Gold
7. 800m final
8. Grainger and Watkins nab Gold
9. Nicola Adams wins Gold
10. Johnson and Thorpe providing wonderful punditry

I could just as easily have done a top 50 there are that many great moments to choose from.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 13/8/2012 11:19:12 AM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 1748
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 13/8/2012 11:21:35 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

quote:

We're just discussing at work how we can get ourselves to Rio and which sport to enter in

Also discussing which sports to ditch (swimming has had a complete overhaul) and one modification is to get a disco floor (where you have squares that light up when you step on them) for the horse dancing.  Get them side by side and do a dance off

I'm not so sure being a member of the handball team is a good way to get to Rio As host nation, team GB didn't have to qualify this time round, but will in 2016.

It will be interesting to see how much funding goes to swimming. If memory serves they underdelivered (in the terms they look at of how many medals they will get) in 2008 as well.

We've enjoyed a strong showing from female athletes in many recent Olympics and I think the inspiring performances of many females in team GB will give even stronger growth for 2016 and 2020.

Post #: 1749
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 13/8/2012 12:27:13 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

It's all over

Amazing job all round, organisers, volunteers, athletes - I felt pride welling up in me!!!!

Post #: 1750
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 13/8/2012 12:38:44 PM   
boaby

Thon beast of a Belarussian that won the women's Shot Put has been busted for drugs.

First biggie from the athletics to get done. That event was quite early in the Athletics schedule. Only just announced. Wonder if there'll be more.

My moments:

1. Jessica Ennis. So much pressure put on her by a classless media and needy nation. So pleased for her that she won. Plus, I think I love her.
2. David Rudisha. Absolutely mental. The single most outstanding athletic achievemnet of the games. Astounding in the way Bolt's 100m in Beijing was.
3. Bolt's 100m.
4. Mo Farah's 10k. Steve Cram elevates these races.
5. Felix Sanchez. Go on son. 34, loves his Gran, crying like a trooper.
6. Gemma Gibbons - "I love you Mum". After weeping in the foetal position.after an extra-time win. I shed a tear.
7. Andy Murray destroying Federer.
8. Chad Le Clos's Dad.
9. Pistorius on track.
10. Jade Jones celebrating as time expired in her Taekwondo final. Head gear flung skywards, Haka-esque leaping. Brilliant expression of joy.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

Post #: 1751
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 13/8/2012 12:41:17 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Really sad to see the Olympic's come to an end

I've been thoroughly entertained for the past two weeks, and on certain moment's - at the edge of my seat! I have to say that before the games began, I couldn't have given a damn about the Olympic's, even though it was taking place a walking distance from where I live. But i'm really glad it did take place, and kudos to everyone involved for putting on a stellar show.

I'm proud to be a Londoner, and moreso proud to be British at this moment in time!

EDIT: I gotta agree with Boaby about Ennis because I too think i'm in love with her!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 13/8/2012 12:44:09 PM >

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 1752
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 13/8/2012 12:47:32 PM   
pauljthomas

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby

Thon beast of a Belarussian that won the women's Shot Put has been busted for drugs.

First biggie from the athletics to get done. That event was quite early in the Athletics schedule. Only just announced. Wonder if there'll be more.

My moments:

1. Jessica Ennis. So much pressure put on her by a classless media and needy nation. So pleased for her that she won. Plus, I think I love her.
2. David Rudisha. Absolutely mental. The single most outstanding athletic achievemnet of the games. Astounding in the way Bolt's 100m in Beijing was.
3. Bolt's 100m.
4. Mo Farah's 10k. Steve Cram elevates these races.
5. Felix Sanchez. Go on son. 34, loves his Gran, crying like a trooper.
6. Gemma Gibbons - "I love you Mum". After weeping in the foetal position.after an extra-time win. I shed a tear.
7. Andy Murray destroying Federer.
8. Chad Le Clos's Dad.
9. Pistorius on track.
10. Jade Jones celebrating as time expired in her Taekwondo final. Head gear flung skywards, Haka-esque leaping. Brilliant expression of joy.

this

You know how I know your gay? You like Coldplay

BUS WANKERS!!!!

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 1753
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 13/8/2012 12:48:40 PM   
Prophet_of_Doom

quote:

I would have thought of more concern was that said Belarussian clearly wasn't a woman.

And Ennis is mine. I'm currently scouring the streets of London trying to find one of those big poster of her to steal. Although you'd have to be some guy not to feel only half a man in her presence.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 1754
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 13/8/2012 1:01:02 PM   
Lucky Day

quote:

quote:

I would have thought of more concern was that said Belarussian clearly wasn't a woman.
And Ennis is mine. I'm currently scouring the streets of London trying to find one of those big poster of her to steal. Although you'd have to be some guy not to feel only half a man in her presence.

I was in London, I'd had a couple of drinks, one thing led to another. End result? I can verify this

Post #: 1755
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 13/8/2012 1:03:04 PM   
Prophet_of_Doom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lucky Day

quote:

quote:

I was in London, I'd had a couple of drinks, one thing led to another. End result? I can verify this

That's a LOT of drinks! http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/aug/13/belarusian-shot-putter-nadzeya-ostapchuk-gold?newsfeed=true

(in reply to Lucky Day)
Post #: 1756
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 13/8/2012 1:08:25 PM   
Scott_

There are not enough drinks...

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

Post #: 1757
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 13/8/2012 1:16:06 PM   
Lucky Day

Even if there was enough drinks, I couldn't drink them all.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 1758
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 13/8/2012 1:23:55 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

My moments:

Jessica Ennis. So much pressure put on her by a classless media and needy nation.

I don't think it was classless or needy to make her the face of the games, it often happens like in Sydney with the runner, Micheal Johnson in Atlanta or that Chinese hurdler in Beijing - people always fixate on an individual.

I do however think her performance topped all others (including Farah's) due to the incredible way she responded to this pressure by hitting PB's and laying waste to the field. In interviews she's so sweet and level headed as well - what a girl

< Message edited by Fluke Skywalker -- 13/8/2012 1:24:08 PM >

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 1759
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 13/8/2012 1:36:09 PM   
boaby

People always fixate on an individual... chosen by the media usually.

The media are classless. Latch onto anything or anyone to sell. Nothing laudable or benign about their focussing on a pretty girl.

The nation was needy. Gold, gold, gold. It was far from a stick on that GB would win a track gold. The aim was for 1. A solitary one. Ennis took the brunt of that need.

In Sydney there was a aymbolism that added even more pressure. Cathy "The Runner" Freeman was a running, talking, breathing political plaything. At least Ennis was spared that.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 1760
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 13/8/2012 1:53:47 PM   
thatlittlemonkey

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's a LOT of drinks! http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/aug/13/belarusian-shot-putter-nadzeya-ostapchuk-gold?newsfeed=true

Reminds me of a fat version of Chris out of Life on Mars...

I'm going to need a SWAT Team ready to mobilise, street-level maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammy Dodgers and a fez.

Post #: 1761
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 13/8/2012 2:03:36 PM   
Lazarus munkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: thatlittlemonkey

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Reminds me of a fat version of Chris out of Life on Mars...

Thank you!!!!!!
It's been fucking killing me!

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to thatlittlemonkey)
Post #: 1762
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 13/8/2012 3:03:09 PM   
fuzzy

Does everyone know the Paralympics start in 16 days? The way the BBC are speaking everything's over, the park's being dismantled and that's it. I know Ch4 have rights to the coverage - but come on BBC, you could at least acknowledge that the Paralympics actually follow on from this.

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 1763
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 13/8/2012 3:24:54 PM   
Prophet_of_Doom

quote:

ORIGINAL: fuzzy

Does everyone know the Paralympics start in 16 days? The way the BBC are speaking everything's over, the park's being dismantled and that's it. I know Ch4 have rights to the coverage - but come on BBC, you could at least acknowledge that the Paralympics actually follow on from this.

Tickets for all events are apparently as hard to come by as for the main event - due to the public being swept up by the euphoria of the past couple of weeks and snapping up tickets in unprecedented numbers. Which is great for the profile of the paralympics, but not so great if you were expecting to be able to enjoy some of the venues/atmosphere (I know a LOT of people who were expecting to be able to easily pick up tickets, just so they could at least go to the Olympic Park, Aquatics Centre etc)

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 1764
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 13/8/2012 3:25:39 PM   
thatlittlemonkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: fuzzy

To be fair, one of the last things Linekar said last night was about the Paralympics - can't speak for the rest of it though. Really looking forward to it, think C4's ad campaign has been great for it. Fingers crossed GB tip a total of 100 medals this summer.

I'm going to need a SWAT Team ready to mobilise, street-level maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammy Dodgers and a fez.

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 1765
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 13/8/2012 5:27:07 PM   
benmharper

quote:

Was just about to add this. Every time I think of it I almost break down myself

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 1766
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 13/8/2012 6:29:36 PM   
Rinc

Here's another photo with a bit of added tilt shift

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 1767
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 13/8/2012 7:50:18 PM   
James2183

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

quote:

Handball looks a blast. I'm looking into clubs nearby to see if I can join.

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

Post #: 1768
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 13/8/2012 7:55:38 PM   
Hood_Man

I've been a little bit inspired by the olympics this year, I might take up clay pigeon shooting

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 1769
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 13/8/2012 10:04:37 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

Here's another photo with a bit of added tilt shift

The problem with these photos is that they all look a bit crap! What's so good about them

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 1770
Page:   <<   < prev  57 58 [59] 60 61   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Olympic Games 2012. Page: <<   < prev  57 58 [59] 60 61   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI