Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 18/4/2011 9:18:46 PM   
rawlinson

Rime of the Ancient Mariner
(Larry Jordan)

There's very little I feel I can actually say about this short film, the synopsis alone should tell you if you want to see it. It's an experimental animated piece, bringing to the screen the classic poem. It does so by animating the illustrations of Gustave Dore and having Orson Welles recite the poem over the animation. It's an odd mixture, but a brilliant one. During the early scenes, the mostly still images fit the poem perfectly, giving it a subdued feel, but also one of intense anticipation. By the time the mariner has killed the albatross and Death appears on the high seas, the mixture of Dore's illustrations and Welles' reading shift to a darker tone, making the short feel feverish and almost malevolent. The director himself compared the work to an opium dream and it does have an intoxicating and overwhelmingly nightmarish quality. But I think all that depends on you being a sympathetic viewer, one willing to give yourself over to the film and actually give it the attention it deserves. 

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 361
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 18/4/2011 9:20:20 PM   
rawlinson

Rituals
(Peter Carter)

A group of five doctors, all war vets, take a camping trip deep in Ontario, heading for a location so isolated that getting help in an emergency would prove near impossible. The group consists of Harry (Hal Holbrook), Mitzi (Lawrence Dane), Martin (Robin Gammell)  DJ (Gary Reineke) and Abel (Ken James). The men bicker and bullshit like any group of old friends and you could easily expect the film to turn into brotherly bonding in the woods, where they weep over their war stories. But as the men try to enjoy their trip, something is in the woods, watching them. The men's torment starts slow, their boots are stolen. From there a series of increasingly distressing events befall the party, and they realise that someone is setting them up. As the group begins to be picked off, tempers flare and soon the men find themselves contending with each other as well as with the maniac.  While there's some particularly nasty scenes, especially the death of one of the characters, Rituals gets its scares from the building of suspense rather than gory murder scenes, it also gives its killer a more compelling motivation than many slashers. The characters also have more depth than your average victim, including making one of the party gay, a real rarity in horror of the period. The film is anchored by Holbrook, always a good actor, he gives an amazing performance here as the group's unofficial leader, and the only one of the men competent enough to figure out the killer's game. Possibly the very best of the backwoods horror genre (and that includes Deliverance).

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 362
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 18/4/2011 9:27:21 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

A question to both of you guys - have either of you seen Plague Dogs?

Brilliant film and fairly high on my animation list - I think I only rewatched it a year or so ago. S'no When the Wind Blows, though.

I haven't seen Rime but I've found it on youtube. Rituals

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 363
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 18/4/2011 9:29:09 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I haven't seen Rime but I've found it on youtube.

I honestly don't know if you'll like it or not.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 364
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 18/4/2011 9:30:38 PM   
great_badir

Yes, Plague Dogs did all sorts of brain wrongings to me too.  Although by the time I saw Plague Dogs I'd already been subjected to Apaches, so it was a bit more of a walk in the park...

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Rime of the Ancient Mariner
(Larry Jordan)

There's very little I feel I can actually say about this short film, the synopsis alone should tell you if you want to see it. It's an experimental animated piece, bringing to the screen the classic poem. It does so by animating the illustrations of Gustave Dore and having Orson Welles recite the poem over the animation. It's an odd mixture, but a brilliant one. During the early scenes, the mostly still images fit the poem perfectly, giving it a subdued feel, but also one of intense anticipation. By the time the mariner has killed the albatross and Death appears on the high seas, the mixture of Dore's illustrations and Welles' reading shift to a darker tone, making the short feel feverish and almost malevolent. The director himself compared the work to an opium dream and it does have an intoxicating and overwhelmingly nightmarish quality. But I think all that depends on you being a sympathetic viewer, one willing to give yourself over to the film and actually give it the attention it deserves. 

Good call - the second time Welles' skills as a narrator have been perfectly matched with experimental animation (also cf. the opening of The Trial), although the occasional nod to Terry Gilliam (intended or otherwise) does tend to divert the mind.  Although, I suppose, it's actually Gilliam who had occasional (/frequent) nods to Jordan...

Most, if not all, of Jordan's films, are on YouTube and in surprisingly good quality too (I've only ever seen ropey high generation VHS copies of copies), but this is by far his best.  Our Lady of the Sphere is, in my opinion, unwatchable.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 365
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 18/4/2011 9:35:53 PM   
great_badir

quote:

Possibly the very best of the backwoods horror genre (and that includes Deliverance).

Interesting - I always thought of Rituals as Deliverance-light.  A good film, but not as good.  Mind you, it's been a while since I've seen it.  Agree on Holbrook though - he's one of the few actors who puts as much work into his obviously-for-the-money shows (Creepshow) as he does the really really good stuff (most recently I'm thinking of Into the Wild, but he was also absolutely amazing in Capricorn One).

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 366
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 18/4/2011 9:45:19 PM   
elab49

When the work on this list started, Capricorn One was showing as 1977 on IMDB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 367
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 18/4/2011 9:53:38 PM   
great_badir

quote:

When the work on this list started, Capricorn One was showing as 1977 on IMDB

But it was made in '77 wasn't it?

(Checks around)

Yep, but a (positive) delayed release in '78.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 368
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 18/4/2011 10:05:15 PM   
elab49

It's IMDB and release dates - apparently it was supposed to be shown in Feb 1978 and that was delayed, rather than delayed from 1977.

quote:

Post #: 369
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 18/4/2011 10:09:32 PM   
great_badir

Well that both sucks and blows.

About time Peter Hyams got some love round here.  I think Outland is brilliant.  Better than High Noon.

OH YES, I WENT THERE!

And I mean it, too.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 370
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 18/4/2011 10:17:14 PM   
elab49

I am not a fan of High Noon. I do however love Outland.

Did you see his kid's take on the Universal Soldier franchise? You can see where he took heed from his dad (who was actually behind the camera).

quote:

Post #: 371
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 18/4/2011 10:17:48 PM   
elab49

Also, Capricorn One would have been in my top 10 for 1977.

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 372
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 18/4/2011 10:25:45 PM   
great_badir

Not seen the rejigged Universal Soldier, but then I'm not all that on the original.

Besides, I still need to see Universal Soldier 4...

Strange career Hyams (senior) has had though - I genuinely think Outland, 2010, Running Scared and Capricorn One are verging on classics, The Narrow Margin is pretty good as remakes go and I even have plenty of time for Stay Tuned.  But there's just so much shit in his catalogue too and he seems unable to make a half decent film now.  Sound of Thunder had a great premise, but dear god...

< Message edited by great_badir -- 18/4/2011 10:26:10 PM >

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 373
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 18/4/2011 10:29:41 PM   
elab49

That was indeed an appalling film.

Ditto on Narrow Margin, and I say that as a massive fan of the original (it was one of the first 5 I posted in my noir list as near misses).

I don't watch the Universal Soldier films either but Regeneration was highly praised by RGirvan in his top 10 B Movies of last year, and it wasn't at all bad.

quote:

Post #: 374
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 19/4/2011 7:02:27 AM   
rawlinson

Imdb and their any old year will do dating policy is balls.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 375
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 19/4/2011 2:26:49 PM   
elab49

So, the next entry will be no. 19 thanks to another cock-up. Although this time I'm blaming IMDB. I'll add one in at no. 50 in a couple of entries time.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 376
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 19/4/2011 2:52:39 PM   
elab49

Play for Today Abigail's Party (Leigh, 1977)

The party from kitsch 70s hell started life on the stage (quite a few Play for Todays brought modern theatre to the TV set in the way early single play strands in the 50s and 60s brought the classics). It was filmed and broadcast only a few months after its stage debut and all but one of the original cast retained their roles.

Beverly holds a get together on the night of the never seen 15yo Abigail's (Susan's daughter) party (the activity at which is never fully explained something clearly happens between Tony and Laurence when they check it out and Susan doesn't seem entirely happy at the end). There follows one of the most unpleasant 90 odd minutes in TV history. Tony and Angela are new to the neighbourhood. An extremely odd couple. Taciturn, disappointed in life and with a chip on his shoulder, Tony is an ex-footballer now a jobbing computer worker who ended up with Angela after a hospital stay. He's open to Beverly's flirting and shows flares of a pretty nasty temper. Gauche, dim Angela (Janine Duvitski) rarely thinks before she speaks and only shows any kind of confidence when she helps someone who is unwell, although a nurse like that would encourage anyone out of their hospital bed too soon. She's completely oblivious to everything going on around her, prattling on idiotically. Laurence is fairly neurotic, obsessed with position and class, knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing. He's near the end of his tether with his wife rarely still and only calming down when talking to Susan. Susan is a class that Laurence looks up to. Obviously unhappy about being there but interminably polite, it doesn't seem as if she considers herself above them although her discomfort isn't entirely, I think, explained by her concern about the party. A factor here might be that Susan is played by Harriet Reynolds, the only one who didn't go through the long character development process that preceded the original play. Though of course, anyone who has to sit through the crassly intrusive questioning and condescension from the other two still-married women is bound to feel a fairly high level of discomfort. Just to make it clear the camera cuts to Susan at the line 'I want to Die' during Tom Jones song It's Not Unusual.

Beverly (the superb Alison Steadman) is a monster. She will not let anything go, obsessed with handing out drinks (even during a heart attack) and her bad taste in music. Her need for centrality and dominance also manifests in her interest in Tony. Laurence's role in Beverly's creation can't be understated. I doubt she was always as bad but his clear and regular dismissal of her (again, perhaps, her inability to have children is a factor) seems to make her ratchet it up even more, trying to place herself above others handing out advice on how to use lipstick to new arrival Angela, presenting herself as the bastion of good taste, and using her marital status to secure a position above the higher class Susan. Fear makes her even worse but doesn't diminish her unpleasantness or need for attention. But while her aspirations might be easy to laugh at and dismiss today, then there clearly was something to satirise.

I think this was the one that Dennis Potter changed his mind on. He originally accused it of pandering hatred of the people it portrayed and credited it with little beyond that but Leigh talked about a couple of critics who generally took that view of him but one changed his mind. I think he was wrong though. Although I doubt he was happy it came above all of his work in the BFI TV poll.

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 377
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 20/4/2011 1:12:40 AM   
rawlinson

Magnificent play, I've come to like Nuts in May more though I think. Regarding the mistake, imdb can't be trusted, the dating policy really is all over the place, one film I was going to include in this list (which was 100% a 77 release) they had down as 82. I say include it and bugger what they say.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 378
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 20/4/2011 1:16:15 AM   
elab49

I think it was an initial error on their part, so my mistake to go with their date. It'll save for if we ever get to 1978

I find it very difficult to get through Abigail's Party in one go. I couldn't see it at the theatre - I'd be twisted in my seat with my eyes covered exclaiming 'oh, god, no' for most of it. I prefer Nuts in May because I can actually watch it and Sloman's is a magnificent character in a completely different way. I'm not really sure how I'd rank them against each other though. Tough one.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 379
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 20/4/2011 1:35:24 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Abigail's Party was on TV near the end of last year. Still not seen it.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 380
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 20/4/2011 6:44:56 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

I think it was an initial error on their part, so my mistake to go with their date. It'll save for if we ever get to 1978

I find it very difficult to get through Abigail's Party in one go. I couldn't see it at the theatre - I'd be twisted in my seat with my eyes covered exclaiming 'oh, god, no' for most of it. I prefer Nuts in May because I can actually watch it and Sloman's is a magnificent character in a completely different way. I'm not really sure how I'd rank them against each other though. Tough one.

It actually doesn't have that extreme an effect on me. Maybe because I don't actually like any of the characters and so I'm not suffering with them.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 381
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 20/4/2011 6:46:09 AM   
rawlinson

Death Bed: The Bed That Eats
(George Barry)

Death Bed is officially one of the weirdest films of the decade. Scratch that, it's one of the weirdest films in existence. It was based on a dream had by the director and it shows through in pretty much every scene. The film is narrated by the spirit of an artist who died 60 years ago. His soul has since been trapped in the walls of a mansion, behind a painting of a four-poster bed. In the same room of the mansion is the bed from the painting. The bed is alive, a by-product of the love of a demon for a mortal woman. She died on the bed during sex, and the demon wept tears of blood into the bed, giving it life and a hunger for flesh, before he run and hid in a tree.

The film is split into three courses, breakfast, lunch and dinner. In breakfast, a young couple break into the mansion. They bring with them a picnic of apples, wine and chicken. The food wakes the bed, arousing its hunger. It steals the picnic and digests it in a bizarre kind of stomach acid. Then it eats the couple. After the first meal, we're treated to a montage of spinning newspaper headlines, detailing the bed's atrocities down the years. We also find out that the artist was one of the bed's many victims, the bed trapped its soul behind the painting for company. Then lunch arrives, three young women exploring the mansion. One decides to take a nap, so of course the bed has a little snack, but not before demonstrating its telepathic abilities by giving her nightmares about eating bugs. But it's more reluctant to eat one of the remaining girls, Sharon, because she reminds it of its mother. Also heading to the mansion is Sharon's brother, someone who may provide the bed with its dinner.

The film is very obviously tongue-in-cheek, when the bed sleeps it actually snores, its stomach acid strips away the flesh from a man's hand and he's left with skeletal fingers for the rest of the film. It's also the kind of film that most people aren't going to be able to tune into. In a few decades time I think it'll be held in the same high regard as other slightly clumsy low-budget horrors, like Carnival of Souls, Death Bed just hasn't really had the time for a critical reappraisal as yet. It was as good as lost for a couple of decades and its only a pirated release that actually got it into the public consciousness. It's still an obscure and underseen film, one that deserves a chance and an open-minded audience.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 382
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 20/4/2011 7:08:14 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

That sounds brilliant in so many ways.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 383
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 20/4/2011 7:10:27 AM   
rawlinson

Oh it is. It is. 

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 384
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 20/4/2011 8:21:07 AM   
impqueen

My awesome Comprehensive English teacher showed my year 10 class Abigail's Party and Nuts in May, for me personally they were revelations though at the time horrifically so. Quite possibly my "favourite" work from Leigh, just pipping Naked, I've certainly watched both Party and May more.

< Message edited by impqueen -- 20/4/2011 8:22:50 AM >

Yes, always.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 385
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 20/4/2011 9:18:06 AM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

It actually doesn't have that extreme an effect on me. Maybe because I don't actually like any of the characters and so I'm not suffering with them.

I don't really like any of them either - Susan is a bit too pained to entirely empathise with. But I do think it's so well done you almost feel you're there - can you imagine being in that room?

quote:

Original: Impqueen

My awesome Comprehensive English teacher showed my year 10 class Abigail's Party and Nuts in May, for me personally they were revelations though at the time horrifically so. Quite possibly my "favourite" work from Leigh, just pipping Naked, I've certainly watched both Party and May more.

I wish I'd had imaginative teachers like that. English at secondary school was pretty much a non-starter - the last one seemed to hate teaching and got snotty saying good marks weren't because you were any good but he was just bad at marking.

For me, I'd have Naked a bit further out in front.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 386
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 20/4/2011 9:20:04 AM   
elab49

quote:

Death Bed: The Bed That Eats
(George Barry)

When I was going through the 1977 lists I was looking at some titles and thinking - I wonder if that'll be on Rawlinson's list. It sounds like one of his.

Guess what?

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 387
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 20/4/2011 9:27:17 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

I was looking at some titles and thinking - I wonder if that'll be on Rawlinson's list. It sounds like one of his.

Cos it's awesome?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 388
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 20/4/2011 9:36:30 AM   
elab49

I'd no idea what the film was like. This was based on title alone

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 389
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 - 20/4/2011 9:39:41 AM   
rawlinson

Yeah, but it is awesome.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 390
Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Rawlinson & Elab's top 50s of the year 1977 Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI