Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Lent - What are you giving up......

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: Lent - What are you giving up...... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Lent - What are you giving up...... - 11/3/2011 10:19:32 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass
True, but I've told friends and family as well. The more people I tell the more people I will feel I am lying to if snuck a bag in now and again. On day 3 so far Knowing that Sundays don't count is a bonus but going to work through them as I have a feeling if I start on Sunday I may not stop!!

The problem is if you have the odd slip-up you may progressively fall prey to your monster munching ways and become the monster. "You are what you eat" - so they say. A bit like a 'Princess Fiona'. Even guilt doesn't stop a compulsive liar, actually it feeds their habit because they try to bury their guilt with an instant but ephemeral remedy such as rubbish food.

I'm sure you'll be fine though, all the best!

P.S. Before I come off Scrooge-like. Have you considered/tried complementing it with a new diet? I.e. drinking plenty of water and eating more fruit and veg?

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 11/3/2011 10:20:59 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 31
RE: Lent - What are you giving up...... - 11/3/2011 10:29:13 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

P.S. Before I come off Scrooge-like. Have you considered/tried complementing it with a new diet? I.e. drinking plenty of water and eating more fruit and veg?

Giving up chocolate and crisps means I'll probably be the healthiest person ever I already drink at least 1.5 litres of water a day and get more than my 5 a day (in fact today I have had 5 fruits alone. Crisps and chocolate are just habit and hope to break that. I'm already an exercise addict as well

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 32
RE: Lent - What are you giving up...... - 11/3/2011 10:33:53 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

Giving up chocolate and crisps means I'll probably be the healthiest person ever I already drink at least 1.5 litres of water a day and get more than my 5 a day (in fact today I have had 5 fruits alone. Crisps and chocolate are just habit and hope to break that. I'm already an exercise addict as well

Good lass!

Although remember that walking to the bus and/or tube isn't really exercise...

Do you have a fitness plan when you go to the gym or is it merely a case of doing 'x' minutes on the treadmill etc?

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

Post #: 33
RE: Lent - What are you giving up...... - 11/3/2011 10:39:43 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

Do you have a fitness plan when you go to the gym or is it merely a case of doing 'x' minutes on the treadmill etc?

You want my fitness plan?

Saturday - Park Run (timed 5k) at 9am, Spinning at lunchtime followed by weights
Sunday rest
Monday - 5k run at lunchtime, Body Pump in evening
Tuesday rest
Wednesday - Running club at lunchtime, Combat in evening
Thursday - Punch in evening
Friday - Spinning before work

Oh, and when the weather is lighter for longer I like to cycle to work a couple of days a week (17 miles each way)

< Message edited by Hobbitonlass -- 11/3/2011 10:42:23 PM >

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

Post #: 34
RE: Lent - What are you giving up...... - 11/3/2011 11:12:34 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

You want my fitness plan?

Saturday - Park Run (timed 5k) at 9am, Spinning at lunchtime followed by weights
Sunday rest
Monday - 5k run at lunchtime, Body Pump in evening
Tuesday rest
Wednesday - Running club at lunchtime, Combat in evening
Thursday - Punch in evening
Friday - Spinning before work

Oh, and when the weather is lighter for longer I like to cycle to work a couple of days a week (17 miles each way)

No, I didn't want to know your fitness plan but it's good to see you have a structure. I think far too many just go to the gym and think a few sets on whatever machine they find is good enough. Rather too wayward.

quote:

Weird smiley

You seem to be de-hydrated there, would you like some HO?

All the best with it!

P.P.S. I think I should take up cycling, I'm good at peddling crap.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 11/3/2011 11:18:00 PM >

Post #: 35
RE: Lent - What are you giving up...... - 14/3/2011 11:16:08 AM   
jinks

I tried giving up breathing.

I lasted about 15 seconds.

Post #: 36
RE: Lent - What are you giving up...... - 14/3/2011 12:21:04 PM   
CORLEONE

Given up booze for 40 days. Will be blitzed off 2 pints on April 23rd.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to jinks)
Post #: 37
RE: Lent - What are you giving up...... - 15/3/2011 1:48:19 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

You not waiting until Easter then?

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 38
RE: Lent - What are you giving up...... - 15/3/2011 1:51:11 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

You not waiting until Easter then?

Eh?  Last day of Lent is April 23rd.  That's the day I have ringed with a red circle so I don't forget

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 39
RE: Lent - What are you giving up...... - 15/3/2011 2:10:31 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Precisely. It's the last day of Lent. So, surely Lenten self-denials should be kept until the end of that day or, practically, the next day?

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 40
RE: Lent - What are you giving up...... - 15/3/2011 2:15:05 PM   
Fanboyslayer

I decided this year to give up coffee. I couldn't face doing chocolate and knew I'd buckle so I thought coffee would be a good one to do. Much harder than I thought it would be actually. I know I can have one on a Sunday but I think I'll try and include Sundays too.

Just to spare peoples blushes I feel it's only right that I should point out I'm a girl people! Not in a Crying Game way in the born without a willy way. I hope that's cleared that up.

Post #: 41
RE: Lent - What are you giving up...... - 15/3/2011 2:20:52 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

Precisely. It's the last day of Lent. So, surely Lenten self-denials should be kept until the end of that day or, practically, the next day?

Ah, gotcha.  I had planned on indulging on the Sunday but maybe by then I won't want to

FBS, I was considering tea but there is no way on earth I could function without my morning cuppa so decided chocolate and crisps would be easier (and without headaches).  I've decided to include the Sundays as well and doing well so far.

Post #: 42
RE: Lent - What are you giving up...... - 16/3/2011 12:25:05 PM   
CORLEONE

quote:

Shit! I've already got a big do planned for that day. I'm sure the Lord will allow me a 39 day Lent this year. He is a forgiving being, you know

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

Post #: 43
RE: Lent - What are you giving up...... - 16/3/2011 12:43:05 PM   
Hobbitonlass

If you are including the Sundays then you will have built up a surplus and effectively be on day 45 so I'm sure you'll be okay

1 week down and doing fine!  Even lost 3lbs

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 44
RE: Lent - What are you giving up...... - 16/3/2011 5:13:39 PM   
Beno

I be givin' up worryin' Sheep oi be.

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

Post #: 45
RE: Lent - What are you giving up...... - 17/3/2011 9:55:21 AM   
Fanboyslayer

quote:

FBS, I was considering tea but there is no way on earth I could function without my morning cuppa so decided chocolate and crisps would be easier (and without headaches). I've decided to include the Sundays as well and doing well so far.

I did originally think I would give up caffeine but the thought of going without tea or coffee was just too much!

Just to spare peoples blushes I feel it's only right that I should point out I'm a girl people! Not in a Crying Game way in the born without a willy way. I hope that's cleared that up.

Post #: 46
RE: Lent - What are you giving up...... - 17/3/2011 10:54:30 AM   
CORLEONE

quote:

If you are including the Sundays then you will have built up a surplus and effectively be on day 45 so I'm sure you'll be okay

1 week down and doing fine!  Even lost 3lbs

Yeah, I am including Sundays so that's sorted. Redemption is at hand!

Post #: 47
RE: Lent - What are you giving up...... - 23/4/2011 10:52:23 AM   
Hobbitonlass

Last day today!!!

Don't intend leaving the flat tomorrow so best make sure I'm stocked up today

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 48
RE: Lent - What are you giving up...... - 23/4/2011 12:29:40 PM   
paul.mccluskey

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey

I'm going to try and cut down on eating junk food. Also going off alcohol for the next six weeks. I've also started hitting the gym with a friend to get some exercise and lose weight.

If you haven't already done so, speak to a personal trainer so you can get a workout programme written out for you. A structure and a set of clear goals are important. Once they're sorted, stick to them.

I've went down from 75 kg to 70.4, nearly lost a stone already. Getting quite thinner, which is good .

Post #: 49
RE: Lent - What are you giving up...... - 23/4/2011 1:06:56 PM   
ChickMagnet

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChickMagnet

I'm giving up McDonalds, doesn't sound much but the money grabbing bastards have a branch right round the corner from my house and another round the corner from work, throw in that I'm a lazy git and it's all too easy to go there for lunch/snacks/after-booze noms.

Do Mickey-D's still exist? No-one at works been allowed to have one on punishment of a swift kick in the nuts/lady-parts and I've managed to avoid them all through lent too.

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 50
RE: Lent - What are you giving up...... - 23/4/2011 8:08:18 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Screw Lent. I've just given up loads of stuff a week before Easter. How's that for resisting temptation?

(I don't just mean the week before Easter: I mean, I have chosen the week before Easter to give up, and intend to continue to not consume certain unhealthy foodstuffs after Easter also.)

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 51
RE: Lent - What are you giving up...... - 23/4/2011 8:34:50 PM   
Spaldron

I'm anti-religion, so during lent I stuff my face and drink like hell. Then I fast for the rest of the year. Except Fridays, that's red meat day.

< Message edited by Spaldron -- 23/4/2011 8:35:32 PM >

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

Post #: 52
RE: Lent - What are you giving up...... - 21/2/2013 1:55:03 PM   
homersimpson_esq

This year, rather ambitiously, I have decided to read the entire Bible in Lent. While I haven't given anything up, doing this does rather prevent me doing a lot of other things, as there are only so many hours in the day.

If you are that way inclined, feel free to follow my progress on Twitter, where I am tweeting about it under the hashtag #bibleinlent. (Not all tweets are reverent.)

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 53
RE: Lent - What are you giving up...... - 21/2/2013 1:58:33 PM   
Rinc

I've given up crisps because all too often I buy a massive bag and eat them all in one go. Problem is over the last week I've just eaten more chocolate. So now I'm trying to cut (some) chocolate out.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

Post #: 54
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: Lent - What are you giving up...... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI