Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 Page: <<   < prev  12 13 14 [15] 16   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 1/5/2011 9:43:38 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I like Richard Benjamin

He was very good in Westworld and he did direct The Money Pit.  Which is a masterpiece, of course (and I mean that sincerely).

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 421
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 1/5/2011 10:02:10 PM   
elab49

I may diverge with you just a little on the latter.

Direction, it would have to be My Favourite Year. I have a soft spot for City Heat though. WHich I'd completely forgotten was his.

For housebuilding horrors, for me, it has to be Mr Blandings.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 422
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 1/5/2011 10:58:36 PM   
great_badir

Nah - Are We Done Yet? is OBVIOUSLY the best one

"This is for ladies only!"
"So is this madam,but every now and then I have to run a little water through it."

I love My Favourite Year.  Benjamin never really capitalised on that ear;y directing promise, did he!

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 423
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 1/5/2011 11:05:57 PM   
elab49

It just seemed to go awry. His directing career does, however, have a connection to a film further up my list

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 424
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 3/5/2011 4:31:32 PM   
elab49

Sleeping Dogs (Donaldson, 1977)

Roger Donaldson's debut Sleeping Dogs is an oddity of a thriller that seems to combine a variety of ideas, e.g., the outsider attitude of 70s road movies, the 70s preoccupation with conspiracy thrillers as well as a bunch of presumably very local political concerns, situating the story within a New Zealand in the midst of an energy crisis with a leader with fascist overtones taking the country towards totalitarianism. All of these are partly signified by a cameo appearance from Warren Oates, star of many of those US movies in the role of an American military commander who justifies the calling in of US support to suppress resistance groups (which then just moves into the whole Vietnam era type mess of a war).

A very impressive and unsympathetic Sam Neill plays a lead who is randomly chosen by the special police and tagged as the poster boy for a revolutionary movement he wants nothing to do with (Smith becomes Emmanuel Goldstein – Orwell would be proud). Unfortunately the rebels are his only route to escape – and after hiding in the rundown hotel that hosts a slightly surreal visit from the US troops mentioned above, he's run from pillar to post by his wife's lover, a man radicalised in an incident that is apparently scarily prescient to many in NZ, with a similar incident actually occurring a couple of years later.

So although there are a couple of dodgy performances (Smithy's wife for one – awful), it's a brilliant tale of one man's apathy being unable to stand up to the system and a determination not to get involved to the very last – a man who just wants to be left alone to sulk on an island (with a really nice dog). It doesn't suggest that everything would be rosy if people actually stood up for themselves and used their voice, it doesn't even particularly care whether the country as a whole voted for a new fascist state or whether the referendum was followed by a coup, and it's all the better for the lack of neat solutions and just concentrating on the nightmare Smith's life becomes.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 3/5/2011 4:44:04 PM >

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 425
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 3/5/2011 4:42:01 PM   
impqueen

A superb film, Sam Neill is brilliant.

Yes, always.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 426
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 3/5/2011 9:34:51 PM   
great_badir

Heh - I was watching Donaldson's The Bank Job (which was nowhere near as bad as I thought it was gonna be, but why still the propensity for pretty much every Brit crime thriller to adopt the Guy Ritchie style?!?!?!) on channel 4 on Sunday and, feeling pretty sure this came out in '77, wondered if it might make it onto one of your lists.  Lo and behold.

Interesting career Donaldson's had - Cocktail AND Thirteen Days!  Bewildering.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 427
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 3/5/2011 9:53:54 PM   
elab49

I didn't rate The Bank Job. Very disappointed as I had hopes for the Clement and La Frenais script but the only lines I found amusing seem to have come from the actual radio transcript.

quote:

Post #: 428
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 3/5/2011 10:32:55 PM   
great_badir

I was expecting it to be dreadful, so I guess I didn't have too high expectations.  In its defence, it is primarily supposed to be a thriller.  In fact I thought the humorous moments harmed it.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 429
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 3/5/2011 10:33:57 PM   
elab49

It's just the fabulous idea that this was actually happening - that someone genuinely, eg, did the 'don't use names, Dave' gag

quote:

Post #: 430
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 4/5/2011 5:42:54 PM   
elab49

The Rescuers (Reitherman/Lounsberry,1977)

R e s c u e
Rescue Aid Society
Heads held high, touch the sky
You mean everything to me

Another that comes with no apology.

The mouse Rescue Aid Society send out a team (the exotic Miss Bianca and down-to-earth and superstitious janitor mouse Bernard) to answer the call for help from a little girl called Penny. Penny has been taken from an orphanage by the evil Madame Medusa to Devil's Bayou to search for a large diamond and is guarded by Brutus and Nero, two very large and very evil alligators. Aided by Orville the albatross air service and brave and determined boat driver (and dragonfly) Evinrude, the pair head off to Penny's rescue.

I don't know if they still do them but they used to produce story LPs of Disney films – basically the entire audio of the film on your record player (before most had video players). Among others I had The Rescuers (and probably still do at my parents somewhere) and I used to listen to it all the time and that love for what is admittedly a quite minor Disney has never faded. It helps that Brutus and Nero are genuinely chilling and some of the voice work – particularly Eva Gabor and the wonderful Bob Newhart as the mouse leads, is very good and Geraldine Page as Medusa is superb. It's nicely drawn, with the city all yellow/orange/red and sunsets and a very gothicy and creepy dark swamp full of creatures later nicked by the terrible Princess and the Frog.

It's a lovely entry to the Disney canon, still loved by children (and me) today.

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 431
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 4/5/2011 5:45:52 PM   
impqueen

Is that woman waterskiing on crocodiles?

Yes, always.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 432
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 4/5/2011 5:47:28 PM   
elab49

That is a the wonderful Madame Medusa, atop lovely Nero and Brutus.

quote:

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 433
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 4/5/2011 5:51:14 PM   
impqueen

Sorry I initially skimmed the review then got distracted by water sports, alligators. I've only seen Down Under which I know I wore out on VHS.

Yes, always.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 434
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 4/5/2011 5:53:41 PM   
elab49

I've never been as taken with that one. I think I maybe needed to be a certain age to encounter it. I also read the books

Which should have been trivia really - Margery Sharp also wrote Cluny Brown, later adapted by Ernst Lubitsch.

quote:

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 435
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 5/5/2011 4:53:59 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

The Rescuers is awesome. I can't remember a thing about the sequel except, maybe, an opening shot at ground level that zooms towards Ayer's Rock?

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 436
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 5/5/2011 10:40:50 AM   
elab49

That sounds vaguely familiar. I think I do actually have it on DVD - I should probably watch it!

Rescuers was followed by The Fox and the Hound which wasn't a great film but young Tod and Copper were almost unbearably cute and I had the foldout film magazine poster thing on my wall

quote:

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 437
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 5/5/2011 1:47:46 PM   
great_badir

The Rescuers - considering Reitherman was, arguably, Disney's best director in the "good ol' days", I always thought this was a bit of a B-Disney pic. But I will admit to not having seen it for over a decade. I used to own one of the quickly recalled re-release videos, complete with boobage. That's probably the last time I saw it. Video went down the tip in about 2006 with the rest of my enormous VHS collection (three weeks before Blockbuster announced their "cash or credit for your video collection" thing ).

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 438
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 6/5/2011 3:53:46 PM   
elab49

boobage?!

Up next - an actor who has already been mentioned in the list. But not for something he was in....

quote:

Post #: 439
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 6/5/2011 5:16:49 PM   
elab49

Smokey and the Bandit (Needham, 1977)

If you've never really understood why Burt Reynolds was such a major star I doubt you can do better than digging this out and having a look. Spawning a couple of sequels and part of a wave of trucking films, Smokey and the Bandit was one of the highest grossing films of 1977. Already big in noir thanks to the likes of Buzz Bezzerides there were a ton of trucking movies in the 70s – in 77 alone you had The Great Smokey Road Block and Breaker Breaker as well as Bandit and a year or so later Clint Eastwood got behind the wheel with Clyde, around the time Peckinpah went trucking in Convoy. Then it came to TV with BJ and the Bear. Now trucking films more often hark back to Duel in films like Joyride or the Korean film Truck, firmly in the horror genre with only the occasional drama like Trucker.

Father and son odd couple, Enos and Little Enos Burdette, wearers of the dumbest baby blue suits you've ever seen, hire trucking legend the Bandit to transport some Coors beer for them to a truck rodeo in Georgia. Although Coors is now widely available, in the late 70s it was only available in the western states of the US so taking it east of Texas was bootlegging – and that's where 'smokey' comes in. Using a fast car to block (ie drawing out the smokeys before they see the truck), Bandit and the Snowman make the mistake of picking up a stray runaway bride. Problem? The wedding she was running away from was to the inept son of vengeful lawman Texas Sheriff Buford T Justice.

Reynolds gives a confident star performance, charismatic and funny; his inadvertent encounter with Gleason in the choke and puke beats anything Mann could manage because it was perfectly in keeping with the characters. It was fortunate for the movie that Needham drew him in – apart from drawing on memories of his own sheriff father, Reynolds replaced his then co-star in the lead – country singer Jerry Reed is fine as Snowman but couldn't have handled the starring role. Reed also provides the successful title song, Eastbound and Down and is accompanied through the film by sedate beagle Fred, who loves swimming, and to whom Snowman insists on ascribing an entire world of anthropomorphism. Sure there is a bit of shoe-horned in romance, but you need Field's character to get Justice and Field is at her best as the sassy, intelligent Frog.

"What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law"

Low pumping brass – you know the sound – heralds Jackie Gleason's arrival on the scene. Although there are some broad similarities this isn't Bond's Sheriff Pepper – Gleason is determined, racist, a bit of a fruitcake with a temper to boot, but he isn't actually dumb (unlike his son). Just thwarted. He's a brilliant foil to Reynolds's Bandit, ad-libbing happily, gross of manner and a joy to watch.

The film is full of gleeful car chases galore with outcomes that have become all but clichιs now but still work perfectly here and the smart, funny script is full of CB jargon, some of which is possibly obscene and still goes over my head.

Films like this and Convoy fuelled a minor CB craze in the UK. Every kid wanted a CB radio. Where my gran lived in the high flats in Glasgow, at least one kid in each block seemed to have one and people either talked between blocks or eavesdropped. It was a lot better than realising your turntable/radio seemed to be picking up police radios when they were close by (which also happened!).

The route

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 440
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 7/5/2011 3:57:25 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
boobage?!

Have a look at the "controversy" section in its Wiki entry.  That video is probably worth a lot of money now!

"There's no way...no way that you came from my loins.  The first thing I'm gonna do when I get home is punch yo momma in da mouth."

I love Smokey and the Bandit.  I love Smokey and the Bandit 2.  I love Cannonball Run and Cannonball Run 2.  Cannonball Fever, with its cast of mostly "who are you?"s, sucks bar one scene.  I do, however, have a soft spot for Smokey 3.  I've always wanted to see the original version of 3, Smokey IS the Bandit, where Jackie Gleason plays both Buford and the Bandit.  The whole film is out there somewhere, but Gleason's family don't want it released.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 441
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 7/5/2011 4:07:20 PM   
elab49

I love that line!

I thought the 'is the bandit' thing was an urban legend, I hadn't realised it was true. But Wiki even links to a Gleason as Bandit picture. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu4Ht2opvqY&feature=related and this.

I do also love the first couple of Canonball Runs. Captain Chaos just makes me smile.

quote:

Post #: 442
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 7/5/2011 4:12:08 PM   
great_badir

Go back a few years and the original trailer for Smokey IS the Bandit was on YouTube, but it was taken down when they had their first major copyright overhaul.

Apparently some (non-trailer) footage has been leaked elsewhere on the net, but buggered if I can find it.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 443
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 13/5/2011 9:37:26 PM   
elab49

Ceddo (Sembene, 1977)

The Ceddo (the non-converted outsiders) kidnap Princess Dior Yacine to help stop their king forcing Islam upon them. The rescuer must take the samp –a kind of sign of parley – to the place she is held to fight for her return. This honour causes friction between the king's family and allies – the right to inherit and/or marry Dior seems less set in stone than each man had thought. The Ceddo, realising the kidnap won't have the effect intended, decide to take stronger action.

In the 2000 list I included Faat Kine – a film that examined women's role in modern Africa, and the clash of modern vs. traditional culture, two themes also key parts of Sembene's final film Moolaade. Ceddo is a little different. Set in an (undefined) historical setting the focus is on the history of the African continent itself – the conflicts between tradition and religion, slavery and colonialism and the concern over the forced imposition of Islam, all of which make it just as relevant today.

King Dimba War, his family and his closest allies have all converted to Islam providing the most immediate threat to traditional culture. They readily hand over dissenters to slavery, represented by a local white slaver who swaps people for guns (and with the additional nod to the French colonial impact in that part of Africa uses a Fleur de Lys to brand the captives). But even within this group there is conflict – the potential heir leaves Islam because it puts another in line before him; the corrupt advisors have clearly taken on Islam as a means of advancement; and the sheep like followers of the real outsider – the Imam – seek to push the conflict between his religious authority and the secular power of the King. In all of this the people suffer. Trying to rebel they end up with few options – banishment, conversion or death. The former may offer a hope of retaining traditional beliefs but away from the land on which they were bred.  

Sembene ensures that the message is not lost in the absorbing narrative. Although a naturalistic setting the initial part of the tale – as one man after another takes on the task of rescuing the princess – has an almost fairy tale aspect to it. Music is often used to hint at the wider picture - the slaves can't appear without hearing their future in jarring gospel music. And twice Sembene takes us out of the ongoing story – once as the local white catholic priest dreams of a day when the continent will become christian and to cement the role of the kidnapped princess because here, again, Sembene uses the female as the point of the resistance, emphasising the side of the traditional.

There's a quite breathtaking scale to this film. A historical setting with a powerful contemporary message, a warning from Africa's past as religious splits weaken the people in the face of the colonisers and bar them from their own past with a tale of corruption and a people complicit in their own subjugation, with the main point of virtue killed without honour. And it is that corruption that is the main target, with Islam, Christianity, the West and Africans themselves in the target sights.

Ceddo was banned in Senegal – a country that's about 90% Islam. They claimed it was because of a misspelling apparently.

quote:

Post #: 444
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 14/5/2011 10:33:57 PM   
fernetcontonica

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea
(Jindrich Polak)

A group of Nazis has used anti-ageing pills to survive into the 1990s. The Universum company has created the possibility of time travel, offering it to tourists and school parties. They're under strict conditions, they can't leave the time machine and they have to strictly observe and not get involved. The Nazis have another plan. Led by Klaus Abard, he plans to land in 40s Germany and give Hitler the gift of a hydrogen bomb to help him win the war. They bribe the pilot, Karel, to let them get off the craft, but the morning of the trip he dies. Karel has a twin brother, Jan, also a pilot, who decides to assume his identity because he fancies his girlfriend. When Jan discovers the plan he tries to put things right with frequent trips in time, never quite managing to right his brother's wrong.

It's a shame that this rather bonkers little film is so little known. Its low profile in the UK (although it's fondly remembered by those who caught a rare early 80s BBC2 screening) probably hasn't helped.  It's endlessly inventive, especially in little throwaway moments and it's the kind of clever and funny sci-fi mindbender that should go down a storm with Back to the Future fans. Throw in some excellent performances, especially from Petr Kostka as the twin brothers, and you have one of the great sci-fi comedies.

Oh god.. if someone would ever mention this film here, it would be you! Fun and stupid, The credits themselves have that strange thing of looping nazi footage back and forth which feels cheaply stupid but in some dimmension it just worked for me really well. The humor seems to have the same lighthearted spirit than those Italian sexual comedies but with Timetravelling and nazis instead of boobs and innuendoes.

I Just watched Spinollio and I have to say I liked it quite much. The take on the story is a bit cynic and it marks it very well from the moment the cricket is chewed off by the cat. The animation style really strenghtens the tone and it is filled with many small and cool details to catch.

I really want to see that PIF "The finishing Line". Apaches, which I saw listed somewhere here was really suspenseful and involving, not really short of crudeness at all and given its intention and nature stands as a somehow weird but fascinating piece of filming. The freesbe one is another one I saw and it is almost sick. As films oriented to warn about dangers I feel they are awesome and have that spirit of showing things crudily and straightforwardly that I blame on having a great role in the overall coolness of the seventies.

La Campane del Infierno 9/10
The Edukators 8/10
War World Z 6/10
Inbred 5?/10
The Brass Teapot 7/10
Dettachment 6?/10
The Dead Inside 7?/10
The Haunted Mansion 5/10
Anatomie 2 6/10
Anatomie 6?/10

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 445
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 14/5/2011 11:04:16 PM   
fernetcontonica

quote:

Death Bed: The Bed That Eats
(George Barry)

Death Bed is officially one of the weirdest films of the decade. Scratch that, it's one of the weirdest films in existence. It was based on a dream had by the director and it shows through in pretty much every scene. The film is narrated by the spirit of an artist who died 60 years ago. His soul has since been trapped in the walls of a mansion, behind a painting of a four-poster bed. In the same room of the mansion is the bed from the painting. The bed is alive, a by-product of the love of a demon for a mortal woman. She died on the bed during sex, and the demon wept tears of blood into the bed, giving it life and a hunger for flesh, before he run and hid in a tree.

The film is split into three courses, breakfast, lunch and dinner. In breakfast, a young couple break into the mansion. They bring with them a picnic of apples, wine and chicken. The food wakes the bed, arousing its hunger. It steals the picnic and digests it in a bizarre kind of stomach acid. Then it eats the couple. After the first meal, we're treated to a montage of spinning newspaper headlines, detailing the bed's atrocities down the years. We also find out that the artist was one of the bed's many victims, the bed trapped its soul behind the painting for company. Then lunch arrives, three young women exploring the mansion. One decides to take a nap, so of course the bed has a little snack, but not before demonstrating its telepathic abilities by giving her nightmares about eating bugs. But it's more reluctant to eat one of the remaining girls, Sharon, because she reminds it of its mother. Also heading to the mansion is Sharon's brother, someone who may provide the bed with its dinner.

The film is very obviously tongue-in-cheek, when the bed sleeps it actually snores, its stomach acid strips away the flesh from a man's hand and he's left with skeletal fingers for the rest of the film. It's also the kind of film that most people aren't going to be able to tune into. In a few decades time I think it'll be held in the same high regard as other slightly clumsy low-budget horrors, like Carnival of Souls, Death Bed just hasn't really had the time for a critical reappraisal as yet. It was as good as lost for a couple of decades and its only a pirated release that actually got it into the public consciousness. It's still an obscure and underseen film, one that deserves a chance and an open-minded audience.

Oh, this is an intresting choice, it really has a couple of merits. To start, injecting some kind of artistic worry and vivid fantasy into a film that portraits a flesheating bed is hard but it demonstrates that virtually any idea no matter how dumb, weird or crazy it be can be executed with style.The "cheap" seventish looks even works well with the fantasy line. It has a constructive principle that one might just deem incompatible with a bed that eats people but it achieves a good grade of success. The film is weird, it is, and it manages to keep suspense in some moments, manages to be fun in some moments and even makes you witness some visual that end up being astonishing. I really found very intresting the way the bed eats... it is not like it will just lift the matress up and swallow people but it is mostly like a giant stomach that absorbs people and their belongings... you actually get to see the digestion which is something I found quite awesome. Still, quite worth a look althought it is not quite a well-.rounded film.

The Edukators 8/10
War World Z 6/10
Inbred 5?/10
The Brass Teapot 7/10
Dettachment 6?/10
The Dead Inside 7?/10
The Haunted Mansion 5/10
Anatomie 2 6/10
Anatomie 6?/10

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 446
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 14/5/2011 11:32:45 PM   
fernetcontonica

quote:

House
(Nobuhiko Obayashi)

A teenage Japanese girl has difficulty relating to her new stepmother and decides to pay a visit to her estranged aunt in the countryside. A group of her school-friends join her on the trip, but they find the aunt's house isn't the country idyll they'd imagined. Once they get to the house, they find themselves battling some hungry ghosts. For such a simple sounding story, the director put together one of the most genuinely insane films I've ever seen. Using the film to stage a series of increasingly bizarre vignettes, we get a cannibalistic piano, floating heads, possessed furniture and demonic kitty cats. The film plays out like the brightly coloured nightmare of a pre-pubescent girl, unsurprisingly, Obayashi took ideas from his daughter's dreams. One of the wackiest and most visually entrancing films I've ever seen, with the special effects designed to look as unrealistic as possible because he wanted them to seem like the imaginings of a child. Quite simply, it's one of the most unique haunted house films of all time, and one of the most insane cinematic experiences you could ever hope to see.

Hausu is indeed a really intresting film. It is fun, stupid, hysterical and even bizarre but it really stands out for how it looks. There are plenty of animation techniques used from stop motion to effects involving paint contrast and animated collages always in a very colorful and hysterical fashion. Hausu is awesomely fun to look at if you like that kind of audiovisual psychodelia. Even the score, althought not nearly as varied as the visuals, is quite cool mainly using variations of a main theme but also a couple of really awesome acid-jazz-y songs apart of some of the common pop that pops up every now and then in some of the less intresting parts. The comedy is quite good and makes the whole crazyness fit more than well. Hausu is nice, crazy and fun, not really much of an horror film.

Oh well, i've spent quite long in this thread yet Very good work on making cool lists you two, but well, I really expected no less from you

< Message edited by fernetcontonica -- 14/5/2011 11:34:34 PM >

The Edukators 8/10
War World Z 6/10
Inbred 5?/10
The Brass Teapot 7/10
Dettachment 6?/10
The Dead Inside 7?/10
The Haunted Mansion 5/10
Anatomie 2 6/10
Anatomie 6?/10

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 447
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 15/5/2011 7:22:02 PM   
elab49

The Spy Who Loved Me (Gilbert, 1977)

Missing nuclear submarines create a temporary detente between the British and Russian secret services as they combine to foil the culprit's world-threatening plot.

Even for me Roger Moore isn't Bond – his outings were a mix of Simon Templar and Brett Sinclair – but this doesn't stop The Spy Who Loved Me remaining one of my favourite Bond films (and probably Chrissie Nolan's since this is where he appropriated the alpine bit of Inception). The introduction of Jaws, that car, the gleefully misanthropic Curt Jurgens and Gilbert's very playful approach (including that joke on Spielberg's version of Jaws – and, possibly apocryphally, it was suggested that Spielberg was an initial choice of director) combine delightfully. This is aided by Marvin Hamlisch's soundtrack which includes one of the best Bond songs, a nod to Lawrence of Arabia and the sly Carry-On-esque version of the title track to finish after the usual painful one-liner. Also, some fantastic camerawork, particularly among the ruins as Jaws takes the high road. The film was pretty much played out again in Brosnan's Tomorrow Never Dies (with the story of the megalomaniac's attempt to create an international stand-off and the liaison with the foreign agent).

Barbara Bach isn't the greatest Bond girl (or actress) but her character, until the damsel in distress section, matches Bond step for step which was always nice to see on screen (not a match for the later Michelle Yeoh, of course). Moore is coasting confidently, Richard Kiel is fun and Desmond Llewelyn, as usual, doesn't get enough screen time (but has set up a frighteningly efficient satellite lab in Egypt that uses the drink of the English gentleman as a lethal weapon and has created a camel saddle you really don't want to get on).

Along with From Russia With Love, The Spy Who Loved Me is still a permanent entry in my personal top 3 Bonds. I don't see this changing anytime soon.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 21/3/2012 11:19:33 PM >

quote:

(in reply to fernetcontonica)
Post #: 448
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 15/5/2011 9:23:22 PM   
TRM

Whats the other entry in your top 3 Bonds?

I was having a read back through this thread yesterday and watched Spinollio, (which is a wonderful take on the story ) and then got sidetracked into watching The Spirit of Dark Lonely Water and flicking through the website that was linked.

I hadnt expected to see The Rescuers anywhere near that high, but it was always one of my favourites growing up (probably due to the fact I had access to only about 5 Disney films on a regular basis).

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 449
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 15/5/2011 9:31:39 PM   
elab49

Ditto, although mine were on LP rather than vid (I also had a much played LP of Disney songs) 

I meant top 5 Bonds, although I'd put both at the top 3 so it doesn't really make any difference to the question! My Bond top 5 isn't really fixed except for Russia and Spy, the others can swap around. It's easier to note what it doesn't include - Octopussy, For Your Eyes Only, Die Another Day, Quantum of Solace which are, IMO, the worst 4. THe World is Not Enough isn't great either, for me, but I do like bits - lots of Judi and Coltrane, eg. Do you remember that knockout contest that was done ages ago for Bonds? I was trying to remember how I ranked them before.

Did you have a top 3/5?

quote:

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 450
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 14 [15] 16   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 Page: <<   < prev  12 13 14 [15] 16   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI