Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Complete Superman Collection Blu-ray

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: The Complete Superman Collection Blu-ray Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Complete Superman Collection Blu-ray - 14/6/2011 1:54:43 PM   
Cruisecontroller

quote:

ORIGINAL: captainrentboy

Managed to get it for 23 from Sainsbury's website and it was delivered today. (Which was nice, as I'd heard nothing but bad things about them)
Rewatched Superman (Extended cut) this afternoon, and bloody hell it's still as wonderful as it was watching it back when I was like 8yrs old.
As I hadn't seen it all the way through for a good few years, I forgot just how utterly fantastic Reeve is in the dual role. It also reminded me what a pale imitation Routh did of him in Superman Returns (Enjoyed the film, but Routh could've tried something a little original)
Also that climax, even though the film's 33 years old now, it still hasn't been topped, drama and action wise, by any other comic adaptation movie. (I'll admit to never failing to become teary eyed, when Supes gets Lois out of the crushed car, again thanks to Reeve's awesome work)

Other than a now extremely dated and slightly ropey opener on Krypton, it really is the perfect Superhero movie for me, if not one of my favourite films ever.
Great picture on Blu Ray too, the best I've ever seen it looking by far.

23! Damm they`ve reduced it quickly it`s only just come out to buy! I actually really like the opening Krypton scenes in the first film with the three baddies being sent to the phantom zone and the distruction of Krypton. Always found it a bit hard to beleive any of that planet could have survived along with possibly any Kryptonians (the reason Superman disappers for five years for Superman Returns). Then again it is Superman it`s not supposed to be that realistic!

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to captainrentboy)
Post #: 31
RE: The Complete Superman Collection Blu-ray - 14/6/2011 1:58:06 PM   
Cruisecontroller

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: theoriginalcynic

The question is, why would anyone want Superman 3 and 4 in HD?

3 because its a pretty good film and its got Richard Pryor. He's always worth HD.

4 purely for laughs as surely the crap effects, cheap Milton Keynes sets and previously visible wires will be even more visible than before. That and Nuclear Man's mullet.

Agree 3 is funny and still a decent film. It`s not as epic or as gripping as the first two but its fun. 4 is so bad its good in a funny way. I haven`t seen the deleated scenes for 4 maybe they would have made the movie better if incorporated I will check them out soon. It really is amazing to me that the series could go from the best superhero movie ever made to one of the worst at the end of the Christopher Reeve run.

< Message edited by Cruisecontroller -- 14/6/2011 2:02:41 PM >

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 32
RE: The Complete Superman Collection Blu-ray - 14/6/2011 5:24:51 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cruisecontroller

quote:

quote:

3 because its a pretty good film and its got Richard Pryor. He's always worth HD.

4 purely for laughs as surely the crap effects, cheap Milton Keynes sets and previously visible wires will be even more visible than before. That and Nuclear Man's mullet.

Agree 3 is funny and still a decent film. It`s not as epic or as gripping as the first two but its fun. 4 is so bad its good in a funny way. I haven`t seen the deleated scenes for 4 maybe they would have made the movie better if incorporated I will check them out soon. It really is amazing to me that the series could go from the best superhero movie ever made to one of the worst at the end of the Christopher Reeve run.

Apparently the deleted scenes for 4 are truly atrocious. There's a sequence with the first Nuclear Man which is apparently cringe worthy. You can probably see it on yt.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 33
RE: The Complete Superman Collection Blu-ray - 16/6/2011 7:24:09 PM   
JIm R

Just got and going to pour through them, even though have the silver tin version, wanted the HD version of the original and Returns plus the deleted opening from Singer's.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 34
RE: The Complete Superman Collection Blu-ray - 16/6/2011 8:42:46 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

Just got and going to pour through them, even though have the silver tin version, wanted the HD version of the original and Returns plus the deleted opening from Singer's.

How much did you pay for yours. Iv'e been on amazon for the silver tin and its going 28 new and from 17 second hand.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 35
RE: The Complete Superman Collection Blu-ray - 21/6/2011 1:11:33 PM   
Cruisecontroller

I was wondering last night what had happened to the actress Sarah Douglas who was so memorable as Ursla in the first two Superman movies and after doing a search came across her website which is well worth a look. In the news section it has an interview from last year she gave to BBC Radio London which goes on for a good 45 minutes or so where she talks about the Superman movies and her career since. She`s been in Falcon Crest, the Conan the Barbarian movies and the second V series in the eighties plus played a post operative transexual in Doctors! Her showreel includes some of these moments including her apperence in Doctors. The website is http://www.sarah-douglas.com/ .

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 36
RE: The Complete Superman Collection Blu-ray - 21/6/2011 1:47:42 PM   
JIm R

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

How much did you pay for yours. Iv'e been on amazon for the silver tin and its going 28 new and from 17 second hand.

No idea mate sorry, my ex-girlfriend bought me my set some years back for Christmas when it came out, I think though the retail price was around 50 on release.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 37
RE: The Complete Superman Collection Blu-ray - 22/6/2011 2:20:17 PM   
spark1

that alternate opening to 'superman returns' any good?

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 38
RE: The Complete Superman Collection Blu-ray - 22/6/2011 4:03:56 PM   
Cruisecontroller

Seems ok I`ve only watched via Youtube so far but on my work pc with no sound! The link is on page 1 of this thread unless its been removed from youtube.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 39
RE: The Complete Superman Collection Blu-ray - 22/6/2011 6:50:49 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

i'm a sucker for Blu Ray boxsets but i can't decide if this one is worth the punt. How good are the extras? It's been years since i've seen any of the supes movies. I never really liked Returns but am slightly miffed it's the same 'poor' video transfer, as Returns is a movie that should at least look incredible.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

Post #: 40
RE: The Complete Superman Collection Blu-ray - 22/6/2011 7:16:15 PM   
Rgirvan44

There are a huge amount of extras, the most distrubing of which is a pilot for a Superpup live action TV show with little people dressed as dogs. 

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 41
RE: The Complete Superman Collection Blu-ray - 22/6/2011 7:21:08 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

that makes it sound worth purchasing for that alone

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 42
RE: The Complete Superman Collection Blu-ray - 22/6/2011 9:05:04 PM   
Spaldron

Does it have the SE of Superman III with the commentary's etc? I know the tin boxset had some issues with that disc and some copies only included the vanilla.

Post #: 43
RE: The Complete Superman Collection Blu-ray - 23/6/2011 4:41:25 PM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

that alternate opening to 'superman returns' any good?

It's awesome and for the life of me cannot believe they didn't include in original cut given one of the main plot points was that he had made the trip and spent five years away and found nothing of his home planet.

If they inserted it prior to our re-introduction to Lex as it stands in the original cut, would have countered nicely as to the arc, Superman has nothing / Lex has everything.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 44
RE: The Complete Superman Collection Blu-ray - 29/6/2011 12:38:01 PM   
spark1

dvdactive reviews the collection-

http://www.dvdactive.com/reviews/dvd/superman-motion-picture-anthology-the.html

Post #: 45
RE: The Complete Superman Collection Blu-ray - 30/6/2011 2:06:05 PM   
darth silas

quote:

quote:

Both Superman 3 and 4 are more entertaining than Superman Returns(not hard i know).

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 46
RE: The Complete Superman Collection Blu-ray - 20/11/2012 1:41:06 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Currently 12 instore at Sainsburys. Absolute bargain and one i could not resist so i picked it up this morning

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 47
RE: The Complete Superman Collection Blu-ray - 28/11/2012 9:25:50 AM   
paulyboy

Is it me, am I going blind or are the discs not labelled at all in the Boxset? Superman Returns is easy to spot because it has Routh on the front of the disc but some of the others, just random shots of Reeve and nothing else, I have no clue which is which!

The guy in blockbuster just stuck the discs in willy nilly when I bought it (so it wasn't pre-packaged in the right order), I spent 20 minutes inserting all the discs and checking which is which to order them the right way in the boxset.

What a ball ache!

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

Post #: 48
RE: The Complete Superman Collection Blu-ray - 28/11/2012 1:26:33 PM   
spark1

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulyboy

Is it me, am I going blind or are the discs not labelled at all in the Boxset? Superman Returns is easy to spot because it has Routh on the front of the disc but some of the others, just random shots of Reeve and nothing else, I have no clue which is which!

The guy in blockbuster just stuck the discs in willy nilly when I bought it (so it wasn't pre-packaged in the right order), I spent 20 minutes inserting all the discs and checking which is which to order them the right way in the boxset.

What a ball ache!

true.

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 49
RE: The Complete Superman Collection Blu-ray - 28/11/2012 1:44:26 PM   
TomTron

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

quote:

What a ball ache!

true.

They are labelled on the small print around the edge of the discs, but it's still a pain.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 50
RE: The Complete Superman Collection Blu-ray - 28/11/2012 1:44:40 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

What a ball ache!

Hey dude, the discs ARE labelled! The title of the movie is written on the outside edge of each disc in small white letters along with copyright info.

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 51
RE: The Complete Superman Collection Blu-ray - 28/11/2012 3:04:49 PM   
paulyboy

I checked the copyright spiel for the titles etc, couldn't find shit!

I'm double checking them when I get home now, losing my marbles!

Post #: 52
RE: The Complete Superman Collection Blu-ray - 28/11/2012 3:41:09 PM   
The Hooded Man

I only can recognise which disc is which by the images of Superman on all of them. The better shape Christopher Reeve was in the earlier the film it is. If that helps?

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 53
RE: The Complete Superman Collection Blu-ray - 28/11/2012 3:58:15 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

The writing is admittedly very small, but easily readable and definitely there! It was the first thing i noticed after the image on each disc. Another good way to know would to arrange them in a logical order. My set from Sainsburys had them all in the correct order anyway.

Sorry Tom Tron, didn't notice that you'd beat me to it earlier!

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 54
RE: The Complete Superman Collection Blu-ray - 28/11/2012 6:39:44 PM   
TomTron

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

The writing is admittedly very small, but easily readable and definitely there! It was the first thing i noticed after the image on each disc. Another good way to know would to arrange them in a logical order. My set from Sainsburys had them all in the correct order anyway.

Sorry Tom Tron, didn't notice that you'd beat me to it earlier!

Haha, no problem.

As for the set itself, I recently purchased it and it perfectly demonstrates what a fascinating franchise the Superman films are. He's the daddy of all Superheroes and has only had 3 films over nearly 40 years that are of any merit (Superman I + II, Returns - despite it's flaws it works as a nice footnote to Reeve's films). It is also a prime example of how badly a franchise can be handled by it's producers, all but driving into the ground and never has a film series had so many repeatedly failed attempts to get films into production.

Stumbled upon this great video essay on Returns:

DEEP FOCUS: SUPERMAN RETURNS, Angel of America

Still waiting for Tarantino's alleged 20 page review of returns.

< Message edited by TomTron -- 28/11/2012 6:42:01 PM >

Post #: 55
RE: The Complete Superman Collection Blu-ray - 28/11/2012 7:11:06 PM   
paulyboy

Just had another look, sure enough it's sandwiched in there between the DC Comics copyright and the Warner Bros one.

I'll look beyond the end of my nose next time!

Slightly annoying is the picture on the back of the boxset has all the discs properly labelled as per the norm, presume that's the US set in the still, oh well!

(in reply to TomTron)
Post #: 56
RE: The Complete Superman Collection Blu-ray - 4/12/2012 2:55:05 PM   
spark1

they should have done as the 'alien' BD set and had the original and SE on one disc for I and II and the extras on other discs.
and labeled them properly as well not as small print.

< Message edited by spark1 -- 4/12/2012 2:56:45 PM >

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 57
RE: The Complete Superman Collection Blu-ray - 5/12/2012 1:51:26 PM   
spark1

which versions of I and II are on the 5 disc BD?

if only the TM SE and the lester version then the 8 disc BD still the one to own.

the 2 hr doc narrated by kevin spacey is awesome.

Post #: 58
RE: The Complete Superman Collection Blu-ray - 5/12/2012 1:59:20 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I think the truncated boxset has only the theatricals. 12 from Sainsburys for the original boxset was a no brainer. HMV was selling the new boxset for 25 instore!!!! 13 more for much less content, way to go HMV

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 59
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion >> RE: The Complete Superman Collection Blu-ray Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI