Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Best Martial Arts Movies - Fight Wise

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Best Martial Arts Movies - Fight Wise Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Best Martial Arts Movies - Fight Wise - 9/3/2011 12:20:54 PM   
Al Swearengen

i've kind of neglected Martial Arts movies over the years, i'll watch one, love it and then not watch another for ages. Last nigth i watched Ong Bak 2:

I loved Ong Bak and The Warrior King but for some reason it's taken me a long time to getting to watch this. It probably had something to do with the negative reaction to the film, the initial hype of Jaa has definately slowed down and the overall reaction of this was very disappointing. Anyways, i decided to view it anyways, WOW!

This film was insane, i cannot believe the reaction it got. I've read things about a lack of action?!?? did these people watch the same movie? this thing brisked from fight to fight, each one getting crazier and crazier leading to a finale that has to be seen to be believed. This movie definately has some of the best choreographed fight scenes ive ever seen. Story-wise the film had a generic type of 'action-epic' feel with a little bit of Robin Hood chucked in but i thought the whole thing, added with the locations made it an exhilirating experience. I was seriously blown away.

Going to move onto Ong Bak 3 now and with higher expectations and hope for some more breathtaking action.

Anyways, i want to see more fights! i'm by no means an expert in terms of martial arts movies, but ive got a lovefilm rental list waiting to be filled. Name the best people!

*note, ive read that Ong Bak 2 has been cut for western audiences, my copy (r2 blu ray) ran at 94 mins, ive read there's a 2hr 3omin cut. Maybe that's where the lack of action stuff comes from? nothing wrong with the 94min cut though.
Post #: 1
RE: Best Martial Arts Movies - Fight Wise - 9/3/2011 12:56:49 PM   
Rhubarb

Ong Bak 2 was really dissapointing compared with the first and Warrior King.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Al Swearengen)
Post #: 2
RE: Best Martial Arts Movies - Fight Wise - 9/3/2011 1:18:05 PM   
Al Swearengen

really? i didn't think so at all.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 3
RE: Best Martial Arts Movies - Fight Wise - 9/3/2011 1:22:37 PM   
Rhubarb

It went far too far down the "gritty" and "serious" routes, when the fantastical he-just-threw-an-elephant-out-a-window factor were the best thing about the other two films. I did feel that it lacked anything anywhere near as spectacular as OB or WK as well to be honest, I can't recall a single fight scene off the top of my head. I've no idea which cut I watched though, I'd check but I'm not at home.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

Post #: 4
RE: Best Martial Arts Movies - Fight Wise - 9/3/2011 1:39:56 PM   
BatFan

I think the fights to Ong Bak 2 were pretty brutal and good but I can't remember one of them, none of them has the lasting impact of any in the original or Warrior King. I think one of the reasons Ong Bak2 and 3 were not critcally well received is cos the story was complete rubbish, I mean the stories in Ong Bak and Warrior King weren't anything special, but you went along with it. With Ong Bak 2 and 3 I just found myself zoning out whenever there wasn't a fight scene.

"You are in hell, little man! And I am the devil!"
"You're not the devil. You're practice"

Post #: 5
RE: Best Martial Arts Movies - Fight Wise - 9/3/2011 1:57:23 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Anybody that looks like this gets my time

I  Tony Jaa.

I do a small about of Muay Thai in my combat classes but a million miles away from the skill he is but I would love to be able to do some the moves he does.  He's incredible to watch, the way he performs the moves are amazing.

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 6
RE: Best Martial Arts Movies - Fight Wise - 9/3/2011 2:26:36 PM   
Al Swearengen

i had no problem with the story in Ong Bak 2. It's the kind of things that done in all them historical epic type flicks but i thought it was a solid 'origin' style story.

...and seriously? you can't remember the fight with 10,000 guys at the end? using the elephant as a weapon? that thing was spectacular.

Post #: 7
RE: Best Martial Arts Movies - Fight Wise - 10/3/2011 2:04:26 AM   
JoeyPottr

I lot of these movies with martial arts fights in them (if you can call them that are ridiculous) Most of it is wires, green screen or it's acrobatic, it's not martial arts. But as far as martial artists in movies nowadays Jet Li,Jackie Chan and Steven Seagal (even though he's gained a lot of weight, he's still a master in aikido) are at the top of my list. I wouldn't call Van Damme's movies fight wise that realistic either, it's more flexibility.Tony Jaa is good, but he doesn't compare to masters like Li, Chan, and Seagal and they are ALL masters. Actors can learn martial arts but martial artists like Jet Li, Jackie Chan and Steven Seagal ( I think Chuck Norris is retired from acting) they move different than non martial artists. Any movie with Bruce Lee, Jet Li, Jackie Chan or Steven Seagal would be my pick I just can't remember them all.

wandering through the tall grass of life

Post #: 8
RE: Best Martial Arts Movies - Fight Wise - 10/3/2011 2:11:07 AM   
Al Swearengen

yeh, i hear what your saying. But at the end of the day if i want to see martial arts performed realistically i'll go watch some mixed martial arts fighting (im a massive mma fan). Movie fights are different, i expect them to be unrealistic, that's half the fun.

(in reply to JoeyPottr)
Post #: 9
RE: Best Martial Arts Movies - Fight Wise - 10/3/2011 3:29:24 PM   
directorscut

Too much Tony Jaa in this thread.

Heroes of the East
Drunken Master II
The Young Master
8 Diagram Pole Fighter
Fist of Legend
My Young Auntie

Also Last Hurrah for Chivalry, a swordsplay movie but the fight scenes are mental.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 10
RE: Best Martial Arts Movies - Fight Wise - 10/3/2011 3:50:44 PM   
rick_7

I'll second The Young Master and Fist of Legend.

As an unconventional one, I like the final scene of Dragon Lord, *SOME SPOILERS* with Jackie Chan and his mate getting their arses kicked for most of it, before making radical use of a big slide.

Knockabout with Yuen Biao and Sammo Hung has some great fight sequences in too.

Once Upon a Time in China I, II and perhaps even III are worth a mention.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 11
RE: Best Martial Arts Movies - Fight Wise - 10/3/2011 8:10:57 PM   
rich

Ong Bak 2 was great. Part 3 is dissapointing though, and comments about a lack of action in that are very true. Tony Jaa is good, but watch Born to Fight and Chocolate too. Also see Ip Man, and the full cut of Fearless.

As for the classics, I will third The Young Master, and throw in The Prodigal Son, the first Drunken Master and The Magnificent Butcher. Dont expect much in the way of serious drama though

< Message edited by rich -- 10/3/2011 8:13:05 PM >

Meanwhile...

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 12
RE: Best Martial Arts Movies - Fight Wise - 11/3/2011 2:07:23 PM   
Timon

The fights in Donnie Yen's Flashpoint are some of the most brutal I've seen...

Would also recommend;

Ip Man
Wheels on Meals
Police Story

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 13
RE: Best Martial Arts Movies - Fight Wise - 11/3/2011 6:25:04 PM   
theforthman

Blood & Bone
It's a bad film with cheesey stereotypes, but Michael Jai White displays his martial arts skills to full effect. Watch it for the fights, not the script.

Donuts don't wear alligator shoes.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 14
RE: Best Martial Arts Movies - Fight Wise - 11/3/2011 6:36:49 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Another shout for Ip Man. Chocolate also has great fight scenes

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to theforthman)
Post #: 15
RE: Best Martial Arts Movies - Fight Wise - 11/3/2011 8:56:03 PM   
richie fingers

BLOOD SPORT- Every time i see it i get geared up and do a high kick in the kitchen when no one sees - pull a ham string - limp back in the front room then sit my fat ass back down on the couch. DOH!

i shoulda broke YOUR thumb!

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 16
RE: Best Martial Arts Movies - Fight Wise - 12/3/2011 12:31:43 AM   
Mr Grady

And the No Retreat No Surrender comes back again.  C'mon Clowny tell us again about that blogger that gave many reasons why NRNS is the best.  Please, i've forgotten now.

Champagne for my real friends, and real pain for my sham friends

'My wife has an ass in her cock in the drive way'

(in reply to richie fingers)
Post #: 17
RE: Best Martial Arts Movies - Fight Wise - 13/3/2011 1:49:57 PM   
richie fingers

i loved that movie when i was younger. got a copy off ebay last year. corny as fuck but still good.

i shoulda broke YOUR thumb!

(in reply to Mr Grady)
Post #: 18
RE: Best Martial Arts Movies - Fight Wise - 16/3/2011 12:07:25 AM   
MuckyMuckMan

No contest - IP MAN

also Killzone with Donnie Yen and Sammo Hung is a good MA film

My Film Collection:
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/MuckyMuckMan
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
Thor: Dark World 3.5/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

(in reply to richie fingers)
Post #: 19
RE: Best Martial Arts Movies - Fight Wise - 17/3/2011 1:10:29 PM   
Zaphod121

Also have to agree with IP Man, not seen Donnie Yen in anything else but is really amazing to watch. Is IP Man 2 any good?

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to MuckyMuckMan)
Post #: 20
RE: Best Martial Arts Movies - Fight Wise - 17/3/2011 1:50:00 PM   
great_badir

As others have already said, between Jackie Chan, Donnie Yen and Yuen Biao you've pretty much got decent martial arts covered.  Donnie's films are generally average, but contain some amazing martial arts, albeit heavy on the wirework.

For me Jackie's Police Story films contain some of the best fight sequences, even if the sequels themselves are severely lacking.  Police Story 2, for example, whilst arguably the weakest of the series, contains perhaps the single best fight sequence of Jackie's career (in the bar).

Tony Jaa is a fine martial artist to be sure, but (in my opinion I should stress at this point) he is as equally over rated as Bruce Lee and the films he's been in so far have generally been pretty poor.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 21
RE: Best Martial Arts Movies - Fight Wise - 17/3/2011 4:26:03 PM   
goldleader

Others to check out depending on what you are after:

Jackie Chan (comedy over the top fights scences with amazing stunts):

Armour of God (the fight with the women with heels is amazing) click
First Strike (the fight with the step ladders is so much fun) click
Gorgeous ( the film is just crap but the one fight scence in its is the dogs balls) part1      part2
I could go on forever as he has made so many films and each one has i good fight and some amazing stunts in.

Bruce Lee (more serious, the films themselfs are all very much the same theme, stranger saves people from nasty people):

The Way of The Dragon ( fight at the end is brilliant with Chuck Norris)  click
Game of Death (fight with the tall black guy is very good) click

< Message edited by goldleader -- 18/3/2011 9:00:43 AM >

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 22
RE: Best Martial Arts Movies - Fight Wise - 17/3/2011 5:06:43 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir
Tony Jaa is a fine martial artist to be sure, but (in my opinion I should stress at this point) he is as equally over rated as Bruce Lee and the films he's been in so far have generally been pretty poor.

Looking at how he exploded after Ong-Bak and the Warrior King, which both contain some absolutely stunning sequences, its pretty much no surprise that Jaa might have become quickly over-valued, and although he seems a bit off the rails, I'm sure he'll bounce back with some better materiel than the Bak sequels.

Re Bruce Lee, his influence and importance on and to Hong Kong cinema means his reputation is basically deserved, however rated he is. I actually still really like his movies, and the sheer phsicality of what he could achieve, but they can only really be watched as a starting point - which tragically he didn't get to explore further than he did. I'm not saying you're wrong to say he's overrated, perhaps he is, but there is a real joy in his films I think.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 23
RE: Best Martial Arts Movies - Fight Wise - 17/3/2011 5:19:43 PM   
st3veebee

Iron Monkey has some particularly epic moments.

Drags in parts (and has that appalling theme song) but the fight scenes in Once Upon a Time in China are incredibly put together.

I did like Ong Bak except for Jaa's insistence of replaying his own stunts; just a bit arrogant but some great sequences.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 24
RE: Best Martial Arts Movies - Fight Wise - 18/3/2011 12:35:12 PM   
Al Swearengen

picked up IP Man today, can't wait to watch that.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 25
RE: Best Martial Arts Movies - Fight Wise - 18/3/2011 12:56:24 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee
Drags in parts (and has that appalling theme song) but the fight scenes in Once Upon a Time in China are incredibly put together.

Agreed.  And the cinematography is gorgeous.  The sequels are not all that, as per, of course.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 26
RE: Best Martial Arts Movies - Fight Wise - 22/3/2011 10:22:34 AM   
TheSomnambulist

Enter the Dragon - I still marvel at the finalé with the mirrors. That's just incredible.

Ong Bak was awesome to watch but there was a little too much focus on close-ups of folk getting hit in the face and seeing the flesh wobble! Took me right out of the film. However those fights are amazing!

Still when all said and done I enjoy Jackie Chan's efforts more than any other as he's also entertaining. Operation Condor is still my favourite from the Armour of God series. Thing about Jackie is that as well as the big stunts he does little things that are just so cool too. The food fight in Drunken Master for example. Just a delight to watch.

"Well.... Here I am...."

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 27
RE: Best Martial Arts Movies - Fight Wise - 4/4/2011 3:05:38 PM   
wilky007

Showdown In Little Tokyo
Loosely a martial arts film, but still is.

Generally a geeky individual :P
If a mute swears does its mother wash it's hands with soap?

Follow me - twitter.com/wwiillkkyy
( I follow back)

Post #: 28
RE: Best Martial Arts Movies - Fight Wise - 6/7/2011 11:54:18 AM   
gazpop

For me, when we talk about cinema martial arts, Mr Chan is the daddy. He grew up in the China Drama Academy, a Peking Opera School, with Yuen Biao and Sammo Hung. Training for 10 years in unbelievably harsh conditions. Being made to repeat certain exercise over and over and over for hours on end til they got them right. Being punished severely when getting them wrong. No wonder they became and remain the very best of friends.

He managed, in his career, to mix both serious and comedic styles. Sometimes one type in one film, sometimes both together. Young Master and Drunken Master 1 and 2 are all-time classics, along with Snake in the Eagle's Claw (all bona fide shaolin-style masterpieces, my fave style of martial arts). Eat your heart out Sly, JCVD et all with your training montages. This guy may not have invented the idea, but he perfected it. Getting smacked with bamboo, shlepping buckets of water up steps, reverse push ups with your master sitting on your belly....smoking!!

My 4 more modern faves are Project A (with the Keaton homages), Police Story (the finale is perhaps my favourite and undoubtedly one of the most incredible scenes ever committed to cellulose), Wheels on Meals (with the fight at the end against Benny 'the jet' Urguidez being one of the greatest modern one-on-one scenes I can remember. I think I recall certain film and fighting magazines voting it number 1 on many occasions), and Armor Of God (as someone mentioned earlier, the fight against the 3 amazon warriors in the mountain, wow, I must have replayed parts of that so many times....how he didn't kill them in real life I'll never know).

He mixes comedy into these 4 films in a way few others could. And then he does something so audacious it takes your breath (and possibly nearly his life) away.
So, there you go. Jackie Chan films all the way. Apart from JC's modern stuff, there haven't been anywhere near as many good films in the last 15 years as there were from the Golden Hong Kong years. But that's just my opinion. Fight!!

< Message edited by gazpop -- 6/7/2011 12:02:39 PM >

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

(in reply to wilky007)
Post #: 29
RE: Best Martial Arts Movies - Fight Wise - 6/7/2011 11:19:14 PM   
st3veebee

I see it has been mentioned a few times already, but dammit: Ip Man was insanely good in parts.

Also:

-Enter the Dragon

-Fist of Legend

-Pretty much and Jackie Chan film after his early early ones

Ong Bak was excellent except for those bloody replays: did my head in.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Best Martial Arts Movies - Fight Wise Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI