Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Olympic Games 2012.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> Olympic Games 2012. Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Olympic Games 2012. - 16/3/2011 12:49:46 PM   
Cruisecontroller

Have you applied for tickets yet? I have for the opening and closeing ceromonies but whether I`ll get them is another matter! I was going to apply for the events that interested me to increase my chances but didn`t want to have to pay up for all of them if I did get lucky! Shame would love to be there when the Mens Swimming takes place! Made me laugh that the clock in Trafalger Square stopped! My Visa debit card worked becaue it doesn`t expire until next year. Apparently you can get prepaid Visa debit cards especially to get tickets if you don`t have one for debit or credit which is cool.

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5
Post #: 1
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 16/3/2011 2:32:35 PM   
Hood_Man

I'm applying for the Gold Medal matches for the mens singles tennis event, which I think will allow me to see the doubles finals that day as well.

£225 a ticket though   Although, I am applying for the posh seats.

I think there are a few free events dotted around the country as well, I might check out some of those too if I'm unsuccessful.

Like you, I don't want to apply for too many either in case I end up paying a fortune

I am adamant that I'm going to go to the Olympics though, there's no way I'm missing out on an event like this.

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 2
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 16/3/2011 2:37:48 PM   
JIm R

An appalling waste of money for this country.

Millions spent on a two week sports day, a fucking travesty when you work out what problems the money could resolve in this country.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 3
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 16/3/2011 2:43:26 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

An appalling waste of money for this country.

Millions spent on a two week sports day, a fucking travesty when you work out what problems the money could resolve in this country.

Couldn't disagree more. It's about time we spent some money trying to make this country proud, showing the world we can put on a good Olympics, embracing the different countries and supporters and leaving a legacy which hopefully inspires the next generation of kids to put down their games consoles and participate in sport.

Would you rather we wasted publc money like we've been doing for the last 10 years?
For once I'm happy that my ludicrous taxes are spent on something other than layabouts, benefit fraudsters and the idle work-shy.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 4
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 16/3/2011 3:17:17 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Freakonomics, or I think its Superfreakonomics, has an interesting chapter on spend for these big events like the Olympics. I quite like their conclusions, which I understood to be:
- If you want to regenerate an area or create a new infrastructure, running a big event isn't the best way to do this. You wont get a return on that investment.
- But if what you want to do is to increase the enjoyment level of people (which jonson sums up nicely as national pride) its a great investment.

I'm going to spend some time sussing out what events I'd like to go to and register for the lottery.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 5
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 16/3/2011 7:06:58 PM   
DUMBO

well am excited it will be the greatest show on earth and a expensive one too 

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 6
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 26/4/2011 12:35:01 PM   
Professor Moriarty

So, ticketing closes tonight.

I didn't bother in the end as I don't have a VISA card.

(in reply to DUMBO)
Post #: 7
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 26/4/2011 5:13:16 PM   
gingerdaniel

We've applied for tickets for Diving Semi Finals, local bloke might be in it!

Cheaper tickets, but we'd like to pop up to experience the atmosphere and will always be able to say we attended the olympics!

Do you run? Check THIS out

Post #: 8
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 26/4/2011 7:18:38 PM   
James2183

Applied for three events in the end.

100m Qualifiers
Centre Court First Day
Football Final

However since I've learnt the bigger runners will be getting a bye into the later stages I feel a little cheated.

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to gingerdaniel)
Post #: 9
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 27/4/2011 2:53:44 PM   
Hood_Man

Just been reading some of the insanity on this page:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13206286

quote:

One person worried about this is Ruth, who has applied for £22,000 worth of tickets.

"What my husband decided was the chances of getting tickets would be low, so we applied to get our 20 lots, and he got his sister to do it and his dad to do it. So we've applied for all these tickets using up three people's quotas," she told BBC Radio 5 live.

"We're a family of four so we've applied for about 240 tickets. We're just really hoping that we won't get them all."

Fair play if you can afford it, but surely someone could have grabbed a calculator and worked out just how much they might end up paying, before applying

Makes my potential £450 splash seem like a trickle.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 10
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 27/4/2011 3:41:59 PM   
jediwarrior

Think my Girlfriend applied for tickets for the Football Quarter and semi finals.

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 11
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 27/4/2011 5:50:28 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Just been reading some of the insanity on this page:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13206286

quote:

One person worried about this is Ruth, who has applied for £22,000 worth of tickets.

"What my husband decided was the chances of getting tickets would be low, so we applied to get our 20 lots, and he got his sister to do it and his dad to do it. So we've applied for all these tickets using up three people's quotas," she told BBC Radio 5 live.

"We're a family of four so we've applied for about 240 tickets. We're just really hoping that we won't get them all."

Fair play if you can afford it, but surely someone could have grabbed a calculator and worked out just how much they might end up paying, before applying

Makes my potential £450 splash seem like a trickle.

I hope they get every ticket They'll see more of the Olympics than the been commentary team.

I got effed off about needing a VISA card, so gave up on it. But the missus stepped in and applied for the stuff I had saved. Total potential outlay about the same as Hood. I'm more interested in seeing something different so I went for canoeing, fencing, water polo and whiff whaff.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 12
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 28/4/2011 8:57:34 PM   
James2183

Went for Athletics qualifiers, Centre Court Day 1 Tennis and Football final.

I just want to see Roger Federer play

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

Post #: 13
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 28/4/2011 9:55:55 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

I was going to apply just because it's hard to pass up on the opportunity to go to the Olympics as it is a once in a life time thing, but I honestly don't have any interest in Athletics or the majority of the other Olympic Sports. The Winter Olympics are more my cup of tea.

But I've applied for a few tickets to the men's gymnastic's finals, the synchronised diving finals, and the opening and closing ceremonies on behalf if a family member or two.

However, what I don't get is the big hoo hah about Visa cards? It's of my understanding they're 10 a penny and widely available at pretty much every bank, infact I was given a Visa debit card for everyone of my different current accounts at different banks/building societies.

I know there are those with financial troubles who may not even have access to a debit card, but then they won't have any other card type either, nor if they're in such site straits should they be spending the quite frankly ludicrous amounts on Olympics Tickets either.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 14
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 27/5/2011 9:29:02 AM   
JV

Anyone had any joy? Checked my credit card this morning and there is a pending transaction for £26, which happens to the exact cost of the £20 hockey ticket + £6 postage I applied for.

I also applied for 2 tickets to a cycling event for the same day as the hockey for me + Mr JV but appears we haven't got those. We knew it was a long shot though as we stipulated £20 tickets only (no higher than that) to one of the most popular sports of the Games, so we figured we probably wouldn't get them. I applied for just the 1 ticket for the hockey because Mr JV isn't interested in it but I love it, so looks like I am off to the Games by myself.

We didn't have our hearts set on anything really, so it was always going to be great if we got what we applied for and great if we didn't (part of me is already worried about get to, from and around London on the day in question)... But we both figured that we'd probably regret not applying for it as it's the only time in our lifetime it's going to be in this country in all likelihood.

Of course there's always the possibility that it's not the Olympics who have charged my charge, but since I haven't used the card at all for a couple of months then it's either them or some bungling idiot of a thief who has only charged £26 to my card out of the possible £2000 credit limit....

< Message edited by JV -- 27/5/2011 9:31:56 AM >

but love is the sky and i am for you
just so long and long enough

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 15
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 1/6/2011 10:30:40 PM   
Hood_Man

I've been checking my bank account a few times now and I've had no luck .

I'll have to try my luck in the next round of first come first serve I bet, a bit disappointed. Still, at least I'm in the same boat as Boris Johnson who didn't get any either

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 16
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 3/6/2011 5:11:31 PM   
Skiba

There's been quite a lot of talk on the radio these past couple of days about this supposedly fair system in applying for tickets...what's fair about someone applying for £1,000 worth of tickets and getting nothing and someone applying for £80 worth of tickets and getting them?

A few people have said that they've gone on to websites in Germany and the States and actually picked the exact event they want and got them with absolutely no problem.  100m final...no problem!  So the rest of the world get to choose the events they want yet we, in the country where the games are going to be held, have to be entered into a lottery.  Fantastic system!

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 17
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 21/6/2011 5:52:11 PM   
superdan

Apparently the Welsh and Scottish FA's have been surprised to find out that their players are to be considered for the British Olympic football squads, and have stated they want nothing to do with it. Quite why, I don't know.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/jun/21/london-olympics-team-gb-football-agreement

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 18
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 21/6/2011 6:03:32 PM   
boaby

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

Apparently the Welsh and Scottish FA's have been surprised to find out that their players are to be considered for the British Olympic football squads, and have stated they want nothing to do with it. Quite why, I don't know.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/jun/21/london-olympics-team-gb-football-agreement

They want nothing to do with it primarily because they're worried about what those bampots at FIFA would make of it. FIFA have said that it'll not affect the independence and teams of the SFA and other mobs. But who's gonna believe what FIFA say?

Also, even if they were ok with it, the BOA saying unilaterally that it's all rosy if so arrogant as to give an indication of the attitude that p!sses people off.

Also, putting the English FA in charge of picking managers and squads while the other mobs are clueless is another indication of their complete d!ckheadery.

Screw the English FA, screw the BOA. Arrogant sods.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 19
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 21/6/2011 6:03:39 PM   
Rinc

If Scotland and Wales' best young players want to play for Great Britain then there's not much they can do. They can ban them from international football but would they really do that? Not only would there be an outcry but can you imagine them turning away players like Bale or Ramsey?

All seems a bit of pointless posturing to me.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 20
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 21/6/2011 6:12:53 PM   
Scott_

Ramsey and Wilshire in midfield. Tasty. Couldn't tell you anything about good young scottish players apart from Barry Bannan?

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 21
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 21/6/2011 6:19:02 PM   
superdan

I can't understand what they think the outcome will be. If the BOA turn around and say "Fair enough, have it your way" and pick a team of English and Northern Irish players, are they going to turn around and bitch that they're not allowed to join the party? Have to deal with unhappiness and resentment from their young players who maybe - just maybe - would relish the chance to add an Olympic medal to their collection?

If they're prepared to cut their noses off to spite their faces then fuck 'em.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 22
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 21/6/2011 6:24:57 PM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

Ramsey and Wilshire in midfield. Tasty. Couldn't tell you anything about good young scottish players apart from Barry Bannan?

Liverpool's Danny Wilson is supposed to be good. He seemed decent enough when he played this season, although with us needing a left back and a centre back he's been sent back out on loan.

He's a wonderkid in Football Manager though.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 23
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 25/10/2011 1:19:11 PM   
Professor Moriarty

So Stuart Pearce to be in charge of team GB/England/Beck's circus/whatever. Means the team'll probably be in the competition for about the same amount of time that it'll take Usain Bolt to run the 100m

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 24
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 25/10/2011 1:32:32 PM   
Scott_

And David Beckham will be playing. Fuck that. Why hold the youth back with dinosaurs like Beckham who will add nothing but a fancy hollywood pass and the odd free kick. Wouldn't even have him near the coaching team.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Post #: 25
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 25/10/2011 1:34:53 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

And David Beckham will be playing. Fuck that. Why hold the youth back with dinosaurs like Beckham who will add nothing but a fancy hollywood pass and the odd free kick. Wouldn't even have him near the coaching team.

I don't think he'll play. Michael Owen is a possibility though I reckon.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 26
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 25/10/2011 1:38:33 PM   
Scott_

Hope your right and wrong. Don't want Owen playing either, I'd rather they just keep it down to under 21's. I think it'd be a better team without players like Owen and Giggs especially if Bale and Ramsey get the go ahead to play.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 27
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 25/10/2011 1:47:42 PM   
superdan

I agree, though the fuss kicked up by the Welsh and Scottish FA's leaves me wondering if any Welsh or Scots will play.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 28
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 25/10/2011 1:55:12 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I don't see anything wrong with having a couple of more seasoned players (is it 3 you can have). But I really get annoyed when names like Beckham and Owen are passed around. This is a proper tournament we should take seriously as a chance to give some experience to younger players. Not a chance for us to all wave goodbye to such nation's favourites. What next Linford Christie in the relay?

Realistically it is a difficult job to see a winner coming from Europe (even though not every country has Stuart Pearce as manager) as the Euros are just a few weeks before and I can't see players playing both tournaments.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 29
RE: Olympic Games 2012. - 25/10/2011 1:57:50 PM   
Scott_

The only senior player I can think of wanting in the team is Ledley King but he won't be able to play everygame and like you say, the Euros will have a big impact on who plays which is why I'd limit the squad to the under 21s.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> Olympic Games 2012. Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI